What's new

Emerald Defender Match-Up/Tech/Strategy Discussion

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
MU List

Updated the list and added some notes. WIP.
Also taking "Glow reliance" into consideration as the concluding number to avoid confusion. As well as the opponents ability to play around her Parry.

Changes:

Cassie: Bad to Even
Erron Black: Bad to Positive
Frost: Bad to Very Bad
Jax: Good to Even
Kabal: Bad to Even
Kotal: Good to Even
Liu: Very Bad to Bad
Sub-Zero: Very Bad to Bad

Baraka
(Marauder)
(Bone Picker)
4-6
/
Added Damage/risk reward,
Jade can play this at mid-max range
Cassie
(Digital Soldier)
(Yaas Queen)
5-5
/
Cassie beats Jade up-close, Jade beats her zoning.
Glow Reliance
Added Damage/risk reward & has better mid-range tools
Cetrion
(Spring Cleaning)
(Force of Nature)
6-4
/
Has Teleport, loses zoning
Glow Reliance
Added Damage/risk reward
Glow really messes with Cetrion, she has to keep the uptime of this in mind, because as you said, she can't use her specials on block.

Large factors for why Cetrion wins this imo:
  • she has a teleport, so while she loses her zoning.. so does Jade.
  • this makes Jade playing her more favorable in mid-range, Cetrion does not outrange Jade but...
  • Cetrions f2 is a better footsie tool than Jade's B1 or B2 meaning...
  • Jade wants to be up-close to use B3, Cetrion will not be facing a 100% uptime Glow on Jade and gets better stagger/mix and damage potential (Cetrion has no non-KB launchers, but she can punish Jade more than the other way around... and she gets to restand. Jade is mostly looking at 2:1 in terms of getting damage in, Cetrion is one of the better non-exceptions in this).
Overall, Jade does alright in this MU, it's similar to the Kitana/Erron MU where projectiles matter SO MUCH for them Jade still gets to use HER projectiles, which is huge. I just think Cetrion can work around most these options better than most.
D'vorah
(Buzzed)
6-4
/
Better neutral, stronger pressure
Locks Jade on the ground
Glow Reliance
Erron
(52 Kard Pickup)
4-6
/
Extra Damage/mix reward, forced to zone
Glow reliance
Erron loses a lot of tools here, while thats true for Cetrion and Cassie (or Sub, Liu etc) as well, they have a better time dealing with it and don't let Jade get the space to use Glow.

It makes sense in that Jade can force Erron to come to her, where the ranged normals are actually beatable by Jade (for once) or go into unfavorable risk/reward situations (f32, f4, slide), his fwddashblock is awful and projectiles are telegraphed enough for Jade to react to. Also I'm not sure how Erron deals with her Airgame, I don't think he does at all.

