What's new

Explanation of Option Selects in MKX by UltraDavid

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Does the EX version come out? Either way that doesn't seem too bad to me. If it's the normal version then they will probably just get hit. If it's the EX version then you shouldn't be using strings with gaps in it like that.
No.

Also saying you shouldnt use any pressure with gaps in it is laughable. Everybody's pressure in this game has holes. Like maybe 3 or 4 characters in the game could honestly play without holes. It just isnt feasible.

Also this doesnt really affect characters with gaps that much, its more characters with specials that can delay or change the timing(Venom dvorah spray for example)

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
No.

Also saying you shouldnt use any pressure with gaps in it is laughable. Everybody's pressure in this game has holes. Like maybe 3 or 4 characters in the game could honestly play without holes. It just isnt feasible.

Also this doesnt really affect characters with gaps that much, its more characters with specials that can delay or change the timing(Venom dvorah spray for example)
I didn't mean never use strings with gaps. But don't be predictable with them or only rely on them is what i meant.

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I was waiting for a dumb post like this . It's a discussion. Deal with it
What's the point? It's not like Paulo is going to listen to it. He's a big boy and he can decide for himself if they should stay or not. The energy you're spending in this thread could be better put towards learning them and being on the same playing field as everyone else.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
What's the point? It's not like Paulo is going to listen to it. He's a big boy and he can decide for himself if they should stay or not. The energy you're spending in this thread could be better put towards learning them and being on the same playing field as everyone else.
I don't think anyone said they're refusing to learn them on principal. I think the point is that it's stupid and shouldn't be in the game. Doesn't mean I won't learn them.

RM_NINfan101

Nine Inch Nails fan from Metro Detroit, Michigan
I don't think anyone said they're refusing to learn them on principal. I think the point is that it's stupid and shouldn't be in the game. Doesn't mean I won't learn them.
It's totally fair game to discuss these things, yeah. I mean in a game where pressure like this is obscene and in chunks, to be able to get your armored move to come out to punish the gap is pretty legit even for a OS, as the user doesn't gain much off of it and like most OSes, can be beaten with a proper read.

Both things you guys are talking about are dumb. The reversal thing promotes mashing. I think it's scrubby to take away risk as a defender. You shouldn't have to stop attacking after you've already established offensive momentum to bait reversals. It's a big part of whats wrong with sf4

The OS specials on block or hit thing skews risk reward for a lot of characters. If you make a read on an unsafe attack you should get your punish.

qspec

Noob
There's no point in looking for a "why". To the best of my knowledge most OS are bugs and are never baked into the game intentionally.

Some are functions of mechanics and so are difficult to remove (high/low block OS). Others are embraced as a feature (GG throw OS), and some are so pervasive that you wonder how they weren't killed with fire during testing (MKX on-hit/on-block OS).

If i had to guess the on hit OS is there because of the way the game kills buffered inputs if you're mashing. For whatever reason it kills them at different points depending on if the attack you're cancelling out of hit or got blocked.

I think they overlooked specials when they took out the ability to mash normals while blocking. That one seems like it'd be easier to get rid of

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Wait...if you mash a special on block it comes out? Thats dumb and i will abuse it.

Does it come out as EX? Or normal