What's new

Everything wrong with Jade

DarkSado

Noob
I feel like mid tier character like Jade and Kitana are not bad just need little adjustment. The real issue though is geras, scorpion, sub zero, erron black and Sonya needs a nerf.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I feel like mid tier character like Jade and Kitana are not bad just need little adjustment. The real issue though is geras, scorpion, sub zero, erron black and Sonya needs a nerf.
Absolutely. If the moves that break the game on the level of fundamentals get proper risk reward adjustments or even better, stop breaking the fundamentals, the currently weak characters will feel stronger.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Most of her weaknesses are in line with the rest of the cast.
We're gunna have to agree to disagree on this one. While I do see that Jade has necessary tradeoffs for her silly levels of weapon-based range, she has TOO many tradeoffs for it. As I said before, she lacks general damage, combo potential, block safety, whiff safety, and speed. Aside from Kotal, Frost, and D'Vorah (aka the worst 3 characters in the game), no one has a combination of negative tradeoffs this big without enough positives to make up for it.

Don't get me wrong. Jade is pretty good at keeping people at bay, and I don't think she's bottom 5 or anything like that. The issue comes when the fight inevitably moves past her comfortable range, most notably in matchups where the opponent can entirely ignore Jade's neutral (Geras, Scorpion, Sub, Liu, Noob, etc.). I understand that's kinda the entire shtick of those who wield large weapons: enjoy great range but shitty close combat potential. The issue is that Jade doesn't really get much aside from the range.

I think Jade's best contemporary in this game is Kabal, at least for easy comparison of strengths/weaknesses. Lots of weapon-based normals / strings, good range, good neutral, decent projectile + good air projectile -- Kabal's kit matches up decently well with Jade's. So over Kabal, Jade gets more range on some normals/strings and Glow... that's really it. Meanwhile, Kabal also gets a stun in his base kit, 50/50s, decent pressure, safe block pressure options, multiple great mids, fantastic KBs, and easy one-bar 28%+ damage combos that can potentially go into restand for more pressure. Kabal's only real weaknesses are that his 50/50s are variation specific and unsafe if he opts for low, his windup speed on some moves is a little sluggish, and he's highly susceptible to flawless block reversals (which is rather irrelevant outside pro play at the moment but still worth noting).

I just don't see why you think Jade's weaknesses "are in line with the rest of the cast" when those who have very similar strengths also get a lot of other strengths while also not having as many weaknesses. You're gunna have to explain that one to me.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Honestly, if they just let her have a better punish...She would be perfect.
Not perfect but she'd move to Okaytier from Buffthistier.
If 124 could launch for b2-shadowkick or b343 like THTB and I have been saying for a while now, she'd definitely stop being a potato.

It wouldn't solve that Glow is fullscreen punishable, Shadowkick and Butterfly are full combo punishable for little reward on hit and that everyone and their mothers have moves that just ignore Glow but it's a step in the right direction.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Jade is actually fine. Low key slept on. She absolutely doesn’t need buffs.

Which matchups does she lose? Maybe 2?

It feels bad because you have to play her patiently and her burst damage is really limited; but as a character she is fine.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
@GLoRToR can you tell me what exactly is the problem with b3434? It's never mentioned as a strength, yet on paper it's one of the best mid pressure strings I've seen in the game. I know there's a gap, but shouldn't that just lead to a mindgame around it?

My only guess as to what could be wrong with it is the rest of her tool kit doesn't allow you to close the gap for reasonable risk/reward if they get caught flawless blocking.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight

Which matchups does she lose? Maybe 2?

It feels bad because you have to play her patiently and her burst damage is really limited; but as a character she is fine.
What matchups does she win?

I'm not saying you are wrong (I think Jade is a good character, I just think she needs a slightly better punish) but she definitely loses to some characters. Scorpion for sure, as well as most of the top tiers mainly because she can't keep up with the damage differential.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!

I'm not saying you are wrong (I think Jade is a good character, I just think she needs a slightly better punish) but she definitely loses to some characters. Scorpion for sure, as well as most of the top tiers mainly because she can't keep up with the damage differential.
Does she really though?

I don’t think she beats a whole bunch of characters, but if she has even matchups across the board that would put her in top 10.

She probably loses to scorpion, maybe loses to Erron; everyone else is even or her favour. The only other potentially bad MU is frost; but who plays frost?

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Does she really though?

I don’t think she beats a whole bunch of characters, but if she has even matchups across the board that would put her in top 10.

She probably loses to scorpion, maybe loses to Erron; everyone else is even or her favour. The only other potentially bad MU is frost; but who plays frost?
She definitely loses to Scorpion. I don't speak a lot of absolutes anymore, but that's one I'm confident she loses. I feel more comfortable against Erron than I do against Scorp. Sonya is also a real pain in the ass for her. Sub Zero is a debate to whether it's even or she loses...she has a ton of those style matchups where it's either even or loss for her. The nature of her toolkit doesn't let her really dominate anyone.

I don't know how a character that doesn't dominate anyone, can't punish well, and suffers like a lot of characters against the top tier above her can be "underrated".

sgZick

Noob
I just don't see why you think Jade's weaknesses "are in line with the rest of the cast" when those who have very similar strengths also get a lot of other strengths while also not having as many weaknesses. You're gunna have to explain that one to me.
I think that because my conclusion is she is solid mid tier. Comparing individual weaknesses against strength of better characters. I won't argue that there are much better characters, but there are some that struggle harder. When it comes to balance I thing she is one that might remain untouched or get a very slight buff. So by being in that midfield that operates in alignment with MK11 mechanics makes me think she is in line with the other characters that do. Is Kabal a slightly better version of Jade, maybe, is he significantly better, nay...

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
@GLoRToR can you tell me what exactly is the problem with b3434? It's never mentioned as a strength, yet on paper it's one of the best mid pressure strings I've seen in the game. I know there's a gap, but shouldn't that just lead to a mindgame around it?

My only guess as to what could be wrong with it is the rest of her tool kit doesn't allow you to close the gap for reasonable risk/reward if they get caught flawless blocking.
I don't like the jank and the gap. It's not a bad string persay, it's that it's her best string.
If you look at what Kabal does on the same buttons on the same range, you'll notice that this string is not that great as a best string.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!

lmfao does the narrative in here suddenly ring a bell, TaC?
Isn't this similar to the MK9 crowd saying "Oh she's fine" "You just need to put in the work" "She's not that bad you just need to play her right" XD
Typically aggressive people who bring no argument just try to discredit, ridicule and undermine you, and they usually don't play the character.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Based on what evidence?

Go into the lab and start punishing her with the cast. Start with Glow at all ranges.
It takes 56 frames for her to be able to act after activating it.

Then look at her other specials.
If in an hour of labbing punishing her you still think she's actually fine and absolutely doesn't need changes, I don't know what to tell you.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I don't like the jank and the gap. It's not a bad string persay, it's that it's her best string.
If you look at what Kabal does on the same buttons on the same range, you'll notice that this string is not that great as a best string.
What jank specifically? Are there whiffing issues?

I don't see anything wrong with a fast mid that is easily hitconfirmable and +5 having a gap you need to play around. Liu's f43u3 is very similar in this regard. Honestly, it's how I open people up most with him. This weakness, can actually be a strength because it forces people to act. Would you feel differently about the gap if bf2 launched midscreen as a high risk/high reward method of closing that gap?

From the perspective of a D'vorah main, Jade's a character that's designed correctly, while her numbers are wrong. She seems like a functional character with poor risk reward. I'm not trying to say that my opinion is better than yours, but you act like she's got nothing to her but problems. The foundation is still there, just got to put out the kitchen fire. In short, she seems mid tier, maybe low mid.

I think she deserves a launcher because, well, every character does. No one's ever going to change my mind on that. I don't care if the combo does 19%, let it launch and let them do something. 12f startup on a parry is just god awful, and hopefully the flawless block issues will be addressed too.

If the cancels had been actually good, I'd have been all over Jade, honestly. I like a lot of what she has, I'm just a more rushdown player than her variations currently support.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
What jank specifically? Are there whiffing issues?
Right, I see what you're asking.
There is B3
There is B343
There is B3434
But there is no B34, you have to literally mash out the B343 for it to come out.

There are two problems with this, a major and a minor issue.
The main issue here is not that you have to mash B343 but rather that after a poke, and often even after a special, mashing out b343 nets you a sweep rather than the string itself which can blow you the fuck up hardcore if it happens.
The minor issue is that the cancel advantage is off and unless you input your special during B34 it won't come out, because B343's 3 is busted on cancels somehow. So not only do you have to mash out a string that will not always come out properly after a poke but you also have to input the special which makes staggers and cancels especially stressful to get going.

I don't see anything wrong with a fast mid that is easily hitconfirmable and +5 having a gap you need to play around. Liu's f43u3 is very similar in this regard. Honestly, it's how I open people up most with him. This weakness, can actually be a strength because it forces people to act. Would you feel differently about the gap if bf2 launched midscreen as a high risk/high reward method of closing that gap?
The mid is not horribly fast, Liu's F4 is i9 while Jade's B3 is i11 and loses to F4 without error because they have the same exact range.
The +5 part is flawless blockable even online, hence my issue with the gap. Kabal has no gaps and more reward for the same range.

EDIT: Forgot to answer your question.
I'd rather have BF2 safe on block as a proper cancel with the meterburn making it + on block and deal slightly more damage, personally.

From the perspective of a D'vorah main,
I respect you for sticking with your bugged character. Pun totally intended. Don't let it bug you. :D

Jade's a character that's designed correctly, while her numbers are wrong.
Absolutely correct. That's why I made this thread.

She seems like a functional character with poor risk reward.
Bottom of my opening post.

I'm not trying to say that my opinion is better than yours,
I know, you're playing a character that's worse than mine and it's difficult for you to see how a character so much better has issues. It's normal. I feel sort of the same way when I see Lao buff requests. But then I remind myself that all but the Brokentier have heavy issues they need dealt with.

but you act like she's got nothing to her but problems.
You misunderstand. This is not the "Everything that's right about Jade" thread.
I could make a thread that shows appreciation for what's good about her, but this thread is here to raise awareness to her glaring issues such as the bad numbers you agree she has. 56 frames to get a move out is straight up bad.
Her F2 is the worst normal in the game.
Her BF2 being -13 makes no sense.

The foundation is still there, just got to put out the kitchen fire. In short, she seems mid tier, maybe low mid.
Let's not go into tier nonsense. Just please understand that I'm not calling her a potato. I'm calling out problems.
I play her daily.

I think she deserves a viable and functional launcher that can properly punish because, well, every character does.
Fixed. F2 is a launcher and it leads to over 20% on better days. It's the added criteria I corrected that she could very well benefit from.

I don't care if the combo does 19%,
We do care if it does because she can punish for 14% right now.
30% is the bare minimum for a punish in this game as damage goes right now.

12f startup on a parry is just god awful, and hopefully the flawless block issues will be addressed too.
The launcher is a real flustercluck, man. I don't even.

If the cancels had been actually good, I'd have been all over Jade, honestly. I like a lot of what she has, I'm just a more rushdown player than her variations currently support.
I felt the same way. I find zoning and running away an extremely inefficient way to play in a game of teleports and F4s.

Last edited:

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Based on what evidence?

Go into the lab and start punishing her with the cast. Start with Glow at all ranges.
It takes 56 frames for her to be able to act after activating it.

Then look at her other specials.
If in an hour of labbing punishing her you still think she's actually fine and absolutely doesn't need changes, I don't know what to tell you.
I actually play Jade for what it’s worth.

Her ability to outspace the cast is second to none. She controls the pace of the match.

The only matchup where this may not be true is against Scorpion.

Yes, her damage is booty but it’s death by a thousand cuts; which she actually gets.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Her ability to outspace the cast is second to none.
Kabal. Scorpion. Cetrion. Three off the top of my head.

I'm not saying she doesn't have strengths but this thread is here to address her issues.

And to claim that she needs no adjustments, I'd like to see some raw numbers behind that.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Kabal. Scorpion. Cetrion. Three off the top of my head.

I'm not saying she doesn't have strengths but this thread is here to address her issues.

And to claim that she needs no adjustments, I'd like to see some raw numbers behind that.
Her strengths far outweigh her issues. She’s not getting any adjustments, nor does she need them.

What raw numbers do you have to claim she needs adjustments?

Also, she most certainly has better space control than Kabal and cetrion.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Her strengths far outweigh her issues. She’s not getting any adjustments, nor does she need them.

What raw numbers do you have to claim she needs adjustments?

Also, she most certainly has better space control than Kabal and cetrion.
The numbers that support your claims.
When I say that Glow makes her inert for 56 frames I have frame data behind it.
When I say that Butterfly is -13 on block and gets you full combo punished, it's data you can reproduce.
When I say that F2 is the worst normal in the game, I have frame data supporting this.

You come into this thread making categorical assertions without any evidence to back them up and trying to seem like you're discrediting my work.
You seem to not understand how character research and calling out a character's problems benefits the game.
What you think and the facts are two different things.

And what she's getting or not getting is up to NRS, you have no say in this so stop.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
The numbers that support your claims.
When I say that Glow makes her inert for 56 frames I have frame data behind it.
When I say that Butterfly is -13 on block and gets you full combo punished, it's data you can reproduce.
When I say that F2 is the worst normal in the game, I have frame data supporting this.

You come into this thread making categorical assertions without any evidence to back them up and trying to seem like you're discrediting my work.
You seem to not understand how character research and calling out a character's problems benefits the game.
What you think and the facts are two different things.

And what she's getting or not getting is up to NRS, you have no say in this so stop.
I get that you’re heated; but the character is fine.

Glow isn’t done in neutral, you do it on reaction to a projectile. It is literally the most broke special in the game that can completely invalidate certain characters.

f2 is super slow, but it hits half screen and is overhead. You have to watch out for b2, d4, shadow kick and db3 which has you neutral ducking a whole bunch and opens you up to this.

bf2 shouldn’t be done on block unless it’s a chip out situation. It launches in the corner; it’s fine that it’s not safe.

Jump back air glaive is insanely strong against most of the cast. She has to play super lame and go for the time outs; but she is incredibly solid.

Looking at matchups:
Erron 6-4
Scorpion 6-4
Frost 6-4

Literally everyone else is 5-5 or better.

I don’t see how a character with potentially only 3 bad matchups requires buffs.