What's new

Everyone saying Blue Beetle is trash, but...

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Expected to see some juicy BB tech there.

great b8 m8 ;)

Although from what ive noticed, he hits like a bitch and has a very boring play style. So thats why I think hes trash and this might be the general consensus. However its early days, learn him now and when he inevitably gets buffed, you will be sorted!

he has great mix ups 55% 2 meter combo mid screen that you can sacrifice 3% dmg to end in a sweep for oki. 40% 1 meter dmg combo mid screen. 40% 1 meter corner, 35% meterless corner combos. restands in the corner that are anywhere from +3 to +20 depend on the height in which you restand. great projectile, great air mobility. great poke range with claws, and sweep. Maybe people just don't wanna put in the work.

Edit: Forgot that he can basically make any string safe on block with shield bash. Not claw version because that shit is negative af.

No range on normals. Trait which is suppose to give range to normals doesn't even work properly with all strings, changes your -4 shield bash with a fully combo punishable -14 move, and you lose your projectile on top of that. Basically his trait is ass. Your only forward advancing string is unsafe on block. Your damage is low and most of the time you have to invest 2 bars for decent damage. Probably his best string 111 has a pretty massive gap at the end you can easily just mash through. He has no real way to open you up and most of the time if you just hold back when he approaches you and then down after the first hit of basically every string he won't hit you for anything significant at all. If you can land a clean jump in you'll get superman 1 bar damage for 2 bars, but if you're playing a good player it can be pretty rough to do that unless they get hit by a gimmicky set up. Essentially when playing Beetle you have to work way harder than most of the cast to do half the damage and get half as effective set ups.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
No range on normals. Trait which is suppose to give range to normals doesn't even work properly with all strings, changes your -4 shield bash with a fully combo punishable -14 move, and you lose your projectile on top of that. Basically his trait is ass. Your only forward advancing string is unsafe on block. Your damage is low and most of the time you have to invest 2 bars for decent damage. Probably his best string 111 has a pretty massive gap at the end you can easily just mash through. He has no real way to open you up and most of the time if you just hold back when he approaches you and then down after the first hit of basically every string he won't hit you for anything significant at all. If you can land a clean jump in you'll get superman 1 bar damage for 2 bars, but if you're playing a good player it can be pretty rough to do that unless they get hit by a gimmicky set up. Essentially when playing Beetle you have to work way harder than most of the cast to do half the damage and get half as effective set ups.
So lots of work for meager damage and setups? Sounds like my kind of character :)

HaZed

Noob
This guy gets it, he is decent when you are playing someone that doesnt know what to do...but I think he will actually get worse when people start to get more knowledge. Against my normal practice partner(aquaman) I can't even use beetle any more because he just punishes every unsafe move I make and does double damage every time. Bottom line is he just has to work really hard for minimal damage when other characters get it easier. It's not his playstyle because he feels really fun to play around with.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Bb relies heavily on flight cancel shenanigans, ambig x-ups with jump 2 and 3, solid fundamentals, resource management and constant trait switching.

Cheerio blast being a high is balanced by its meter build, decent frame data and damage. He can also use this mid air, for a downward blast - including on hit, blocked and whiffed air normals (the latter reduces his air time, effectively changing the trajectory of his cheerios)

In Gun stance, he can cancel all his strings into shield bash, leaving him unpunishable (-4 on block) and grants him sizeable pushback.

Gaps in strings is part of the injustice meta - deal with it.

In sword stance, his effective range on virtually all his normals (including b2, his overhead) is doubled...and he gets a damage boost. Db1 is now a reaction AA and not a predicition.

His D3 is a sick ranged sweep and all round great footsie tool.

You want block pressure, use gun stance. You want hit confirmable damage, use trait.

BB is also very mobile, being able to flight cancel indefinitely and at any jump height, including off his 1,3 pressure string, which he can then get ambig x-ups off.

His damage being relatively low is to offset all this and keep him in check.

He does take work (both physical dexterity and mental fortitude) to win with yes, but that's
A) tempered with a really good all round tool set.
B) only in comparison to face roll over your controller characters like super douche, aqua turd, deadshit and bat-twat.

Last edited:
Bb relies heavily on flight cancel shenanigans, ambig x-ups with jump 2 and 3, solid fundamentals, resource management and constant trait switching.

Cheerio blast being a high is balanced by its meter build, decent frame data and damage. He can also use this mid air, for a downward blast - including on hit, blocked and whiffed air normals (the latter reduces his air time, effectively changing the trajectory of his cheerios)

In Gun stance, he can cancel all his strings into shield bash, leaving him unpunishable (-4 on block) and grants him sizeable pushback.

Gaps in strings is part of the injustice meta - deal with it.

In sword stance, his effective range on virtually all his normals (including b2, his overhead) is doubled...and he gets a damage boost. Db1 is now a reaction AA and not a predicition.

His D3 is a sick ranged sweep and all round great footsie tool.

You want block pressure, use gun stance. You want hit confirmable damage, use trait.

BB is also very mobile, being able to flight cancel indefinitely and at any jump height, including off his 1,3 pressure string, which he can then get ambig x-ups off.

His damage being relatively low is to offset all this and keep him in check.

He does take work (both physical dexterity and mental fortitude) to win with yes, but that's
A) tempered with a really good all round tool set.
B) only in comparison to face roll over your controller characters like super douche, aqua turd, deadshit and bat-twat.
Now I admittedly don't know jackshit about Beetle but don't you guys who keep claiming his strings are unsafe have a safe special you should be ending them in on block?
Constant trait switching lol. His trait is worthless. Half of his strings at the range where your trait actually would matter don't combo or land on block because he doesn't use his blade for every hit. You essentially become unsafe on almost everything you do because you lose safe shield bash and your projectile. His trait is so worthless. And you maybe get like 5-10 extra damage per combo in trait. It's negligiable. And you can cancel everything into safe shield bash,but it puts you at a range to where you can't do anything if your opponent just holds back. Having to approach anyone as beetle is pretty hellacious with his awful normals. Just holding back when you have a life lead vs Beetle will shut down so many of his options. You have to just dash up and sweep + hope they don't know how to block on wake up. Most of his flight set ups are straight gimmicks that are easy to get out of if you have match up experience.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I think he's gonna end up being pretty good. He's just one of those characters that requires a lot of work to play and be good with. So people probably haven't cared to look into him.

Personally, I'd rather not play someone like that and instead stick to someone more simple (hence my WW choice and previous mains of Sub Zero and Nightwing lol).. plus, as a character, I think he's kinda lame so I could never play him anyways. lol

I am fairly content with Blue Beetle so far. He is an adaptive character in that he changes his game plan based on player/match ups. So far he seems like an even character. As far as combo damage etc. that people are noticing the most. He reminds me of hawk girl in a way where you just do consistent small damage until corner then he gets ridiculous.

People never mention his D2 which is really good, beats batmans J2 good lol. He also requires patience, his advantage is that he can build meter against most of the cast with donuts non stop then engage in melee when they close in. He is one of the better up close fighters when you look at the zoning characters.

Pros and cons time. [x] denotes in blade form.

Pros

Great fast high projectile to build meter.
D2 Godlike
Air mobility is great versus most of the cast
Good footsie tool in F2 for trip guard
Safe long reaching D4
Has an overhead B2 to safe shield bash
Angled projectile to chip pressure when needed
Can conserve meter very well
Corner game mix ups are ridiculous
[x] Fast punishing move for footsies to replace shield bash
[x] Safe far reaching overhead
[x] Air superiority

Cons
Has mediocre damage opportunities
Outside of corner has no block pressure
Has to choose between stances aka Wowo syndrome
[x] Bad wake up game
Does not have efficient ways to use meter offensively
Super sucks
When I play him people do not think it is "exciting" enough

RM Truth

Unintentional Tier Whore Follow me @TruthRM
I am fairly content with Blue Beetle so far. He is an adaptive character in that he changes his game plan based on player/match ups. So far he seems like an even character. As far as combo damage etc. that people are noticing the most. He reminds me of hawk girl in a way where you just do consistent small damage until corner then he gets ridiculous.

People never mention his D2 which is really good, beats batmans J2 good lol. He also requires patience, his advantage is that he can build meter against most of the cast with donuts non stop then engage in melee when they close in. He is one of the better up close fighters when you look at the zoning characters.

Pros

D2 Godlike
Safe long reaching D4
[x] Air superiority

Cons
[x] Bad wake up game
Super sucks
Holy shit you're alive?

I love BB. I think he's a strong character. Something that I've noticed in higher level play is that some players generally ignore is trait form and just work with his normals from regular form. When I use BB I switch to Trait form as often as possible. It makes certain moves unsafe to end in special but it really helps in other instances.

111 is a high and it has a gap. It's useful but holy crap it can get blown up by a lot of stuff. If you're in regular form it'll get blown up by a d2 from anyone. In trait form it's a little harder to punish because of the added distance.

f23 is hella-unsafe and you can't special cancel on block so everyone saying "shield bash is only -4 " yeah sure but if you can't use it after your best mid string it's not exactly useful. It's better in trait form because of the added range. I don't know about anyone else but I find the timing on the f3 after f23 to be one of the most strict in the game.

b23 into etc- nice overhead 50/50 but it's made much better with trait form because you don't need to be right up on someone to do it.

33- is only good inside combos- can often be replaced with 111. In certain combos you can get the squeezed in 3 before you special cancel but in terms of starters it's just a mid that you are only going to cancel into shield bash for safety. Can you hit confirm off 3? I actually don't even know.

b1 is only -1 so it's a good check move. b13 is -10 needs to be shield bashed for safety.

132, 1+3 is useless. It's not a good mix up, it starts high, it scales super hard in combos so as far as I can tell it's not even good as a combo ender. I can't tell what on earth I'm supposed to do with that string. It's better to end in a special after 132 like 100% of the time.

132, again, not a mix up and starts high. You can special cancel it thankfully so you should probably try using 132 instead of 111 when people keep trying to blow up your gaps.

his ji1 with trait is the best ji1 in the game. The range is crazy, you can counter almost any jump in.

ji2 is good with flight combos/ mix ups/ cross ups. It's pretty decent.

ji3 is garbage.

That being said he still has some of the best 50/50s in the game but you need to do some really risky shenanigans to get them off. So if people keep trying to blow up 111 sometimes you'll just need to throw out a 1df1 or mbb3 but you can get punished hard for reading wrong.

Last edited:

Chrishaspads

Name isn't Chris, Doesn't have pads

Pros

D2 Godlike
Safe long reaching D4
[x] Air superiority

Cons
[x] Bad wake up game
Super sucks
Do you play him as a keep away character or do you generally try to stay in your opponents face? Saw Chris G play pig last night and he just zoned the whole game which is fine, BB can zone pretty well. But I think it's pretty boring to zone as him so people are trying to play him differently and rush down. That can lead to people feeling he is worse than he is because they can be playing him wrong.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I do wish trait was a bit more useful. His f2 and d2 with trait are amazing, but what does he get off of them? He loses so much while trait is on. I'd rather lose the range and keep my zoning and safe Shield Bash. I'm sure it helps in some matchups, but it just makes him too unsafe and limited for my liking.

Why do people keep talking about his awful trait? The minor advantages you gains are COMPLETELY outweighed by the negatives. You are now unsafe on so much and have no projectile. Chris G is is the best beetle player I've watched so far by a good margin has been saying this same thing from the beginning.

@karaokelove
No his D2 in blaster form is godlike too and it lets you do a combo to shield bash to push them full screen again. His blade form for the MU's where your blaster is ineffective like deadshot etc. Gives you just a slight edge against those characters as they usually have bad tools up close/mid range.

@Chrishaspads
Typically I sling donuts at players but it is really just a comfort level thing right now. I have seen the tech that people are putting out and have done the set ups. They are really legit, but I just haven't got the execution and familiarity doing them yet. Honestly, I picked him up to see how far his zoning game could go and it is quite effective. I will work on his up close game more particularly in corner as I see that being really good.

I play 5 characters right now so I am slowly progressing each. I am just getting my losses out of the way now before I head to any tournaments. I am down to play anyone to practice.

@ATL Jones Bro3
I think his trait should be treated like the others and just use it for a limited time in a match. Very seldom am I staying in blade form trying to rush people down. Think more like shield stance for WoWo in inj1

Why do people keep talking about his awful trait? The minor advantages you gains are COMPLETELY outweighed by the negatives. You are now unsafe on so much and have no projectile. Chris G is is the best beetle player I've watched so far by a good margin has been saying this same thing from the beginning.

I always try to use it on characters with no projectiles who need to get in or on players with better ranged normals. I think having a super far reaching d1 for example is incredibly useful. I think the fact that f2 range is basically doubled is useful. Most of the time I switch between them pretty often in the match. I don't think it's supposed to be "use one or the other"

@ATL Jones Bro3
I think his trait should be treated like the others and just use it for a limited time in a match. Very seldom am I staying in blade form trying to rush people down. Think more like shield stance for WoWo in inj1
But why though? I feel like the only real benefit you get is a longer range b2. You get more f2 range but now you don't have shiel bash and you're unsafe. Plus most of the strings in trait won't fully land on block or hit unless you're in it's normal range anyways. I would rather be in his normal stance in every situation.