What's new

Question - Predator Final Patch?! - What should be changed?

I play all of kotals variations. Point was that u don't need armor to get up and fight. It helps but u know. And War God's armor can be broken. Some of the cast just don't fear the blade of ashtek :(
Blood God doesn't have armor but his defense totem is one of the best special moves in the game and he's hard to take down. You can't really compare the two characters. Not saying Blood God is better than HQT, you can't really compare the two.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Yeah cause he's viable.
Yeah, he is. There's a difference between not too great and unviable.

I'm referring to quan's 6f d1. And Warrior does not have good defense.
Fair enough on the D1, forgot about that. Why isn't his defense good though? Again, it's not amazing, but his pokes are pretty good and his armor is really fucking fast now. I know it's no Tempest Spin but it gets the job done.

If you want better armor switch to Warrior. Simple as. If you want better universal defensive options them ask for something less stupid than 2 hits of armor on stab lol. Some people have been asking for better back dashes or even better pokes which are good suggestions, but buffing Preds Stab just makes Warrior even more pointless than he already is.

Addhad

GOD OF EARTHRELM
Pred and buffs don't go in the same sentence top 3 zoning and offense with good range normals. Smart disc is plus armor leads to uber damage. If they make preds stab 2 hits of armor make Ermacs tele have armor all the time. B. O. I.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
Blood God doesn't have armor but his defense totem is one of the best special moves in the game and he's hard to take down. You can't really compare the two characters. Not saying Blood God is better than HQT, you can't really compare the two.
Ye but obsidian kind a lacks in wake up situation?

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
With MKX I don't class "viable" as taking a whole tournament on his own, almost no character in the game can realistically do that because of how counterpick-heavy the game is.

However I do believe he can hold his own against most of the cast. There might be one or two really bad match ups but it's not like he's unplayable. And if he's not unplayable he's what? You guessed it, viable.

With MKX I don't class "viable" as taking a whole tournament on his own, almost no character in the game can realistically do that because of how counterpick-heavy the game is.

However I do believe he can hold his own against most of the cast. There might be one or two really bad match ups but it's not like he's unplayable. And if he's not unplayable he's what? You guessed it, viable.
You make good points. I think this argument stems from the fact that we have different definitions of viable :p I don't think warrior is that bad (he's gotten better after the last few patches) but he's not good either.

Osagri

Fear the blade of Osh-Tekk
And not comparing characters just the situation if u know what I mean

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
You make good points. I think this argument stems from the fact that we have different definitions of viable :p I don't think warrior is that bad (he's gotten better after the last few patches) but he's not good either.
Yeah maybe the wordings just getting in the way when we really make similar points.

Warrior isn't "good" by any means, if I implied that then that was a mistake. I just don't think he's unusable. I also think NRS should calm down with buffing low tiers unless they truly are unplayable because it never ends well so I think he should be left alone tbh, except for maybe a back dash or poke buff or something minor. They just need to be careful.

I think they just need to tone down the top tier and the game, bar a couple of exceptions like HT Lao, will be fine.

CrazyFingers

The Power of Lame Compels You
So from just observing this thread I've noticed that the problem everyone is having is the problem Pred has had from basically day 1 and that's defensive options. His pokes are slow his dashes are abysmal his jump is floaty af. His armor is pretty bad but his offense is godlike. Clearly we wouldn't be able to make his defense too good or he'll become a character that gets bitched about constantly and he will end up becoming even worse than he is right now, which granted isn't that bad at all but I don't think any of us want that. So I propose these short few things

D1, make it 6f. I think is just something that needs to happen across the entire cast, not having the ability to use this button in an effective matter is part of what makes or breaks characters.

Back Dash/Forward Dash, reduce recovery drastically. The ranges on this character's dashes are actually really solid the only problem is Predator apparently has lumbar problems because his recovery is like a grandpa getting up from his chair.

Armor options. Switch to warrior if you want good armor or just a different character, this game doesn't support loyalists unless your character has 3 variations to cover all bases. Does it suck that the variation system doesn't work even 40% of the time? No, but it's the MKX we love to hate I suppose.

Finally, does HQT need any nerfs? Not really, I think the plasma caster shots, while they have 8 years of hit advantage, it balances out with the fact that his armor is poop. Predator isn't supposed to have THAT MANY defensive options because he's almost a purely offensive juggernaut. Play with that. The good zoning the good rushdown. Some characters don't have a large array of defensive options at their disposal so take what you have, even if it's a shitty armored move. At least you have an armored move.

Yeah maybe the wordings just getting in the way when we really make similar points.

Warrior isn't "good" by any means, if I implied that then that was a mistake. I just don't think he's unusable. I also think NRS should calm down with buffing low tiers unless they truly are unplayable because it never ends well so I think he should be left alone tbh, except for maybe a back dash or poke buff or something minor. They just need to be careful.

I think they just need to tone down the top tier and the game, bar a couple of exceptions like HT Lao, will be fine.
I agree completely. If we get a patch I hope it just tweaks things and isn't an overhaul. Like they shouldn't kill alien, mileena, etc. but they need to be careful when they buff Unbreakable, ht Lao etc. I feel like they did a good job buffing Jason. He's not OP but he got a lot of stuff for him to actually be able to play mkx now

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
I agree completely. If we get a patch I hope it just tweaks things and isn't an overhaul. Like they shouldn't kill alien, mileena, etc. but they need to be careful when they buff Unbreakable, ht Lao etc. I feel like they did a good job buffing Jason. He's not OP but he got a lot of stuff for him to actually be able to play mkx now
Definitely. I agree with pretty much everything you said.

Except for Jason, fuck that guy.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
So from just observing this thread I've noticed that the problem everyone is having is the problem Pred has had from basically day 1 and that's defensive options. His pokes are slow his dashes are abysmal his jump is floaty af. His armor is pretty bad but his offense is godlike. Clearly we wouldn't be able to make his defense too good or he'll become a character that gets bitched about constantly and he will end up becoming even worse than he is right now, which granted isn't that bad at all but I don't think any of us want that. So I propose these short few things

D1, make it 6f. I think is just something that needs to happen across the entire cast, not having the ability to use this button in an effective matter is part of what makes or breaks characters.

Back Dash/Forward Dash, reduce recovery drastically. The ranges on this character's dashes are actually really solid the only problem is Predator apparently has lumbar problems because his recovery is like a grandpa getting up from his chair.

Armor options. Switch to warrior if you want good armor or just a different character, this game doesn't support loyalists unless your character has 3 variations to cover all bases. Does it suck that the variation system doesn't work even 40% of the time? No, but it's the MKX we love to hate I suppose.

Finally, does HQT need any nerfs? Not really, I think the plasma caster shots, while they have 8 years of hit advantage, it balances out with the fact that his armor is poop. Predator isn't supposed to have THAT MANY defensive options because he's almost a purely offensive juggernaut. Play with that. The good zoning the good rushdown. Some characters don't have a large array of defensive options at their disposal so take what you have, even if it's a shitty armored move. At least you have an armored move.
great post!

... personally I think that better mobility or faster startup on ex-scimitar would be bigger buffs than what I suggested (double armor).

ex-scimitar would remain a slow move that is easy to punish.

thus i would gladly take a proper backdash over double armor!

i dont know about d1 being 6f. defensivly this propably wouldn't change much, while offensivly balancing the 'minus on block'- and 'plus on hit'-frames wont be an easy task. this has huge offensive potential if only the start-up would get changed.

generally I still think that the changes I suggested were minor.

Yeah, he is. There's a difference between not too great and unviable.

Fair enough on the D1, forgot about that. Why isn't his defense good though? Again, it's not amazing, but his pokes are pretty good and his armor is really fucking fast now. I know it's no Tempest Spin but it gets the job done.

If you want better armor switch to Warrior. Simple as. If you want better universal defensive options them ask for something less stupid than 2 hits of armor on stab lol. Some people have been asking for better back dashes or even better pokes which are good suggestions, but buffing Preds Stab just makes Warrior even more pointless than he already is.
IMO the only reason to switch from HQT to another character or variation is to fight Dvorah, Demo Sonya, DF/Dualist Liu, A-List cage, or Wrestler Jax. Warrior is not the answer for these matchups because he has no way to keep these characters out and ex pimp slap isn't the answer. HQT's rushdown game is also way better than Warrior's. I wasn't asking for multiple hitting armor on ex stab. 6F d1 would be more than enough.

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
Here are my personal changes that I would make to Predator. I don't think he has had one buff since his release, only nerfs. In MKX's current meta, Predator crumbles against pressure, and always has since last June. So, here goes:

- Increase walk back back/forward speed by a smidge. I don't want Jacqui speed, just fast enough to be able to get where we want to without having to spend stamina. Same goes for dashes (I personally think Predator has a good forward dash, but his back dash is TRASH. Decrease the recovery frames so he doesn't get punished just for wanting to get away from your opposition.)

- Scimitar Stab... To be honest, I don't know what to do about this move. I don't agree with two hits of armour, because Predator does get a lot of damage output if he does land it. I think it's fine the way it is.

- Defensive options. Predator has no way of escaping pressure with his trash mobility and pokes. Buff those, and maybe he might stand a chance. Give Predator a 6f d1, -4 on block. At least it's something.

- Make the first hit of F212 (F2), an overhead. I have been trying to use this move for the + frames rather than the damage potential. If it was an overhead starter, it would help all variations, not just HQT. I don't think it needs to be sped up if it becomes an overhead.

- S2. Make it a 10 - 11f mid. I think this is fair. That's his only mid option other than F4. If you don't think this is fair at all, look at the current top 5 and see if you think this is unfair at all.

- F4. Make this +8 on block. Why are all other 'big leg' moves in the game really plus (D'vorah, Kotal, Takeda, Jason, Raiden ect.) but Predator's is only +1-2? Favouritism at its best.

Mind you these are only buffs. I can't think of any nerfs to be honest, Predator has been nerfed so much that if you take anything else away he'll be trash tier. His zoning is good, I'm not going to lie. But... It's MKX. You will always get in eventually.

Tweedy

Noob
If you really want a good wake up, play Warrior.

The variation system plays out well with Predator. Why ruin that?

Edit: And Warrior has a lot more to it than just that wake up. Predator players not using the variation does not mean that it's so much worse than HQT.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
Why does everybody want a 6f d1 when Pred already has a 7f d3, and an 8f d4 from the gods? I feel like it'd be great if the game got 7f d1 universally, but I just can't understand the need for predator to have a stronger poke out when the kit is set up to have super good offense.

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
Warrior is terrible when compared to HQT. The only redeeming quality that Warrior has is how cool he looks. The armour move is really nice, don't get me wrong but everything else is a gimmick. He has HUGE damage potential... But have run trying to pull those gimmicks off in a real match. Someone earlier in the thread (forgive me, I can't remember who) said that Warrior is like High-Tech Jacqui, he looks good on paper but in a real match he just doesn't have the same tools that HQT or even Hunter has. Instant air overhead? What does he gain on OKI? Nothing. If you want to set up the self destruct safely, you have to sacrifice your damage for the safe setup. He's not say, Unbreakable bad, but he's down there IMO.