What's new

"Final" UMK3 Tier List before UMK3:TE?

REO

Undead
@dubson I would be down for sure when the hack is released. Pretty much what Konqrr said is true. None of the players selected to beta test the hack can share it other wise we would get in trouble and lose any opportunity to test any future project ever again.

My weekly event is called "Blood Bath Kombat Series" and it's every Friday night. For now it's just about MK9 stuff, but soon when UMK:3 TE is released publicly, I will include UMK:3 TE as one of the main featured games.

@dubson @mortal_jason I see what you guys are saying now. I thought you guys were implying I was some UMK:3 "legend or elite" back in 2010 for UMK:3. Truth is I'm above average in 2D classic MK games. My best characters in UMK:3 are Mileena and then Kitana (same as MK:2). I can play almost the whole cast in UMK:3 but they're not on the same level as my twin female ninja duo. I just click better with Mileena and Kitana and it's almost always been that way for a while now.

nwo

Noob
@nwo is it possible Infinite Number is Broken? His profile says UMK3 - Broken
I guess it's possible, I wouldn't know since I haven't even seen Br0ken play UMK3 since 2011.

@nwo i also feel like mapping LK to also shoulder buttons (r1/r2) in MAME, some of this shit is too dirt ball and shouldn't be allowed in tournaments for sure, because in the console ports you can't have a button linked to more than one button? since Most are playing on pad that is a huge unfair advantage to play against on Mame. Sure, arcade has that advantage on a Pad player, but pad player has some advantages over the Stick player. So I think it is fair. But i don't think that would be fair to have buttons linked to more than one button/input
I'd argue that a Stick has more advantages, but a pad also has some advantages IMO. A keyboard obviously has even more advantages, but I don't agree with everything I've read on here. Like for example, there's no way in hell that Kung Lao's spin can be any easier or faster than it is on Stick. On top of that your hand doesn't tire anywhere near as fast as your fingers (or thumb). I've used a keyboard for FPS games, never for fighting games so I can't talk too much.

Anyone running an offline tournament shouldn't let any funny business fly anyway.

dubson

Noob
Like for example, there's no way in hell that Kung Lao's spin can be any easier or faster than it is on Stick. On top of that your hand doesn't tire anywhere near as fast as your fingers (or thumb). .
I disagree with this, I play SF strictly on stick, (I have many different sticks/set-ups) always have and I used to play MK on stick but now prefer pad. There are different reasons for this though, I mostly play charge characters in SF. I believe your hand/wrist tires much, much faster than your fingers or thumbs. Kung Lao spin is a basically a Shoryuken motion, and on pad with a great d-pad its like butter man… I can see it both ways I'm sure but I definitely feel playing on stick is much more exhausting. Just my opinion

nwo

Noob
I disagree with this, I play SF strictly on stick, (I have many different sticks/set-ups) always have and I used to play MK on stick but now prefer pad. There are different reasons for this though, I mostly play charge characters in SF. I believe your hand/wrist tires much, much faster than your fingers or thumbs. Kung Lao spin is a basically a Shoryuken motion, and on pad with a great d-pad its like butter man… I can see it both ways I'm sure but I definitely feel playing on stick is much more exhausting. Just my opinion
The only thing that slightly begins to tire after playing about 3 hours straight would be my right hand (button hand). My thumb used to start to tire within about 30 minutes on pad if I was mostly using Kung Lao. Especially if I was using a brand new PS2 controller, the spins would eventually fuck my thumb up since the d-pad is more stiff. I've even recently used Lao on pad, the spins just suck.

Edit: There's probably great pads out there, with even better d-pads than the ps2 controller. I haven't used one.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
I hate to defend him because I blocked him on Skype like 2-3 months ago, but he's good with more than Kabal.
Definitely, his Sheeva and Jade were very good.
But it was just interesting that we went even when he didn't use Kabal.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Definitely, his Sheeva and Jade were very good.
But it was just interesting that we went even when he didn't use Kabal.
He mains Kabal, for a long time he never used anyone else. Recently he started to branch out to a few more characters, but Kabal is the only character he's great with. And there's nothing wrong with that.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
@dubson I would be down for sure when the hack is released. Pretty much what Konqrr said is true. None of the players selected to beta test the hack can share it other wise we would get in trouble and lose any opportunity to test any future project ever again.

