What's new

Fatal Blows Are Not Needed In This Game (Proposed Changes)

Sanjo

Noob
I think that the Fatal Blow mechanic is great ! The fact that you can only use it once per match and that it breaks armor adds more strategy to the game. I agree that some of them need a fix (nerf or buff). Krushing Blows are great too for strategy, especially throw KB as it creates a mind game (off topic but I think that the throw game in MK11 is excellent as it makes you consider your position in order to read what throw the opponent is most likely to use; mind games!)

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
I think they have their place and do their intention - give you a chance to come back. One change I would make is either let them scale much more in combos, or make them not cancelable from strings. Just to be single moves that you can do on reaction/read to gain some advantage. But this would be a big hype killer, so just make scale badly in combos.
Tbh, i like em how they are right now as a mechanic.
I 100% agree, Fatal Blows are good for the game competitively and hype wise. The majority of them are balanced so why nerf everyones just because Geras and Erron Blacks give you high blood pressure? Cut Erron Black and Geras fatal blow ranges in half and im good. Dont even scale in combos

DeftMonk

Noob
I'm kinda torn here. On one hand, yeah, some Fatal Blows can be viewed as unfair, such as Geras and Erron, who not only have some of the best damage and tools in the game, but also the best Fatal Blows.

However, as a Johnny main, his Fatal Blow cancel is one of his best pressure tools and having that cost resources would be a problem. Now, if he could cancel that and have it not cost resources or a reduced resource cost, as opposed to if it missed, then I'd be more on board.
For this reason if they ever do some overhaul to the fb mechanic, Johnny players will for sure be getting the shaft.

MK9 = All 3 bars, lose it whether it hits or not
MKX = All 3 bars, lost it whether it hits or not
MK11 = No Resources, Regens if blocked or whiffed.
The only thing you forgot to mention is X-Rays weren't one time only. You could land one in Round 1, then lose a round ('meter building round' LOL) and land another one in Round 3. Boom, you could score about 65% percent damage (without komboing into it) out of the 200% you needed to beat someone. FB is one time only (as far as damage goes) and you can steal only one round. No resources but you have to be low on life so it's limited in a way. If you're better than your opponent, you'll win eventually. If not, it's not only because of the FB.

I played a Kano in the last days of FT3 Ranked. We were evenly matched but I lost the first two matches to his Fatal Blow. Was it annoying? Oh, of course it was. Was it my fault? Oh, yes it was. I poked both times and he punished me twice for it. Then I pulled myself together and reverse 3-0'd him and won eventually by making better reads and punishes. My experience shows that FB territory comes down to patience. You have to be patient with pulling the trigger and wait for the right moment on the offensive and you have to be extra careful as the defender.

I'll admit it to anyone anywhere that Erron and Geras has great FBs (Kabal, Cetrion and Noob too) but these are tools. It's so satisfying to suck a Jade in after the bitch was running from me during the whole match doing air glaves but it has to be a read, timed perfectly with the right spacing. It's not that free. Erron takes it one step further, and it sucks when you duck his FB, melt his life from full screen, he's on last breath and his FB comes back in the last second but whatever. Yeah, I lost it. :D

Characters are different for a reason. If you want level playing field, take away all the OP Fatal Blows, take away Scorp's teleport (those friggin cancels...), Erron's half screen jump kick, Cage's FB cancel option, Sub-Zero's meterless freeze, Sonya's MKX mix, Jacqui's cancels, an so on. Then you'll have the exact same characters and it will be boring AF.

IMO the more tools the better. You can win by it just as you can lose to it.

Last edited:

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Fatal blows just need to have more damage scaling (like Baraka being able to get almost 60% dmg off a KB is a bit ridiculous man no offense), and even then the FBs should be adjusted accordingly on a case by case basis (case and point EB, Kabal, etc.) FBs that can cancel like Johnny Cages is fine and don't need adjusting since it's part of his gameplan and maybe increase cooldown to 15 seconds but even then it's not that bad tbh. Most are fine as it is tho I would probably make the punish window on them bigger (they're suppose to be punishable anyways) even tho most can just be dash cancelled punish but some push so far back that it's hard to punish. (Noob)

Matix218

Get over here!

