What's new

Enhanced Ground Pound Cancels/Mix-ups

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Enhanced ground pound can be dash cancelled before his fist hits the ground. This sets up some serious mix-up potential if you have the meter to burn.

Notation after the enhanced ground pound is to input a dash. Note that diagnals register as the dash as well. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. I really want to do well at Evo this year, so people PLEASE SHARE YOUR CRAP! We're outgunned as is against these top tier characters

One setup is after the pound, input f,df+2. This will cancel it into instant uppercut. This is done more consistently if you backdash cancel and do b, b, d+2. Cancelling into f,uf gives you instant jump forward. Likewise, cancelling into f, df, F+2 gives you instant dash punch. I'm still experimenting. Use your creativity and we'll start digging for setups right now.

Is this broken? Not really. He's burning bar like crazy. But Jax isn't using his enhanced moves outside of his dash punch (which hits like a tank, so there's no need to really burn it if you got this)

DrDogg

Noob
It's nice that you can cancel it, but I see this as more of a gimmick than a valid strat. Maybe I'm just not seeing what you're seeing, but here's my take on it.

The first time you do this to someone good, you can catch them with an uppercut or some other anti-air or air-to-air option. Most people jump forward when they see Jax going for ground pound.

However, once people see you can cancel it, instead of jumping forward, they'll jump straight up or just interrupt Jax with an attack. EX Ground Pound doesn't have armor right?

Also, I think I'd rather save my meter for Jax's x-ray since it's unblockable and has armor.

I've actually used it across the screen to bait out long range X-Rays/teleports, but I doubt that'd really work on anyone who knows it's cancellable. And seeing as you can't chain into Ground Pound (or can you?), its use in mix-ups is pretty meh; most people will try to hit you at that point because it takes too long, even if dash-cancelled. It seems the best uses for Jax's meter are his X-Ray and the corner EX Ground Pound OTG loop... maybe the EX Dash Punch as well.

I can see it as a wake up set to get a guy with a back breaker when he jumps.

There are uses for it I think but burning a bar to try and get a back breaker or DB + 1 isn't economical. I haven't really played any high level players yet but I don't think Jax builds meter fast enough for low damage gambles.

However, this tech will go into the rollodex.

Gotcha

Noob
Like rage said, the most ur gunna get out of cannceling ur groundpound, is to get them to jump wich can be a back breaker (10%) or if there close enough a Gotcha grab (12%) 'but if your close enough to get off a gotcha grab from canceling ur Ex groundpound, there probally just going to hit you'.