What's new

Ermac's Loyalty

Hello everyone,

I've been reading the Mortal Kombat X comics in their published volume editions, and Volume 2, which contains Issues 5 to 8, came out this past October.

Enjoyed it immensely, however I do have one question: Ermac appears for the first time in the series, and he's serving Mileena. However in-game, we see he sides with Kotal Khan right at the beginning of Kotal's coup.

Volume 3, containing issues 9 to 12, will apparently come out April 2016, so instead of waiting I'm hoping someone can tell me if this potential continuity error is explained or not?

Thanks!

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I think he betrays Mileena at the beginning of the coup you mentioned, then sides with Kotal.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
The comic like the game jumps all over the place, Ermac is still loyal to Mileena in the comic as that takes place BEFORE he turns on her...to join Kahn.

It's just confusing for some people who haven't been following but it's all canon, Shawn already confirmed it.

Yes, the comics are canon, as is the game, which is why I'm asking if this is explained.

The comics obviously take place _after_ Kotal turns on Mileena. We see in a flashback in the game Ermac immediately sides with Kotal right at the start, so is it explained why he's serving Mileena in the comics when he's supposed to be with Kotal?

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
If I recall correctly, Ermac says she's not fit to rule and then supports Kotal after the whole Blood Island arc.

My poor main, all she had left on her side was Baraka. Both her sisters don't like her, her brother dissed her and sided with her rival to the throne and her father is dead. Will my main ever get her day in the sun? :(

Nausea

Soul Ascended
Yeah Ermac sided with Mileena when she was Outworlds Empress but after Kotal takes the throne, Ermac switches sides because Mileena is not fit to rule. Ermac's sole purpose is to serve Outworld and its ruler. I imagine the comics will catch up in due time! :)

Right, so I don't think some of you are getting what I'm saying. To clarify:

In the game, Kotal Khan is planning to rebel against Empress Mileena and has a secret meeting with Reptile and D'Vorah. Mileena catches them, walking in with Ermac, Baraka, and other Tarkatans and they fight. Kotal wins, dethrones her, and Ermac sided with Kotal at the start of the fight and pledged himself to Kotal after the fight.

This is the flashback sequence in Mortal Kombat X, D'Vorah's Chapter.

Years later the comics take place, Mileena has been broken free and is going about her rebellion, yet Ermac appears to still be with her.

This means that Ermac shifted his loyalty after pledging it to Kotal years earlier when Mileena was first overthrown.

Is this ever explained?

Or to simplify it even more:

Is it ever explained why Ermac is working with Mileena in the comics when he's clearly sided with Kotal Khan prior to said comics?

Rearawt

Noob
Cool, thanks. So there's either another story they could do there, or it's a big continuity error.
Yep. I'm really hoping for another run that maybe fixes that. But mostly I just want another run, I think there's already too many continuity errors and lore contradictions to see them both as canon.

Nausea

Soul Ascended
"Earthrealm warrior Kenshi, released us, and we are now free to chose our own destiny."
/maybe in mk11 =(
I've got a sneaking suspicion that Ermac's MKX ending might up being a path NRS choose to take with him. I hope and pray it is not the case as it rarely is with character endings but I can't shake this horrible feeling it's going to come to pass :'(

I doubt it
Keep in mind this is Mortal Kombat; no one ever stays dead. Mileena could get resurrected, this could have been a decoy clone that died (a trick her "father" used in the original timeline), etc.

I expect she'll never get her "day" simply because she's usually a supporting character. Based on some of the game's trailers though, I thought she might actually be more of a main antagonist in this game, but didn't pan out so much.

Yep. I'm really hoping for another run that maybe fixes that. But mostly I just want another run, I think there's already too many continuity errors and lore contradictions to see them both as canon.
Yeah, from the 8 issues I've read, there are various continuity errors. Both the game and comics are indeed canon though.

I'd expect the game to come first, then the comics. So any discrepancies between the two, the game is the correct one.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that Ermac's MKX ending might up being a path NRS choose to take with him. I hope and pray it is not the case as it rarely is with character endings but I can't shake this horrible feeling it's going to come to pass :'(
lets be honest MK universe sprawled too many characters over so many years, some great, some not so much, that it is almost physically impossible to give every character their respective screen time. whole time i was playing mkx i was dafuq. and i dont mean the bullshet overall story, storytelling or screenplay in general. i mean, the whole point of ermac being in mkx was just that, being in mkx, he was a goddamn henchman. he has like 3 lines in the entire game lol.
Time that newly introduced characters stole from core heroes clearly displayed itself in mkx. There was absolutely zero point in introducing shitload of new characters who had very little impact on story. Like, what the hell is purpose with Ferra Torr, his time could have been spent on Ermac for instance. Or do we really need the whole Cage family? LIke father, like mother, like daughter, while some of the coolest characters didnt even make into the game? No smoke, no noob, no cyrax, no sektor, no shang, no goddamn nightwolf, no kabal and what not. But hell, we god whole cage family at least.
Someone might say that NRS and Boon know better, but apparently they are not. And reviews clearly show it. Almost all reviews shit on story. And dont get me started about how they "know" better. Dont forget the 15 years of dark ages... knows better my ass. God im so pissed that there are so unoriginal and onedimentional characters like jacqui or torr instead of true mk heroes, be that good or evil.

lets be honest MK universe sprawled too many characters over so many years, some great, some not so much, that it is almost physically impossible to give every character their respective screen time. whole time i was playing mkx i was dafuq. and i dont mean the bullshet overall story, storytelling or screenplay in general. i mean, the whole point of ermac being in mkx was just that, being in mkx, he was a goddamn henchman. he has like 3 lines in the entire game lol.
Time that newly introduced characters stole from core heroes clearly displayed itself in mkx. There was absolutely zero point in introducing shitload of new characters who had very little impact on story. Like, what the hell is purpose with Ferra Torr, his time could have been spent on Ermac for instance. Or do we really need the whole Cage family? LIke father, like mother, like daughter, while some of the coolest characters didnt even make into the game? No smoke, no noob, no cyrax, no sektor, no shang, no goddamn nightwolf, no kabal and what not. But hell, we god whole cage family at least.
Someone might say that NRS and Boon know better, but apparently they are not. And reviews clearly show it. Almost all reviews shit on story. And dont get me started about how they "know" better. Dont forget the 15 years of dark ages... knows better my ass. God im so pissed that there are so unoriginal and onedimentional characters like jacqui or torr instead of true mk heroes, be that good or evil.
Yeah, many of the 3D era characters weren't that good (and it's interesting to see that they're all getting killed off in the comics), but they do have their fan base (Not me though, I prefer the Mortal Kombat II roster).

The thing about Story Mode in general is unless you're playing as that character at that moment, everyone else ends up being a jobber or henchman or whatever since the player character needs to "win." People seem really upset by this in Mortal Kombat X, but this happened all through the Mortal Kombat (2011) Story Mode as well.

Characters like Reptile, Baraka, Mileena, Ermac, etc. were all jobbers in that game. Heck, playable characters like Johnny Cage, Kitana, and Cyrax got beat up a lot too.

It's simply how the mode is structured.

In fact, most of the critics in this game's story were done in Mortal Kombat (2011), but people seemed to not mind as much. Power imbalances, jobbers, cheesy dialogue, etc. were all throughout the last game; the only thing it didn't have was new characters.

As to the new characters in Mortal Kombat X, well before the game launched I figured the game's story would primarily be to set up the new characters to replace some klassic characters in a future game (perhaps Mortal Kombat XI). Making the new characters similar to current favourites is a way to ease that transition in theory (obviously with mixed results here). Keep in mind Midway/NetherRealm Studios has been working with the klassic cast for about 25 years now. That's longer than some posters here have been alive. Midway wanted to switch things up by killing everyone off in Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and go with new characters for the next game, but of course they ended up doing Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe instead. Looks like they might be doing so now as many characters are dead, Jaquie could replace Jax, Cassie can replace Johnny and Sonya, etc.

Perhaps that's why I'm not salty at the game's Story Mode because I got pretty much what I expected. In my opinion anyway, the new characters here are far better than most of the 3D era new characters. I'll take Cassie over Cobra any day, for example.

Smoke, Nightwolf, and Kabal are in the game, just not playable. I've heard Cyrax and Sektor are dealt with in the comics. Noob is still a mystery.

Hexin_Wishes

Likes nerds with big ...
I doubt it
[YouTube link of Blasphemous Images Against the true Empress of Outworld]
I hate you.

Keep in mind this is Mortal Kombat; no one ever stays dead. Mileena could get resurrected, this could have been a decoy clone that died (a trick her "father" used in the original timeline), etc.

I expect she'll never get her "day" simply because she's usually a supporting character. Based on some of the game's trailers though, I thought she might actually be more of a main antagonist in this game, but didn't pan out so much.
Mileena will be resurrected, it's just a question of whether she'll be in next game or not. She's one of the most recognizable characters along with Kitana and the cast of MK 1. Signs point to Kiki and Liu doing shit in the Netherrealm so if she did legitimately die she could pop up there with Baraka and be all "Surprise Bitch!" to the haters.

In terms of "her day", I was being facetious. She was created as a villain and even though in the this timeline she's been toned down on the soap opera dramatics compared to the original timeline Mileena (though retaining that campy charm), she's still considered a villain.

Off topic, but I actually would love it if they gave her the Scorpion edit and made her a reformed villain. Antihero Mileena FTW!

The thing about Story Mode in general is unless you're playing as that character at that moment, everyone else ends up being a jobber or henchman or whatever since the player character needs to "win." People seem really upset by this in Mortal Kombat X, but this happened all through the Mortal Kombat (2011) Story Mode as well.

Characters like Reptile, Baraka, Mileena, Ermac, etc. were all jobbers in that game. Heck, playable characters like Johnny Cage, Kitana, and Cyrax got beat up a lot too.

It's simply how the mode is structured.
But MK 2011 was HIGHLY criticized for what you said. No one gave it a pass for it but it was less of an issue becausethe story was actually not that bad overall and the finale was satisfactory for many. The story and ending of MKX is almost unanimously panned because of what happens and a lot of the deaths irritated fans, I know quite a few people did not agree with the decision to force D'Whorah upon us as the new HBIC villain by having her kill two iconic MK characters.

Regarding jobbing: The problem was the lack of character development resulting in the character being Nothing more than a jobber. Do we still know anything about Reptile or his motivations?

Noob was mentioned in the comics wasn't he? Someone references Kuai's brother and he speaks of him like he's not dead.

@Hexin_Wishes Oh I agree, Mileena will be back, we just need to wait and see when and how. I personally hope they don't do the Revenant thing with her though. Liu Kang and Kitana are not Quan Chi, so perhaps they do not know how to create more.

I'd also be cool with her as an anti-hero. I actually really like what they've done with her in Mortal Kombat X and the comics; far less "crazy."

Interestingly, the only Mortal Kombat (2011) Story Mode criticism I've really seen was the Sindel moment at the end; not much else and certainly not towards the level of Mortal Kombat X. All I ever saw in general was huge praise for the Story Mode, both in design and execution (for Mortal Kombat (2011)).

For Mortal Kombat X, as I said, I believe NetherRealm is indeed going in the direction of wanting to do more with new characters instead of constantly the same ones over and over again. Thus, the deaths. D'Vorah is actually a great character, they did excellent work with her and she fits nicely in with the cast. Same with Kotal Khan, for example. I also didn't mind the "wonder kids." Erron Black and Ferra/Tor are out of place in my opinion.

I don't know what HBIC means though.

In terms of the deaths, again, it does make sense in the direction they're going, but we all know no one stays dead forever in this franchise.

Reptile is, and always has been a servant. His motivation is to serve and stay alive. I wouldn't be surprised if reviving his race are his real motives though.

I think you're right. Wasn't someone mentioning that to Sub-Zero after he was freed from Blood Magic?