What's new

Strategy Finding solutions to low hitbox characters

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Over the course of the last few days, I've been trying to come up with new ways of playing Sub-Zero against low hitbox characters. While I think I've come up with some good stuff in the lab, I am not going to claim all of this is absolutely new, because some of you may have already implemented some of this stuff into your game. I don't know, but I haven't seen anyone using it yet.

After talking with Glue, I've come to the conclusion that Sub-Zero cannot allow the usual suspects to get away from him. One of the problems I've had as a Sub player is cloning out and going back to the neutral game far too often. The clone makes Sub-Zero's pressure relatively safe (not completely) but also leaves him where he doesn't want to be against a significant protion of the cast. So, how does he get in and stay in is the question for every Sub-Zero player.

Against low hitbox characters such as, Reptile, Sektor, Mileena, Kitana, etc, and just about anybody you can think of who usually gets away from you on wakeup, I am going to say something I never thought I would, Sub has to use b121 where he can to end combos in order to create the opportunity for the sort of mixups I am going to explain below:

After b121, I think Sub's best option is to dash in and use standing 3. Standing 3 hits low hitbox characters in neutral crouch and while they're crouch blocking and it creates the obvious mixup of 3f4 (f4 is an overhead) and 3, slide. I want to point out that I know this is a very risky mixup for seemingly low reward. However, I think the reward you get is less obvious than the 11 or 13% you get for a correct read. Here's why:

The standing 3 not only leads to the low/overhead mixup, it also commits your opponent (even low hitbox characters) to stay blocking after the b121 which legitimises your option for a throw. Not only that. because standing 3 leads to f4 and the slide, you can use 3 and then step in while your opponent is trying to guard against the low and overhead option and continue pressure (which is what the setup is ultimately created to award you with: pressure against low hitbox characters).

The options off this become obvious almost immediately but here is a less obvious ones I figured out. Standing 3, on block will give you a max range d4 which can be cancelled with iceball. Give that the d4 is at max range, the iceball is as safe as it is possible to make it after a d4. It is not completely safe and can be punished by not just advancing specials but also by the normals of some characters, I believe. Kitana springs to mind immediately, but a character like Reptile can only punsih you with the dash and so the option becomes more viable. It's just a question of knowing your matchups and the person you're playing against. It creates its own guessing game as you can make them respect the d4, iceball afterwards and simply step in to pressure after d4 or clone for safety.

Let me know what you think. If there are any obvious problems, bring them up because this is just my best effort at making Sub's pressure more legitimate against low hitboxes. Thanks for reading if you made it this far, lol.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
In the paper seems interesting. I'll check this out in real matches and tell you what I think next.

Fatality_check

Never Gonna Give
Hmm...good ol 3 ay? Thought there might be some sort of use for those combo's. I'll have to test some of this out.

I have been doing something very similar with mixed results. A very neat trick is if you check the player from jumping with 3 it leads to a dash d1 (2 1) setup etc... reliably is an issue but it gets mad stylin points.

Low reward / high risk IMO

better option is to commit JP after b121 since u have frame adv and AA will be harder to land.
If u time your 21 after b121 perfectly it`ll hit low hitbox characters or no? I always thought that i hits them.
Salvific u are from EU? You play online or off only?

Seapeople

This one's for you
2 won't whiff after b121 if you time it correctly. If this weren't the case, you're ideas could maybe be a good option.

That's why b121 has become Sub zero's bnb because 212/214/224~clone is 5% chip damage giving you the same damage as his regular Bnb, no wakeup and an ice clone. The throw also can't be jumped if you time it correctly after b121.

Against low hitbox characters, d4 is really the only thing that keeps his rushdown going which doesn't work too well lol. Against regular-sized characters, the biggest problem I have found is dealing with armor after b121/pressure in general.

2 won't whiff after b121 if you time it correctly. If this weren't the case, you're ideas could maybe be a good option.

That's why b121 has become Sub zero's bnb because 212/214/224~clone is 5% chip damage giving you the same damage as his regular Bnb, no wakeup and an ice clone. The throw also can't be jumped if you time it correctly after b121.

Against low hitbox characters, d4 is really the only thing that keeps his rushdown going which doesn't work too well lol. Against regular-sized characters, the biggest problem I have found is dealing with armor after b121/pressure in general.
I Think that Subby has 2 BnBs combos
#1) JP,B12,Freeze,B121 --> pressure
#2) JP,B12,Freeze,NJP,1,B12,212,slide --> wall carry + knockdown pressure / baiting wakeups

i think both combos should be used depends on matchup
some examples
i always go for combo #2 versus Reptile/Kitana/Kenshi/Ermac/Raiden/JC/Quan Chi
I use this combo vs characters that i cant pressure after B121 ( hi raiden ) or vs characters with weak wakeups ( hi quan chi ) or characters that are vunerable to d4 knockdown pressure ( hi kitana ) or vs characters that i like to have in corner ( hi reptile )

Seapeople

This one's for you
There's overall less risk/same reward for b121. I guess it's nice to put your opponent in different mixups sometimes, but there's not much reason to use the old bnb unless you can't afford to be armor punished.

well i think B121 is superior to old BNB in many matchups but IMO in some matchups wall carry + knockdown pressure is more important than throw or mixup after B121, u prefer to use b121 vs reptile or raiden?

Creepy00

Noob
Talking about standing 3, i having using it between corner combos. I will sometimes go with 22 freezeball jip 1,3. On hit it stuns your enemy and puts you in a good distance position. Which, if you opponent dash or does a combo, they eat subs 212. Not safe,but another use for sub 3 in a combo or rather 13

Panque

Random foreign guy
Even if it's not the best often, thank you for putting time on it and sharing it. Sub severely lacks less obvious pressure options imo and another one is highly welcome.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Sal I think you are on to something. The other guys kinda blew you up but I think I get what you are saying.
I'm sure you are plenty aware of 2,1 landing after b1,2,1. So after a 2,1 you can do a standing 3 to stay close and create the overhead mixup situation. I like it actually.

Good Stuff !

BTW... I went to the lab... b1,2,1 into a throw has the SAME wall carry as NJP 1 b1,2 2,1,2~slide.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Sal I think you are on to something. The other guys kinda blew you up but I think I get what you are saying.
I'm sure you are plenty aware of 2,1 landing after b1,2,1. So after a 2,1 you can do a standing 3 to stay close and create the overhead mixup situation. I like it actually.

Good Stuff !

BTW... I went to the lab... b1,2,1 into a throw has the SAME wall carry as NJP 1 b1,2 2,1,2~slide.
I am grateful for all the comments. The more contributions we get the better for Sub's pressure. I am aware of 2 hitting after b121 sometimes but it seems sketchy to me, that's why I was thinking that he needed a more effective way of pressuring after b121, but if 21 works for others all the time, that's cool. To be honest, I was thinking that standing 3 just adds a really unique dimension to his pressure all round.

On the last part, yeah I realised this too when I started playing around with b121 more in practise. I thought, man, i was wrong about b121, throw, etc. Lol.

Good stuff, guys.

Seapeople

This one's for you
Man, I wish you could 3f+4 into an ice clone and this would be a really sweet mixup.

Edit: I've got a little something to add. What if you end your combo with b12 (safe jump) into 13f+4/13b+4? Both are only -6 & -8 on block, and 13 can hit confirm into freeze (I think). The only thing is, I'm not sure if the opponent can interrupt after 13. Not to mention the damage loss which is already a problem.

2nd Edit lol: I think Bidu mentioned one time that 3 is a good bait into the ice clone because opponents like to react to it.

I've also noticed Tom and others whiff b1 (probably trying to ice clone), then ice clone afterward and the opponent will jump into it. This has happened to me before on accident too, but it could be a good bait. The same idea could be used for 1 and all pokes since they have really fast whiff recovery.

Just thinking outside the box, most of these ideas probably won't be useful lol

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
Seapeople and Sub_Crash are right about respective points they made.

The b1,2,1 is the superior option as a BnB for opponents frozen on the ground. Lame hitbox characters don't affect that. Like Seapeople mentioned: if you time your follow-up after b1,2,1 correctly, you're forcing them out of their recovery animation and directly into either block-animation or hit-animation or throw-animation. So as long as you are precise, the opponent can't do anything. Can't jump, can't duck, can't special/armor, can't X-Ray... nothing. You'll even steal their meter if they try to EH interrupt.

You can test it in practice mode against auto-block to make sure you're timing it correctly. You can be just a hair too early and your 2 will whiff or you can be just a hair too late and your 2 will connect instead of being blocked. It's vital and the whole reason the approach works.

Really, there's no reason to attempt a standing 3 as pressure. Actually, I can think of several reasons not to.

Lame hitboxes are definitely Sub-Zero's worst problem in the game. But his BnB's aren't the issue and don't require any special considerations in those match-ups.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Playing the small characters reminds me of playing as smoke... tons of down pokes to setup an overhead. Problem is that the OH is so damn slow.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Talking about standing 3, i having using it between corner combos. I will sometimes go with 22 freezeball jip 1,3. On hit it stuns your enemy and puts you in a good distance position. Which, if you opponent dash or does a combo, they eat subs 212. Not safe,but another use for sub 3 in a combo or rather 13
Try using 1,3,b4 (last hit low, pretty fast string and I believe it's safe) and 1,3,f4 (last hit overhead).

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Man, I wish you could 3f+4 into an ice clone and this would be a really sweet mixup.

Edit: I've got a little something to add. What if you end your combo with b12 (safe jump) into 13f+4/13b+4? Both are only -6 & -8 on block, and 13 can hit confirm into freeze (I think). The only thing is, I'm not sure if the opponent can interrupt after 13. Not to mention the damage loss which is already a problem.

2nd Edit lol: I think Bidu mentioned one time that 3 is a good bait into the ice clone because opponents like to react to it.

I've also noticed Tom and others whiff b1 (probably trying to ice clone), then ice clone afterward and the opponent will jump into it. This has happened to me before on accident too, but it could be a good bait. The same idea could be used for 1 and all pokes since they have really fast whiff recovery.

Just thinking outside the box, most of these ideas probably won't be useful lol
There's still people who actually knows what they're talking about and cares about sharing in here. Keep it coming, folks!

Another thing I've been using for quite a while and I've never seem any pro using is a not fully charged b2. I admit that I'm not the kind of player that knows about frame stuff, but I'm pretty sure it leaves enough space to follow up with 212~freeze or Ice Clone and/or 2,1 pressure, for instance. Low reward / high risk? Your toughs?

**mentally prepares self for lots of new losses against Subz** -_-
Your main is Mileena? Nothing to worry about. ;)

Solid

The Longbow Hunter.
What's up guys.. I know I'm a nobody in these forums.. but here goes.. after i saw the swift sektor video against subbie and Tom's follow up video i tried following a D4 with a dash 3 to avoid a d1 poke from sektor instead of subbie whiffing 2. I've had mixed results as sometimes an ice blast would come out. Probably it's my bad execution. I think we should explore the spacing for the standing 3. Good shit from Salviciblood for this post. Let's not give up on Subbie yet and truly master him.

Truth

Noob
I have played around with using 3 earlier, but as people have already mentioned before if you are going to use this after B121, why not simply use 21? The 2 still connects after the stun animation is done, but despite saying all this, the main problem with SZ against low hit-box characters is starting up any kind of followup pressure even once you get in. For instance say you're playing Mileena and you block a D4, then you poke back with SZ D4. Now you try to follow it up with 21, only for the 2 to completely whiff and from most Mileenas I have played they will continuously mash D4 even after I hit them with my own. You end up in a situation where you resort to using D4~Clone, but that's where Mileena is the most dangerous because its in the neutral game.

Bidu

the CHILL of DESPAIR
Yeah, Mileena players will never, ever do singles D4. They always spam that shit, always. I'm yet to see a single motherfucking Mileena to not spam that shit lol. Generally when I hit the bitch with D4 I instantly jump crossing up and following with a very low JiK -> pressure. If they keep mashing D4 there's a chance they will get hit by the JiK (which you can follow up with at least a Uppercut or Slide). If they block it you can do some free cheap pressure with 2,1 and mix ups (2 won't whiff in this case scenario for God knows whatever reason).

21 connects after a b121 so its dumb to try the 3 instead. Ive tried the 3 + something long ago to deal with the buggy chars, it worked the first time coz the opponent didnt know that f4 was an overhead, then I never managed to hit it again coz its soooo easy to block correctly on reaction, f4 is slow as shit.

Plus that you will almost never to hit it on a game, even on block. The 3 is slow as hell and have a crappy hitbox aswell, you need to be at point blank to hit a buggy crouch-blocking char with it.

Seapeople

This one's for you
A very deep jip can work against Mileena's d4. I've been doing it in that matchup for a couple weeks now