What's new

Female Ninjas have been Retconed in MK 11

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Now they are called Imperial Body Guards, and they have two roles essentially.
First one is to protect the khan/emperor, and have like a sort of side job or a specification while still working as a emperor defender/Enforcer
Basically what NRS did is to give the female Ninjas a military role, so they're like a faction now, maybe mandatory duty for female edenians in the past and only a select few now.

Same way police has swat, bomb squad, investigatigation, internal affairs, same way amry has the exact same things and black ops.

Outworld now has this with the imperial army, with a bunch of qualities required to have the job and it doesn't seem to be something that simple, but it looks like it can be learned over time

Weapon proeficiency:
So all imperial body guards need to have at the very least a weapon skill apparently, and doesn't seem to have a limit to what they can learn specially when it comes to fighting, so of all imperial bodyguards shown in the franchise we know some of them are true weapon masters on a large number of weapons, while some are specific with one until confirmed otherwise.

Class by weapon proficiency
Skarlet: Short Swords (Kodachi blades), regulard sized sword (She is using one in Mk11), Spears, knives(includes Kunai throwing), Whips, scythes
Jade: Bo staff, Spear, Boomerangs and glaives
Tanya: Tonfa, Naginata
Kitana: Fans, Blades
Mileena: Sais
Sindel: ???

Job proeficiency
All imperial guards seem to have an assignment which they do on their daily basis when they are not protecting the Kahn/Emperor/Empress

Kitana: in MK11 its unconfirmed what she will stand for, but Kitana was born to rule, so i think as the princess of Edenia, step daughter of the conqueror as an Emissary even in MK9 she did her job very well, not sure what will appear on her profile, in one of the trailers she is labbeled Empress of death, but i kinda wanted to see what she would do if she was Kahn, and maybe this will be confirmed as Kitana Kahn seems to be a thing now, maybe the Kitana from the otherverse that is comming to dethrone her is a Kahn, but we will see.

Tanya: Tanya before all the mess used to work as an ambassator for Edenia, and she is an imperial bodyguard.

Jade: Currently in MK11 she is labelled as an Assassin, in the MK9 events she was Kitana's personal body guard, so i can see why, and as a personal friend of the princess both grew together fighting a lot and learning, currently i think Jade and Kitana represents the Edenia's finesse at its best as every true edenian character feels like a very well educated person, even Tanya which can be a dick sometimes she throws some offence with delicate words.

Skarlet: Currently in MK11 she is labelled as a blood mage, we know from before that Skarlet was also an infiltration unit for solo stealth missions just as jade was, she was even tasked to retieve Kotal's blood dagger during a mess in outworld which she succeeded by going in and out with the dagger without anyone even notice she was there, just as she was once considered an expert tracker, so she used to be like a spy before learning true blood magic.

Sindel: As the empress of Edenia, we've only seen Sindel's true persona once during the shujinko era and it was just a glimpse, but from what Kitana says it seemed like she was a great mom, there is a lot of mistery surrounding this character right now that its kinda hard to go in detail.

Mileena: As a shadow clone of Kitana, Mileena was to be the replacement princess as the true daughter of Shao Kahn who doesn't give a shit about the elegancy of edenia, instead she acts more like a slut

Final veredict

I think i like them more now as imperial body guards rather than being female Ninjas, while they can still be called that, the new name and new roles widens their purpose in the series and they no longe look generic as hell.

Charybdis

We are returned! Death to the False Emperor!
........source? Because this is all pure speculation, presupposition and inferrence otherwise

Also Sindel is

A: not a ninja
B: not an 'imperial guard' thing
C: a martyr and, thus, dead

Also Tanya is a member of the Edenian Resistance against Kahn. That's canon

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
........source?

Also Sindel is

A: not a ninja
B: not an 'imperial guard' thing
C: a martyr and, thus, dead
character profiles
Jade and Skarlet profiles describes them as the exact same thing with the main difference being their job proficiency, kinda waiting to see what they will do with Kitana or other female Ninjas on this point forward, but definitely the imperial body guard thing its a theme they're going with it to describe them now.

And i don't think sindel is, her place there is just speculation.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Now they are called Imperial Body Guards, and they have two roles essentially.
First one is to protect the khan/emperor, and have like a sort of side job or a specification while still working as a emperor defender/Enforcer
Basically what NRS did is to give the female Ninjas a military role, so they're like a faction now, maybe mandatory duty for female edenians in the past and only a select few now.

Same way police has swat, bomb squad, investigatigation, internal affairs, same way amry has the exact same things and black ops.

