What's new

EVO 2019 Lineup Announced

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Major season 2019 is kicking off, and we just had the annual "what the heck is EVO doing this year?" stream as a result. You can probably venture a guess as to a few of the games, but if you want to see if you got all of them correct, your only option is to check out this post.

So our games for this year are as follows:

1. Tekken 7
2. Street Fighter V
3. Blazblue Cross-Tag Battle
4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
5. Dragonball FighterZ
6. Soul Calibur VI
7. Mortal Kombat 11
8. Samurai Showdown
9. Under Night In-Birth: EX Latest (UNIST)

As for the surprise Samurai Showdown reveal, they dropped a new trailer which I will post below in a second. So yeah, Mortal Kombat 11 is in. Y'all can stop panicking now. NRS has made it once again. CELEBRATE!

*UPDATE 1: For people attending, they will make sure people can get water without paying $20 a bottle this year. Will also drop early registration information whenever the EVO site updates.

*UPDATE 2: Sunday games are SFV, Smash Ultimate, Cross-Tag and Tekken. Registration is live at Smash.gg. Early registration is $45 for the venue and $10 per game right now, get in while it's still cheap.

Samurai Showdown trailer:

Last edited:

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
Wait, no Melee in the main lineup? Although I'm super ok with this (two games of the same franchise is a big sheesh from me), I can already taste the huge amount of salt this is gonna cause. lol

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
So... how many petitions have been made about putting Melee back into Evo yet?

MK11, SamSho, SC6 and UNIST being in is pretty cool though. Don't care much about the rest.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Wait, no Melee in the main lineup? Although I'm super ok with this (two games of the same franchise is a big sheesh from me), I can already taste the huge amount of salt this is gonna cause. lol
Yeah, it's been long overdue. Eventually, lugging around CRTVs solely for smelly nerds who won't get out of their childhood isn't going to work out and Nintendo would never let them run on emulators.

UNIST and Samurai Showdown are insanely hype though, UNIST especially. Awesome game that needs more recognition, I'll take that over Guilty Gear. Last year, somebody made Top 4 at the side tourney with the lowest tier character in the game

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
Just posting some thoughts as they are going, 3/5 for Cross Tag is great, sets go REALLY quick. Loving all the Melee crying, really showing how great that community is

BBXT was a bit of a surprise for me. I thought GG Rev was still more popular

DoA and Melee not making the cut was kind of expected.

BB on Sunday over MK? Lol
UNIST? Never heard of it
No DOA 6? Lol

New SamSho looks good to me though. It will likely flop, but I hope it's successful because I love SamSho and I would like SNK to continue making fighting games.

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
If we're talking anime fighters at EVO:

BBTAG OVER DBFZ ON SUNDAY??

We need to arrest Mr. Wizard for his crimes. He needs to be STOPPED.
It's a time thing: DBZF, Tekken, Smash and SFV all eat up a lot of time. SFV will always close it out, Smash is big enough to make the last day, and Tekken I think is the current overall FGC favorite. Tag is short enough to where you can fit it in that last day, so that leaves DBZF as the Saturday night closing game

Baconlord

Proud follower of the church of Cetrion
Everyone freaking out about the sunday games needs to calm down. There's no way mk11 would get a primetime spot over smash tekken or sf so if we were a sunday game we would get the super early slot like with mkx year 2. This way we'll be one of the bigger games on Saturday and it might overall be better for the scene

HellblazerHawkman

Confused Thanagarian
My favorite part about the Melee upset? They've been given a Sunday spot every year for like, 12 years, but they all always insist that EVO treats the Melee community like crap.

Everyone freaking out about the sunday games needs to calm down. There's no way mk11 would get a primetime spot over smash tekken or sf so if we were a sunday game we would get the super early slot like with mkx year 2. This way we'll be one of the bigger games on Saturday and it might overall be better for the scene
I agree with you regarding Smash, Tekken and SF. Even though MK will sell more than SF (and Tekken, maybe combined), EVO will probably always be a SF tournament. Although Smash is definitely knocking on that door, and Smash Ultimate will end up selling five times the copies the latest SF did.

But BB? That just strikes me as odd. I do understand your point about MK getting a more prominent spot on Saturday as opposed to starting at 9 a.m. on Sunday. But based on the reveal footage, it looked like the organizers see Sunday as the place for the "Big 4" games.

As it stands, I'm personally more excited for Saturday (MK11, SamSho and SC6) than Sunday (Tekken and Smash).

Its also important to remember Evo is always trying to hit a moving target.

Maybe Samurai Showdown will suck and not be worth the spot. Maybe DoA6 blows up competitively. BBxT may fade into obscurity. Japan may finally decide to get into some Kombat.

But the decision on what the main games are has to happen before all this insanity so its always going to be a crapshoot as to wether it really reflects the competitive communities.