What's new

Faust - General Discussion

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
Talk about all things Faust here! The good doctor has returned! (Now with 10 times more creepiness). I'll be looking to main him come the 11th so I'll be sharing anything I learn here with ppl who are interested!

Here's my YT channel's GGST playlist. I'm new to the game so I'll be learning as I go along. I welcome all feedback from veteran players on how I can improve!

Pizza

Thrill Kill
Nice! I'm not a Faust expert, but in the video I noticed that you struggled when Sol cornered you. Today I watched a video analysis of Faust vs Potemkin, and I think it can be very helpful!

Faust has some good tools to deal with the opponent's pressure. Throwing items is one of them, but in that match I liked how he used the "tornado" and spinning moves to gain mobility and move away from Potemkin's reach.

Mandolore1123

Nice! I'm not a Faust expert, but in the video I noticed that you struggled when Sol cornered you. Today I watched a video analysis of Faust vs Potemkin, and I think it can be very helpful!

Faust has some good tools to deal with the opponent's pressure. Throwing items is one of them, but in that match I liked how he used the "tornado" and spinning moves to gain mobility and move away from Potemkin's reach.
Yeah I didn't know what was punishable from Sol and his ground viper was giving me a lot of trouble since it would low profile most of my moves. The thing about throwing items in this game though is that most block strings into item toss is actually massively unsafe (fS2H~item is like -23 on block) so there's no easy way to put out items unless you're full screen or you confirm into it on hit (and even then Faust has some stuff that's unsafe on hit :( ). Thanks for the advice anyway. I definitely need to be more active in this game and jump more.

Mandolore1123

Amazing analysis of Nage VS FAB by Krackatoa. He highlights Faust's major problems as a character currently very well. Not that he's trash, but he's very technical to use.

Mandolore1123

A bunch of sets from my first day with the good doctor. Honestly have no idea what I'm doing so I'd appreciate any comments/advice anyone can give in terms of gameplan or MUs. Thanks a lot in advance!

Mandolore1123

Bucket load of matches losses I had online. Looking for any advice to improve! Thanks in advance!

Immortal

Blind justice....
When playing Faust you're insta teleported to Vegas lol, i've been laughing my ass off when Faust mains just kill them self with random items. Also explains why i dont play roulette lol.

That being said - extremely cool character concept, flawed but super fun.

Mandolore1123

When playing Faust you're insta teleported to Vegas lol, i've been laughing my ass off when Faust mains just kill them self with random items. Also explains why i dont play roulette lol.

That being said - extremely cool character concept, flawed but super fun.
The items may be random, but Faust is not. His items in the game are very good and there aren’t any junk items. He’s able to throw a lot and they help him cover his offense well, giving him guaranteed mixups. Certain items also guarantee more item throws.

Immortal

Blind justice....
The items may be random, but Faust is not. His items in the game are very good and there aren’t any junk items. He’s able to throw a lot and they help him cover his offense well, giving him guaranteed mixups. Certain items also guarantee more item throws.
Lets be clear i didn't say he is bad or anything like that. Items are random and sometimes it can backfire pretty badly for the Faust player, which makes those moments pretty funny. Faust is a solid character, always was.

Mandolore1123

Lets be clear i didn't say he is bad or anything like that. Items are random and sometimes it can backfire pretty badly for the Faust player, which makes those moments pretty funny. Faust is a solid character, always was.
All cool. Faust’s entire game plan is to create order out of chaos which I enjoy a lot. There’s a lot of counterplay with items and the snowball potential is insane if you can pull out a meteor and get an item train going.

Mandolore1123

Such a huge difference in playing against people who are on my floor and people who are 3 floors up

Mandolore1123

So Fox is trying out Faust. Baits me in with that title card showing my favourite Faust colour, but of course he’s the pink one :(

Arqwart

Fatal Blowing at the Speed of Liiiiight
Any Gio mains able to help me out with what I'm doing wrong?
  1. After Sepultura (her roundhouse) on block, you need to contest with quick buttons. It's only -4 so Giovannas will often mash after (especially given certain distances) to steal their turn back.
  2. If she's never advancing with 2S or 2K, cover the screen with Faust's massive 5K or 6P when she advances. You'll clash or simply intercept her with your higher range. It'll also teach her that mindlessly advancing with her fast dash or air dash isn't going to be tolerated.
  3. Every instance of you doing what i assume is H, you immediately follow up with the stab/pull attack which kept getting jumped. Try mixing up your longer range pokes with item tosses or simply leave them as is with no cancel so you can react to her response.
  4. As soon as you get full screen knockbacks, you seem to consistently go in for the long-range overhead. That's really dangerous against her since she can move SO quickly. I'd recommend item tossing in that situation instead so you can potentially set up some defense/offense now that neutral is back in your favor with the distance.
  5. As SOON as the affro is on the opponent, you need to enforce 5K/2K jump cancel jD. Shit is bonkers powerful.
  6. Gio has little to no height on her grounded attacks. In defensive situations where she's staggering, super jump is your best friend (especially since you can horizontally fly as Faust to get out of the corner).
  7. Gotta start using faultless defense when she's staggering you in the corner. It'll get you enough space to get the above-mentioned super jump out.
  8. The instant you get meteor or the trumpet picked up, consider using the scarecrow teleport to do an instant cross-up you can capitalize on. It's absolutely disgusting.
  9. Any instance you get the trumpet picked up, advance. Always advance. If they're jumping a lot in response, you have jH (or whichever is the air-to-air forward stab) to knock them right back down. If you have them grounded, you can do scarecrow teleport mixup, grab, command grab, etc. because the opponent is going to be petrified by the incoming onslaught. Neither grab nor command grab are interrupted by the mini-fausts either so it's just a dirty as fuck mixup.

Mandolore1123

1. After Sepultura (her roundhouse) on block, you need to contest with quick buttons. It's only -4 so Giovannas will often mash after (especially given certain distances) to steal their turn back.
  2. If she's never advancing with 2S or 2K, cover the screen with Faust's massive 5K or 6P when she advances. You'll clash or simply intercept her with your higher range. It'll also teach her that mindlessly advancing with her fast dash or air dash isn't going to be tolerated.
  3. Every instance of you doing what i assume is H, you immediately follow up with the stab/pull attack which kept getting jumped. Try mixing up your longer range pokes with item tosses or simply leave them as is with no cancel so you can react to her response.
  4. As soon as you get full screen knockbacks, you seem to consistently go in for the long-range overhead. That's really dangerous against her since she can move SO quickly. I'd recommend item tossing in that situation instead so you can potentially set up some defense/offense now that neutral is back in your favor with the distance.
  5. As SOON as the affro is on the opponent, you need to enforce 5K/2K jump cancel jD. Shit is bonkers powerful.
  6. Gio has little to no height on her grounded attacks. In defensive situations where she's staggering, super jump is your best friend (especially since you can horizontally fly as Faust to get out of the corner).
  7. Gotta start using faultless defense when she's staggering you in the corner. It'll get you enough space to get the above-mentioned super jump out.
  8. The instant you get meteor or the trumpet picked up, consider using the scarecrow teleport to do an instant cross-up you can capitalize on. It's absolutely disgusting.
  9. Any instance you get the trumpet picked up, advance. Always advance. If they're jumping a lot in response, you have jH (or whichever is the air-to-air forward stab) to knock them right back down. If you have them grounded, you can do scarecrow teleport mixup, grab, command grab, etc. because the opponent is going to be petrified by the incoming onslaught. Neither grab nor command grab are interrupted by the mini-fausts either so it's just a dirty as fuck mixup.
Thanks for the advice. I knew 214K was minus but I kept messing up my cS checks. Probably should have done 5P I guess.
I guess I was doing a lot of scalpels yeah, I was trying to condition her because fS2H~item toss is -23 on block. I need to work on my muscle memory and just try to anti-air her more I guess.
I'll try to get more matches in. Thanks again!

Arqwart

Fatal Blowing at the Speed of Liiiiight
Thanks for the advice. I knew 214K was minus but I kept messing up my cS checks. Probably should have done 5P I guess.
I guess I was doing a lot of scalpels yeah, I was trying to condition her because fS2H~item toss is -23 on block. I need to work on my muscle memory and just try to anti-air her more I guess.
I'll try to get more matches in. Thanks again!
Forgot to mention that both her Sol Poente (jumping kick special) and Trovao (spiral arrow kick special) can be 6P'd, including if Sol Poente does a cross-up. You won't get any damage follow-up out of it without meter, but you'll at least get her off your ass so you can breathe for a moment. In Faust's case, it's a big enough counter hit state that you should easily get 1-2 free item tosses.

Mandolore1123

Forgot to mention that both her Sol Poente (jumping kick special) and Trovao (spiral arrow kick special) can be 6P'd, including if Sol Poente does a cross-up. You won't get any damage follow-up out of it without meter, but you'll at least get her off your ass so you can breathe for a moment. In Faust's case, it's a big enough counter hit state that you should easily get 1-2 free item tosses.
Yeah there are some Faust-specific counters to those moves. Hopefully I can showcase them once I get the reactions and muscle memory down