What's new

F22d1+3: The Duckable Overhead with an unusable KB

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
This is a day 0 problem that has never been addressed, like most of D'vorah's issues. Many will point to all the buffs she got several patches ago, but all but a few of those buffs were just meeting another day 1 nerf in the middle. Those are all problems that I feel should be addressed, and never will be, but this one...this one I have to fight for.

F22d1+3, the duckable full combo punishable overhead that her entire ability to pressure with is built around in Buzzed. Let's go over how it is supposed to function and why it's important.

F22 is D'vorah's 19f, incredibly far reaching mid string with 3 possible enders, 2 from the Parasite (Extra Strings) ability. These are:
  • F224- A 24f, +4 on block true high, meaning that it can be ducked even while blocking by everyone.
  • F22d1+3- A 26f overhead that does 60 damage, is -2 on block, is duckable by 19/30 of the cast ( +- Spawn), and has a Block Late KB that I have only landed twice in the last year.
  • F22u1+3 - A 18f unsafe ender with a KB that triggers when the last hit is the first to connect, meaning it's use is to blow up flawless blocking.
All of these together should create a mind game through which the opponent is forced to stand block with the overhead, and once they start standing, you can use your slight plus frames. I'm not sure why they decided to make that +4 because it doesn't give D'vorah any more options other than being able to frame trap a d3 instead of a d1. If they attempt to flawless block, you can krushing blow them. This isn't super strong or anything, but it's a reasonable design. It makes sense as a system of pressure.

F22d1+3 whiffing on 63% of the cast completely undoes that. Instead of conditioning someone to stand block, most characters can just duck block and if any ender is used, it is full combo punishable. F224 will whiff because it is a true high, despite the exact same animation for s3 not being a true high. F22d1+3 will whiff and be full combo punishable by anyone remotely familiar with the situation. F22u1+3 shouldn't be used since no one has any need to flawless block in this situation, but if you did decide to, it's -18.

If the overhead is fixed, I'll be able to actually use one of the primary reasons I want to play Buzzed over Arachnophobia. I think Parasite, like all extra string abilities, should be base, but barring that, I think I'm entitled to this ability functioning as intended. Yes, I used the e-word. I stand by it. This is one of the most blatant and egregious whiffing issues I've ever seen in an NRS game, which is fucking saying something.

And since I'm making demands about F22d1+3, change the KB to something useful, like the second or third time you land the overhead it launches. That way it can be loaded up and the pressure I can get out of the whole system becomes much scarier.

Second Saint

Also, here's a list of everyone this does and does not whiff on, just so you know I'm not kidding about it being a majority of the cast and if it were a percentage of congress we could pass whatever bill into law we wanted.

F22d1+3: The duckable overhead. Yes they can duck it, no they can't.
Shang Tsung: Y
Shao Kahn: N
Frost: Y
Night Wolf: N
Joker: Y
Johnny: Y
Sonya: Y
Cassie: Y
Jax: N
Scorpion: Y
Noob: Y
Baraka: N
Raiden: Y
Jacqui: N
Sub Zero: N
Kano: Y
Kabal: Y
Liu Kang: Y
Kitana: Y
Kung Lao: Y
Jade: Y
Skarlet: N
Erron Black: Y
D’vorah: N
Kotal Kahn: N
Terminator: N
Geras N
Kollector: Y
Sindel:Y
Cetrion: Y

i think the kb for f22 d1+3 should just have the same requirement as the u1+3, that way it can trigger when you mix and the opponent ducks, or it can trigger when you use it full screen away and catch them, because she jumps super effing far. make it actually scary please

I don't mind d1+3 going over people if you start f22 point blank since that's not really the range for this move. But at 1 backdash away it shouldn't. It's a pity since the damage on it is quite sweet (250 total incl DOT).

Second Saint

I don't mind d1+3 going over people if you start f22 point blank since that's not really the range for this move. But at 1 backdash away it shouldn't. It's a pity since the damage on it is quite sweet (250 total incl DOT).
When I tested who this did and didn't work on, I did it at starting distance. And since it's her only combo starting mid, I think it actually does need to be functional up close. Why should I not be able to use this move to it's full extent after a d1?

Hebrew Negro

KingofBosz97 XBL
When I tested who this did and didn't work on, I did it at starting distance. And since it's her only combo starting mid, I think it actually does need to be functional up close. Why should I not be able to use this move to it's full extent after a d1?
Please show a clip of you doing this point blank after a d1.

Second Saint

Please show a clip of you doing this point blank after a d1.
Do you mean to prove that it doesn't work point blank either? Because I assure you it doesn't. The question is never "Does this whiff at point blank or mid range," but does it hit anywhere but extremely long range. It's not like this is an uncommon thing if you play D'vorah. In fact, it's a majority of the cast. I've quit the game, with this being the final straw. I can't record any videos for you right now.

Also, part of the reason I say full functionality of the move after d1 is that you mathematically can't do that against anyone mashing 19f - (+10f) = 9f gap. Plenty of time for the dedicated button masher.