I think we all can see the problem here. Which one doesn't belong with the others? lol
They don't need to be removed, they just need to cost SOMETHING and NOT come back if you fail.
I am with you but to be honest I think if they did like 25% (instead of over 30%) and scaled a little more in combos and you only got one attempt per round it would make them much more acceptable. The fact that you can miss one then like 8 seconds later hit one in the same round is absurd, especially factoring in the damage they do currently

trufenix

bye felicia

I think we all can see the problem here. Which one doesn't belong with the others? lol
They don't need to be removed, they just need to cost SOMETHING and NOT come back if you fail.
Also, MK9/X nobody ever used them. So, definitely best implementation.

Fatal blows are annoying. Not even the gameplay sort, but the length.
There is no reason for it not to be one hit. Noob jumping soldier right in opponent's face is cool, him then doing two more hits in speed up slow Mo isn't. When FB lands I usually have time to pour myself a drink and finish it.
The minigame oh god, I keep mashing X hoping for the best but it doesn't seem fair to turn a fighting game into a rhythm game.
In gameplay yeah, I hate that they don't go away after a miss. Really not nice to fight an Erron who keeps doing it. It's honestly not a bad strategy to get hit by it in the first round so you don't have to deal with it anymore.
Sub-Zero's slide is also dumb as hell against Erron's FB. I remember going for it and thinking how smart I was, sliding right under the bullets. So I slide right up to him, hit him in armour, then sub just gets up and gets a faceful of lead.

fatal blows wouldn't go away for more krushing blows but i will agree that the state of krushing blows as they are now is pretty dumb. with how unique mk is you get some bullshit property supers like: full screen, half screen, tracking, hitboxes that reach farther than they seem, overhead, etc. I say make them even more negative than they are, put the armor on frame 1, and make them non-recoverable.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
I think that the Fatal Blow mechanic is great !
Disgust.

The fact that you can only use it once per match and that it breaks armor adds more strategy to the game.
This is not even true. Disgust.

I 100% agree, Fatal Blows are good for the game competitively and hype wise. The majority of them are balanced
Disgust.

You don't like fatal blows cos your main is cassie and your secondary is kano. Ask Erron Black and Geras mains.
Disgust.

IMO the more tools the better. You can win by it just as you can lose to it.
Disgust.

Most are fine as it is
Disgust.

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
Its really scrubby to even say this but once I get access to my fatal blow my entire gameplan shifts towards finding an opening to use it or working my opponents health down enough to where it finishes them.

Its just that powerful and low risk. Like why fish for my 30% breakable, droppable, punishable B&B or try and play intelligent footsies for the next 5-6 hits when I can just press 2 buttons and end the round at pretty much no cost?

Also, the animations and hype level of FB's just don't match up with their current use IMO. They seem like something that you'd really only expect to see once in a blue moon. You know, feel really hype when you hit it and it saves you. Not as an obligatory once per match type thing.

I saw "Fatal Blows", so I'm here once again. A true turd stain on an otherwise great game. Unfortunately I don't think they are going anywhere, but I do think they will likely be adjusted. I'm hoping for some form of-

-Universal application. Meaning, no more "Cassie jumps around like an idiot but Erron shoots you with 10F full screen for breathing". Make them all a punch or kick up close, and when blocked -30 with no block stun.

-Armor later in the startup, or projectile only. The absolute #1 worst feeling in this game is poking when you're opponent is negative, but you get Fatal Blow'd for a loss. It's the anti-logic to the neutral play.
-Drains all 4 bars. Dunno what happened between MK9 and MKX to this, but it should drain all the bars.
-One time per match.

Then, it would still be a comeback mechanic, but not a game changing, sometimes game breaking mechanic. KBs I believe should also be accessible for all characters, or difficult for all characters. I don't agree with a Johnny character having to do splits on the moon to access just one KB, while Geras already strong can say hello and KB you 87 times in one match. Accessibility should be at the same level for all characters, and balance done around that. But that's a different conversation altogether.
i completely agree with universal application and one time per match

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
Oh and my fix would be to simply give access to them at maybe 10% health instead of 30 or whatever it is now. That way you'd see them way way way less since its a lot more rare to wind up in neutral with 10% health in this game as opposed to 30%. Usually you're dead before you get a chance to press buttons with < 10%.

Would also add a wrinkle into the breakway system. Making sure you had resources available to break once you were low on health would be even more important.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
Wish none were full screen nor half screen (Jax, LK, etc) , all where a simple physical attack, no pushback, didn't regen, actually cost something.

Right now we got like 40 percent miminum attacks that take up way too much space and are made unnecessarily harder to punish all at the press of 2 buttons. It's ridiculous. Promote the game as some return to fundamentals then give almost everyone a move that just straight up destroys that for massive comeback potential.

Afumba

Noob
The only thing you forgot to mention is X-Rays weren't one time only. You could land one in Round 1, then lose a round ('meter building round' LOL) and land another one in Round 3. Boom, you could score about 65% percent damage (without komboing into it) out of the 200% you needed to beat someone. FB is one time only (as far as damage goes) and you can steal only one round. No resources but you have to be low on life so it's limited in a way. If you're better than your opponent, you'll win eventually. If not, it's not only because of the FB.
Yea but you forgot that Xray werent a thing in every match for every character in every round because it meant you had to save up 3 bars. It also wasnt awarded only to the losing player. You could have been winning and still be the person who had the Xray. Xray werent just a comeback mechanic, FBs are and a stupid one at that. (Xray were dumb as well but a different kind)

Also in MK11 you could very well win because of FB. You lose the first round, win the second, third round you are at 20% and your opponent is at 50. You literally could win now due to having FB whilst your opponent hasnt. Lots of character can take 50%+ with FB on deck. Jax can potentially delete your bar with it. The fact that you get such a powerful tool just for being below 30%hp is dumb, having no cost makes it extremely stupid.

There also have been enough matches on stream, even in tournaments, which were decided by FBs.

Even giving them to both players from the get go (with 1 charge/round) would be better than how it is now.

Also in MK11 you could very well win because of FB. You lose the first round, win the second, third round you are at 20% and your opponent is at 50. You literally could win now due to having FB whilst your opponent hasnt. Lots of character can take 50%+ with FB on deck. Jax can potentially delete your bar with it. The fact that you get such a powerful tool just for being below 30%hp is dumb, having no cost makes it extremely stupid.

There also have been enough matches on stream, even in tournaments, which were decided by FBs.
Yes you can. I didn't say anything about you can't. But why is that a problem? You can win by a lot of things why shouldn't you win by a Fatal Blow if you have it? I said if you lose it's not only because of it. That means you have already lost a round and you were below 40% in Round 3 and you got hit. You could win by an X-Ray in MKX and was the two-hit instant armor more fair because you had 3 meters to perform it?

Then we could question a lot of tools based on the opponent has it but you haven't. You can have FB with 20% life and you're up gainst a Scorpion with a life lead. You must attack because time ticking down. Step, block, step, block, step, block, he's jumping back and forth, you have to attack or anti-air, boom, teleport, meter burn, you're done! Or you're up against a Baraka, he can delete your bar on hit with the Gut KB if you don't have full defensive bar to air escape from 40%+health so you can't even think about using your FB to survive.

You think being low on health is no cost, I think otherwise. It is a get out of jail kard in a way but you still have to make a read/time it properly/find a way to land it.

The only thing I'd change is the regen. If you whiff you shouldn't have it once again in the same round. That would make sense. But it is called Fatal Blow for a reason. You should be able to win rounds/matches with it.