What's new

Strategy Extended Hawkgirl Guide - "Time to bring the hammer down!"- Thanagarian Intelligence Vault

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Beautifully done, @Espio ! I'm still desperately labbing Harley-Hawkgirl to find any sort of light at the end of the tunnel. Lately i've been experimenting with saving all of my meter to use exclusively on bounce cancels. One of the big problems in this MU is that Harley has atrocious anti-air combo damage, so even in the rare case where Hawkgirl gets punished, it's not really enough to act as a deterrent. Bounce cancel punishes might help this problem a bit.

The other problem with Hawkgirl being airborne the majority of the match is that full screen trades usually result in me taking standing damage (granting HG tons of advantage) while giving you a knockdown, negating the +26 advantage of gunshot and granting you invincible frames to get in on me. Major bummer :(.

There's a sweet spot (about 3/4 screen I think) where Harley is the most effective vs. HG, but HG's mobility makes it difficult to maintain that spacing. This is the spot where Harley's b3 can actually hit HG out of the air and where mace charges can be reliably jump punished. Getting too close to HG is also a bad idea since her normals are faster and have better range than Harley's.

If anyone has any ideas on ways to improve this matchup, I'd love to hear them!

KC H0oKsw0rds

iK A B A L
Couple things I'm not clear on.
First you say that you can punish many d1 specials with evade2/3 ie CWs d1 claws. But claws is safe so do you mean interrupt d1 claws with a well timed evade?
Also you suggest st3 to stuff a lot of wakeups but what kind of hard knock downs does HG have to allow you the time enough to get close and attempt a stuffed WU? Can't I just tech roll everything HG does; why do I have to wake up at all?

Espio

Kokomo
Couple things I'm not clear on.
First you say that you can punish many d1 specials with evade2/3 ie CWs d1 claws. But claws is safe so do you mean interrupt d1 claws with a well timed evade?
Also you suggest st3 to stuff a lot of wakeups but what kind of hard knock downs does HG have to allow you the time enough to get close and attempt a stuffed WU? Can't I just tech roll everything HG does; why do I have to wake up at all?
There is a gap in down 1, cat claws. Yes standing 3 does stuff multiple wake ups as it has hella active frames.

You're basically talking about reads and nothing more so there's not much to say. You can also back dash or MB back 3 on your wake up, it's all reads and theory so it doesn't negate the options or reality that exists.

You technically never have to wake up, but then people can just jump in for free with cross ups or other mix ups anyway. Nobody said you are required to wake up. The point is options exist to blow up wake ups, that's all. It's not like if you tech roll there's nothing that can be done about it either, but it's all reads
on knockdown no matter what anyway.

Other characters don't have to always do a hard knockdown to perform oki on someone either. Sweep and back 1, 3 (used to end combos are hard knockdowns) for example, but it's not a requirement to do a hard knockdown.