What's new

EVO 2022 Discussion Thread

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Haven’t been able to catch most of the streams, but I started watching the winner semi’s of MK11. The Twins beat both SonicFox and Rewind in the winner semi’s, putting them both in the winner finals. Now they’re going through the losers bracket!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Han Rashid takes it over KillerXinok 3-2!

Next match: King Gambler vs A F0xy Grampa

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The adds are so bad we missing matches, straight garbage.
I’m assuming you’re referring to the twitch ads? You can subscribe to get rid of them, or you can use ad blocker. For some reason, the only twitch ads I’ve gotten were the pre-roll ads you get when you tune into a stream. Haven’t seen any midstream yet. Maybe I’m just lucky ¯\(ツ)

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I’m assuming you’re referring to the twitch ads? You can subscribe to get rid of them, or you can use ad blocker. For some reason, the only twitch ads I’ve gotten were the pre-roll ads you get when you tune into a stream. Haven’t seen any midstream yet. Maybe I’m just lucky ¯\(ツ)
I just stopped watching

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
WOW! What another game 5! F0xy with a huge upset over SonicFox in an absolutely incredible finish!

Your MK11 2022 EVO Final 4:

Winners:
-Nicolas vs ScorpionProcs

Losers:
-Rewind vs A F0xy Grampa

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
Been a good watch so far

They have had 5-8 ad runs here and there though I don't think I've noticed any running over live matches yet. Twitch ads have ramped up in length lately and as someone that has had Twitch streams running almost all day every day for the last several years, and spent an obseen amount on the platform, I've been walking away from Twitch more and more lately. I can't sub to everything, and in this case expecting people to sub to a channel for one weekend when the event is also running their own ads is unreasonable as an expectation. (there are too many people watching for them to not want to run some ads, though I'm not sure how that works when they are selling on stream ad spaces they are running over)

I'm willing to put up with some of it given it's EVO, and chances are one stream or another of interest will not be running them.

Last edited:

Immortal

Blind justice....
ADS from EVO only every like 2-3 games were VERY annoying. Im not really on the EVO hype train, yesterday stream was like down for 2 hours, audio was out of sync for quite a while etc... There are better tournaments for MK.

That being said, some matches were insanely hype (Twins vs Fox/Rewind etc..).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Been a good watch so far

They have had 5-8 ad runs here and there though I don't think I've noticed any running over live matches yet. Twitch ads have ramped up in length lately and as someone that has had Twitch streams running almost all day every day for the last several years, and spent an obseen amount on the platform, I've been walking away from Twitch more and more lately. I can't sub to everything, and in this case expecting people to sub to a channel for one weekend when the event is also running their own ads is unreasonable as an expectation.

I'm willing to put up with some of it given it's EVO, and chances are one stream or another of interest will not be running them.
No one is expecting anyone to do anything, least of all sub. I was simply stating the fact that there’s options to get around Twitch ads if they’re becoming an issue for you.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The amount of game 5’s in this MK11 EVO 2022 top 8 is ridiculous. There’s only been ONE match that hasn’t gone to game 5. Also, a lot of the game 5’s have come down to the last round as well. These players are playing out of their minds right now.

Rewind takes it over F0xy to advance to Loser’s Finals.

So it’s essentially Rewind vs the Twins. He has to beat them in 3 sets to win the tournament. Start the Guile comeback music!

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Awesome grand finals, definitely one of the best MK11 top 8’s in the games history. Congrats to Scorpionprocs for taking it and becoming the EVO 2022 MK11 Champion!

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
That was a good time.

Last few years I stopped really paying attention to fighting games because a million different reasons, but man if I didn't enjoy that.
I might have some(alot) of issues with MK11, but it's productions values are so good, and when it is good, it's damn good.

It also made me realize MK11 came out in 2019 and in NRS years, shits ancient.

Is Nightwolf a counter to Sub-Zero or something? I'm surprised FoxyGrandpa picked him against Gambler since Gambler should be very familiar with the character, and even more surprised that it worked.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
The mistake was made to not title the thread "MK EVO 2022 Discussion Thread" so I'm going to toss it out that GBVS top 8 was also pretty good

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
The mistake was made to not title the thread "MK EVO 2022 Discussion Thread" so I'm going to toss it out that GBVS top 8 was also pretty good
It wasn’t a mistake. This wasn’t just for MK, that’s just what was happening when I made the thread

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Top 8: Joker, Fujin, Kotal, Kabal, Spawn, Nightwolf, Sub-Zero, Kano, RoboCop, Shang, Kitana, Kung Lao, Liu Kang

FOXY GRANDPA CRIMINAL SCUM, king of hype reads, my man getting his god damn Fox Scalp. SonicFox the GOAT NRS player, the tyrant of MKX and so on, been rooting against this guy for almost a decade and it was nice to see Foxy get that great match win, even if he missed out top 3. Sonicfox is always good to watch but I wanted to see new blood and it's almost like Fox got bored on top of the hill

Speaking of which, the Chilean twins just coming out of nowhere(for me who didn't follow any fighter for months) was excellent, they showed all of the skills they needed and just had those young man reflexes. Nicolas just comes out swinging with the clean Fujin and ScorpionProcs ultimately won the day in a top 8 that felt like theirs to win. The Kabal conversions from Scorpion were unreal. Felt like he was that cheap computer AI who does max combos on every touch.

Rewind made a mistake by not going to character select to get a stage chance the first chance he got. Maybe he felt like it benefitted him but it really came back to bite him in the final round when ScorpionProcs pulled out the nasty airdash interactable tech for a full combo. But Rewind is an Evo champ and should be proud of his 2nd place.

I really enjoy this game. I don't love everything about it, but this was just a really fun top 8. Great play by everyone involved, great commentary from experienced vets and just hype fighting game sets. I thought I might check out of Evo after recent events but this was tight

Last edited: