What's new

Faction Based Character Predictions

With the most recent trailer that was released detailing additional information about game modes and teasers about MKX, there was a huge emphasis on Factions. Factions seem to be a big part of the online presence of the game and I imagine the offline presence as well.

I was wondering if the overall character choices were ultimately decided based on the faction emphasis, and if so I believe this may be a way to somewhat predict which characters belong where and what characters we might expect to see released in the future?

I believe in the screenshots of the character select screen we have seen that there are 25 slots total (perhaps there are more characters), if this is the case and we can assume there is any balance between which characters belong to which faction, perhaps there are currently 5 characters per faction?

I don't know too much about Mortal Kombat lore personally, but I know there are people here that do. I would be interested to see which characters you think will make the cut and which faction they belong to?

Lin Kuei
- Sub-Zero

- Slot 2
- Slot 3
- Slot 4
- Slot 5

White Lotus
- Raiden

- Slot 2
- Slot 3
- Slot 4
- Slot 5

Brotherhood of Shadows
- Quan Chi
- Slot 2
- Slot 3
- Slot 4
- Slot 5

Special Forces
- Cassie Cage
- Slot 2
- Slot 3
- Slot 4
- Slot 5

Black Dragon
- Kano
- Slot 2
- Slot 3
- Slot 4
- Slot 5

Already announced characters (which faction do they belong to?):
- D'Vorrah
- Ermac
- Ferra/Torr
- Goro
- Kitana
- Kotal Kahn
- Kung Lao
- Reptile
- Scorpion

Last edited:
Here are some of my guesses for which characters might be part of the final roster and which faction they belong to:

Lin Kuei
- Sub-Zero
- Smoke
- Cyrax
- Sektor
- Slot 5

White Lotus
- Raiden
- Liu Kang (not sure if this is where he belongs)
- Kung Lao (not sure if this is where he belongs)
- Fujin
- Slot 5

Brotherhood of Shadows
- Quan Chi
- Shinnok
- Goro
- Kotal Kahn
- Slot 5

Special Forces
- Cassie Cage
- Sonya
- Jax
- Kabal
- Slot 5

Black Dragon
- Kano
- Slot 2
- Slot 3
- Slot 4
- Slot 5

Endding

You picked a bad time to get lost friend
Considering you can play any character, and join any faction I don't think it really makes a difference if someone belongs to a faction.

Personally don't see every character belonging to one of those factions, but that's just my opinion.

I do know for Scorpion, that it's implied that the Shirai Ryu ally with the Special Forces.

BigMilk

Former Divine Power Abuser
KL is white lotus. And we have another monk type character yet to be revealed who I also believe well be white lotus. Liu Kang or Fujin imo. Maybe even Kenshi. I have also heard that outworld will most likely work as a faction. So maybe each faction has 4 slots and one has 5.

I'm torn on this as well. Special Forces is an odd faction choice at the moment, because it's like "well, we have Cassie...lol". I would assume to fill out Special Forces, you need Sonya, Jax and Cage? Idk...wasnt Cyrax part of Lin Kuei and Special Forces???
Anyway, Ermac will be with Quan Chi
Kung Lao and Kitana with Raiden
D'Vorrah with Kotal Kahn but what faction i have no idea.
Kano with a resurrected and evil Kabal? I dont know many Black Dragon characters that NRS would use. Surely not Mavado or Hsu Hao
Too little info at the time. Also, with the supposed new generation or characters, who knows where they fit...

Well, despite Boon as well as other NRS team members saying that the final roster will probably consist of 28-32 characters, this seems like a fun bit of speculation, so why not?

Lin Kuei
Sub-Zero
Frost
Smoke
New Character
Sektor

White Lotus
Raiden
Bo' Rai Cho
Kung Lao
Fujin
New Character

Brotherhood of Shadow
Shinnok
Quan Chi
Ermac
D'Vorah
Liu Kang('cause I reckon he'll be back as a bad guy. Just my opinion)

Special Forces
Cassie Cage
Takeda/Kenshi
Cyrax
Jaqui Briggs
Sonya (I guess, seeing as how she seems to be back which kinda makes Cassie redundant)

Black Dragon
Kano
Kira
Tremor
Jarek (he could actually be rad as fuck if they flesh him out)
New Character (Baff Man?)

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Lin Kuei
- Sub-Zero

- Smoke?

White Lotus
- Raiden

- Liu Kang/Takeda? If they're in
- Kung Lao
- Fujinn? If he's in he's here for sure.
- Kitana? Otherwise I have no Idea where she'll end up. Doubt she's with Kotal or Mileena so it rules out outworld.

Brotherhood of Shadows
- Quan Chi
- Shinnock?
-Shang Tsung? If he's in, otherwise I don't know. He's not too friendly with quan chi. Maybe a temp alliance

Special Forces
- Cassie Cage
- Sonya
- Jax
- Jax's niece? If she's in
-Johnny Cage? If he's in. Otherwise I'm not sure where a good earthrealmer would ally with(and he's sonya's sugar daddy.), besides white lotus and he's not going to be there.

Black Dragon
- Kano
-New black dragon character? Who else announced would fit with Kano?

Outworld(Non-playable faction stated to invade other factions)
-Bow guy?-Looks mayan to me. A servant of Kotal? Pure speculation.

- D'Vorrah
-Erron Black
- Ferra/Torr
- Goro
- Kotal Kahn
- Reptile

None of the above
Ermac-loyal only to Shao Khan. He has a temporary alliance with Kotal maybe? But he's clearly loyal to Shao, he might betray kotal as evidenced by intro dialogue.
Scorpion-Anti-hero, not affiliated with any above. Loner.

Last edited:

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
You pick your own faction and can use whichever character you want to.

