What's new

Ex Glow to Counter/Avoid Jump-ins + Crossups

How do you guys feel about using EX Glow to punish a jump in/cross over?

Jade has limited Anti-Air capabilities for last second reactions. An anticipated jump results in her punishing it with a B2, shadow kick, maybe standing 1...

But there are moments where the enemy is too close/low for a B2 to connect, this is also the case with other characters such as Kitana. If it is too late to react to a jump in, one must block since the anti air would be stuffed out anyways.

But with Jade, correct me if I am wrong, but Ex Glow is a mere 2 second frame move, in which she can use to counter aerial attacking opponents.

Cross overs I find are one of the most annoying, random, OP things this game has.
As long as you are good at switching inputs due to the opponent jumping over you, you can ex glow and punish them.

I really want to ask the opinion from you all.
This is more of a defensive approach, seeing as I love to induce pressure with EX Glow, I also find it is an excellent tool to keep your opponents grounded.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

Jade has limited Anti-Air capabilities for last second reactions. An anticipated jump results in her punishing it with a B2, shadow kick, maybe standing 1...

But there are moments where the enemy is too close/low for a B2 to connect, this is also the case with other characters such as Kitana. If it is too late to react to a jump in, one must block since the anti air would be stuffed out anyways.

But with Jade, correct me if I am wrong, but Ex Glow is a mere 2 second frame move, in which she can use to counter aerial attacking opponents.

Cross overs I find are one of the most annoying, random, OP things this game has.
As long as you are good at switching inputs due to the opponent jumping over you, you can ex glow and punish them.

This is more of a defensive approach, seeing as I love to induce pressure with EX Glow, I also find it is an excellent tool to keep your opponents grounded.
not gonna lie....
I think you're better off trying to do the "kenshi" and backdash and do her u4.

I can however see this being super awesome in the corner... where she gets good damage regardless of AA or ground combo.

not gonna lie....
I think you're better off trying to do the "kenshi" and backdash and do her u4.

I can however see this being super awesome in the corner... where she gets good damage regardless of AA or ground combo.
U3 is good at a specific distance. But if you use it on opponents crossing over, it whiffs and you are left vulnerable coming down.

It's a good Anti Air, but it would be more viable if it still hit crouching opponents because even if the u3 did not catch them in the air, they would be forced to block.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
U3 is good at a specific distance. But if you use it on opponents crossing over, it whiffs and you are left vulnerable coming down.

It's a good Anti Air, but it would be more viable if it still hit crouching opponents because even if the u3 did not catch them in the air, they would be forced to block.
damn.... i even got the input wrong!!! I Just know what the moves look like.

I know when Chance tries to stop cross overs with it... he usually only gets an AA .... which isn't good damage for Jade.
Of course backing away and staff slamming is too slow.... and might get hit out of the air?? Man.... good luck finding that right thing.

How effective would forward dash and NJP be as anti-crossup tools for Jade?
Not very.
Every character can do that, and we all say that's the way to punish, but even then, you kind of have to expect it.
And when fighting vs Sonya, forward dash = hello dive kick.

zaf

professor
Ive also seen the ex glow used as a "parry" into combo. Sometimes off a cross up.

I like her standing reset with this for more mix up potential.

For me,Im just not great at inputting it in during crossovers.Sometimes I use ex glow for jump ins but it has to be well planned depending on how often they jump in on me but off instinct I go for a b2 and I too get that frustrating miss because they were too close sometimes.As far as her u3,I get very little success out of that move.I can only use it one or two times per match to throw them off guard but if I try to use it exclusively on as an anti-air,I get knocked out of it either going up or down.

Mr. Mileena can the opponent react to u using ex glow then block after their jump-in punch so you can't punish them? still sounds like a good way to reverse pressure
Grab them at the very least. Usually the glow comes out as they are about to land with a Jk or JP, but if they feel youll glow, you can get some chip and meter or grab them.

Espio

Kokomo
Getting down reverse inputs to blow up crossups is something that's definitely underutilized in my opinion. It's something I've been meaning to work on a ton, but haven't gotten to do so yet.

Good stuff Mil.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Hey dear Mr.Mil, i'm not a regular jade player but i can assure you this was my day 1 competitive defensive move when i got my interest into her. I'm pretty sure DarkSlayerSmith remember this.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Good to hear :) I used it sparingly, but like suddenly it occurred to me it might actually be very useful lol
It is indeed, besides ppl are always mashing buttons trough jump in punches which is perfect for a more damaging starter (thing i didn't knew back then).

I used to counter with B1 after the ex Glow, now using standing 3 or 2 should be the best idea.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I always use her ex-glow to absorb crossovers/jump ins. Who isn't already mashing out their next string before the jip connects so their block string comes out uninterruptable?

You can ex-glow into b1~staff slam for full combo.