This is one where Glow shines, where mostly you're just gonna get knocked down for it. And IAirRang to control range3-4 and not get blown up by anything. In fact, he can't unless Jade commits to very unsafe stuff (like shadow kick, F2, b12, low spark.. they don't win the game here anyway), her Parry works here too (his JiP and Lows suck as well!)
Frost
(Ice Machine)
7-3
/
Jade has to respect Frost everywhere
Has to approach
Safety / Damage reward
Geras
(Infinite Warden)
(New Era)
6-4
/
Jade has to respect Geras at any range, but can utilize Airgame fairly well
Added Damage/risk
Jacqui
(1st Round KO)
(Next Gen)
6-4
/
Added Damage/risk reward, Hurts Jade throw-game
Jade has to outzone, can use Airgame, but loses up-close and mid-screen.
Jade
(Jaded)
4-6
Jax
(Hunker Down)
(Grinning Barret)
5-5Can zone out, play mid-range
Glow reliance
JC
(Shock Jock)
(Show Stopper)
5-5
/
Seem very identical in nature (Pressure in exchange for Airgame)
Kabal
(Clean Cut)
(Mean Streak)
5-5
/
Better overall,, added mixup/damage but has to approach
Glow reliance
Kano
(Ripper)
(Dirtbag)
4-6
/
Jade can play anywhere, makes Kano approach
Kitana
(Fan Fare)
(High Born)
4-6
5-5
Seem very identical in nature.
Kitana has better normals, but loses zoning/Airgame
Glow reliance
Kollektor
(Back in the Pack)
(Spare Change)
4-6
/
Jade can play this everywhere
Kollektor has a teleport but loses neutral and no threat on his projectile
Kotal
(Ascension)
(Totemic)
5-5
/
Jade can play this at mid/max-range, but has to approach
Added damage/risk
Kung Lao
(Hat Tricks)
(Lotus Fist)
6-4
/
Better overall, have to play their game
Locks Jade to the ground, respect his jumpins
Liu Kang
(Luohan Quan)
(Wu Shi Legend)
6-4
/
Better overall, have to play their game
Glow reliance
Noob
(Dark Sabbath)
(Seeing Double)
6-4
/
Has top punishment, damage/risk reward
can’t jump(/stagger) on Noob
Raiden
(Thunder Wave)
(Raijajin)
6-4
/
Has oppressive teleport, have to play their game
Glow reliance
Scorpion
(Reborn)
(Searing Rage)
7-3
7-3
Absolutely ridiculous
Has to respect Scorpion everywhere
Extra Damage/risk reward
Does more Chip damage than Jade can punish him for -_-
Shao Kahn
(Risen Emperor)
(True Kahn)
5-5
/
Seem equal but near opposite in playstyle
Shao can dish heavy damage punishes, strong AA and many tools to close distance
Skarlet
(Heart Pierce)
(Blood Drive)
6-4
/
Has oppressive teleport, have to play their game (approach)
Beats Jade zoning (loses Glow)
Jade has strong rush down on Skarlet once she gets in
Sonya
(Ring Master)
(No Holds Barred)
7-3
/
Absolutely ridiculous
Better overall and more...
Can’t jump, can’t zone
Extra Damage/mixup risk
Sonya: Up-close (imo) this character is busted, mid-range 12fr projectile, mid/max-range Bomb drop (whatever its called), controls space/Airgame, safe mixups that go into restands.
Sub Zero
(Dead of Winter)
(Thin Ice)
6-4
6-4
Mixup/throw reward
Glow reliance

Very good: 0
Good: 6
Even: 7
Bad: 11

Very bad: 4

28/49 | TBD: 21

Character-specific / Tech / Strategy

Anti-wake-up U3B3434 pushback
Baraka XYes and in the corner !
Cassie HopYes
Cetrion XYes
D'vorah XYes
Erron XYes
Frost D3 (not recommended)No
Geras XYes
JacquiXYes
JaxLate f4 / HopYes
JCXYes
KabalXYes
KanoXYes
KitanaXNo
KollektorXNo
KotalXNo
Kung LaoXNo
Liu KangD4No
NoobD3/D4No
RaidenLate f4 / HopNo
ScorpionD3Yes
Shao KahnXNo
SkarletEarly f4 / d3 / d4Yes (but loses to Parry)
SonyaHopYes (but loses to Parry)
Sub ZeroXYes

Anti-Wake-up: option beating opponents wake-up U3 (i-frames), can special cancel OS

Jade backwalk speed: Relevant for zoning MU's

Shadow/Nitro Kick KB Requirement: Jade can use her Parry freely without it interrupting the Kick-KB requirement

Female/Male (punisher): Jade can launch with 43 -RangAMP (13fr high) against females (works vs -14 on block, close-range)
B3434 Pushback: on crouchblock, Jade can chain b3434 (if opponent does not flawless block or (can) backdash afterwards)

Tournament footage

Combo Breaker 2019 Matches Video Footage

Archived:

With CB coming up (and increase of derpy up-play), I wanted to share my current stance on ED match-ups,
Before anything else, this is based on (tournament/stream) footage and my own (online, about 1000) games. Trying to take into account players' (early) skill level/decision-making.
And also... I'm prepared to be wrong, I think in order to be better players, more (educated) opinions on this is productive for competitive-play for everyone, so feel free to speak out, if anything this could be a good reference to debunk any misconceptions or improve the MU.

