What's new

Final Numbers Are In For EVO!

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous

Apparently, yesterday was the last day to register and already they have the entrants numbers tallied. Record breaking numbers here. Smash just ran away with not only the most entered but the only game to reach 3,000 which, according to Mr. Wizard, the LARGEST Smash tournament ever!

This is shaping up to be one of the biggest EVOs ever. I mean, its already bigger than last year according to numbers. What do you guys think of these numbers? Are you surprised MK11 came in 5th? Are you happy with the numbers? Etc

Let's have a discussion ;)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'm surprised SamSho beat MK, but there was a lot of hype surrounding that game so I guess it makes sense. I'm happy to see lots of entrants for all these games.

In 2018, IJ2 had no more than 360 entrants. In 2017 IJ2 had 883, and in 2016 MKX had 707. So 1500+ for MK11 is pretty great!

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Are you surprised MK11 came in 5th? Are you happy with the numbers? Etc
I'm a little surprised, but it makes sense since the gore factor of MK basically means Asia isn't really going to play the game, or sometimes not even be able to play/purchase the game.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I'm a little surprised, but it makes sense since the gore factor of MK basically means Asia isn't really going to play the game, or sometimes not even be able to play/purchase the game.
Japan sold out copies of SamSho and that game has blood & dismemberment. I get thats not as bad at MK11 but I don't think gore will stop em from buying a game.

I'm surprised SamSho beat MK, but there was a lot of hype surrounding that game so I guess it makes sense. I'm happy to see lots of entrants for all these games.

In 2018, IJ2 had no more than 360 entrants. In 2017 IJ2 had 883, and in 2016 MKX had 707. So 1500+ for MK11 is pretty great!
You can look at it that MK11 revitalized competitive scene most definitely. For the scene its still good. I hope it keeps its momentum but you already know how I feel what they should do to keep this game afloat. SamSho on the other hand has been MOSTLY great reviews from practically everybody. And the overall consensus they find wrong with the game is netcode issues. Besides that, popularity for this game continues to increase at an incredible rate.

Owerbart

I miss you
nrs games usually get outnumbered because they never penetrate into the asian markets. Also like it or not NRS games have kind of a not so-good reputation in the fgc community as a whole. Still the number it pulled is massive. Hopefully they can take advantage of the exposure.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
very nice ! damn those Smash numbers, a lot of people really love this game ! anyway, waiting for the schedule info and the brackets for Evo 2019, hehe ! :D

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
It still amazes me how popular Smash is. I don't get the appeal, but to each their own.
It features a bunch of the most popular characters in gaming history, has adrenaline rush-style gameplay, and is tons of fun and played differently from a casual standpoint as well. I think it has all the obvious markers of something that would be hugely popular and it’s exciting to watch.

Plus their community did an awesome job of growing itself with stuff like The Smash Brothers documentary. It wasn’t always this big, but they were always passionate and they earned it.

GothamInGray

Hanzo Main
Japan sold out copies of SamSho and that game has blood & dismemberment. I get thats not as bad at MK11 but I don't think gore will stop em from buying a game.
I think you misunderstand. (Semi)Realistic gore gets censored drastically in Japan, so a game like MK is likely tough to come by. Stylized blood and dismemberment a la anime in general or Sam Sho is fine. Take a look at the differences between Japanese and Western versions of Resident Evil 7 sometime. It helps put it into perspective.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
Just noticed something.....why is Unist above DBFZ if DBFZ has more entrants? That has to be a typo. But whateva. I'm happy Anime community stepped up for Unist to finally shine w/ over 1000 entrants! I dont even think BBTag was close to having that many last year.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
SamSho on the other hand has been MOSTLY great reviews from practically everybody.
I feel like SamSho has also benefitted from a lot of people being able to go into it with almost no expectations, pre-conceived notions, or baggage.

JBeezYBabY

Mr. Righteous
I feel like SamSho has also benefitted from a lot of people being able to go into it with almost no expectations, pre-conceived notions, or baggage.
Kinda. But SamSho's game have been out in arcades just as much as MK franchise. MK obviously surpassed in popularity w/ SamSho coming in as the underdog. I think people were surprised on how fun this game is to play yet still keep their old school essence of what makes that game magic!

I get thats not as bad at MK11 but I don't think gore will stop em from buying a game.
Japanese players won't buy MK11 simply because the game is banned in Japan. They can still import the game but it is not a popular game franchise anyways (mostly because it is banned in the first place)

Even Japanese studios have to censor their own games. Resident Evil 2 Remake has two builds, one to the western countries and the other is the censored version for the japanese market.

Here's an intesresting video of how they made RER2 softer for their own country.

Slymind

Noob
MK, and western fighting games in general have to deal with the fact that they do not get support from the eastern folks, and given that evo gathers a lot of that crowd, it's hard to keep up, all things considered, i think it's holding pretty nice, the true test will be next years evo, i hope we can keep above 1000+.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Japanese players won't buy MK11 simply because the game is banned in Japan. They can still import the game but it is not a popular game franchise anyways (mostly because it is banned in the first place)

Even Japanese studios have to censor their own games. Resident Evil 2 Remake has two builds, one to the western countries and the other is the censored version for the japanese market.

Here's an intesresting video of how they made RER2 softer for their own country.
They did the same for Red Dead Redemption 2. In the regular version, there's some nudity (you can inadvertently walk into a couple having sex in one mission) and also you can blow off limbs and heads if you use a shotgun at close-range.

In the Japanese version, they censor the nudity (the woman has her shirt on), and there's no dismemberment.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Surprised on SS and DB numbers, I figured SS would have less and DB would have more. But MK is dead center so that's good with a respectable amount of people.

You definitely need money to go to Evo.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I wonder if MK and SamSho are both at Evo next year, which would have more players.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Hell yeah. EVO is hella expensive! Last tier prices just to register was $85
And that's not counting travel, hotel stays, food, God knows how much other tourney fees etc. I think for the travel alone Evo should compensate the players some how lol with something. I mean let's face it, most probably spend a lot of money and come home with nothing. Screw that lol. It's why I don't gamble lol. I also wish there was an Evo type thing for other genres all over the country or here in NYC, we have the Jacob Javits center. I don''t understand how nobody can't hold something here. They have tons of cons here, CC, Carshows, Toy Fair but can't have gaming tourneys? :rolleyes:

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
And that's not counting travel, hotel stays, food, God knows how much other tourney fees etc. I think for the travel alone Evo should compensate the players some how lol with something. I mean let's face it, most probably spend a lot of money and come home with nothing. Screw that lol. It's why I don't gamble lol. I also wish there was an Evo type thing for other genres all over the country or here in NYC, we have the Jacob Javits center. I don''t understand how nobody can't hold something here. They have tons of cons here, CC, Carshows, Toy Fair but can't have gaming tourneys? :rolleyes:
Oh, I'd be down for that.