My weekly event is called "Blood Bath Kombat Series" and it's every Friday night. For now it's just about MK9 stuff, but soon when UMK:3 TE is released publicly, I will include UMK:3 TE as one of the main featured games.

@dubson @mortal_jason I see what you guys are saying now. I thought you guys were implying I was some UMK:3 "legend or elite" back in 2010 for UMK:3. Truth is I'm above average in 2D classic MK games. My best characters in UMK:3 are Mileena and then Kitana (same as MK:2). I can play almost the whole cast in UMK:3 but they're not on the same level as my twin female ninja duo. I just click better with Mileena and Kitana and it's almost always been that way for a while now.
Maybe not the right place for asking, but what is the most damage Kitana can do MID-SCREEN off the Fan Raise? I can only get 25% with JK/Air Fan/run HP/JK.

I'm becoming more of a believer in Mileena being higher than #22.
I can get 36% mid-screen off her pop up which is way more than Kitana or Jade's (for me anyway).
Air sai are great for zoning. And mixed in with her fast Roll, her nasty jabs, great HK... I think I can take this chick places ;)
Am I wrong that the Roll can consistently AA opponent's jump ins?
I often Roll as I'm about to be jump kicked and they get hit and flip towards me, allowing for a larger combo.

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
He mains Kabal, for a long time he never used anyone else. Recently he started to branch out to a few more characters, but Kabal is the only character he's great with. And there's nothing wrong with that.
No there isn't anything wrong with it.
I've always respected people who have maxxed out any character.
In MK2 from day 1, I sought out the very best of the top tier only dick-riders.
Those elites raised my level and eventually I was able to beat these guys people thought unbeatable (and even with low tier).

I don't however respect when people only use top tier and go for babalities.
As if they're making some point because Kabal didn't have to block against my Jade and Sheeva :rolleyes:
Pick Cyrax and try that shit on me...

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
No there isn't anything wrong with it.
I've always respected people who have maxxed out any character.
In MK2 from day 1, I sought out the very best of the top tier only dick-riders.
Those elites raised my level and eventually I was able to beat these guys people thought unbeatable (and even with low tier).

I don't however respect when people only use top tier and go for babalities.
As if they're making some point because Kabal didn't have to block against my Jade and Sheeva :rolleyes:
Pick Cyrax and try that shit on me...
Yeah, that's just Bass's schtick. He goes for babalities every single time, which actually accomplishes more than people realize. The fact that you'd even say the above proves that. He does them to get in your head, and make you play worse.

I agree though that performing a babality with Kabal isn't too hard, but imo that adds to the mind games. I'd rather get babalitied by like Kang or something, because I would be like "yeah, I deserve a baby for that". Getting babied by Kabal though... just pure disrespect! lol

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Maybe not the right place for asking, but what is the most damage Kitana can do MID-SCREEN off the Fan Raise? I can only get 25% with JK/Air Fan/run HP/JK.
You can get close to or over 30%, but you really rarely ever land a Fan Lift. If your opponent does something that they get punished for in the air, you should always be using her non-Fan Lift punishers for 50%. If you do get a Fan Lift though, just use a JK~Air Fan to aaLP into a safe jump (non-kara for normal characters and kara vs Kabal so you can block the Spin if he wakes up with it).

Have you seen the damage Jade gets in the corner with Projectile Invincibility cancels to keep the combo going? It's pretty damn good, but very situational. Wait until you see what Jade gets in her corner combos in UMK3:TE <3

MKK hanzo

So....... 9 pages of ranting by me saying mileena deserver 2 spots UP?

Haha. Keep it up guys.

@ded otg JP Lao vs female ninjas is USELES. That combo DONT connect on them, he has MANY natural character weakness to be considered anything.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
So....... 9 pages of ranting by me saying mileena deserver 2 spots UP?

Haha. Keep it up guys.

@ded otg JP Lao vs female ninjas is USELES. That combo DONT connect on them, he has MANY natural character weakness to be considered anything.
Not for long... TE ftw

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
You can get close to or over 30%, but you really rarely ever land a Fan Lift. If your opponent does something that they get punished for in the air, you should always be using her non-Fan Lift punishers for 50%. If you do get a Fan Lift though, just use a JK~Air Fan to aaLP into a safe jump (non-kara for normal characters and kara vs Kabal so you can block the Spin if he wakes up with it).