I consider these important deciding universal MU-factors, I apply them to each one:
  • Jade's top strength is her Air Game. Inherently this is weaker vs characters who counter Airprojectiles or jumps altogether (and obviously, good for those few who can't)
  • 9/25 characters have teleports, this directly interferes with her playstyle. Versing zoners, her distance closer lacks threat (long recovery/high) making her need to use both Glow and Shadow Kick in tandem, reactionary. Leading to ->
  • She has no safety from range2, has no safe specials. Also, therefor, can't cancel unsafe strings into safety, or safely poke-special.
  • A redeeming relevant quality is her good backwalk-speed. This DOES mean she's more reliant on her defense than her offense. Leading to ->
  • Out of viable variations, Jade's damage potential is the weakest out of the entire roster. This factors in on (every, but more so male) opponents risk/reward mitigation regarding punishes.
List here:

Baraka 4-6Despite Added Damage/risk reward, Jade can play this at any range.
Cassie 6-4Cassie beats Jade up-close, Jade beats her zoning.
Glow reliance
Added Damage/risk reward & has better mid-range tools
Cetrion 6-4Has Teleport, loses zoning
Glow reliance
Added Damage/risk reward
D'vorah 6-4Better neutral, stronger pressure
Locks Jade on the ground
Erron 6-4Extra Damage/mix reward, forced to zone
Glow reliance
Frost 6-4Jade has to respect Frost everywhere
Geras 6-4Jade has to respect Geras at any range, but can utilize Airgame fairly well
Added Damage/risk
Jacqui6-4Added Damage/risk reward,
Jade can outzone, use Airgame, loses up-close and mid-screen.
Jax4-6Can zone out, play mid-range
Glow reliance
JC5-5Seem very identical in nature. Pressure in exchange for Airgame
Kabal6-4Better overall, have to play their game
Glow reliance
Kano4-6Jade can play anywhere
Kitana5-5Seem very identical in nature.
Kitana has better normals, but loses zoning/Airgame
Glow reliance
Kollektor4-6Jade can play this everywhere
Kollektor has a teleport but loses too many other tools
Kotal4-6Jade can play this everywhere
Kung Lao6-4Better overall, have to play their game
Locks Jade to the ground, makes Jade respect jumpins
Liu Kang7-3Better overall, have to play their game
Glow reliance
Noob6-4Has top punishment, damage/risk reward
can’t jump(/stagger) on Noob
Raiden6-4Has oppressive teleport, have to play their game
Glow reliance
Scorpion7-3Absolutely ridiculous
Has to respect Scorpion everywhere
Extra Damage/risk reward
Does more Chip damage than Jade can punish him for -_-
Shao Kahn5-5Seem equal but near opposite in playstyle
Shao can dish heavy damage punishes, strong AA, but loses presence mid/max range
Skarlet6-4Has oppressive teleport, have to play their game
Beats Jade zoning (loses Glow)
Sonya7-3Absolutely ridiculous
Better overall and more...
Can’t jump, can’t zone
Extra Damage/mixup risk
Sub Zero7-3Better overall ... and more
Sub can mix here risking the least punish potential out of the entire cast
Glow reliance

"Better overall" meaning similar toolkit. range, safety, mids, pressure, mixups, presence, hitconfirmability etc.
"Added damage" meaning already high damage converted into a restand .. or strong oki.. throw-game. General advantage after the damage.
"Glow reliance" [9/24 MU's] meaning while Glow is up, the MUs sways more favorably. (I mention this again, because of the way it has to be used. For some MU's it becomes a useless tool that gets you killed,)

Very good: 0
Good: 5
Even: 4
Bad: 11

Very bad: 4

Last edited:
Cool base, honestly I'd put most at 55 but here is one match up to start with. I appreciate the effort put into at least looking at match ups instead of blanket statement of character strengths.

