What's new

F Champ Receives Lifetime Ban, Racism in the FGC/USA, and Other Prevalent Social Discussions

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
What does segregation have anything to do with any of my arguments?

Because those who disagree with the radically leftist perspectives and positions are depicted as conservatives when they are in reality moderates.

Regardless of what you label me as, I am not losing any sleep. I am merely repeating the fact that your radical leftism in this thread makes everyone appear conservative.
Seems like a whole lot of pushback for a label that you're working really hard to make everyone believe you don't ascribe to. You clearly lost enough sleep to once again swear that you don't care what I think, when you could have said nothing if you actually didn't care.

Also, you really don't know what Apartheid is, do you?

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
Seems like a whole lot of pushback for a label that you're working really hard to make everyone believe you don't ascribe to. You clearly lost enough sleep to once again swear that you don't care what I think, when you could have said nothing if you actually didn't care.

Also, you really don't know what Apartheid is, do you?
To be fair if Dave says nothing he get "oh he has gone quiet" and if he responds he gets"why did you even reply"

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
To be fair if Dave says nothing he get "oh he has gone quiet" and if he responds he gets"why did you even reply"
Who said he went quiet? Certainly not me, unless you believe he's a conservative, which he says he isn't. Really, nothing I initially said should apply to him at all...

.....right?

ItsYaBoi

Noob
So, the thread has turned into conservatives conveniently dodging good points and a centrist, like chasing ‘holier than thou’ essay which effectively said jack shit - but all of the conservatives liked it in order to make it seem like they’ve been on the middle ground the entire time, despite constantly spouting conservative views and decrying the left at every turn.

So transparent. Y’all aren’t as slick as you think you are.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
If this was true then deplatforming guys like milo & Spencer wouldn’t have been effective. Y’all seem to operating under the idea that people buy into this bullshit because it sounds logical. Their arguments get ridiculed & the holes poked through all the time but it doesn’t matter as long as they get their messages out.
It is true.

Should I ignore centuries of human progress because you believe deplatforming this Milo guy was an effective victory towards some vague and non descript goal?

If the civil rights or abolitionist movement had cancelled people on YouTube, then maybe they would have been able to make progress!

Pangolin-man

My trusty sidekick is not amused!
As I have said before, I am not going to post another lengthy screed. However, this is a pretty good take on the major themes of this thread and all of the nonsense that keeps coming from certain people posting on here. You know who they are. Enjoy!

Last edited:

NaCl man

Welcome to Akihabara
As I have said before, I am not going to post another lengthy screed. However, this is a pretty good take on the major themes of this thread and all of the nonsense that keeps coming from certain people posting on here. You know who they are. Enjoy!

This was really informative. It explained alot of things I didn't understand about systemic racism.
Thanks

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Now I really watched this video... Cost me an hour of my life, but I watched it... The "Mario Kart Analogy" was not fun at the slightest...

Correct me, but: This guy doesn't even seem to deny that systemic racism is mostly about wealth distribution (and hardly about prejudice). It is just that white people happen to have accumulated more wealth because of history. Ultimately it is this advantage that continues to have an effect (with a few hundred years of interest). - This seems to be "sytemic racism" in a nutshell.

The only "solution" he actually suggests seems to be reparations.

We had this idea in this very thread: But I'd like to understand it better! - How should reparations be done?
  • Should immigrants from Africa, who came to the U.S. during the last 10 years, receive reparations?
  • Should black people, whose families immigrated to the US voluntarily (and not as slaves), ever receive reparations?
  • Should rich black NBA-players receive reparations, if their ancestors were slaves?
  • Should convicted criminals receive reparations?
  • Which state body should decide on the handling of compensation payments?
... or just tell me: What factors do you have in mind to qualify for reparations?

Wrenchfarm

Lexcorp Proprietary Technologies
Let's say we had a marathon, but you were forced to wear ankle chains attached to cider blocks. Halfway through the marathon, me miles ahead, you huffing and puffing and bleeding, the spectators and officiants finally admit what is plain to see for everyone - making you wear those blocks is wrong and the only reason I'm so ahead is because it was never a fair game to begin with.

So we take off the ankle chains and what? Just have the rest of the marathon? You don't think maybe you deserve a bit of catch up? Would it be "as disgusting as the cheating itself" to try and repair what was obviously an unfair contest?

Now, replace marathon with history, and miles into the marathon as accrued hereditary wealth and privilege.

