What's new

Firestorm - Trait Discussion

Gengar

Hypnosis > Dreameater (its a reset)
Id like to have a thread discussing the specifics and strategies surrounding Firestorms trait. I think that his trait has to be integral to the character, and as such it deserves attention that doesnt get lost in the endless ramblings of the 'general discussion' thread.

First, id like to just put out some facts that may be unknown to some.

Firestorms trait appears to be the longest naturally recharging trait, 36 second recharge time base. Firestorms trait also does not charge between rounds like the majority of the cast, I believe only Canary also suffers from this.

While the trait does have a fairly long recharge time, you can charge it faster with various moves. It appears that all fire based specials, which is all of his specials with base gear, will charge the trait up a small amount on hit. Additionally, landing a throw will charge the trait up quite a bit (by comparison at least.) Throw seems to give about 50% of a bar of trait, give or take. Molten trap restands, in the corner particularly, are great opportunities to throw the opponent as well to take advantage of this.

Now lets get into some properties. First, the trait has 3 levels, each level increases the rate that you heal and I also believe that it increases the damage buff on fire based moves, however lvls 1 and 2 are so useless that i havent done enough testing to figure the exact damage increase differences. lvl 1 and 2 trait do not change the properties of any moves aside from damage, however lvl 3 changes the properties for all sorts of moves:

b2 becomes a launcher that can be followed up very easily for combos.
b12 also becomes a bit of a pop up, tho the timing is fairly strict for following up after this mid screen.
f1332 knocks the opponent full screen now instead of just a HKD
113 becomes a launcher that is also easily followed up
All specials do more damage and apply more knock back
MB versions of all specials apply a dot
bf3 does not have a MB, so it applies the dot to the regular version
bd2 has significantly increased hit stun, allowing for guaranteed throw attemps as well as 50/50s between another trap and b2
while not relevant for comp play, abilities also add the dot without requiring MB, but i havent played with enough to confirm this.
Also worth noting, it does not appear that the fire shield (db1) is affected by trait lvls, the shield applies a 20% damage reduction across the board at all times.

The trait has its own share of problems however. Firstly, the long recharge time means that in many fights it wont hit lvl 3 til the tail end of the 1st life bar. You dont want to activate it before either of you lose that bar either, because you lose precious trait time between rounds. So unless the fight is slow you are not going to find time to trait up before one of you loses a life bar. Now, if you lose your life bar first you wont wanna use it right away because you waste the heal, and if they are close to death you will waste trait time when you win. If the inverse happens its still alot of the same scenario, if you beat them but dont have a solid life lead then you may waste trait time when you end the round.

So its hard to get it out on the first life bars, unless the round is slow. So now its the 2nd life bars, your trait should be charged, lets use it right? not really. On the 2nd bar, soon as you hit them alot of players will clash and eat your trait. Clashing completey removes your trait and you have to start all over from zero charge. Same goes for transitions and super moves.

I think thats my biggest problem with the trait, it doesnt feel like it activates often enough for it to be really useful. First round its not a factor, and 2nd round if i still have it then they have means of just nuking it off me. I have had way too many games go without me actually being able to use the trait, other than to throw a few fireballs. All the fun stuff about the trait, the combos it opens up and damage, is too easily nullified by basic defensive options built into the system. It should recharge between rounds or start at half charge so i can actually use it consistently each round.

technically this is just my excuse to bitch about the traits flaws, but it also can serve as a resource for players to better understand the trait, seeing as NRS chose did not bother to detail how it works, as well as a place for people to figure out some answers to the problems his trait faces.

Last edited:

kevkopdx

Noob
Id like to have a thread discussing the specifics and strategies surrounding Firestorms trait. I think that his trait has to be integral to the character, and as such it deserves attention that doesnt get lost in the endless ramblings of the 'general discussion' thread.

First, id like to just put out some facts that may be unknown to some.

Firestorms trait appears to be the longest naturally recharging trait, 36 second recharge time base. Firestorms trait also does not charge between rounds like the majority of the cast, I believe only Canary also suffers from this.

While the trait does have a fairly long recharge time, you can charge it faster with various moves. It appears that all fire based specials, which is all of his specials with base gear, will charge the trait up a small amount on hit. Additionally, landing a throw will charge the trait up quite a bit (by comparison at least.) Throw seems to give about 50% of a bar of trait, give or take. Molten trap restands, in the corner particularly, are great opportunities to throw the opponent as well to take advantage of this.

Now lets get into some properties. First, the trait has 3 levels, each level increases the rate that you heal and I also believe that it increases the damage buff on fire based moves, however lvls 1 and 2 are so useless that i havent done enough testing to figure the exact damage increase differences. lvl 1 and 2 trait do not change the properties of any moves aside from damage, however lvl 3 changes the properties for all sorts of moves:

b2 becomes a launcher that can be followed up very easily for combos.
b12 also becomes a bit of a pop up, tho the timing is fairly strict for following up after this mid screen.
f1332 knocks the opponent full screen now instead of just a HKD
114 becomes a launcher that is also easily followed up
All specials do more damage and apply more knock back
MB versions of all specials apply a dot
bf3 does not have a MB, so it applies the dot to the regular version
bd2 has significantly increased hit stun, allowing for guaranteed throw attemps as well as 50/50s between another trap and b2
while not relevant for comp play, abilities also add the dot without requiring MB, but i havent played with enough to confirm this.
Also worth noting, it does not appear that the fire shield (db1) is affected by trait lvls, the shield applies a 20% damage reduction across the board at all times.

The trait has its own share of problems however. Firstly, the long recharge time means that in many fights it wont hit lvl 3 til the tail end of the 1st life bar. You dont want to activate it before either of you lose that bar either, because you lose precious trait time between rounds. So unless the fight is slow you are not going to find time to trait up before one of you loses a life bar. Now, if you lose your life bar first you wont wanna use it right away because you waste the heal, and if they are close to death you will waste trait time when you win. If the inverse happens its still alot of the same scenario, if you beat them but dont have a solid life lead then you may waste trait time when you end the round.

So its hard to get it out on the first life bars, unless the round is slow. So now its the 2nd life bars, your trait should be charged, lets use it right? not really. On the 2nd bar, soon as you hit them alot of players will clash and eat your trait. Clashing completey removes your trait and you have to start all over from zero charge. Same goes for transitions and super moves.

I think thats my biggest problem with the trait, it doesnt feel like it activates often enough for it to be really useful. First round its not a factor, and 2nd round if i still have it then they have means of just nuking it off me. I have had way too many games go without me actually being able to use the trait, other than to throw a few fireballs. All the fun stuff about the trait, the combos it opens up and damage, is too easily nullified by basic defensive options built into the system. It should recharge between rounds or start at half charge so i can actually use it consistently each round.

technically this is just my excuse to bitch about the traits flaws, but it also can serve as a resource for players to better understand the trait, seeing as NRS chose did not bother to detail how it works, as well as a place for people to figure out some answers to the problems his trait faces.
nice write up, thank you!

Gengar

nice write up, thank you!
Thank you! Didnt see a thread dedicated to this so figured I would create one. I really feel like maximizing this character is going to entail mastering his trait, more so than some of other characters.

kevkopdx

Noob
Thank you! Didnt see a thread dedicated to this so figured I would create one. I really feel like maximizing this character is going to entail mastering his trait, more so than some of other characters.
yeah its a good discussion topic, theres gotta be some secret tech to explore. i think its still early to tell whether his trait load time is appropriate, its a pretty powerful tool ... that being said, i **think** i would take quicker reload and sacrifice damage... it adds some much needed overheads and lows to his tool set.

Last edited:

Harlequin969

Always press buttons
Honestly just make lvl 2 trait worth it. Give b2, b12, 113 the same bounce capabilities. Leave all the special enhancements stay with lvl 3 trait. Molten trap getting that hitstun is powerful and should be a pay off for lvl 3 trait. However getting more combo opportunities fits lvl 2 trait where you're mid life bar and those extra threats can win you that round or game.

cambros22

Stand Back I'm a Doctor!!!!!!
I only trait up at lvl 3. In almost all cases, I have moved my opponent to the corner before activating trait. I feel that the best time to use it is when you successfully land a a mb molten trap. It allows for a continuation of combos and a guaranteed mixup from trait trap. Using it on knockdowns is decent as well since it makes your opponent have to respect more options. I dont think that it fills up too slow. If your winning rounds quickly with good punishes and mixing or your losing rounds very quickly, it can feel like it's not always there.

Dr_3k

Noob
Level 2 seems almost pointless, and i always try to wait till after the opponent clashes to use level 3 but at that point the fights almost over. It definetly feels like trait needs tweaked. I like the idea of starting a game with half my trait bar or level 2 having the pop up options. Hell giving level 2 trait the b12 pop up would be more then enough

Gengar

Level 2 seems almost pointless, and i always try to wait till after the opponent clashes to use level 3 but at that point the fights almost over. It definetly feels like trait needs tweaked. I like the idea of starting a game with half my trait bar or level 2 having the pop up options. Hell giving level 2 trait the b12 pop up would be more then enough
Agreed, i think the trait should start with some charge on it so that you can consistently hit lvl 3 in round 1 and use it before it becomes pointless. Plenty of other characters start with their trait fully charged, i dont think it would place firestorm in broken territory if he got a bit of a headstart.

Gengar

Db 3 works differently gravity wise during trait level 3
yeah, all of the specials have more damage and knock back in lvl3. I didnt highlight db3 specifically, but it is argually the most important one to take note of since its typically used in bnb combos but does NOT work the same way in lvl 3 (when you cross under for 3~db33 after a b3 lvl3 will send them too far to continue the combo) meaning that an adjustment is necessary. In the corner however the change isnt really noticeable, i think it just allows you to easily hit 2 db3 before the molten restand

Rabid Justice

Your Soul Is Mine
Why does his damage over time go away if you hit them. kind of makes it useless outside of ending combos with one. Can't even use it in frame traps. Is his that only one that does this?

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
Clashing completey removes your trait and you have to start all over from zero charge. Same goes for transitions and super moves.

I think thats my biggest problem with the trait, it doesnt feel like it activates often enough for it to be really useful. First round its not a factor, and 2nd round if i still have it then they have means of just nuking it off me.
Agreed, the problem is NRS's terrible implementation of cutscenes. If you clash with Firestorms trait up, he should come right back out with trait in the same spot, or even counting down from the top of the bar he was currently at. A lot of characters need this change because traits and cutscenes are dumb at the moment.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
Level 2 gives you a pretty significant damage buff.....do your max damage corner bnb's with both level 2 and 3 trait, there is a pretty significant damage difference.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
tbh i think trait is really good. i like to save it for unclashable territory because your special moves become incredibly dumb. regular ass fireball knocks down, ex fireball does silly damage, ex carpet does a billion chip, landing regular ass carpet gives you free 50/50. ex carpet f3, f3 does mad damage. i think thats really where you'll be using it the most or to force early clashes.

i also feel like in certain MUs trait is more useful because you build it up quicker. in matchups where you are supposed to play projectiles, level 1 trait is very good because you start winning trades you dont normally win and the ones you win you win even more now, such as dr fate and harely.

jmt

Noob
Firestorm will never compete with the top characters. He definitely needs some fixes. His trait is one of the things that needs buffed.

Cooljaxx

Mkx is the name , Mix is the game
Oh yeah guys btw ex meaty db3 jails into s2 . Meaning it might be around plus 10 but I'll keep checking it out .

Cooljaxx

Mkx is the name , Mix is the game
Well I just realized, wrong thread ‍♂. My bad everyone will move this to another Thead