Cetrion
If she throws a boulder you get glow, if you land hits you also get glow. What does glow do, it immunes all of cetrions moves except vines Which is really punishable. You have taken away her safe string ender with wall amp.

You can punish her low stagger hard and universally without making a read. You have better footsies because of that.

If they mess up instant air beam you can punish with shadow kick at jump range.

Damage ratio is fairly even here, but Jade's up close game is way better than cetrion.

I just fail to see cetrions options. She can teleport but eats d meter to get to a range that's useless to her. She can try regular teleport on reads to your zoning but that will get blown up hard with little commitment. Typically after glow you are just walking in.

Curious why you would even consider this in cetrion favor. I'd say even at best but most probably advantage Jade.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I disagree with Baraka being in Jade's favour. F44 shuts her down and leads to everything, stopping F4 does nothing for Jade and leads to nothing. Baraka gets in once, he's in. He touches you, you're 50% hp down. You have to successfully keep him out, can't glow but need to because his projectiles are pretty oppressive and he's allover you. He touches you twice you're dead. You have to keep hitting him over and over.

Same with Jax except his ranged work sucks so he's a bit less of a threat but it's still not in her favour.

Last edited:

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
@AK Harold
About Cetrion... Good points made,
Glow really messes with Cetrion, she has to keep the uptime of this in mind, because as you said, she can't use her specials on block.

Large factors for why Cetrion wins this imo:
  • she has a teleport, so while she loses her zoning.. so does Jade.
  • this makes Jade playing her more favorable in mid-range, Cetrion does not outrange Jade but...
  • Cetrions f2 is a better footsie tool than Jade's B1 or B2 meaning...
  • Jade wants to be up-close to use B3, Cetrion will not be facing a 100% uptime Glow on Jade and gets better stagger/mix and damage potential (Cetrion has no non-KB launchers, but she can punish Jade more than the other way around... and she gets to restand. Jade is mostly looking at 2:1 in terms of getting damage in, Cetrion is one of the better non-exceptions in this).
Overall, Jade does alright in this MU, it's similar to the Kitana/Erron MU where projectiles matter SO MUCH for them ("Glow Reliance" CAN turn a losing into a winning MU), Jade still gets to use HER projectiles, which is huge. I just think Cetrion can work around most these options better than most.

@GLoRToR
ngl, I feel like I'm being generous with some of her MU's...

Baraka eats Jade up-close buuuuuut
  • Baraka HAS to come in... Jade has one of the better backwalk speed (which is being severely underutilized for and against all characters). This is really transparent gameplay where he doesn't get many options.. Technically, Jade could play mid-range vs Baraka forever, but once he gets in... it gets really ugly. Which brings me to:
  • up-close she gets access to Baraka-specific b3434 'tech', not a big deal if you can flawless block, but it's her one and only string, and she gets an added bonus here
(on a sidenote: Barakas projectile is to be reacted with Glow, she can get it out fine in this MU... But it's also not that important)

Feel like Jax is the same way, and I've yet to lose a single set to Jax players... and I'm not talking trash Jax-players.. I think he has it rough in this MU..
It still applies, y'know, 2:1 on damage... until there's a justification (its not her Airgame) for this, Jade is always at a certain disadvantage.

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
I don't think Cassie, Jacqui, and Sonya are that bad as listed.

I'd say Cassie/Jacqui are more of a 5-5

And Sonya more of a 4-6. You can keep her out rather effectively and her zoning doesn't matter at all with glow.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
@Geoffmeister
F44 literally disables Jade's backwalk safety with its current range and utility in conjunction with his damage. He really shuts Jade down and has an easy time blockwalking in. Anytime she does something unsafe or negative within footsie range, F44 is pretty much guaranteed and since it's 0 risk all reward, he has the upper hand in this matchup in my opinion.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
@STB Sgt Reed
I could see Cassie... I could even slightly see Jacqui... But Sonya... oh no ... no no no ..... no.
Cassie: Better footsie tools, reliant on her projectiles
Jacqui: Better footsie tools, better mid-range, better distance closer
Sonya: Up-close (imo) this character is busted, mid-range 12fr projectile, mid/max-range Bomb drop (whatever its called), controls Airgame, safe mixups that go into restands... If this is a 4-6 in Jade's favor, then some serious fundamentals are being neglected. I'll lab her a bit more extensively, but I feel like I've seen enough already

@GLoRToR
under range4, you'd be right. Practical scenario: from mid-range use AirRangAMP, glow up, and keep going in and out of range4, make him jump/block with Jade's low-projectile, whiff-punish with B2-nitro kick, rince repeat. Once you get him in the corner, keep him there, capitalise on B3434 pressure and don't overextend. Not saying it's easy, but the plan works.

Last edited:

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
@STB Sgt Reed
I could see Cassie... I could even slightly see Jacqui... But Sonya... oh no ... no no no ..... no.
Sonya: Up-close (imo) this character is busted, mid-range 12fr projectile, mid/max-range Bomb drop (whatever its called), controls Airgame, safe mixups that go into restands... If this is a 4-6 in Jade's favor, then some serious fundamentals are being neglected. I'll lab her a bit more extensively, but I feel like I've seen enough to not be wrong here...

@GLoRToR
under range4, you'd be right. Practical scenario: from mid-range use AirRangAMP, glow up, and keep going in and out of range4, make him jump/block with Jade's low-projectile, whiff-punish with B2-nitro kick, rince repeat. Once you get him in the corner, keep him there, capitalise on B3434 pressure and don't overextend. Not saying it's easy, but the plan works.
Pretty much how I play the matchup with the difference that I bait F4 and beat it with low projectile then force him to deal with f21/f1.low, and I don't let him breathe or regain his space with 212 and b3

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
@STB Sgt Reed
Sonya: Up-close (imo) this character is busted, mid-range 12fr projectile, mid/max-range Bomb drop (whatever its called), controls Airgame, safe mixups that go into restands... If this is a 4-6 in Jade's favor, then some serious fundamentals are being neglected. I'll lab her a bit more extensively, but I feel like I've seen enough already

@GLoRToR
LOL I definitely wasn't saying sonya was in Jade's favor. Sonya is ABSOLUTELY busted in that she can dominate up close and with zoning (no character should be oppressive with both) But Jade can effectively end her zoning minus drone drop (which I hope they patch into it having projectile properties as it should). So Sonya has to come to Jade. Which is why it's still Sonya's favor because she also excels up close.

I was saying it's slightly better for jade than your 3-7. IMO

@Geoffmeister

I think you overvalue cetrions teleport heavily, when only gets use from a read.

F2 string is punishable all day by Jade to full combos. So she loses that and footsie war not the other way around.

It's not reliance it's dominance. You can play without glow if you want. But when you can just react to her zoning with it, it isn't a matter of if it will happen.

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
@AK Harold
I think I don't LOL... Many scenarios where Cetrion can take the neutral, just because of that TP.. and she gets to TP further away or out the air.. Glow is not free here and not "dominant" but a "necessity" imo.

What you said about f2 is interesting though:
F23 is -10
F23<gap>4 is -9
With Glow up, you could expect the third hit to come out more often, but Jade can respond with 212 catching the gap or punishing.. and it'll stuff a Tendril Pull special-cancel as well. That really puts a dent in that string.

There's still Cetrions f13, or her b32, and she can still stagger f2 adapting to Glow duration...

I'll add MU-disputes to the OP later on. I still think Glow makes this even at the very best, she's a monster and even more versatile than Jade.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
If anything, I would have thought that Cassie would struggle against Jade, or at least in the Digital Soldier build. I'm not sure if Glow is able to work against AMP Energy Burst in her Yaas Queen variation.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I think Cassie is actually even with Jade. Cloaking actually plays a big role in the match because Cassie has to get closer while Jade is able to play her game effectively. Even in the air, it keeps her shielded from the zoning. Cassie's B3 gets her close & it's safe on block. It's a risk, but if she's in the air she uses it just to get her closer to react to Jade when she does an air projectile (grounded and in the air) & not really to just whiff punish. Upglow kick stops her before she jumps in the air with a projectile too. Basically, Cassie doesn't want her to escape her anywhere from close to mid range. She can react to cloaking before it comes out, but the reality of it is she's still going to use it in some shape or form. So she has to be the one walking her down instead. A lot of people even try counterpicking with Jade against her.

Sonya I actually think is even on paper but like 6-4 in Sonya's favor when played out. Her drone drop gets her in closer and she can't just up and zone with Jade unless she doesn't cloak herself either. Yeah I understand that Sonya hits hard with good mix and that drone drop hits her out of cloaking, but if played correctly (on paper), Jade does seem to hold up fairly decent in terms of neutral.

I agree Scorpion beats her though 100%. I just don't know if I'd give it a 3-7. Seems a little bit harsh.

I agree with Kitana too.

You make good points though.

Last edited:
Try 2 mb glaive and convert harder. If she teleports she gains nothing, she is next to you and negative. If she is just poking raw f2 in footsie she can't confirm combos but you can which means you win. If you can do things in reaction to an event it's free. It's the same as anti air, if you practice enough people cannot jump. She literally cannot zone. Her other strings get rekt by d4, d2, f4, B3 and specials.

I think Cassie vs Jade is definitely 5-5 if not 6-4 in jade's favor. Jade nullifies her zoning and stuffs all her footsies tools with disjointed hitboxes. Without the ability to b24 at whim Cassie loses a lot of her midscreen pressure.

I also see a lot of Cassie's asking for help with the Jade match up and even downright complaining about her.

I've been on both sides of it too playing both Jade and Cassie, but I could be wrong.

Also gonna have to disagree with Sonya and Erron.
Sonya is a lot easier to zone even with drone drop, it just means you cant go super ham.
Erron as well is more zone able than not, and his dropkick and slide are made harder to use with a crazy Jade jumping all day.
Definitely think those are 5-5.

Overall I think you underestimate Jade in a lot of these match ups, but just my opinion.

Last edited:

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Low gunshot Cassie is pretty even at worst. Charge Cassie is probably the variation that would push it in Cassie's favor. Being able to potentially advance quickly under air glaive is very useful.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Low gunshot Cassie is pretty even at worst. Charge Cassie is probably the variation that would push it in Cassie's favor. Being able to potentially advance quickly under air glaive is very useful.
Yeah that & B3 are what she uses to help her advance. PS I was pulling for you homie! You'll get them next time & we need to play sometime!

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
Just made an update on this list... Still WIP of course. But thought I'd post because my findings on her MU's versus the unanimous top-tier line up with what I had figured her out for. And why she is or isn't a good tournament solo pick, viability overall:

Out of the Current Top characters:
  • Jade does very bad against 2 (Scorpion and Sonya),
  • Jade does bad against 3 (Cetrion, Geras, Jacqui)
  • Jade goes relatively even against 6 (Baraka, Cassie, Erron Black, Jax, Kabal, Sub-Zero)
  • She holds up against mid-tier with minor exceptions
This means chances of procuring #1 major spots is a bit slim, given the popularity. A pocket pick should be mandatory for the 5 very bad MU's.

Thoughts? I know Jacqui is debatable, but the rest has a clear contrast in difficulty there.

Last edited:

Hot_DNA

Noob
Raiden absolutely destroys me...I feel hopeless in that matchup.... I also feel pretty hopeless against Kitana in the Sai variation... The more I play against Scorpions, the better I get in the matchup but it is still brutal..Jacqui doesn't bother me too much

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Just made an update on this list... Still WIP of course. But thought I'd post because my findings on her MU's versus the unanimous top-tier line up with what I had figured her out for. And why she is or isn't a good tournament solo pick, viability overall:

Out of the Current Top characters:
  • Jade does very bad against 2 (Scorpion and Sonya),
  • Jade does bad against 3 (Cetrion, Geras, Jacqui)
  • Jade goes relatively even against 6 (Baraka, Cassie, Erron Black, Jax, Kabal, Sub-Zero)
  • She holds up against mid-tier with minor exceptions
This means chances of procuring #1 major spots is a bit slim, given the popularity. A pocket pick should be mandatory for the 5 very bad MU's.

Thoughts? I know Jacqui is debatable, but the rest has a clear contrast in difficulty there.
Anyone that can establish and maintain a life lead over Jade is not a winning matchup for her. At best even, but I believe that having to guess right 15 times while the opponent only has to guess right 3 times to off her, is NOT a 5-5.

Nice Analysis! Personally, I think the Jade/Noob matchup is 5-5. Noob's teleport, unlike scorpions, is reactable, so unless you're pressing buttons when you shouldn't, it's not too much of an issue. Also, Noob can't open Jade up and has to come to her; he only has one overhead that's at the end of a string. If Jade plays patiently, and walks in and out of Noob's low/high combo string range, there's not that much Noob can do to punish her. Jade can also bait out teleport a few times and make Noob players afraid to use it outside of a combo.

*edit: there's not that much

Last edited:

Geoffmeister

PS4/EU Ermac main
@Hot_DNA Raidens stupid with that Teleport, a good thing to do is make him bait out Light Cell, Jade can actually F2 punish this. Besides that, you don't get to use projectiles outside of range3.
Kitana High Born, haven't had too much exp with her yet, but the Teleport is a free D2 punish, she's -2 on her dagger cancels (with 13fr as her fastest mid/low). Baiting out Ass and b231 (on whiff) will get you good results (so that means you wanna establish the threat of Glow first).

@Phr4nk it's just pushback, and it only applies to Baraka, anyway the b3434 can be chained into another b3434 (if Baraka crouchblocks and doesn't FB) in the corner.

@Sundown Thanks! I disagree though:
Both his Teleport and AirSickle can counter her AirRang pretty confidently, also has 2 amazing AA's that shut down Jade jumpins. These should (and can) be used reactionary..
Biggest factor, though, (and it's not something I see Noob players do very often), is that Noob gets access to a 9-frame RANGED launch punisher. We have the weakest vs the strongest damage output here, this speaks on how many neutral situations she has to beat Noob or who gets to capitalize more on punishable options.
Noob has a pretty useable forward dashblock, stagger potential that Jade is not gonna challenge with her d4 or even b3. gets a lot of tools he can counter Jade with, and losing his sub-par projectiles doesn't hurt much, in terms of neutral tools he goes pretty even.

Definitely a losing one for Jade, but I wouldn't say it's as bad as (for example) her Cetrion MU. There is a lot more honest neutral play involved.

@GLoRToR
I mean.. You're not wrong (just exaggerating lol).. I still think this is a valid weakness, but there are neutral situations she simply "wins" (because of the defensive utility of jumping and backwalk creating space.. or even just the threat of it). I try to factor that in, even though it's immeasurable potential that many rightfully wouldn't pick over having average damage, giving her that will undoubtly make her too strong, a character with a tool that negates a big fundamental mechanic (like projectiles) doesn't deserve to be much better than she is right now.. I think that's just fair balance design (look at Subzero Ice Clone).

While 5-5 isn't usually enough to pick a character, I think she may be a good enough counterpick (for Cassie, Erron, Baraka, Kabal, Sub) as I don't know how they deal with the rest of the cast.
And while she does have this uphill struggle, people need to know this MU (which isn't as straightforward as most), with the most MU knowledge from Jade ('s own perspective), it's easier to point out where she's losing (and the opponent isn't capitalizing). That'll change with time and probably explains why talking about Jade is so controversial atm.

5~ good MU's, 5~ bad MU's, 15~ relatively even MU's... Cetrion, Scorpion, Sonya... and every top player playing one of them. I don't think it's unfair! Just a bit unlucky with this current meta.

Maining Shertile anyway so biased motive is prob lost on me but hey, she's not as useless as she always used to be, she's probably the best example of how a balanced MK11 character should look like. Buff her, leave her be, I don't think either would be a bad choice by next patch. But I hope we all agree, it shouldn't be much.