Your take is fucking disgusting.

sub_on_dubs

Online Scrub Lord
I voted republican all the way down yesterday guys. I hope you all go out and vote for whichever candidate you think will lead this country in the right direction (Trump) and will get this country back on its feet after the devastating coronavirus pandemic.

Many people of color are waking up to the fact that the democratic party has done nothing for the black community and takes their vote for granted every year, but with people like 50 cent voting for Trump, their eyes are finally being opened to the lies the democratic party has been spewing for decades. Be safe yall!!!

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
Let's say we had a marathon, but you were forced to wear ankle chains attached to cider blocks. Halfway through the marathon, me miles ahead, you huffing and puffing and bleeding, the spectators and officiants finally admit what is plain to see for everyone - making you wear those blocks is wrong and the only reason I'm so ahead is because it was never a fair game to begin with.

So we take off the ankle chains and what? Just have the rest of the marathon? You don't think maybe you deserve a bit of catch up? Would it be "as disgusting as the cheating itself" to try and repair what was obviously an unfair contest?

Now, replace marathon with history, and miles into the marathon as accrued hereditary wealth and privilege.

Your take is fucking disgusting.
Just say you wanna profit from slavery and go. My ancestors were slaves. Do you see me crying about wanting “reparations”? No. Me getting some money isn’t changing the past, it isn’t making my ancestors suffering less. I don’t suffer from the slavery my ancestors went through, so why should I get the “catchup”? You never entered the race but want a catch-up because your teammate was handicapped throughout the race 200 years ago. That seems pretty greedy to me. But I’m the disgusting one. LOL PLEASE!

Last edited:

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
Now I really watched this video... Cost me an hour of my life, but I watched it... The "Mario Kart Analogy" was not fun at the slightest...

Correct me, but: This guy doesn't even seem to deny that systemic racism is mostly about wealth distribution (and hardly about prejudice). It is just that white people happen to have accumulated more wealth because of history. Ultimately it is this advantage that continues to have an effect (with a few hundred years of interest). - This seems to be "sytemic racism" in a nutshell.

The only "solution" he actually suggests seems to be reparations.

We had this idea in this very thread: But I'd like to understand it better! - How should reparations be done?
  • Should immigrants from Africa, who came to the U.S. during the last 10 years, receive reparations?
  • Should black people, whose families immigrated to the US voluntarily (and not as slaves), ever receive reparations?
  • Should rich black NBA-players receive reparations, if their ancestors were slaves?
  • Should convicted criminals receive reparations?
  • Which state body should decide on the handling of compensation payments?
... or just tell me: What factors do you have in mind to qualify for reparations?
I've always found the idea of reparations an incredibly silly idea. It's the exact definition of "we don't know what to do about this problem so...let's just throw money at it, and hope for the best."

I'd say the first problem is that many of those living in poverty are also uneducated, inexperienced, and typically undisciplined. They are also often afflicted by a variety of addictions. Giving these people money won't solve any problems, but will instead actually benefit those who are already wealthy and in power. Those who are impoverished typically have no experience with or interest in things like long-term investments such as stocks, gold/silver, etc. Any money received by people like this will not only be spent and gone in no time, but will instead be funneled into the pockets of the already wealthy. A better solution instead throwing money at people, would be to provide better, more high quality and accessible education which promotes lucrative career paths and healthy money management. Of course that's just the beginning, but it's much better than just handing out money. Teach a man to fish and all that.

Secondly, who gets what and how much is another question altogether. As already stated, not every African American has suffered equally or comes from a place of poverty and disenfranchisement which brings up more problems. You've already asked some good questions in this category, so I'll stop here.

Lastly, I don't think many people think about how much this is going to worsen race relations if something like this were to happen. I'd imagine Native Americans will feel incredibly neglected to see African Americans receive monetary compensation for being abused while they get nothing And sure, you could always argue that African Americans were treated worse for longer or something, but then all you're doing is turning this into a "who was victimized more" party. I'm sure Chinese would argue that they were worked like slaves on the railroads and treated as subhuman. The Japanese were literally taken from their homes, forced to shutdown their businesses, and locked in internment camps for the sole crime of being of Japanese ancestry then let out and expected to survive years later. And Mexicans are STILL incredibly abused in the US by big corporations who force them to work as slaves for pitiful compensation under the constant threat of violence and deportation. And there's many more. I can see all these peoples being incredibly upset with their history of abuse being ignored while African Americans are the only ones compensated. These people along with every other citizen who follows the law, works hard, and does their best to maybe barely scrape by, but is still crushed under the heels of the wealthy elite will likely become increasingly hostile to the African Americans who will be (ironically) privileged enough to receive special compensation.

Anyway, that's just off the top of my head. It's a goofy concept not even worth considering. Like offering a cough drop to a person with a cold, it'll mask the symptoms for a while, but won't cure anything.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
It is pretty depressing how overlooked Native Americans are, you can tell who has or hasn't spent time on one of the worse reservations. Especially with COVID, the Navajo Reservation is a third world country in the middle of New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah. Bigger than some states, lots of people, completely forgotten about.

KingHippo

Alternative-Fact Checker
That’s like Jews trying to profit from the Holocaust
Germany paid out reparations for the Holocaust (EDIT: Personal attack deleted)

S+ Main

Noob
If reparations where to happen in America, would the money go straight to the peoples bank account, where would the money come from and how do you come to how much people should get?

ItsYaBoi

Noob
@ItsYaBoi : Would you answer my questions? - I am really interested in your views, because (iirc) you we're advocating reparations as a solution?!
We’ve gone over this already ITT. Other people proposed extremely viable solutions. Just because you don’t like their suggestions (which you didn’t at the time iirc) you can’t then shrug them off and pretend that they’re not answering your questions.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
I am not acting in bad faith! - If the criteria have already been mentioned and you have them (apparently) mentally present, then I would be grateful for a short list: What factors do you have in mind to qualify for reparations?

Also you act as if it was self-explanatory which solutions you agree with. In this thread there are countless opinions from different people. How should I know which ones you refer to? - Your arguments are really much less plausible for political dissidents than you seem to think...

My personal impression is that you are doing exactly what you accuse @M2Dave (and some others) of: You avoid a discussion, because you know very well that reparations can only work in theory. However, I admit that this accusation is presumptuous and emphasize that this is my subjective impression.

ItsYaBoi

Noob
I am not acting in bad faith! - If the criteria have already been mentioned and you have them (apparently) mentally present, then I would be grateful for a short list: What factors do you have in mind to qualify for reparations?

Also you act as if it was self-explanatory which solutions you agree with. In this thread there are countless opinions from different people. How should I know which ones you refer to? - Your arguments are really much less plausible for political dissidents than you seem to think...

My personal impression is that you are doing exactly what you accuse @M2Dave (and some others) of: You avoid a discussion, because you know very well that reparations can only work in theory. However, I admit that this accusation is presumptuous and emphasize that this is my subjective impression.
I don't have all of the criteria mentally present. Reparations are a complex issue, and one that needs a good amount of explanation for various reasons. I'll fetch the post out later (there is a lot to sift through...), but I'm pretty sure that somebody - who can make their points better than me - made a fairly lengthy post in favour of reparations that I agreed wholeheartedly with.

I don't think that they will ever happen by the way, so this is all purely hypothetical, but there's definitely some potential ways of going about it if one was willing (one that I can think of immediately is a redistribution of funds into extremely poor, black areas). Hyperbolic posts comparing it to actual slavery are laughable, and show the extremely low level of intelligent debate that some people ITT can muster.

And btw, just to clarify, I support reparations for Native Americans too. What America has done to them is abhorrent.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Stop with the personal attacks and inflammatory posts. This applies to everyone. Posts will be deleted and infractions will be handed out. If y’all can’t handle this, the thread will be locked.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
Stop with the personal attacks and inflammatory posts. This applies to everyone. Posts will be deleted and infractions will be handed out. If y’all can’t handle this, the thread will be locked.
I actually would like it if the thread was locked.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I saw this video today and thought of TYM (apologies if it's been posted already... I don't really follow this thread closely).
It's loosely framed around talking to MAGA supporters, but it's pretty even-keeled and shows a nice model for talking to folks with hyper-partisan beliefs from all corners of the political spectrum.

Political conversations by their nature tend to get nasty and contentious, that's understandable. But the video is a nice description of how all the usual attacking and baiting (even when backed up by data) has pretty much no hope of actually changing someone's mind, and just drags the whole conversation down. I'm not saying that 'civil discourse' and 'finding common values' is always possible, but it's a better model to aspire to than the standard "debate" that usually happens.