What's new

Question Escaping the Cross Jump in Punch

Dan

KomboMaker
Hi there fellas.

Last night I was playing offline with a friend and I had a very bad time defending myself against this tatic (X-JiP).

I couldn't punish or escape it without beeing hit about 90% of the time wich made me eat a 30% to 40% combo.

Most of the time I stood crounched, wich I realized was a horrible idea, because I couldn't punish the X-JiP with the d,FP or with d,BP.

Also, standing and pressing FP didn't work very well.

If I were playing with Kung Lao I could just Spin for that, or if I was playing Noob Saibot I could use the Upward Shadow Kick.

But with Smoke, the only "good" tatic against this x-jump in, was the Enhanced Shake. Wich costs a damn special bar, making it a situational and not a common solution.

I noticed that there's another thread for this subject at the Advanced Tatics Forum, but I want to hear what you guys do specifically concerning Smoke.

Many thanks in advance.

SZSR

Noob
Only :en Shake and :en Smoke Away are your only special move options. I personally like d+1 as my bro uses Kung Lao and i've gotten him with that a few times, but the timing is strict. If you do land a successful d+1 KT Smith NYC and TheSabiie found out that you can follow up combo from that anti-air d+1, where you can use Smoke bomb to make a combo out of it.

You have a few options.

The first one being the d1 anti-air into a smoke bomb combo: aa d1 dash d1 smoke bomb. If they are close enough you can sometimes get the d1 to land on their way up so they never make the crossover.

Second one is AA d4 which is pretty easy timing wise once you get the hang of it, plus you can follow up it a safe string like b2, 3, smoke bomb into your poke pressure.

Third option is a quick jump back kick or punch. Obviously you win some of these and you lose some of them, but when you do win you get advantage with Smoke big time. Off of a kick you get the air throw and off of the punch you can sometimes combo it into the smoke bomb for some nice damage.

Fourth option is the en shake and en smoke teleport.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Backwards jump + punch. That's all you have to do to escape pressure. You might eat the opponents jump punch 50% of the time, but at least you get out of there.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Something I use often...if you need a last-second option to escape crossup JP, jump just as they go to JP on the crossup. Knocks you back and it's hard to react to properly.

Dan

KomboMaker
...Second one is AA d4 which is pretty easy timing wise once you get the hang of it, plus you can follow up it a safe string like b2, 3, smoke bomb into your poke pressure.

Third option is a quick jump back kick or punch. Obviously you win some of these and you lose some of them, but when you do win you get advantage with Smoke big time. Off of a kick you get the air throw and off of the punch you can sometimes combo it into the smoke bomb for some nice damage.
How do you do the d4 without being hit? Do you hit him before he jumps or when he actually crosses you above?

Something I use often...if you need a last-second option to escape crossup JP, jump just as they go to JP on the crossup. Knocks you back and it's hard to react to properly.
This is what I started to do when I played against him with Kenshi. It worked very well and then he began to respect me more instead of abusing of the cross jump in. I'll try to see if Smoke's good also.

How do you do the d4 without being hit? Do you hit him before he jumps or when he actually crosses you above?
I use it to lower my hitbox when he is coming down. It lowers the hitbox enough that the jip does not connect. To be more specific it does not always hit, but it is fast enough to interrupt most of the follow up attacks once he lands. It does take practice to get the timing down properly.

Backwards jump + punch. That's all you have to do to escape pressure. You might eat the opponents jump punch 50% of the time, but at least you get out of there.
This certainly does work. Watching EVO I was amazed by ATL Redd's Lui Kang off of these air to air jump punches. When he went to cross up and the other person jumped back with a punch every time Lui Kang's punch landed he wsa able to dash up and do a combo off of it. Totally sick to take a 50/50 air to air jump punch and turn it into a combo when you win the trade.

Dan

KomboMaker
This certainly does work. Watching EVO I was amazed by ATL Redd's Lui Kang off of these air to air jump punches. When he went to cross up and the other person jumped back with a punch every time Lui Kang's punch landed he wsa able to dash up and do a combo off of it. Totally sick to take a 50/50 air to air jump punch and turn it into a combo when you win the trade.
Do you have the link of this fight?