What's new

Expanding Nightwolf For S2

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
This isn't the same as a buff/nerf idea thread or anything.

MK11 is too shallow for me in a lot of respects, and some of it simply boils down to the incomplete feeling of most characters variations. This is what I SORT OF hope will happen for Nightwolf in S2 after Pro Komp finals and I wouldn't be surprised if what I list here ends up happening.

Ancestral Gift:

1: Gets Spirit Of Komo. It's guaranteed after the command grab amplified, makes perfect sense to me.

2: Gets Moonfall. This also makes insane amounts of sense. It forces a true 50/50 in all of NW's tick throw gaps where the opponent is launched for ducking/jumping the command throw and it requires setup. The synergy here if anyone has ever labbed this is pretty obvious. He sets this up safely off any hit confirm into shoulder.

Shaman:

1: Gets Spirit Of Hana. I think what this should or would do is he gets Ancestral Light as long as it's active.

2: Gets Lunar Orbit. It combos into both spirit tracks and lightning arrow on hit.

3: Gets Hana's Wrath, change command to BF2. This would make Lunar Orbit axes track the opponent as long as it's active.

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
No responses and no activity since January? haha. The game definitely needs a serious shakeup, for a lot of reasons.

What's the consensus in 2020 regarding his strongest variation? It's weird but I feel like I'm getting a lot more done with Shaman than MW because it's just so hard to open people up with NW these days. I feel like I need to revisit Ancestral too as I don't think I've given that one enough love.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
No responses and no activity since January? haha. The game definitely needs a serious shakeup, for a lot of reasons.

What's the consensus in 2020 regarding his strongest variation? It's weird but I feel like I'm getting a lot more done with Shaman than MW because it's just so hard to open people up with NW these days. I feel like I need to revisit Ancestral too as I don't think I've given that one enough love.

Think it more OP makes x200 buff/changes threads :rolleyes:

My take from playing NW the past month:

V1-
Spirit of Kiba is never used. It has armor on amp startup which could potentially be used to bait wake up attacks, but aside from that the buff does not last long enough if you want to do it safely.
Suggestions:
-Either buff needs to last longer, or if the variations have their movesets tweaked I think it should be removed from v1 altogether in favor of something like Hana's wrath.

V2-
I have the most familiarity here. Damage output is the hardest thing about V2. He gets additional KBs to make up for it, but the CMD grab KB I've landed a grand total of 4 times in actual matches in 30 days. His other KBs require the opponent to be playing very unsafe as they're mostly all kounter/punish related. I played a FT20 set with a God ranked player last night and landed the 221+3 KB one time the entire 20 game set because he was so good about playing safely. This results in all damage coming from strike throw mixups making every game a slog.
Suggestions:
-Change CMD grab KB requirement so it is not punish or kounter related since he already has one that is better in dmg and easier to land. Either land 3-4 CMD grabs in a match, or at the end of a kombo that is 4 or more hits since it is used as a kombo ender often. Bumping the dmg up to 310 or so wouldn't hurt either (I think it's only 290 despite being crazy hard to land)
-Add another tick throw option. I'd like it to be on either b3 or b34 to force a mixup between b341+3 or b3 tick throw.
-His highest dmg non KB combo in this variation comes from the b2 launcher, and it is SO HARD to get b2 dash 31 f12 CMD grab that I just opt for b2 111 cmd grab. May be make the popup from 31 in juggles a little higher to make it more consistent.
-if movesets get rearranged swapping the TP for spirit of Kiba would be interesting if they also increase the length of the buff. If that happens then the only other change I'd still like to see would be changing the cmd grab KB requirement still.
EDIT UPDATE:
-If they decide to make anti-breakway moves across the cast like spawn then the KB for cmd grab could be catch someone in a breakaway with it

V3:
Least familiar with this but so far making bf4 amp combo with more strings like 112 or f12 would certainly help.

Universal changes:
-Reverting the limit on only one throw KB per set but only for one or two variations of each character that have two. Opening that back up for Nightwolf V2 and v3 would help his dmg a lot and would eliminate the need for some of the other changes I suggested
-shrink the gap on amp rhino charge so you can amp it later and not get poked out for the KB. It's already pretty hard to hit because just stand block beats it. If they shrink the gap then keep the dmg on it, if they leave the frames untouched then upping the dmg by 30 would help since it's high risk low reward in v2 and v3.

Last edited: