What's new

Erron Black General Discussion Thread

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
Thoughts on EB? He looks good.
I think he might be the timeout god for this game lol. His throws and strings last really long.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
He looks decent , his gameplay is alright i love his throws and stand down rifle mode. Downside i think him loosing his big punches sucks.... overall 7/10

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Oh no, dbf input again

he looks realy cool tho
Oh, his command grab is equipable, not standard? Nice to know.

Anybody else scratching their heads about caltrops being replaced by ...acid? Where did that even come from? I don't even care if they reused the assets from mkx but if it's gonna do the same thing then give us the caltrops!
Caltrops prevented running so they are a little different.

He had the Tarkatan blade as a weapon in MKX. I personally think him using stuff he stole from people he killed fits. As his Fatality idk though lol.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Erron's definitely on my radar. Love his aesthetics, liking the look of his tools/gameplan so far. Really liked little things like his slide amplify being a straight up acid setup.

As for the Zaterran Acid thing, I'm actually into it. Erron's painted as thrillseeking Earthrealmer merc that's basically wandering around Outworld because It's Cooler. Scavenging and weaponizing elements of this foreign world as tools for his survival rather than just using mundane weapons adds to that characterization, IMO.

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I'm curious to why they chose the reptile move. Other than that I think he looked much cooler. He looks more like what I imagined in the comic.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Anybody else scratching their heads about caltrops being replaced by ...acid? Where did that even come from? I don't even care if they reused the assets from mkx but if it's gonna do the same thing then give us the caltrops!
I'm generally sad that they dropped so many of his old moves. The thing that shocked me most is not having a coin shot, I thought that was going to be a staple move for him. Having it in the Fatal Blow but not as its own move is kinda weird imo. Also weird how there's no sand grenade at all. The new stuff is cool, but I was hoping for some more of his MKX set to return.

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
I'm generally sad that they dropped so many of his old moves. The thing that shocked me most is not having a coin shot, I thought that was going to be a staple move for him. Having it in the Fatal Blow but not as its own move is kinda weird imo. Also weird how there's no sand grenade at all. The new stuff is cool, but I was hoping for some more of his MKX set to return.
Should be noted that in these 3-character kombat kasts they've been showing only two variations of each character rather than 3, so there's a significantly smaller portion of their move pool on display. For some characters even 3 wasn't enough to show everything, so who knows how many other tricks Erron has up his sleeves. There's no guarantee, but I def wouldn't be surprised to see coinshots, grenades, or pocket sand as variation moves.

Chuckyscookie

Here's to hoping.
Should be noted that in these 3-character kombat kasts they've been showing only two variations of each character rather than 3, so there's a significantly smaller portion of their move pool on display. For some characters even 3 wasn't enough to show everything, so who knows how many other tricks Erron has up his sleeves. There's no guarantee, but I def wouldn't be surprised to see coinshots, grenades, or pocket sand as variation moves.
I don't think they will. They were talking a lot about how the redesigned a lot about him and highlighted returning/similar moves. I think if these moves were their, they'd have shown them. They also spefically mentioned how the coin shots are present in the Fatal Blow, which to me sounded like they aren't their own move. But we'll see.

jcbowie

...more deadly than the dawn.
I'll be very interested to see what's cancellable and what isn't. Really hope he has a more extensive normal movelist than what was showcased.

Jhonnykiller45

Shirai Ryu
One of the things I really wanted him to have in MKX but didn't was dynamite. Glad they found a way to put it in here! I think his other Fatality is probably gone use it in some way.

Hara-Killer

Reverse Salt
instead of Acid , why not some poison from deadly giant snakes ? and bullets with poison too
and a poisoned knive , cmon a cowboy always uses a knife ...

ArcticTabasco

I wish I knew Kung Fu.
I might be the only person in the world who doesn't like Erron Black. Like, at all. :(

I never felt the cowboy aesthetic fit in and I don't dig characters with guns. I hated playing against him in X. All those 50/50's with tick throws felt cheap as shit, and it doesn't seem like that's going away this time either. :mad:

Lore and personality wise he's alright, I'll give him that. Although I'm not too fond of the "Who is this guy? Nobody knows!" - aspect. Then again writing supposed histories about what new characters were doing during the old games is often really awkward too, so it might be better this way...

I'm glad for anyone who wanted him back though. I got my own dude, so... ¯\(ツ)

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Erron looks badass as always, but, this time, even more funnier with that acid splash bomb, and those TNT hilarious animated project, rsrsrsrs :p

I'm kinda unimpressed with his moveset so far, honestly. The rifle's mechanics are interesting and the projectile parry seems good, but the rest of his specials were pretty dull in my opinion. Hopefully in the final release he'll have some more pistol or even dynamite based specials. Hell, I've never liked playing Gunslinger much but I'd gladly welcome Stand-Off Stance back if it means giving him some more zoning options. Also, who thought it was a good idea to bring back that stupid-ass 3,2 string?

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Fan the hammer strings had me popping off.

I really like their approach to him this time; still the same character, but different tricks.

Last edited:

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I'm late to weighing in on this character, but let me get going!

He looks super solid, but also very balanced. I'm glad his rifle is limited by a reload timer that keeps it honest as it adds strategy/depth and realism to the character. He's going to have to think about his zoning.

He doesn't need a lot of strings and I much prefer the idea of strings serving a more specific, nuanced purpose instead of adding a whole bunch/showcasing a bunch and only few are applicable.

His two hit kick and slammed fists string looks like his safe, staggerable neutral tool with tick throw attached so that looks solid/promising.

His classic punch string is back and a couple other cool gun strings. I like the seeming simplicity. The punch string having pushback on block was nice too, it seems to go with Erron's pushback/spacing them which is excellent.

I'm curious if his overhead kick is safe in this game since slide is unsafe. Slide looks super quick so probably useful for counterzoning the high projectiles.

The character has a nice blend of old and new. They also made clear there were a lot of things they DIDN'T show so we'll have to wait and see.

I hope that footsie tool gun shot and command grab are actually together in whatever variations they give us.

This is the best Erron has looked aesthetically and gameplay wise and his dynamite throw gives me life. I'm going all in on this character. I suspect Game Informer have their hands on his trailer and will be showing it off in due course. Beyond happy, but now it's starting to drag with the wait till release :O