What's new

EVO 2020 Redesigned

Comments

E
This is expected, but hard to take in. Unreal, y'know?

Also: the word of the thread is "DISCUSSION". Let's keep it at that. Thank you and proceed!

I guess they can still create some add revenue but its gonna be a rough ride logistically. Depending on how they dial back the scale\scope there is no feasible way to do all regions in any game.

If they do truly go through with an online tournament, I can see complaints for YEARS of invalidating match and tournament outcomes because of the connection. "Lol, X isn't the true winner. Only beat Y because of 120ms ping." The international connections in particular are likely to be a nightmare. I hope the tourney coordinators make things a little lower stakes to help better set the expectations of viewers.

Imagine if MK11 was @ EVO Online.

Lawd Hammercy lol
Considering all but 1 (IIRC) of the current lineup has delay netcode, MK11 would be by far the most stable contender at an online EVO in the current FGC environment.

They should honestly just 100% call off the smash ultimate part of the tourney if it's online. Nintendo gives no fucks about having a good online platform for their consoles so watching pros struggle just to manage playing in smash would be a huge waste of time.

If they do truly go through with an online tournament, I can see complaints for YEARS of invalidating match and tournament outcomes because of the connection. "Lol, X isn't the true winner. Only beat Y because of 120ms ping." The international connections in particular are likely to be a nightmare. I hope the tourney coordinators make things a little lower stakes to help better set the expectations of viewers.
Imagine if a COVID-induced online EVO was what pushed the innovation of super-netcode which allows for great connectivity on an international level (assuming both people are hard-wired). As the great avatar Aang once said: it is when we are at our lowest, that we are open to the greatest change

the irony. sucks though but there's a virus out there. while mk11 might have really good online; it's plagued by bad online mechanics e.g. no wifi filters, false pings, and being forced to play through horribly laggy matches unless you quit where as in inj2 the game would take over and cancel the match if the ping was too unstable

I'm going to say it: it's not possible to hold EVO as an online tournament -- period.

There might be something online to sit in the EVO timeslot, but it will not be EVO.

Why? Anyone who's run even a North American or European-only online tournament knows how difficult it is. You need to deal with tracking people down, brackets, disputes, cheating, disconnects on just a basic 'tournament' level. But more importantly, there are tons of issues where two people cannot connect to each other, aren't communicating, lag between each other, have PSN issues etc. So even a 'standard' online tournament where most people are in one area of the world is hard.

Now multiply those issues out to 700-3000 player brackets with people trying to connect each to each other between Japan and Chile. And across multiple different types of game systems (Smash, Marvel 2 anyone?). In all time zones at once. I'm sorry, but this is nonsense.

I think it's cool that they're trying to do something at all, but for those expecting that they're moving the entire EVO tournament online, it's time to get expectations in check quickly.

Last edited:
Considering all but 1 (IIRC) of the current lineup has delay netcode, MK11 would be by far the most stable contender at an online EVO in the current FGC environment.

They should honestly just 100% call off the smash ultimate part of the tourney if it's online. Nintendo gives no fucks about having a good online platform for their consoles so watching pros struggle just to manage playing in smash would be a huge waste of time.
Scorpion would win EVO lol.

They should just cancel EVO. It’s not essential lol

I'm going to say it: it's not possible to hold EVO as an online tournament -- period.

There might be something online to sit in the EVO timeslot, but it will not be EVO.

Why? Anyone who's run even a North American or European-only online tournament knows how difficult it is. You need to deal with tracking people down, brackets, disputes, cheating, disconnects on just a basic 'tournament' level. But more importantly, there are tons of issues where two people cannot connect to each other, aren't communicating, lag between each other, have PSN issues etc. So even a 'standard' online tournament where most people are in one area of the world is hard.

Now multiply those issues out to 700-3000 player brackets with people trying to connect each to each other between Japan and Chile. And across multiple different types of game systems (Smash, Marvel 2 anyone?). In all time zones at once. I'm sorry, but this is nonsense.

I think it's cool that they're trying to do something at all, but for those expecting that they're moving the entire EVO tournament online, it's time to get expectations in check quickly.
don't be so negative lol

E
don't be so negative lol
I'd say he's being more realistic than negative. There is likely no surefire way to make this happen and anyone feel it was done well and not a total shit storm. Unless they've been working on something in preparation for this announcement due to COVID-19, I really don't know what they could do to pull this off properly.

You MUST factor in that Internet anonymity is gonna be present during this and people are scum when it comes down to money.

The funny thing is that almost all the Evo games have terrible netplay and the game with literally and unarguably the best netcode is not a evo game.
oh yeah the fucking irony ..... :rolleyes:

anyway, fuck off Evo, since MK11 was cast out from it, this fucking Evo-shit lost all credibility and relevance , it's a fucking joke, so, this 2020 event will be a crap, you better believe it , hehe !! :p

The lineup is going to have to change. SFV is the only game were this may be possible, and that's debatable. We have no way of knowing how committed they are to these games (e.g., contracts with developers and publishers), but I don't see how this happens with these games and not be a total laughing stock. If they can change the lineup, there is plenty of games with good netcode on PC and current-gen that could make this possible, MK 11 included.