Have you seen the damage Jade gets in the corner with Projectile Invincibility cancels to keep the combo going? It's pretty damn good, but very situational. Wait until you see what Jade gets in her corner combos in UMK3:TE <3
True, it's a crap move in UMK3.
What 50% punishers do you mean?

Safe jump same as an empty jump? Never heard that expression.
I'm not following what you mean aaLP into safe jump.

Please show me this Jade combo!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
What 50% punishers do you mean?

Safe jump same as an empty jump? Never heard that expression.
I'm not following what you mean aaLP into safe jump.

Please show me this Jade combo!
Are you asking what a safe jump is? If so, a safe jump is literally a jump that is "safe". So after doing Fan lift into, jk air fan, you do an aaLP and do a JK or empty jump afterwards, it's safe because they aren't able to do anything yet.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
1) What 50% punishers do you mean?

2) Safe jump same as an empty jump? Never heard that expression.

3) I'm not following what you mean aaLP into safe jump.

4) Please show me this Jade combo!
1) aaHPHP, JK, Air Fan then end with HPHP~Square Wave or HP into safe jump

2) When you end a juggle with a LP or HP then jump, you get a jump kick that they have to block and you get pressure after. I think only Kabal and maybe Mileena Roll or Smoke Harpoon can punish you in which case you kara the jab and jump sooner to bait it.

3) aaLP I said as the juggled LP after JK~Air Fan, safe jump explained in #2

4) Vanilla Jade combo - lets say you blocked a teleport punch or roll or dive kick... aaHPHP, JK, HP~Proj Inv, RH, LK for 65%. You can get more, it's in one of @Shock's combo videos. In TE, let's just say that you can juggle with more things ^_^

ded

Elder God
@MKK hanzo do you think I do not know that, man? Lao is still devastating character against female ninjas, ALTHOUGH his auto combo miss after jp against them...

Reactions: nwo

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
1) aaHPHP, JK, Air Fan then end with HPHP~Square Wave or HP into safe jump

2) When you end a juggle with a LP or HP then jump, you get a jump kick that they have to block and you get pressure after. I think only Kabal and maybe Mileena Roll or Smoke Harpoon can punish you in which case you kara the jab and jump sooner to bait it.

3) aaLP I said as the juggled LP after JK~Air Fan, safe jump explained in #2

4) Vanilla Jade combo - lets say you blocked a teleport punch or roll or dive kick... aaHPHP, JK, HP~Proj Inv, RH, LK for 65%. You can get more, it's in one of @Shock's combo videos. In TE, let's just say that you can juggle with more things ^_^
Ok thanks, I just had never heard that term safe jump before. Makes sense.

I youtubed the Jade combo.
What is the significance of the Projectile Protection in the combo though?
Does it trick the game into giving full damage? I couldn't believe it did 65% for that, sick.

umk_p1

Noob
Can't beleave babalities still occur in defjab era...
Lao is good until nw or kabal walk in the room, i think. Good kabal and nw i mean

Reactions: ded

mortal_jason

Kitana's Bodyguard
This is random...
but I've always thought Shang should be able to morph directly from character to character like he could in MK1 as a boss.
He's a bottom tier character so he certainly could use this improvement.
Would allow for lots of sick combos to be able to say morph into Kabal, then morph into someone else and go wild.

Do you think this ability would give him too many infinite possibilities

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
This is random...
but I've always thought Shang should be able to morph directly from character to character like he could in MK1 as a boss.
He's a bottom tier character so he certainly could use this improvement.
Would allow for lots of sick combos to be able to say morph into Kabal, then morph into someone else and go wild.

Do you think this ability would give him too many infinite possibilities
Infinites galore lol

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Infinites galore lol
Wouldn't the disable flags activate to prevent this, though? And even then, you'd end up with massive damage potential. Which probably could be solved by adding DP if you morph from character to character.

dubson

Noob
@Konqrr what about making Jade's low Boomerang hit low at the end of it? Force opponent to block low…

I guess with the new returnBoomerang it would be too much though...

Last edited: