What's new

Firestorm MU Discussion

KGA Prosaic

RM Prosaic
I feel like firestorm handles the top tier killers well, aka Superman, Aquaman, and Astrotits. Aquaman being the funnest matchup for me getting to punish is zoning for real damage.

I'm struggling against Batman, Supergirl, and Deadshot currently. Everything else feels manageable. Haven't played any competent Cyborgs or Grodd.

I feel like the lack of anti airs really defines the Batman matchups. While bats traits lets him make 1000 mistakes in the neutral it also allows him to jump in on Firestorm for free.
Supergirl loses to everyone with a 6f poke and firestorm doesnt have that. This is my most grinded matchup and one I am comfort saying is a downhill battle at a 6-4 or 6.5-3.5 is we're doing these numbers and Ill explain why
- She can full combo punish firestorm if he uses his fireball 3/4s screen
- Her d2 crushes his air dash set ups
- Her d1xxcancels only trade at best if you use bf3 (8f reversal)
- ji2 will win the trade against a d2, db3 feels like a read still.
- She can full combo punish MB flame carpet 3/4s screen with ia jump forward dash ji2
- Firestorm has to hold her ambiguous cross up setups, yes he can delay wakeup to help with that issue.
- I need to really reiterate that the best case scenero he has against her d1 pressure is a trade if he yolos bf3. and i mean yolo.

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Green Lantern and Supergirl both seem do-able, though I probably haven't faced any god-tier level Supergirls.

I'm a former GL main myself, and he hasn't changed too much from IJ1 (RIP safe Machine Gun and rockets) . After running a long set against another GL player, I've found baiting and whiff punishing his b1 and strings and using enders that create distance for zoning is the successful thing to do here. Building meter, and making him respect your instant mb fireball is key. Jumps are easily read and checked with Firestorm's psycho crusher. I've also seen his f3 go over GL's b1 which is hilarious.

I could see both matchups as being 5-5 honestly. The fact Firestorm has an airdash REALLY helps out and makes these fights less stressful than if you were to play someone like, oh say, Captain Cold.

In fact, I'd say Firestorm is like a Captain Cold with better zoning, better trap, better normals/mixups, and an airdash. Having a lot of fun with him, and it's great being able to fight Aquaman, Black Adam, and Superman without having to respect their usual game and work hard for the win.

Last edited:

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I feel like firestorm handles the top tier killers well, aka Superman, Aquaman, and Astrotits. Aquaman being the funnest matchup for me getting to punish is zoning for real damage.

I'm struggling against Batman, Supergirl, and Deadshot currently. Everything else feels manageable. Haven't played any competent Cyborgs or Grodd.

I feel like the lack of anti airs really defines the Batman matchups. While bats traits lets him make 1000 mistakes in the neutral it also allows him to jump in on Firestorm for free.
Supergirl loses to everyone with a 6f poke and firestorm doesnt have that. This is my most grinded matchup and one I am comfort saying is a downhill battle at a 6-4 or 6.5-3.5 is we're doing these numbers and Ill explain why
- She can full combo punish firestorm if he uses his fireball 3/4s screen
- Her d2 crushes his air dash set ups
- Her d1xxcancels only trade at best if you use bf3 (8f reversal)
- ji2 will win the trade against a d2, db3 feels like a read still.
- She can full combo punish MB flame carpet 3/4s screen with ia jump forward dash ji2
- Firestorm has to hold her ambiguous cross up setups, yes he can delay wakeup to help with that issue.
- I need to really reiterate that the best case scenero he has against her d1 pressure is a trade if he yolos bf3. and i mean yolo.
I agree with pretty much all of this, the Batman MU is completely aids.

Supergirl I'm not so sure though. Everything you said is true except for the Fireball thing, you can bait a teleport with a S1 ,as the animation is almost the same as fireball, and punish it. I don't feel like thats enough to make it any worse than a 6-4 at the very worst though

KGA Prosaic

RM Prosaic
Deadshot is pretty frustrating, like 4-6 frustrating.
How I try to handle the MU, of course duck and walk the high bullets.
After any other projectile though you get a free reversal dash to close in space. They also have to respect a molten trap if reversal. That in mind, when I play the MU I let deadshot get a little carried away with his zoning making him think I don't know his frame adv after the other fireballs. Meaning, i'll respect the follow up after a low rifle so they think i think its +. If that makes any sense. Then the next time it gets done i can open with mb lava trap. db1 helps in this mu. leave the deadshot restand so you dont have to deal with wakeups. and try not to use air dash as much unless you read the low riffle.

MB Fireball going away on hit makes this mu unbearable though.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Deadshot is pretty frustrating, like 4-6 frustrating.
How I try to handle the MU, of course duck and walk the high bullets.
After any other projectile though you get a free reversal dash to close in space. They also have to respect a molten trap if reversal. That in mind, when I play the MU I let deadshot get a little carried away with his zoning making him think I don't know his frame adv after the other fireballs. Meaning, i'll respect the follow up after a low rifle so they think i think its +. If that makes any sense. Then the next time it gets done i can open with mb lava trap. db1 helps in this mu. leave the deadshot restand so you dont have to deal with wakeups. and try not to use air dash as much unless you read the low riffle.

MB Fireball going away on hit makes this mu unbearable though.
Something to note, if you read mb low rifle you can air charge over it and punish him on the other side. It is a hard read though as he can punish you if you do anything else, but it's an option nonetheless

Wetdoba

All too easy...
Can I grind the Bane mu with someone here? This character is a little awkward to fight against for me and i need the xp

kevkopdx

Noob
funny that if wonder woman uses her projectile defect, firestorms fusion charge goes right through her lol, oddly never had this happen in match until today

LaidbackOne

Scrubby nice guy
After playing firestorm for a while I can say he's hot garbage. He has NO reliable AA and no overhead or low starters. His damage is medium. He has good corner carry and a decent crouch 1. He has no safe wakeup options. Too bad when you get your opponent to the corner you have no high/low mixups. He has almost no redeeming qualities.
This is one of the worst posts I've seen on this site in a long time. Wtf

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
funny that if wonder woman uses her projectile defect, firestorms fusion charge goes right through her lol, oddly never had this happen in match until today
Yeah this also happens with Catwomans evade thing. Maybe charge counts as a projectile