What's new

Ever had the feeling you just suck at MK11?

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
I'll send you a recording to play to yourself when you need to take a break. What it will say exactly remains a mystery until I actually send it. =P
That's perfect! Just make sure you yell a lot.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
I despise playing against Erron and Scorpion, they make me feel like a terrible player, when in reality I’m working twice as hard as my opponent, but Scorpion has an answer to every single thing you could do, insane staggers, and huge combo and chip damage, and Erron is always safe (low slide is literally the only thing you can punish) despite having the best 50/50s in the game, and if you block correctly, you still eat 2727272627 damage because you are on his acid while he mashes out the 2121212 string, into ANOTHER 50/50. Landed a combo on Erron? Cool, now he has his armored 10 frame fatal blow that hits fullscreen and does 380 dmg. lol

I’m not saying the game is unbalanced, it’s pretty fine right now, but I’m pretty tired of losing to worse players because their character has dirt, I play the most honest characters in the game (aside from Sonya, who still has her own weaknesses) and yet I feel like a horrible player because of my character choice.

I can’t bring myself to tier whore, I just can’t play a character I don’t enjoy, and that’s not really good for me lol

GoonerJoe88

Emperor Of Outworld
The one thing i adore the most in mk11 is that it auto record matches, That way when i lose a set i can watch the recording to fully grasp my errors and if i got stuck in a predictable patterns.
I did not know this. As an amateur still learning this will help out a lot. Where do I need to go to watch the replay?

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
I did not know this. As an amateur still learning this will help out a lot. Where do I need to go to watch the replay?
In your own kombat kard, navigate to Kareer stats then you'll find the option "watch replays" of which the game auto saves your latest 10 or so played matches. That includes all types of game modes alike (single player tower of time/klassic as well as online versus matches) so make sure to check your online matches regularly and favorite/save the match replays you don't want to lose, otherwise the game will just overwrite them with your most recent matches.

GoonerJoe88

Emperor Of Outworld
In your own kombat kard, navigate to Kareer stats then you'll find the option "watch replays" of which the game auto saves your latest 10 or so played matches. That includes all types of game modes alike (single player tower of time/klassic as well as online versus matches) so make sure to check your online matches regularly and favorite/save the match replays you don't want to lose, otherwise the game will just overwrite them with your most recent matches.
Wow, this is great! Thanks a lot, man!

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Second match I made some questionable choices but took control of the set. Then after that it just went out the window. I went on stream and got bopped. I watched the vod and thought "That's not how I play at all." I did empty jump teleport for no reason. I punished everything with D3 jump back.
Man, that classic Down3 jump back punish. LOL it happens to everyone

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
a little piece of psychologycal advice here, hehe:

Nope, not gonna permit myself to get stressful regarding loses in a game .... so I waste 2 hours of my time, playing this lovely great game, having fun and so, and , what if happen someday, I started losing a lot, I will feel myself as the dumbest asshole imcompetent , scrub noob and donkey player ? no way, it will never happen .... there is none important pressure "on the table", you will not waste and losing nothing (maybe for some will hurt your ego if you are very sensitive person about losing anything in life, hehe) .... it's not like you are betting your house, or just bet 10.000 bucks in a money match, right ? so what ? play the game without requesting and asking too much of yourself .... and this is when you get free of any charge and responsability to win all the time, mainly the psychologic barriers ones that make people nervous as hell .... :D

even the big ones professionals players loses from time to time, so, everyone will lose in this game, it's unavoidable ..... how you take your failures it's what counts the most .... so, take it relaxed , just thinking : "ok, gonna try harder and better next time, and if even this way, I lose again, fuck off, who cares ?" and , maybe, by chance, if being good in MK11 it's that much important to you, you can try to improve as a "constantly improvement goal/objective challenge journey" enjoyable purpose experience to reach, but , without feeling yourself like a trash piece of shit, haha :p

remember, the main and original purpose of games, are .... to have fun and amusing time ..... win and lose is part of everything in life, even more when any kind of competition it's evolved; you can deny it, but, it's totally true: you learn anyway in any situtation .... you try , you learn, you lose, you learn, you win, you learn .... remember that gorgeous Alanis Morissete song, hehe ;)

villainous monk

Terrible times breed terrible things, my lord.
Only reason I feel like I'm not where I think I'm at is thankfully not due to the game but life.

Way way WAY too busy to even turn on my PS4 or Xbox, when both were working of course.:(

I'm not hard wired connectioned to the internet anymore do online is out of the question.
Too busy with school and work.
Having to downgrade from my hitbox to pad is frustrating.

Like I said all personal things but I feel like mk11 could be my last fighter I might play.

Dr. Cheesesteak

pygophile and podophile
"Man, i should have anti-aired those jump ins."
"I need to learn the ins and outs of this MU"
"I'm still not good enough, need more practice."
"Need to start breaking those throws"

I wonder if some of you ask yourselves similar questions, do you feel cheated? Do you feel there are particular areas in the game that you should improve? I need to have a widen perspective of general struggles for this game so i can grasp which things to work on first whenever i have the time.
I think/say those sort of things a lot of times. I don't feel cheated, b/c I place a lot of the responsibility on myself.

I've been to one monthly (35 ppl) and 3 weeklies (14-16 ppl per) so far and have won just 2 sets. However, I've only ever been washed in 2 sets (well, 3, but that one I was cold, hadn't played in 1.5 days! :oops: ). All my other sets have been close and have just come down to me not knowing the MU, misinputs due to lack of calmness, or just having so many decisions going through my mind at once and I pick the wrong one. Online is similar, tho I've only played Ranked a handful of times. Most of my online matches are long sets w/ friends (ones who also go to the same tourneys as me).

So I know I need more practice on my MU knowledge and decision making as intangible things to work on. More online sets vs strangers (to get character variety) and research will help that.

Execution errors, while a tangible thing to improve, also come down to the intangibles of getting frustrated at myself, trying to rush decisions, etc. Basically, I just need to be calm. Which, probably more Ranked will help with. Character crisis, playing other games...all weak excuses for avoiding Ranked. I just need to do Ranked more.

As with anything, the more experience you have, the more likely you are to not be adversely affected by it when things go wrong.

a little piece of psychologycal advice here, hehe:

Nope, not gonna permit myself to get stressful regarding loses in a game

remember, the main and original purpose of games, are .... to have fun and amusing time .....
I need to work on this.

If we wanna get real deep here, a lot of the reason I place so much burden on myself to get better (even tho I don't actually dedicate enough time as said above, smh...) is b/c I want to be good at something competitively (or cooperatively, sure), I guess to feel some sort of "purpose" or to give myself something to aim for. And it's not like I need to be someone godlike at that something. In regards to FGs, I just want to be a threat at my locals. That simple, really.

I used to play basketball a lot, 2-3x a week for about 3 years, and that was sort of my activity satiate my competitive urge and try to continuously improve (i.e. have a "purpose" for). But I have not played in over a year. I'm 34 w/o any kids and have a nice-paying job w/ a pension and full benefits. So, I basically live a pretty mundane life. So there is this sort of "something to strive for" void in my life, and about 1.5 years ago I decided fighting games (which I had played casually since I was 8) would fill that void.

The pressure of filling this void is what causes me to ultimately NOT even enjoy myself at tournaments sometimes, b/c I get so disappointed in myself for not being as good as I know I can be. Honestly, until I have a family to shift my priorities, not sure I'll ever be able to do things completely free spirited or w/o care of the results. I've had the burden of "need to be good at something" placed on me since I was an adolescent. Subconscious mindsets are hard to overcome.

Last edited:
I constantly talk out loud while playing, calling out what they're doing to beat me and what I'm doing wrong as if I'm my own pro-game commentator. It helps me a lot to focus and readjust as I get my thoughts out. That, and it helps vent frustrations so I don't get tilted. Generally speaking, I struggle with jumping too much, being too dedicated to a predictable cycle, responding to opponents predictable cycles, and grab teching.

Outside of some shitty connection issues, I will never say I feel cheated though just the same as you. This game has very VERY few things I'd consider bullshit (basically just KB balance honestly) and most everything is more methodical. Win or lose, I'm having fun and learning.
you nailed it lol ... im always screaming at the tv

Last edited:

XxTheGoblinX

Le_Supreme_
In the beginning there were 3 things causing me to lose games.

1. Yolo Fatal Blows
  2. Jumping
  3. Not punishing unsafe strings
Then as I got better I found new and more technical flaws like not taking my turn back after a blocked poke, Anti airs , patience and execution. I lab those weaknesses and then play online with those things in mind.

But no I never feel cheated because idk how you guys feel but this is a pretty amazing fighting game, when I fight people my level or even higher, I always feel like I have a chance. But the biggest problem right now is Sonya, Scorpion(Reborn), and Skarlet. Those characters destroy my braincells they just feel different from the rest of the cast.

I know I'm not the best, but I never try to be. I'm just a casual MK11 player, and just play for the fun of it. I have more losses than wins online, but I don't really care. I haven't seen many "cheap" tactics used yet, not like back in MK9.

SinkFla

Noob
I felt incredibly confident in I2, taking me a lot longer in MK11. I feel like I have awful tendencies that cause me to lose matches and I have a serious problem with mentally checking out in long sets lol. Makes me nervous about going to a major. Can I really manage a shit ton of games over several days even if I were doing well at first? Ehhh

Scrub lord here . From time to time i get players that are just jump kicks into d2.From time to time i get d1 mashers into grabs.I also tend to get a lot of hard projectile spamers.I even had a guy once who was 900+ games and he killed me with literaly nothing but throws .To sum it up i feel like a hard core noob cuz i lost to someone i clearly can see is a lot worse then me (but that doesnt make it any less of a my fault) .I guess there is still a lot to learn for me in fighting games.

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
I am the best mortal kombat (any mortal kombat) player in the existence of this planet.

If someone beats me, I have created a list to pick from to make sure everyone understands I am the best, but have been held back.

1. They are obviously lagging, and me, the pro that I am, practiced 99% without lag, so his win means nothing as offline I would 10-0 them.

2. They use top tier while I use absolute trash tier. Obviously if I would mirror match them with their character I'd 10-0 them, but now I'm handicapping myself to play an absolute trash tier because I am merciful.

3. My controller is broken and the d-pad is giving wrongful inputs. Obviously I throw teched but the gamepad is broken and didn't take the input.

4. The game is badly programmed. There are random input buffer blackouts when I block. Obviously I made the perfect read and pressed the buttons perfectly, the game literally sabotaged me by cutting my inputs especially for me to lose.

5. The opponent is garbage, but he has no life and lives in a basement playing 23 hours per day. I myself, although being godlike at the game, have the most successful life being a CEO, having a personal brothel all to myself and having won countless offline tournaments in fighting games for at least 10 years, so I can't be bothered to practice that much just to beat a no-lifer. Obviously with a couple hours practice I would 10-0 them, but they're not worth the effort.

6. I'm not playing serious, I am playing relaxed and can't be bothered to actually pay attention to the opponent, so they beat me because I let them. Of course, if I would concentrate even for 20 seconds, I would 10-0 them immediately.

All in all, there is no single possible way that I suck at this game and, in this entire PLANET, for a single living entity to somehow be better than me at this game. This is unfathomable even to joke about.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
I am the best mortal kombat (any mortal kombat) player in the existence of this planet.

If someone beats me, I have created a list to pick from to make sure everyone understands I am the best, but have been held back.

1. They are obviously lagging, and me, the pro that I am, practiced 99% without lag, so his win means nothing as offline I would 10-0 them.

2. They use top tier while I use absolute trash tier. Obviously if I would mirror match them with their character I'd 10-0 them, but now I'm handicapping myself to play an absolute trash tier because I am merciful.

3. My controller is broken and the d-pad is giving wrongful inputs. Obviously I throw teched but the gamepad is broken and didn't take the input.

4. The game is badly programmed. There are random input buffer blackouts when I block. Obviously I made the perfect read and pressed the buttons perfectly, the game literally sabotaged me by cutting my inputs especially for me to lose.

5. The opponent is garbage, but he has no life and lives in a basement playing 23 hours per day. I myself, although being godlike at the game, have the most successful life being a CEO, having a personal brothel all to myself and having won countless offline tournaments in fighting games for at least 10 years, so I can't be bothered to practice that much just to beat a no-lifer. Obviously with a couple hours practice I would 10-0 them, but they're not worth the effort.

6. I'm not playing serious, I am playing relaxed and can't be bothered to actually pay attention to the opponent, so they beat me because I let them. Of course, if I would concentrate even for 20 seconds, I would 10-0 them immediately.

All in all, there is no single possible way that I suck at this game and, in this entire PLANET, for a single living entity to somehow be better than me at this game. This is unfathomable even to joke about.
The funniest thing about this is that your bio literally says “Spammer” :DOGE

I cannot get into this clunky series anymore. It feels not right, everything feels slow and delayed, block stuns are too long and no character feels good imo. Of course i lose because even moving feels unnatural. I can do jf knees in vf all day long because it feels good and is not a stiff puppet show, rip. Nrs games feels like a game from the early 90s

Man labbing for hours then to play my friend online who rarely plays the game and proceed to get poked, grabbed and jump kicked to death makes me pissed at myself and want to level up even more but that of course happens after a 2 minute rage break lol

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
One of the main issues is you guys take online serious when most of the people are wifi warriors.

Thats why when people like to challenge me to online matches i usually (not always) destroy them completely, or the the vice versa. Online is not consistent.

If you play the bots on the hardest consistently, youre better than 80% of the online player base.

DrFolmer

AKA Uncle Kano
I have this really weird thing with just not blocking low/oh (things that go into overhead first, low on second for instance) strings properly in time. It feels so frustrating because I'm aware of it and it's only about a year ago I played Injustice 2, and I've been busy with Tekken 7 in the meantime - so I dont feel like I'm getting rusty in terms of not playing fighting games. Scorpions spear moves are easy to block but I KEEP GETTING CLIPPED BY SONYA'S b1. I think it could be because Tekken, framewise is a bit of a slower game, so I need to adjust to this one