What's new

First and second choice characters.

Hey guys!

I see quite a few people on here talking about First and second choice fighters. Is that normally the way it works? I am still learning the game really and want to take it a bit more seriously, is it best to get a favourite and second favourite fighter.

Vjeekes

DevilApes
Hi,
its all up to you but its good to have a main and a secundary main to cover as much as matchups as possible
for example: if you main a rushdown character with no zoning ability, it would be good to choose a secondary main with good zoning skills to help you out in certain matches

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
There is no right answer to this question.

Perhaps you only really like/click with one character or are a character loyalist. There are others who like to have teams of characters just for fun and there are others that like to have a team to cover match ups.

For example, I play Goro and Kitana. They're both footsie heavy characters, but one is more about strong zoning footsies while the other is more about strong up close footises. They cater to my desire for varied gameplay and I happen to really like both as characters. Coincidentally, they tend to cover each other pretty well mu wise too.

Customize your strategy based on your skills, playstyle and personality. What works for me or someone else might not work for you or it might, but experiment and have fun with it.

Hidan

Where the hell is Reiko's wheel kick
Hey guys!

I see quite a few people on here talking about First and second choice fighters. Is that normally the way it works? I am still learning the game really and want to take it a bit more seriously, is it best to get a favourite and second favourite fighter.
No

Most ppl play multiple chars to cover bad matchups (because they don't like their character's variations).
Many get bored and want to try other playstyles.
And some have just too much free time to go around messing with 50% of the roster to troll in case they win.

So, go with the one who makes you like the game in the first place.

Stick to him/her till you get bored.

Learn a secondary who can fight your boredom even if it's almost the same gameplay.

TheKingsAutopsy

The Bow, The Bird
Just learn the fighters that interest you as characters and don't worry about tier lists. If you find yourself learning multiple characters you have options for matchups, if you find yourself only playing one then all of your energy will go into perfecting that character and you'll learn the matchups yourself. People like Sonicfox know multiples and that works for them, while people like UA Scar are loyal to a single character and that works for them.

Gofer_MK_

Banned
Go first by who you like and feel comfortable/natural to play with. My main is Kano because I really like him, something in his design just clicks with me since forever. So I main both Cutthroat and Cybernetic and got covered MU's pretty well (or at least I would have had if I did not suck at this game) and now I am trying out Erron Black and Kotal Khan because they are looking interesting to me. :)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Go first by who you like and feel comfortable/natural to play with. My main is Kano because I really like him, something in his design just clicks with me since forever. So I main both Cutthroat and Cybernetic and got covered MU's pretty well (or at least I would have had if I did not suck at this game) and now I am trying out Erron Black and Kotal Khan because they are looking interesting to me. :)
If you play all variations of Kotal I can't really see you having too much trouble with any character. War God is really good and Sun is a good backup. Blood God is good too imo KK is a complete character.

Gofer_MK_

Banned
If you play all variations of Kotal I can't really see you having too much trouble with any character. War God is really good and Sun is a good backup. Blood God is good too imo KK is a complete character.
Yeah. Usually when I pick up a character in MKX I try to learn his all variations not just one. Started out with Sun God and now I'm testing War God.

Northern Slasher

Heads or Tails X
Totally up to you. I've never been a tier whore just a character loyalist to Sub Zero. Except Jason..I'm a huge Friday the 13th fan so I keep him in my back pocket.