The faction you pick does not mean you can only use characters in that faction.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Neutral (Not included in factions, and are fighting on their own side)
Scorpion
Skarlet (dat Shawn Kittelsen hint, hopefully she is in the game)
Kotal Kahn (LBSH)
Ermac

If Skarlet shows in the comics (hinted by Shawn Kitt) with a new design it might be a strong indicative that she is in the game too, after all, is a Story about blood magik as Shawn said it.

callMEcrazy

Alone is where to find me.
It seems that some people don't quite understand how factions work. They seem to think that each character belongs to a faction and if you pick that character you automatically score points for that specific faction. I don't think that is how it works at all. Factions don't have anything to do with which characters you use. You could main Quan Chi and side with the special forces or main Cassie and join the brotherhood. Factions are just a way to divide the community into large clans competing against each other. This could give individuals more incentive to play as they will feel part of a group.

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
It seems that some people don't quite understand how factions work. They seem to think that each character belongs to a faction and if you pick that character you automatically score points for that specific faction. I don't think that is how it works at all. Factions don't have anything to do with which characters you use. You could main Quan Chi and side with the special forces or main Cassie and join the brotherhood. Factions are just a way to divide the community into large clans competing against each other. This could give individuals more incentive to play as they will feel part of a group.
This.

Also, it said "First thing you see is picking which Faction you want to join."

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I think people are referring to the story mode and what side each character might possibly be by dividing them into factions.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I see people saying any character could play for any faction, but I think that would be weird to say the least. Just imagine playing Cassie in the Brotherhood of shadows against Quan Chi in the Special Forces; or Scorpion in the Lin Kuei :confused: against Reptile in the White Lotus. It would be pointless to choice a faction then. Now there is still the problem of some chars don't fitting any revealed faction, in that case I think there could be 2 solution: there is/are faction(s) that is/are not revealed yet, or there are some fix chars that are faction immovable (like Cassie, Quan, SubZero, Raiden, Kano) and others that are neutral thus you can play with them in any faction (Ferra/Torr? Ermac? Scorpion? Reptile?). Tbh I really think the first solution is more likely to happen, that's just because I think there are few neutral chars to play.

Anyway, I will add a Kotal faction to the ones in the OP in order to make more sense:

White Lotus:
Raiden
Kung Lao
Kitana
Fujin
Shujinko

Lin Kuei:
SubZero
Sektor
Noob-Smoke
*new char*
*new char*

Special Forces:
Cassie
Johnny
Sonya
Jax
Takeda

Brotherhood of Shadows:
Quan Chi
D'vorah
Ermac
Scorpion
Goro

Black Dragon:
Kano
Reiko
Mileena
Havik
*new char*

Kotal Faction:
Kotal
Reptile
Ferra/Torr
*new char*
*new char*

So there you have, 6 factions with 10 new chars for MKX.

Last edited:

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
I see people saying any character could play for any faction, but I think that would be weird to say the least. Just imagine playing Cassie in the Brotherhood of shadows against Quan Chi in the Special Forces; or Scorpion in the Lin Kuei :confused: against Reptile in the White Lotus. It would be pointless to choice a faction then. Now there is still the problem of some chars don't fitting any revealed faction, in that case I think there could be 2 solution: there is/are faction(s) that is/are not revealed yet, or there are some fix chars that are faction immovable (like Cassie, Quan, SubZero, Raiden, Kano) and others that are neutral thus you can play with them in any faction (Ferra/Torr? Ermac? Scorpion? Reptile?). Tbh I really think the first solution is more likely to happen, that's just because I think there are few neutral chars to play.

Anyway, I will add a Kotal faction to the ones in the OP in order to make more sense:

White Lotus:
Raiden
Kung Lao
Kitana
Fujin
Shujinko

Lin Kuei:
SubZero
Cyrax
Noob-Smoke
*new char*
*new char*

Special Forces:
Cassie
Johnny
Sonya
Jax
Takeda

Brotherhood of Shadows:
Quan Chi
D'vorah
Ermac
Scorpion
Goro

Black Dragon:
Kano
Reiko
Mileena
Havik
*new char*

Kotal Faction:
Kotal
Reptile
Ferra/Torr
*new char*
*new char*

So there you have, 6 factions with 10 new chars for MKX.
The faction is just a mutliplayer thing, that's it, that's all. No faction is yet to-be revealed, nor hidden. You can pick any character regardless of story faction.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
The faction is just a mutliplayer thing, that's it, that's all. No faction is yet to-be revealed, nor hidden. You can pick any character regardless of story faction.
Is there a confirmation of what you're saying? Because as of now I think it's all speculation.

Mst

Noob
Are you sure you can pick any character regardless of story faction? Could you give me a link? I really don't remember any of that.
"Each faction has a Picture with a character. any character can be played in any faction." - source

I hope we get later maybe in march a demo of the entire faction system on stream.

Depending how this realm invading thing works, there might be a few characters without faction which a representing those realms. If its really a playable event and not something like "Win X games to repel the invade".

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
"Each faction has a Picture with a character. any character can be played in any faction." - source
Well, then it means I can play with Scorpion in the Lin Kuei faction, I'm not sure if we could call it a real faction then, maybe they should have group people accordingly to the side they align with in the Civil War. To me this is very weird.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
What makes you think that there are 5 or 4 characters per faction? Maybe thare are factions with 2 chars ? Lets say : Special Forces : cassie and Jax .

Reactions: SLy

TopTierHarley

Kytinn King
Well, then it means I can play with Scorpion in the Lin Kuei faction, I'm not sure if we could call it a real faction then, maybe they should have group people accordingly to the side they align with in the Civil War. To me this is very weird.
Like stated before, the Faction is nothing more than an online thing. It's just a way for people to have a feeling of accomplishment who don't want to bother playing ranked/player matches.