What's new

Excuse my noobinesss....

I'm picking up STV on launch. However I'm not 100% used to the play stay. I read footsies are input and you should be buffering specials while you do the footsie!

Does this mean I poke out to control my space and still input as if I'm cancelling into special, even though I haven't hit my opponent? Is it a case the special only comes out if the poke connects? Sure if the special comes out if the poke doesn't hit I'm always going to get punished?

Thanks

d3v

SRK
What it means is that, since the game puts more emphasis on single hit confirms, it's better to buffer the input for the special when you poke. This way, if you confirm the hit, you can just press the correct button and the move will come out.

Notez4

Noob
What it means is that, since the game puts more emphasis on single hit confirms, it's better to buffer the input for the special when you poke. This way, if you confirm the hit, you can just press the correct button and the move will come out.
Not really, You buffer the whole input. for example lets say im playing sakura in SF4. ill do crouching medium kick, buffer shoryuken, and if my opponent presses a button that edges him into my range then the cr.mk hits and the special comes out. on whiff the special will not come out. so yeah its the whoel input, not confirming off of one hit

d3v

SRK
Not really, You buffer the whole input. for example lets say im playing sakura in SF4. ill do crouching medium kick, buffer shoryuken, and if my opponent presses a button that edges him into my range then the cr.mk hits and the special comes out. on whiff the special will not come out. so yeah its the whoel input, not confirming off of one hit
The problem with this is that if you get blocked, the move comes out and you get punished which is important to note since things are a lot less safe in this game. It gets even worse when you're trying to hitconfirm a single normal into super.

What I was talking about with buffering the motion, but not the button press is something people have been doing in alot of older Street Fighter games. Heck, it's almost mandatory in 3rd Strike for characters like Ken (it's the only practical way for him to get low forward xx SA3).

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
The problem with this is that if you get blocked, the move comes out and you get punished which is important to note since things are a lot less safe in this game. It gets even worse when you're trying to hitconfirm a single normal into super.

What I was talking about with buffering the motion, but not the button press is something people have been doing in alot of older Street Fighter games. Heck, it's almost mandatory in 3rd Strike for characters like Ken (it's the only practical way for him to get low forward xx SA3).
Yep, 3S players will feel right at home

Reactions: d3v
Thanks everying. Working hard on hit confirming at the minute, and trying to understand frame traps and meaties with ryu. My biggest learning issue is the up close game I think...... The stf 5 prima guide helps, but hard when no one to practice with consistently