What's new

F Champ Receives Lifetime Ban, Racism in the FGC/USA, and Other Prevalent Social Discussions

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Kinda wanted to talk about Kanye a little bit. Its fun to meme him, but everyone talks about how mental illness should be treated seriously and the mentally ill should be treated with respect but nobody has any sympathy for Kanye. He obviously needs help and is clearly suffering, mental illness doesn't care if you're rich or successful. Not targeting anyone here in this thread, was just in my car listening to music and Graduation is still one of those albums with multiple songs in my weekly rotation.
Internet culture and general culture regardless of political persuasion has a rather bad habit of trying to make a joke out of EVERYTHING. Memes about the Holocaust, Slavery, Rape, School shootings etc nothing is off limits to these people.

Obviously mental health isn't a joke, but as his wife hinted at and indicated quite succinctly, nobody can compel him to get help. Sometimes humor is the refuge of the hopeless, sometimes people laugh to keep from crying. Nobody can fix his situation but himself.

Kanye hasn't been right mentally for years. His mom dying set off the wrong mental/biochemical reactions that triggered him in ways that are beyond horrid. Parental loss is a nightmare, I couldn't imagine going through that especially if your parent is on a high place in your heart and soul. This goes beyond his political stances and speaks to crazy comments like "slavery was a choice". As sanitized and politically correct as social studies is in the United States, I don't know of any states that teach it was a choice or didn't happen in this country (if there are examples PLEASE DON'T TELL ME lol).

I mean to be totally clear, this country rarely ever takes mental health seriously until someone is dead either via suicide or murder then people talk about it for a while then go back to mocking and degrading people who go through depression, anxiety, PTSD etc. When you go through normal daily life in this country, people only know each other at a shallow surface level and nobody truly talks about their feelings. I always make it a habit to speak my mind because I want people to feel the same. It's terrifying going through life with so many surface level things and people not caring about what battles others are fighting that aren't immediately visible.

Poverty, domestic violence, familial deaths, loss of job, chronic illnesses, rape, bullying, attempts to be recruited in gangs. So many people struggle and don't discuss it so they just hide in their pain often times alone.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I truly believe it was as a result of his mom dying, that’s when his mental health started deteriorating
That's most likely the issue. People latch on to new ideals or groups when they are grieving. It gives them a sense of purpose and makes them forget the sadness. And plus, conspiracy theorists are like all over YT so it's easy to get sucked in especially in a really vulnerable emotional state.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Also a huge fan of Kanye's old works. Honestly, I don't think he's suffering from any illnesses (well, to be fair, that's probably for a qualified psychiatrist to diagnose). I think he's just a smart guy staying relevant in the media and adding to his fortune in the process. He is managing to be relevant even without his music.

Kanye was never as wealthy until he start acting nuts, dating Kim, causing political stirs, and working in fashion. I don't recall him ever achieving this level of success when he was an old school backpack rapper.

My thinking is he just realized he had to do other stuff to stay relevant given how music sales have declined over the years.
Never heard of her.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I need get a couple of hot takes off my chest.

1. The NBA has become unwatchable.

2. Conservatives trying to portray Kamala Harris as some kind of far left radical are pathetic.
The fact that the Biden/Harris ticket is being labeled as the radical far left ticket given their records on crime and other fields is hilarious. The worst part is people are actually buying that Kamala is an actual radical left politician. There is no hope. What happened with the NBA?

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME

2. Conservatives trying to portray Kamala Harris as some kind of far left radical are pathetic.
Agreed and agreed, with the exception of Damian Lillard.

Choosing Kamala as his Vice is easily the smartest move the Biden campaign has made since it began. She has none of the wildly progressive or liberal tenets the right is used to picking apart and weaponizing, a hawkish prosecutorial record, and a take no shit attitude that I'm certain will be embarrassingly difficult for Trump or Pence to deal with in any capacity.
$24 million in campaign money raised in the first day after their announcement isn't a bad look, either.

I cannot hope strongly enough that this election still goes right, so I soak up all the salt when Team Orange Antichrist gets their asses handed to them by virtue of a black woman. Because if it does, and the polls, the fundraising, the enormous disparity between where both sides of the ticket currently stand, and all the dysfunction over the pandemic and how horribly the Trump Administration has screwed it up are any indication, this could be the biggest electoral beating since Reagan wiped the floor with Mondale.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium

Anyone portraying basically anyone part of the US Democratic party as anything other than AuthRight is ignorant as hell. The Right vs. Left battle in the US is much more accurately described as the Very Right vs. the Slightly Less Right.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
What happened with the NBA?
why is the NBA unwatchable?
Because of the fusion between sports and politics.

Anyone portraying basically anyone part of the US Democratic party as anything other than AuthRight is ignorant as hell. The Right vs. Left battle in the US is much more accurately described as the Very Right vs. the Slightly Less Right.
I would not describe politicians like Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and Ilhan Omar as "slightly less right".

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Can you elaborate? What part of it is political
The league's incessant support and virtue signaling for Black Lives Matter, not the slogan yet the movement, which describes itself as political and ideological, and the commentators' monotonous praise for the players' courage for speaking up in a league that consists of 75% of African-Americans who earn millions of dollars dribbling and shooting a basketball and who have accumulated more wealth and power than the vast majority of white people. I would like to know how this notion appears anything but comical to an observer.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
If we're going to talk about stuff that has not much to do with the thread topic, we should probably start another thread.

The league's incessant support and virtue signaling for Black Lives Matter, not the slogan yet the movement, which describes itself as political and ideological, and the commentators' monotonous praise for the players' courage for speaking up in a league that consists of 75% of African-Americans who earn millions of dollars dribbling and shooting a basketball and who have accumulated more wealth and power than the vast majority of white people. I would like to know how this notion is anything but comical to an observer.
75% African-Americans who are 'owned' by 95% caucasians. Plus 100% caucasian commissioners, from 1946 when the NBA started till now. It's a pretty insane disparity.

The richest people in the NBA are the owners, not the players.

Plus, the players are speaking up in life, not basketball. They speak up for justice outside the court, just like anyone else.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
If we're going to talk about stuff that has not much to do with the thread topic, we should probably start another thread.
The title of this thread: F Champ receives lifetime ban, racism in the FGC/USA, and other prevalent social discussions.

NBA's mission: To fight for racial and social justice in the U.S.

Please explain how this topic has "not much to do with the thread".

75% African-Americans who are 'owned' by 95% caucasians. Plus 100% caucasian commissioners in NBA history. It's a pretty insane disparity.
"Owned?" What are you implying?

I find the NBA unwatchable because I don't have cable or an NBA TV subscription.
Consider yourself fortunate.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I mean that’s literally what I suggested like 30 pages ago. Glad you finally agree though, lol
Confused.. You're always free to start another thread -- no one's stopping you.

You suggested renaming this one to something else irc.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The title of this thread: F Champ receives lifetime ban, racism in the FGC/USA, and other prevalent social discussions.

NBA's mission: To fight for racial and social justice in the U.S.

Please explain how this topic has "not much to do with the thread".
I think he was referring to the Kamala Harris stuff.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Confused.. You're always free to start another thread -- no one's stopping you.

You suggested renaming this one to something else irc.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
So saying that it was good to keep this thread from becoming purely political means you weren't able to start another thread for politics, if you wanted to?

I still don't understand your talking point here. The goal was (and is) to keep this thread from becoming something it's not -- because once it goes there, it won't come back.

You're always free to create another thread though if there's something else you want to discuss.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
So saying that it was good to keep this thread from becoming purely political means you weren't able to start another thread for politics, if you wanted to?

I still don't understand your talking point here. The goal was (and is) to keep this thread from becoming something it's not -- because once it goes there, it won't come back.

You're always free to create another thread though if there's something else you want to discuss.
I suggested we make another thread. Because a lot of the discussions have had nothing to do with the original topic or OP. And for the more political discussions that again were completely off topic.

You at the time did not agree and were adamantly against a new thread being made. Along with several others. So I took that as something people weren’t interested in.

It appeared to me that you now agree that a new thread should be made for seemingly the same reasons I did. If I assumed wrong, my bad.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I find the NBA unwatchable because I don't have cable or an NBA TV subscription.
I find it unwatchable because it gives me terrible anxiety wondering when the bubble is eventually going to pop. But this also is a valid reason.

Not being able to watch it because arguably the most popular sport among African-Americans in the world is using their platform to make sure that the message of racial equality continues to be broadcast in arguably the most important election year in the history of the country...yeah, that's a little bit bullshit.

The league's incessant support and virtue signaling for Black Lives Matter, not the slogan yet the movement, which describes itself as political and ideological, and the commentators' monotonous praise for the players' courage for speaking up in a league that consists of 75% of African-Americans who earn millions of dollars dribbling and shooting a basketball and who have accumulated more wealth and power than the vast majority of white people. I would like to know how this notion appears anything but comical to an observer.
But you understand in a nutshell you are essentially saying you don’t support the free speech of the NBA right? Think about it, none of the players were forced to have sayings or thoughts on their jersey’s, none of the players are forced to kneel, hell jonathon Isaac didn’t kneel and lots of people in the NBA praised him. Compared to say Colin kaepernick who kneeled and was blackballed which you were against. So I’m kinda confused exactly how free speech, the very thing you kept chirping about, is why the NBA is unwatchable.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I think it's fine that when these athletes are one of the biggest stages they use the opportunity to promote support for social justice. I don't really find anything hypocritical or in-sincere about what they're doing.
100% hypocrisy and virtue signaling.

The NBA in a nutshell: Let us complain about how much America sucks racially and socially while we ignore (and even prohibit the criticism of) tremendous human rights violations in China because of invested financial interest.

Also in this thread: Let us imply that NBA owners are slave holders, which is preposterous.

But you understand in a nutshell you are essentially saying you don’t support the free speech of the NBA right? Think about it, none of the players were forced to have sayings or thoughts on their jersey’s, none of the players are forced to kneel, hell jonathon Isaac didn’t kneel and lots of people in the NBA praised him. Compared to say Colin kaepernick who kneeled and was blackballed which you were against. So I’m kinda confused exactly how free speech, the very thing you kept chirping about, is why the NBA is unwatchable.
The NBA has the right to do whatever it wants to do, but as a fan and customer I reserve the right to criticize its hypocrisy and virtue signaling, or even not to watch at all.

Last edited: