What's new

General/Other - Ethereal Ethereal Variation General Discussion

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
All this variation needs is less SU frames and less Recovery to make it useful, as well as immunity to throw while faded out (why the hell that is I don't know u should be safe during the teleport) it just makes the vari useless as it revolves around this teleport u can't even extend combos using it. I am somewhat wanting to suggest a hit of armour on EX tele.
I believe every character has a hit of armour if they wake up EX Teleport except Mileena, so just to be fair I believe she should have the same

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I believe every character has a hit of armour if they wake up EX Teleport except Mileena, so just to be fair I believe she should have the same
yep, if they dont have armor already they get it on wakeup,
yet mileena has TWO different teleports that dont follow this :( :( :(

Elias6999

Mournful Master
I like to use this variation when my opponent picks a high pressure or 50/50 character (Summoner Quan Chi) to run away from their pressure, and toll them hard by reversing their wakeups. Still pretty weak though, I mean no variation Tanya > Ethereal Mileena :confused:

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I like to use this variation when my opponent picks a high pressure or 50/50 character (Summoner Quan Chi) to run away from their pressure, and toll them hard by reversing their wakeups. Still pretty weak though, I mean no variation Tanya > Ethereal Mileena :confused:
Problem with that is most of the pressure characters can catch u if you teleport back or they can just knock u out since the SU is slow

TheGabStandard

yep, if they dont have armor already they get it on wakeup,
yet mileena has TWO different teleports that dont follow this :( :( :(
It is interesting that across all characters and variations I believe D'vorah and Mileena are the only two characters that have one armoured special. Correct me if I'm wrong but quietly confident that is the case.

It is interesting that across all characters and variations I believe D'vorah and Mileena are the only two characters that have one armoured special. Correct me if I'm wrong but quietly confident that is the case.
I've thought about this myself. But then I wondered, what other special should Mileena have armor on?

The natural 1st answer would be EN Telekick, but I'm not sure. Her X-Ray is basically armored Telekick anyway, and there aren't too many scenarios where it'd be more useful than EN Roll, since both are unsafe combo starters. (Though it would be amazing vs Jacqui's air rocket...). So nah, don't know if that's needed.

Maybe EN Fade could have armor, but it'd be just as easy to make it like 4f startup so that no attacks would hit her out of it. (Except grabs to keep it from being too braindead).

TheGabStandard

I've thought about this myself. But then I wondered, what other special should Mileena have armor on?

The natural 1st answer would be EN Telekick, but I'm not sure. Her X-Ray is basically armored Telekick anyway, and there aren't too many scenarios where it'd be more useful than EN Roll, since both are unsafe combo starters. (Though it would be amazing vs Jacqui's air rocket...). So nah, don't know if that's needed.

Maybe EN Fade could have armor, but it'd be just as easy to make it like 4f startup so that no attacks would hit her out of it. (Except grabs to keep it from being too braindead).
With EX Telekick and Fade, either of them (not both) could have armour on wakeup like other characters that have armour on wake up teleports.

I think Mileena has some decent wake up pressure with her standing 3 ... so with Ethereal I try to end combos with F14+Fade. The F14 is a hard knock down and fade towards puts you over them for some incredibly ambiguous mix-up shenanigans. The timing can be played with to effect which side you appear on. Fade away puts Mileena mid-full screen for sai/ roll pressure.

Ethereal has its uses. Consider you have a "free dash" that uses no stamina. Mileena is at her best mid range, fishing in and out of combat - punishing her opponent's moment to moment gameplan with air sais or rolls.

I think if Ethereal got any changes I'd like to see any of the following ...

• Tele-drop hits overhead
  • Tele-drop launches for a combo (basically default tele is like Ex-tele where Mileena flips off their face)
  • ExTele-drop now as armor
  • Mileena can delay/aim tele-drop which would land infront or behind her opponent
  • Mileena can cancel her fade into tele-drop
  • New Special: Mileena has MK9 Jade's glow

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
I was thinking about this yesterday regarding wake-up, a stealth buff of armour on wakeup would be lovely
go into training mode and try stuff it ;)
atm im trying to figure out if there were armor frames added or invincible cause so far i havnt managed to hit her so she flashes yellow but shes still going through everything haha

TheGabStandard

go into training mode and try stuff it ;)
atm im trying to figure out if there were armor frames added or invincible cause so far i havnt managed to hit her so she flashes yellow but shes still going through everything haha
If it can't be stuffed now then that would be beautiful. Sucks that I'm at work today, have to wait ages to try this new stuff out. Should have called in sick.

Tyrlix

Noob
Hmmmm, The Fade and Fade Towards have 22 frame start-ups. The Fade Away has 1 frame start-up. The Fade Away still feels slow as hell.

All the enhanced versions are like you can pretty much feel the fist on your face and still get away from the harms way.

Anseyf

Noob
I'm on PC and at work so sadly I can't test anything but the patchnotes state that:
Mileena (Ethereal) - Reduced the recovery on Vanish Away & Vanish Towards. Also allows for combos to continue afterwards.

If I read this correct the Vanish (Ex-DD2) is still the same?

Even with the enhanced versions being great the already steep meter-dependency leaves the question if Ethereal is still unplayable. That said I'm now much more optimistic for this variation.

Tyrlix

Noob
I'm on PC and at work so sadly I can't test anything but the patchnotes state that:
Mileena (Ethereal) - Reduced the recovery on Vanish Away & Vanish Towards. Also allows for combos to continue afterwards.

Even with the enhanced versions being great the already steep meter-dependency leaves the question if Ethereal is still unplayable. That said I'm now much more optimistic for this variation.
One thing thing that I noted about the Vanish was that if the opponent "hits" you while going to the Vanish it still counts as a block. Mileena doesn't take any chip damage if this happens. Grandmaster Chub-Zero's enchanted slide stopped on it's tracks when it connected the Vanishing Mileena and I was able to pull a full punish with 123 starter while SZ recovers from the slide.

I dunno what the frame things were before the patch (last time I touched Ethereal was when the game got released)

But the current frame data is:

Fade (DD2)
SU: 22 | ACT : 4 | REC: 21 | BLK ADV: -46 | HIT ADV: -46 | CANCEL: 0

Vanish (X-DD2)
SU: 12 | ACT : 2 | REC: 0 | BLK ADV: -13 | HIT ADV: -13 | CANCEL: 0

--------------------------

Fade Towards (BF2)
SU: 22 | ACT : 4 | REC: 15 | BLK ADV: -40 | HIT ADV: -40 | CANCEL: 0

Vanish Towards (X-BF2)
SU: 12 | ACT : 2 | REC: 1 | BLK ADV: -14 | HIT ADV: -14 | CANCEL: 0

--------------------------

Fade Away (FB2)
SU: 1 | ACT : 0 | REC: 46 | BLK ADV: -46 | HIT ADV: -46 | CANCEL: 0

Vanish Away (X-FB2)
SU: 1 | ACT : 0 | REC: 13 | BLK ADV: -13 | HIT ADV: -13 | CANCEL: 0

EDIT: Added the block thing.

Last edited:

TheGabStandard

Hmmmm, The Fade and Fade Towards have 22 frame start-ups. The Fade Away has 1 frame start-up. The Fade Away still feels slow as hell.

All the enhanced versions are like you can pretty much feel the fist on your face and still get away from the harms way.
Fade Away while listed as 1 frame start up is blatantly not that fast although I cannot say what the correct start up is.

I'm assuming the same that Vanish will be the same but will try it when I get back. While the changes make Ethereal playable she will be very thirsty for meter, especially when going in on the offensive

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
Ethereal now has a new true fifty fifty.

21 Ex Fade allows her to continue her combo netting her 36%

2~ex roll allows her to combo for 26% Both into her new hella advantage rodeo.

Last edited:
Not a mileena player but wanna know how you guys feel about after patch ethereal...always thought this was her fun variation but was pretty bad before patch lol