What's new

Fighting games suck online

since that other thread got closed, i want to reopen the discussion.
apparently mk11 lacks fundamental features for online like every other fighting game. i try to list what i would want from every competitive game

- netcodes are always decent at best. mk 11 is the exception but games like smash ultimate might as well not have an online mode. not that i care, smash players deserve this.

-no seasons->rank inflation.

-no best of 3. a lot of players try to cheese their way up and won't rematch after 1 lose. tekken players seem to be the worst.

-tekken 7 seems to be the only game with a promotion and demotion system.

-you always start at 0. in games like starcraft 2 you play 10 matches and these matches determine your starting rank.

why are fighting games so far behind other genres?

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
When MKX got GGPO netcode, I thought it was really good! Not perfect, but still one of the best netcodes for any fighting game. But Killer Instinct's netcode was the absolute best! Rarely any laggy matches, at least for me.

A lot of Japanese fighting games have really bad netcode, because the devs are always thinking Japan first, rest of the world second. So it might run great in Japan, but if it doesn't run that well in the rest of the world, they're not going to prioritise fixing it. And that's a shame that so many of them have this mindset.