What's new

Fighting Game Glossary

What's up everyone. After watching this Sajam video, I decided to put together a bunch of fighting game terms with visual examples. Hopefully some people find it helpful.

Let me know what you guys think and any corrections/retractions that need to be made.

Some notes:
This is V 1.0. I have some stuff I wanna add pretty soon.
This is NOT optimized for mobile yet
Add me on the grom

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Cool.

I know you said it wasn't optimized and have things in mind, but I still might suggest taking the index and laying the items out in tiles or some sort of grid pattern. There isn't any other content it's competing with, and it's a long list. Just something to cut down on the scrolling. Maybe something like 3 or 4 across, then flex down to two or three as you get down to mobile.

The details layout is clear, easily digestible, and generally comfortable to scan.

I know I'm probably saying obvious stuff though.

Last edited:

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
To be fair, the website Evantabes has made is INFINITELY better formatted than that forum post.

Good on ya for doing this for the benefit of everyone else, @Evantabes. It's much appreciated.

EDIT:
I know you said it wasn't optimized and have things in mind, but I still might suggest taking the index and laying the items out in tiles or some sort of grid pattern. There isn't any other content it's competing with, and it's a long list. Just something to cut down on the scrolling. Maybe something like 3 or 4 across, then flex down to two or three as you get down to mobile.
Fully agree with Goober that you have an excessive amount of whitespace in the index that could be easily remedied by doing rows of 3-4 terms. Considering you've got 77 (or 78, may have miscounted) terms here, I'd say 4 per row for a total of 20 rows.

Cool.

The details layout is clear, easily digestible, and generally comfortable to scan.

I know I'm probably saying obvious stuff though.
EDIT:

Fully agree with Goober that you have an excessive amount of whitespace in the index that could be easily remedied by doing rows of 3-4 terms. Considering you've got 77 (or 78, may have miscounted) terms here, I'd say 4 per row for a total of 20 rows.
I didn't know how many I was gonna have when I pushed it so I put off organizing and settled for the long list. I considered 4 even columns but I really wanted to avoid having terms with the same first character in two different columns because I thought it looked stupid. I guess I could separate the alphabet into 4 sections but then some columns will be much longer than others and I don't know if I want that either. I need to think of a way to do it that doesn't get screwed by more terms being added.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I didn't know how many I was gonna have when I pushed it so I put off organizing and settled for the long list. I considered 4 even columns but I really wanted to avoid having terms with the same first character in two different columns because I thought it looked stupid. I guess I could separate the alphabet into 4 sections but then some columns will be much longer than others and I don't know if I want that either. I need to think of a way to do it that doesn't get screwed by more terms being added.
Could do something like below as it's segmented in a logical manner (alphabetically), is easy to update with new terms, and would help eliminate excessive white space.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Well it might look silly to you, but a long list is about as cumbersome as it gets. Grouping by alpha (like above) is rarely exciting but pretty sensible and meets a good default expectation. It's hard to go wrong with.

On mobile you'd likely be forced into single stacking the items, landing you back in the same scroll forever situation, but you could then leverage the groups as accordion containers and let them scroll to the letter then expand the list of items in that letter group.

I don't know what you are using or what your comfort level for that sort of thing is, but that's probably what I would be gunning for.

I've been updating this off and on for the last couple months. I put in a bunch of QOL stuff that I was putting off and it now has a section for Mortal Kombat specific terms found here but as you can see it's pretty barren. It's getting pretty time consuming to make posts so if you have anything you want to contribute you can click here. Any thoughts or feedback is always appreciated.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
It looks like a lot of effort, so kudos on putting all that together. I know from experience I wouldn't rando work on something longer than a day or two, a couple of times before checking out.

It looks like a lot of effort, so kudos on putting all that together. I know from experience I wouldn't rando work on something longer than a day or two, a couple of times before checking out.
I mostly work on it when I want to game but feel like I have to be productive because I'm getting old. I guess this is growing up.