What's new

Failed mercy, comeback, ragequit.. all in one

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Blowing up an ill advised Mercy for the win is definitely one of the better ways to win. Maybe the best.

It's been awhile since I heard some "Our Lady Peace" in the wild.

Always enjoying to see a mercy comeback. I've once thunder-fried brutality (not on purpose) a Geras who mercied me, and ended up winning the set.
What a weird satisfaction I felt.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
That's karma lol. I never mercy anyone unless I'm playing with a friend or someone I know and just messing around.

That and was good to watch, scorpions lame in this game so seeing shao kahn of all people beat him brings a smile to my face.:Dprops to thebshao kahn player.

E

Eldriken

Uh huh. A win after a Mercy doesn't count my ass.

You guys can claim all you want that that's how you feel, but if you were in the same situation and money was on the line and you won due to a Mercy, you can bet your sweet asses you'd be like, "A WIN IS A WIN LOOOOOL".

You didn't win anything until you hear "insert character name here wins". Doesn't matter if you had the opportunity to perform a Mercy. You relinquished your "win" by trying to humiliate someone and lost instead. Of course someone wouldn't consider that a win because now they feel like an asshole for trying to be slick and losing.

DragonofDadashov24

Let’s see whose fire burns hotter

You guys can claim all you want that that's how you feel, but if you were in the same situation and money was on the line and you won due to a Mercy, you can bet your sweet asses you'd be like, "A WIN IS A WIN LOOOOOL".

You didn't win anything until you hear "insert character name here wins". Doesn't matter if you had the opportunity to perform a Mercy. You relinquished your "win" by trying to humiliate someone and lost instead. Of course someone wouldn't consider that a win because now they feel like an asshole for trying to be slick and losing.
Well, you clearly don’t know shit about me, lol. I’d just put my controller down the moment I saw my hp bar empty. Real match is when you win two rounds and that’s it. Mercy is a thing made for fun. I frequently mercy people when I see my hp nearly full just to make the fight longer and not to humiliate anyone lol.
Only a real idiot would mercy someone on a tourney, that’s just some karma shit.
And when I win while being mercied I just return the favor to make the fight somewhat fair.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Now that I rewatch it, it's hard to tell if the Shao Kahn player was trolling the Scorpion player(I don't think he was) but I have done similar experiments to people where I pretend I don't know what I'm doing then bait them to doing riskier shit then play more serious lol and it catches them off guard. This is only when I'm messing around though hehe.

I also want to say though as I rewatched this again, that if anything dude you or whoever the Shao Kahn player is imo the BETTER player than Scorpion. Why? Well for one, you beat a Scorpion player with a weaker character. This alone to me proves if anything you're the better, more skilled player. Scorp is a brainddead character any of us can do well with given all his tools. Secondly, you came back and won 2 rounds straight from a mercy....not exactly easy especially against Scorpion.

• Win after granting Mercy: “I gave you another chance and you still lost, you’re trash.”
  • Lose after granting Mercy: “That wasn’t a real win because I gave you another chance, you’re trash.”
That’s a nice option select you have there.
It doesn't get more accurate than this. Personally, I think if your health totals are similar it's a respectful mercy. Safe Mercy is pretty eye-rolly, but still valid.
But, the result is absolutely final and nobody is obligated to Mercy back. It's like overtime.

Also, baconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbacon!
Fuck I miss that game... :(

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
I can kind of halfsee the point of it not being a full win, but to lose a set means that person still got beat fair at least once. I don't think the person losing to their ill advised mercy can really claim any kind of victory either.

Philosophy arguments aside, I'm taking your points if you put them on the line like that.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
I'm completely baffled and annoyed by the music choice in this video. It's so loud and out of place. I can't imagine uploading this and thinking "it's.....missing something"

"EUREKA! A RANDOM OUR LADY PEACE SONG!"

MuMuGuy

Noob
It doesn't get more accurate than this. Personally, I think if your health totals are similar it's a respectful mercy. Safe Mercy is pretty eye-rolly, but still valid.
But, the result is absolutely final and nobody is obligated to Mercy back. It's like overtime.

Also, baconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbaconbacon!
Fuck I miss that game... :(
I would give just about anything for an Anarchy Reigns remake for the current or next console gen. That was my game back in the 360/PS3 days and it had a boss soundtrack. Oinkie was my dude, but I also liked using Garuda.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster

My opinion aside since I doubt it means anything lol, i don't know you much but i tend to agree with 99% of your posts and we're close to the same age....

I remember the arcade days of MK3 and UMK3 of a group of sometimes a dozen guys standing around the same cabinet, having the time of our lives trying to figure out the game, learn new stuff, discover new hidden secrets, and discussing the meta while we all waited our turn.

I really don't recall any raging or purposely attempting to humiliate opponents - we were all standing around laughing with each other and sharing strategies, tech, inputs etc. I remember a buddy saying "Aw, it's like that, i can't even get a Friendship??!!" after I just did a Fatality because they were all i knew at that point but he was smiling and all in good fun.

Mercy was simply the only way to do that Oh-so-sacred Animality so many people were trying to do (or trying to figure out HOW TO DO). It was never about humiliation, just players trying to uncover all the different ways to finish an opponent while we stood around, perfect strangers, beating each others asses and all being cool with each other and sharing every bit of information we discovered about the game with each other.

The main point of my post is because my earliest and fondest memories of Mercy and Animalities represent teamwork among random strangers with 1 thing in common - leveling UP.

Just some food for thought to some of the younger generation who have had the privilege of being able to look up strategy guides and tech on the internet at the touch of a finger.

The older generation had to figure stuff out on our own and help each other, at least until strategy guides hit the stores (back then we had ancient artifacts known as "books" :)).....

But for $15.... Most of us didn't have much money very often so it was a decision between buying this legendary creation called "a book" ....

Or pumping another $15 of quarters into the machine ;)

So there you have my thoughts, opinion completely omitted.