What's new

Fatal Blows Are Not Needed In This Game (Proposed Changes)

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Simply, because of krushing blows!

Now I know, y'all Johnny players gonna tell me his are ass, and they are, but what I'm proposing is that if NRS gives every character useful KBs and fix some of the ridiculous triggers off of some of them, would we really need fatal blows? I feel like if we would center our gameplan around getting KBs in combos, or out of them, then that would be the only comeback mechanic we would really need. Especially if you cash in on the throw KBs, which every character should have, but I also would propose that they should do less damage.

What do you all think about this?

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
MK9 = All 3 bars, lose it whether it hits or not
MKX = All 3 bars, lost it whether it hits or not
MK11 = No Resources, Regens if blocked or whiffed.

I think we all can see the problem here. Which one doesn't belong with the others? lol
They don't need to be removed, they just need to cost SOMETHING and NOT come back if you fail.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'd love it if there were Krushing Blows that only triggered if you're in danger of losing but also require you to actually land a combo prior and not just mash the fucking buttons and pray the armor works.

I despise Fatal Blows so much. They're so imbalanced and inconsistent across the roster (just like Krushing Blows). Why does Geras have so many tools AND a Fatal Blow that completely stops the game from being played?

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
I'd be fine without em but they're not going anywhere. I would like to see them cost resources/not be able to be used over and over. One shot and you're done.

I had a match the other week where my opponent had 4-5 cracks at it. I got hit by the last one to lose the match. Cassie's FB isn't easy to punish :/

Edit: I don't mean in the round, but rather the match. Think I dodged one the 1st round, 2 the second, 1-2 the last before eating it.

Last edited:

thlityoursloat

kick kick
What? No, I worked my fucking ass off to get down to 30% health. Do you have any idea how hard that is? How rare it is to get that in a match? It's way harder than ever before, I tell you.
/s
fuck this mechanic, it's an absolute disgrace and goes against the entire point of the game. They should either remove the armor or make them cost ALL meters.

DixieFlatline78

Everyone Has A Path
Sometimes it feels like a legit Win-the-Game button. They're hard to punish sometimes too.

Geras, Erron Black, Kabal, Scorpion, etc can all punish you for just trying to play the game. Ten frame, full screen, armored, perpetually active projectile. Hope you weren't doing anything at all, bitch.

Some are fine and have different utility than just hoping they didnt hit you within five frames. But as a KL player, having the second hit whiff in a juggle is the worst feeling.

They dont feel good to win with, they dont feel good to lose to

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I think they have their place and do their intention - give you a chance to come back. One change I would make is either let them scale much more in combos, or make them not cancelable from strings. Just to be single moves that you can do on reaction/read to gain some advantage. But this would be a big hype killer, so just make scale badly in combos.
Tbh, i like em how they are right now as a mechanic.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
I'm kinda torn here. On one hand, yeah, some Fatal Blows can be viewed as unfair, such as Geras and Erron, who not only have some of the best damage and tools in the game, but also the best Fatal Blows.

However, as a Johnny main, his Fatal Blow cancel is one of his best pressure tools and having that cost resources would be a problem. Now, if he could cancel that and have it not cost resources or a reduced resource cost, as opposed to if it missed, then I'd be more on board.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
They're really meant to be a Hail Mary sort of mechanic; but as they are, they're just a guaranteed 30-34% damage unbreakable combo with little to NO risk involved as you can simply hit confirm into it or yolo armor your way through something. Also, their lack of any real combo scaling affect is insane. Someone who is low on life should have a nice comeback mechanic, but suddenly having access to 50-60%+ damage is NOT a cool comeback mechanic. That's just cancer.

There needs to be more given up as this mechanic just doesn't require any effort right now. I agree with TaserFace in that they should lock out all of both your bars akin to what Last Breath does to your defensive meter. For Johnny Cage's unique situation of being able to cancel his, make it reinstate his meter bars if he cancels it.

EDIT: To clarify on the meter lockout, I don't think you'd need to have all 4 bars of meter on hand to use the FB. It would just delete your bars immediately upon use like Last Breath does.

D

Deleted member 35141

As you said make KBs more universal and FBs can go bye bye. Thats never going to happen so it need to take multiple resources at the least.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
They're really meant to be a Hail Mary sort of mechanic; but as they are, they're just a guaranteed 30-34% damage unbreakable combo with little to NO risk involved as you can simply hit confirm into it or yolo armor your way through something. Also, their lack of any real combo scaling affect is insane. Someone who is low on life should have a nice comeback mechanic, but suddenly having access to 50-60%+ damage is NOT a cool comeback mechanic. That's just cancer.

There needs to be more given up as this mechanic just doesn't require any effort right now. I agree with TaserFace in that they should lock out all of both your bars akin to what Last Breath does to your defensive meter. For Johnny Cage's unique situation of being able to cancel his, make it reinstate his meter bars if he cancels it.
Alright, the part about being similar to the Last Breath mechanic, I like that idea. You still need to take a risk to use it, and that would truly make it a clutch move.

Son ov Timett

Bork, No Jin
I abhor that youre rewarded to what can amount to an upward of 45% kombo off hit confirm by simply getting your arse kicked.

One can be completely trouncing an opponent, get them down to under 30 percent. Bam Kb for 30, followed by a 45% fatal. Derp der youre dead. Culling the thought process of meter management from this game was a bad idea. I can only rationalize that the real reason behind it was for balance. NRS didnt want some bull crap Aquaman trident rush deal.

Tie it in with meter at the very least. Let it cost the full monty of resources ffs.

Edit- Random idea, why not reward a player for landing 2-3 krushing blows with access to a fatal. Say ye hit 3 krushing in RD1, now you have access to fatal for remainder of fight, as long as ye have 2def/2off bars.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
Simply, because of krushing blows!

Now I know, y'all Johnny players gonna tell me his are ass, and they are, but what I'm proposing is that if NRS gives every character useful KBs and fix some of the ridiculous triggers off of some of them, would we really need fatal blows? I feel like if we would center our gameplan around getting KBs in combos, or out of them, then that would be the only comeback mechanic we would really need. Especially if you cash in on the throw KBs, which every character should have, but I also would propose that they should do less damage.

What do you all think about this?
I don't think FBs need to go away. I actually enjoy them. I use Shang Tsung and his Fatal Blow has short range and starts up at 25f so you have to be smart when to use it.
I feel like certain Fatal Blows need to be normalized for the most part.
Ones like Shang, Baraka, Noob, Cetrion are fine but lightning fast unreactable mid to full screen Fatal need to be adjusted. This game is a footsie game and Fatal Blows that are that good dictate the end if the match far too much destroying footsie and putting the opponent in a constant block state.
Jax's, Errons, Geras's Fatal Blows are to fast and have way to much Range.

I don't mind that they come back at all if they where -25 on block with no pushback so they have to be used intelligently instead of spammed with no regard.
All fatal blows should be at least 18f startup even 22f and all should be at least -20 on block without pushback to keep it safe.
If these changes where made then I feel it wouldn't matter that they come back or are full screen because there would be a high risk for using them at the wrong time while retaining a high reward for connecting them in combo/reaction/read.

With all of that said I think certain characters have lackluster FB's and they could be improved to have more uses. I understand many don't want top tiers to get help but I feel its a huge part if the game and lacking in FB's, KB's effectiveness should be addressed no matter the strength of the character.
Cassie, Shang have some pretty weak Fatal Blows. I think Shang's Should at least be 22f startup and have starting position range so it could be connected in combo more often. Right now I have a small window in combo from:
F24xxDB1-Amp, DashxxF2/21 into Fatal Blow but it doesn't have much timing to connect and has to be done very quickly.

I'll let the Cassie mains ask for hers to be fixed, I feel Italian (I hate my Autocorrect) Its pretty bad compared to the majority of the cast.

Last edited: