What's new

Tech - Smoke f131, far smoke bomb: the combo ender with reset potential

GinTonicTrain

Lord_Minus_Frame
The last 2 weeks i played a lot of ranked matches against hit-or-miss Mileena's. Almost every time these guys fast roll and instantly ex port after i sent them fullscreen (I like to play fullscreen on big life lead to force mistakes). I know Mileena port is unsafe and punishable but it annoys me anyway :) . I went into the lab and unexpectedly found an anti-roll-setup:

combo of choice, trident, jip, f131 far smoke bomb

- every character of the cast get's relaunched after a fast roll without blocking/backdash instantly afterwards.
- port characters like Scorpion/Ermac can EXport after fast roll but smoke can block it and go for a combo punish.

I'm not finished testing all characters fulllscreen options but for Mileena i can say, that the armor of the EXport isn't fast enough to absorb the smoke bomb (jackpot! :D). Same problem for Quan players: EX Trance and EX Sky Drop are to slow.

Maybe this is useful tech for a few Smoke players.
I'm sorry for my unpolished english but i'm not a native speaker ;)

Last edited:

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
I use 114 far bomb when I played this game and character. Nothing new to me but helpful to others. Your English is fine bro.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
This is actually pretty useful, works on several advancing wake-ups too (Ball roll, slides).

One thing, though, I really disadvice on using this when you have them in a vortex situation, you're missing out on way too much damage/pressure. Instead, the combos that start with trident initially, this is really good for (only 3~% damage loss). For example, simply b1/b3-trident or 114-EXtrident (this is usually full corner carry so it changes in consistency a bit, maybe for the better, I need to do more testing)

Thanks for sharing.

(oh and combo:
b1/b3 - trident - jip - f4d12 - rc 4 - SmBomb - NJP - rc - f131 - regular/far SmBomb) 23%

GinTonicTrain

Lord_Minus_Frame
This is actually pretty useful, works on several advancing wake-ups too (Ball roll, slides).

One thing, though, I really disadvice on using this when you have them in a vortex situation, you're missing out on way too much damage/pressure.
I agree. I use this setup when running out of bar for vortex and having big health advantage.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
slightly off topic but anyone know where i can find high lvl smoke gameplay
Pandaxgaming YouTube channel- MKX Top 8 videos with KoreytheDragon, from last weekend's Texas Showdown. He played mostly Smoke, with some GM Sub in there. Great matches.

MajinBerserker

My power equals yours!
Did some testing on using this ender, so far I'm liking it as a different/alternative option to the vortex.

It's good for baiting wake ups, as well. Example below.
Few notes:
Against Reptile's EX Slide- you'll need to use a string into Trident to start your combo, not string into Smoke Bomb. For some reason, the combo gravity from starting with Smoke Bomb doesn't throw Rep far enough after the F131 ender. Tech roll wake up EX Slide will hit Smoke before he can recover from throwing the Bomb.
*I'm only mentioning this specific case because using F131-Smoke bomb is a great wake up bait, Reptile case in point.

Super basic combo example: F21-Trident-4-Smoke Bomb-NJP-F131-Smoke Bomb (immediately hold down+block as the the last Smoke Bomb comes out)
-with Reptile set on tech roll, WU EX slide, Smoke has time to throw the Bomb at the end and block Slide
-using F21-Smoke bomb as your starter, Reptile's WU slide will hit Smoke

Cyber Sub's EX Slide may require the same type of combo adjustment, I didn't fully test. Human Sub, however, does not (tested after Reptile).