Jade: Currently in MK11 she is labelled as an Assassin, in the MK9 events she was Kitana's personal body guard, so i can see why, and as a personal friend of the princess both grew together fighting a lot and learning, currently i think Jade and Kitana represents the Edenia's finesse at its best as every true edenian character feels like a very well educated person, even Tanya which can be a dick sometimes she throws some offence with delicate words.
Jade was always Kahn's assassin, assigned to guard Kitana.

Kratilim

Noob
Also, retconn'd or not. NRS can do with their characters whatever the hell they want (like changing/clarifying the ethnicity like they're discussing in the other thread). Don't like their changes? Then you can either not buy the game, or suck it up.

Lokheit

Noob
Jade was always Kitana's bodyguard (so she acted as imperial bodyguard as Kitana was royalty).

Skarlett was created to act as Shao Kahn enforcer and bodyguard and on her MK9 ending was really mad at Quan Chi for betraying Shao Kahn so she goes hunting as she failed her duty.

Both characters have always been bodyguarding outworld royalty (royalty of an imperial system), I'm not sure I would consider a retcon to put the name in there.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Actually, Jade became Kitana's bodyguard in MK9. There is no mention or reference to her being Kitana's bodyguard in the old timeline.
There is in the comics.
In the comics she's more like stalking Kitana though, because Kahn doesn't trust her.
So you're right in a sense that she became more of a friend in mk9 as she got more character personality.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Um even if the term Imperial Guard is used it doesn't alter function of essentially being ninja-adjacent. Ninja performed a WIDE variety of duties from Assassination, Espionage, Sabotage, and yes BODYGUARDS (frequently). Kitana and the others would each of had specialties or preferences sure (Kitana is specifically mentioned to be an expert ASSASSIN) but would still be cross-trained regardless. It's one of my personal pet peeves about Kitana that people keep focusing on the "princess" in her title and expecting her to be elegant, regal, or like a typical trophy bimbo princess instead of being a "NINJA-WARRIOR PRINCESS". She should by all accounts be more Xena and less Peach, lol.

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
They were never called 'ninjas' to begin with, that was an informal fan term mostly. Mileena and Kitana and Jade were always imperial assassins, so this isn't really anything new.

I don't think it's a broad-spectrum designation for the 'female ninja' characters, though, because Tanya -- who's definitely grouped with them -- never held a role like that.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
In terms of lore, Scorpion and Takeda are the only actual ninja in the playable cast, period.

Ninja as MK fandom lingo just referred to a group of palette swapped men who look like ninja, and later applied to this group of women because they followed the same pattern, and then again for the "robot ninjas" later on.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Lemme tell you something. Our girl Tanya serves no Emperor.

Also, how is Sindel a ninja? what!
Tanya is an idealist of free edenia, which leads me to believe she is from a time where Edenia wasn't merged with outword, so how hold is she? over 10 years old? So on that time she served someone before Shao Kahn, maybe the real sindel and King Jerrod.

Also i put sindel there, because i think maybe Sindel founded this faction, and as an edenian empress there are evidences that she used to be a very skilled warrior even before Quan's braiwash, in MK Deception there is a segment where before Shujinko practice with Tanya and Sindel in edenia they're sort of like in a training camp.

Its all pure speculation of course, but its really interesting to see everyone's thoughs on this!

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
I thought it was interesting and out of character(at first) to see Tanya and Rain presented as being "Freedom Fighters" in MKX when in og timeline they both BETRAYED Edenia's freedom out of self-preservation and to secure a position of power for themselves. It then occurred to me that the MKX portrayal was less out of genuine belief in ideals of a free homeland but no doubt rather for self serving reasons in that they both believed if they helped Edenia gain its independence they being "heroes" would be given top positions in its new government. Tanya's ending of betraying Rain to save herself confirms this for me, lol.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I thought it was interesting and out of character(at first) to see Tanya and Rain presented as being "Freedom Fighters" in MKX when in og timeline they both BETRAYED Edenia's freedom out of self-preservation and to secure a position of power for themselves. It then occurred to me that the MKX portrayal was less out of genuine belief in ideals of a free homeland but no doubt rather for self serving reasons in that they both believed if they helped Edenia gain its independence they being "heroes" would be given top positions in its new government. Tanya's ending of betraying Rain to save herself confirms this for me, lol.
Everything is so different in this timeline, Sub and Scorpion became best bros.

Also on kitana thing, she is trully skilled, she is like this character who can be angry and destroy, but she chooses to do good.
The ability of thinking for herself and making decisions on her own judgement and not in the interest of her emperor was one of the most selling points to me in MK9.