What's new

Examining Hometown Heroes

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
DISCLAIMER: This is not intended to be a guide of any sort and I definitely don't intend to write anything as in-depth or experienced as @EMPEROR_KNICKS is working on, this is simply an exercise I did in order to examine the difference between my play and that of a high-level competitor.

I have re-watched the Hometown Heroes top 8 a few times now and I took notes regarding some "tech" I don't implement into my own game in the hopes of learning and getting better as a Darkseid player. The format will be a list, with some stream of conscience ideas for uses and reasoning as to why I listed them. So, on with the show...

This was one of the first things I noticed Knicks doing a LOT more than myself. It is an incredibly useful tool as a check, in a scramble, or to enforce some plus frames after a smart teleport, or other plus frames.

If you connect with this you get a free trait and are back at the fun range where Darkseid gets to be a dick and fill the screen with omega beams. If your opponent blocks, you're +2, really a win-win. After hitting a few of these the non MB version can even be considered "safe" as your opponent will hesitate to try and punish assuming the bar will be spent.

I don't thing there was a single point in neutral in which Knicks was not d1 whiffing to (I assume) buffer omega beams. This greatly reduces the reaction time to hitting a jump in, or dash up and forces your opponent to respect your beam timing without putting yourself at risk to MB rolls.

This, to me always seamed like a bad idea until I realized you can MB on reaction to your opponent's OKI choice. You're reading the jump in, but you can MB to catch someone pressing buttons on your wakeup.

Pretty straight forward, teleport on OKI to reverse inputs. If timed right you can also get out of the way of wakeup attacks. I also feel like this keeps your opponent on his/her heels, which is essential to Darkseid's game.

This one is simple really. GRAB MORE. So many times I have set up a trait mix and gotten blocked, punished and thought "Well shit, the mix didn't work." I tend to get into a pattern of OH, Low repeat. Throwing in the grab is an awesome way to break the patterns and once again puts your opponent on their back foot, AND whichever side you want them on. This doesn't have to be on trait setups either, a well timed teleport into grab is a great way to bury someone in the corner.

One of Darkseid's biggest issues is he is extremely punishable. Well, that is not so true when trait is on the field. It allows you to go for a mix (up close) and be plus after or simply use a normal that is regularly minus or punishable, but is now plus. There were more that a few instances where Knicks caught his opponent trying to punish, and ate a demon and follow-up for their troubles.

This one isn't tied to the performance at HTH, but more of a realization of my own. This string offers the most plus frames Darkseid has, and also jails off j2. So you make a smart teleport, but your opponent is blocking the j2xxstomp? Don't want to put yourself out there with a raw stomp mix? j2 112. It does have a gap immediately after the 1, but if your opponent starts back dashing that you still have options.

This one I noticed wasnt great in all MU, but seemed useful for more mobile characters. Knicks would nj at a range specifically outside the long normals range and just see what the response was. Opponent dash in? you can teleport out, or throw out an air normal, or even air OB depending on range. This seems like an extremely useful tool to catch over zealous offensive players who like to get in fast and be in your face.

Pretty self explanatory, when you can perform all your specials following a whiffed j2, why dont you throw one out on jumps? Cover your options in the air by contesting jump ins while maintaining the ability to apply zoning and mobility.

This only came into effect a few times during the day, but delivered quite the punch. When conversions can do upwards of 400 meterless damage and/or give a free trait, this is a powerful tool. Also this works well with trait being out as a great meterless mix that ends up being plus.

Gotta do it, I still have trouble getting it consistently under pressure, but it is essential to Darkseid's zoning tools. Much safer than standing OB changes cadence with basic zoning, making it much much harder to get in against you.

Kind of a clear one, if trait is ready, it should be on the field ASAP. Aside from kill scenarios, always get a trait setup if you can. I discussed one of the reasons why above, but if you don't know why you may need to switch characters.

Essential bit here. Knowing when to teleport is crucial. If I play an online Darkseid and he raw air teleports on me, I am going to punish him 9/10 times. This extends beyond the base level though you gotta know when you can get away with it and read your opponent. Be smart and safe and don't yolo it because if you do a good player will put you down. It may look random at times, but there needs to be thought behind your teleports.

Okay that's it. I hope this helps someone get better, but at least i know I've learned something from it all. Let me know what you think I hope I am not wrong here, but I know someone may have shit to add or subtract.

Thanks for putting all this together, Slavaslave. Good analysis.

I noticed the d1 whiffing a while ago and assumed the reason Knicks was doing it was to get people to react to movement. When trying to get in against Darkseid's zoning, most people will walk forward, duck when they see Darkseid start moving (because they assume it's Omega Beam), then walk forward again. If you whiff a d1, a lot of people will duck for a moment then walk forward, which lets you hit them with an Omega Beam.

I started doing this in my own matches after I saw Knicks do it, and it seems to work pretty consistently exactly once per set. After I've shown it once, though, it seems like most people will confirm that Darkseid is actually doing an Omega Beam before they move forward.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
DISCLAIMER: This is not intended to be a guide of any sort and I definitely don't intend to write anything as in-depth or experienced as @EMPEROR_KNICKS is working on, this is simply an exercise I did in order to examine the difference between my play and that of a high-level competitor.

I have re-watched the Hometown Heroes top 8 a few times now and I took notes regarding some "tech" I don't implement into my own game in the hopes of learning and getting better as a Darkseid player. The format will be a list, with some stream of conscience ideas for uses and reasoning as to why I listed them. So, on with the show...

This was one of the first things I noticed Knicks doing a LOT more than myself. It is an incredibly useful tool as a check, in a scramble, or to enforce some plus frames after a smart teleport, or other plus frames.

If you connect with this you get a free trait and are back at the fun range where Darkseid gets to be a dick and fill the screen with omega beams. If your opponent blocks, you're +2, really a win-win. After hitting a few of these the non MB version can even be considered "safe" as your opponent will hesitate to try and punish assuming the bar will be spent.

I don't thing there was a single point in neutral in which Knicks was not d1 whiffing to (I assume) buffer omega beams. This greatly reduces the reaction time to hitting a jump in, or dash up and forces your opponent to respect your beam timing without putting yourself at risk to MB rolls.

This, to me always seamed like a bad idea until I realized you can MB on reaction to your opponent's OKI choice. You're reading the jump in, but you can MB to catch someone pressing buttons on your wakeup.

Pretty straight forward, teleport on OKI to reverse inputs. If timed right you can also get out of the way of wakeup attacks. I also feel like this keeps your opponent on his/her heels, which is essential to Darkseid's game.

This one is simple really. GRAB MORE. So many times I have set up a trait mix and gotten blocked, punished and thought "Well shit, the mix didn't work." I tend to get into a pattern of OH, Low repeat. Throwing in the grab is an awesome way to break the patterns and once again puts your opponent on their back foot, AND whichever side you want them on. This doesn't have to be on trait setups either, a well timed teleport into grab is a great way to bury someone in the corner.

One of Darkseid's biggest issues is he is extremely punishable. Well, that is not so true when trait is on the field. It allows you to go for a mix (up close) and be plus after or simply use a normal that is regularly minus or punishable, but is now plus. There were more that a few instances where Knicks caught his opponent trying to punish, and ate a demon and follow-up for their troubles.

This one isn't tied to the performance at HTH, but more of a realization of my own. This string offers the most plus frames Darkseid has, and also jails off j2. So you make a smart teleport, but your opponent is blocking the j2xxstomp? Don't want to put yourself out there with a raw stomp mix? j2 112. It does have a gap immediately after the 1, but if your opponent starts back dashing that you still have options.

This one I noticed wasnt great in all MU, but seemed useful for more mobile characters. Knicks would nj at a range specifically outside the long normals range and just see what the response was. Opponent dash in? you can teleport out, or throw out an air normal, or even air OB depending on range. This seems like an extremely useful tool to catch over zealous offensive players who like to get in fast and be in your face.

Pretty self explanatory, when you can perform all your specials following a whiffed j2, why dont you throw one out on jumps? Cover your options in the air by contesting jump ins while maintaining the ability to apply zoning and mobility.

This only came into effect a few times during the day, but delivered quite the punch. When conversions can do upwards of 400 meterless damage and/or give a free trait, this is a powerful tool. Also this works well with trait being out as a great meterless mix that ends up being plus.

Gotta do it, I still have trouble getting it consistently under pressure, but it is essential to Darkseid's zoning tools. Much safer than standing OB changes cadence with basic zoning, making it much much harder to get in against you.

Kind of a clear one, if trait is ready, it should be on the field ASAP. Aside from kill scenarios, always get a trait setup if you can. I discussed one of the reasons why above, but if you don't know why you may need to switch characters.

Essential bit here. Knowing when to teleport is crucial. If I play an online Darkseid and he raw air teleports on me, I am going to punish him 9/10 times. This extends beyond the base level though you gotta know when you can get away with it and read your opponent. Be smart and safe and don't yolo it because if you do a good player will put you down. It may look random at times, but there needs to be thought behind your teleports.

Okay that's it. I hope this helps someone get better, but at least i know I've learned something from it all. Let me know what you think I hope I am not wrong here, but I know someone may have shit to add or subtract.
You're a quality TYM user

Thank you

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
Thanks for putting all this together, Slavaslave. Good analysis.

I noticed the d1 whiffing a while ago and assumed the reason Knicks was doing it was to get people to react to movement. When trying to get in against Darkseid's zoning, most people will walk forward, duck when they see Darkseid start moving (because they assume it's Omega Beam), then walk forward again. If you whiff a d1, a lot of people will duck for a moment then walk forward, which lets you hit them with an Omega Beam.

I started doing this in my own matches after I saw Knicks do it, and it seems to work pretty consistently exactly once per set. After I've shown it once, though, it seems like most people will confirm that Darkseid is actually doing an Omega Beam before they move forward.
Absolutely. I first noticed a deadshot friend doing this and it blew my old ivy main up. I think it's a two fold benefit.

You're a quality TYM user

Thank you
Speaking of ego, Pig of the Hut just complimented my post.... Thanks man.