What's new

Elden Ring (DLC Announced!)

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I never got an email saying I was or wasn’t chosen for the Network Test. Very weird… and frustrating. I know other than the content creators who not only have already played the Network Test, they got guaranteed access to the ones this weekend. For everyone else it was just a completely random lottery. It does sting a bit seeing people who either have never played a FromSoft game let alone any of the Soulsborne games getting codes and of course openly admitting they’ve never played any of them, or people who didn’t really care if they code a code or not ya know, getting a code. At the very least I wish they would have sent the rejection email. But I haven’t gotten a single thing from Elden Ring, Bandai, FromSoft, no one. And yes, I of course checked every possible folder in my email, even checked my sent stuff and drafts just to make sure there wasn’t somehow a glitch in the Matrix or some shit.

Anyway, just irritated and disappointed and wanted to vent a little. Congrats to everyone who got a code, have fun this weekend, and let us know what you think about the game after playing it!

Yeah I got nothing too, also the registration conclusion was a little confusing and wasn't clear if it actually worked or not.
That said, based on all I know about the game now, and how the test schedule is looking, I actually don't mind that I'm not going to get to try it right now because only getting 3 hours per night really doesn't sound satisfying at all based on the content I've seen.

I think it would just feel like blue balls, imo. Hopefully the open test later on gives us a longer play period or something. Also a PC test would be nice...

I'm suddenly way more hype for this game than I ever originally expected to be.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I'm just glad that gameplay is finally getting revealed and this game really looks like Dark Souls 4 essentially. That's not a bad thing but I was hoping to see a fresh take on core mechanics like stats, combat, and multiplayer being a new IP. The weapon arts / spells / summons/ skills seem really cool though.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Souls bois in here ?!!
Of course. I am the king of Souls games. Both PvE and PvP.

Speaking of PvP, need to mention invasions in Elden Ring. As of right now, you can only invade someone who has at least 1 summon. If you’re playing solo, you cannot be invaded, and subsequently, you cannot invade a solo player. I think there’s 2 viable ways FromSoft could compromise here:

1.) The best option to me would be having an in-game item, much like the “Dried Finger” from previous Souls games, that you could use and after using it, you would be able to be invaded if you’re playing solo.

2.) The alternative option is to have a setting in the menus. The setting would be something like “Allow Solo Invaders” and it’d be “OFF” by default. So you’d have to turn it “ON” in order to be invaded while playing solo

I think either option would be a win-win. It works out for the players who love playing solo but also love the looming threat of being invaded at any given moment. But it also works out for the solo players who don’t want to get invaded, as they have the option.

Another reason I see this as unfortunate especially for Elden Ring, is because I think there’s gonna be more people playing solo than in previous Souls games. Just something about the open world and the game as a whole having more of a focus on immersion than in ANY previous Souls-like FromSoft game. Like, yeah it’s lame I can’t invade solo players, but that’s not why it’s frustrating. It’s frustrating because I want to be invaded and I almost never summon. ¯\(ツ)

1.) The best option to me would be having an in-game item, much like the “Dried Finger” from previous Souls games, that you could use and after using it, you would be able to be invaded if you’re playing solo.
They're way ahead of ya; solo invasions are opt-in using exactly such an item which seems like the ideal setup for the game imo. Now nobody has to choose between stuff like offline mode or losing HP bonuses just to play undisturbed.

There's also an item that allows for an extra invader to join so it's a 2v2. There's also a dueling item and there will be an arena I think too.
Invaders themselves have a very cool new item that helps them reposition and tick to the host's general location as well.

We get to play how we want more than ever in this game.

I'm just glad that gameplay is finally getting revealed and this game really looks like Dark Souls 4 essentially. That's not a bad thing but I was hoping to see a fresh take on core mechanics like stats, combat, and multiplayer being a new IP. The weapon arts / spells / summons/ skills seem really cool though.
I think the freshness here is gonna be the game actually supporting more traditional RPG class types instead of just forcing everyone into melee roles.
Plus, the new weapon arts system is a total game changer, not to mention jumping.

Consult the diagram below for more details:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
They're way ahead of ya; solo invasions are opt-in using exactly such an item which seems like the ideal setup for the game imo. Now nobody has to choose between stuff like offline mode or losing HP bonuses just to play undisturbed.

There's also an item that allows for an extra invader to join so it's a 2v2. There's also a dueling item and there will be an arena I think too.
Invaders themselves have a very cool new item that helps them reposition and tick to the host's general location as well.

We get to play how we want more than ever in this game.
Wait are you serious? That’s amazing, lmao. I promise you I had no idea, BUT, I should have figured FromSoft wouldn’t have fumbled the bag on something that is (to me) so obvious.

That’s so fucking dope. Before I get too excited, do you mind linking the source?

If this is true what you say, what an absolute perfect way to do it. That is legitimately hilarious that the method I thought of that would be the best method of working this out, is the method they already are doing. That gives my heart a boner.

Now, all I gotta do is survive until this game finally comes out, lol. Also, I need to find a way to get my hands on a PS5. I’ve been hunting for one for a couple of weeks now. I want to play Demon Souls (the only Souls game I have never played. Also have played Bloodborne and Sekiro, I just never owned a PS3 so I never was able to play Demon Souls. And once I heard the remaster/remake was coming out, I knew that I wasn’t going to play it until I played the remastered PS5 version). Anyway, I want to playthrough Demon Souls well before Elden Ring drops. I don’t want to play it close to release so that I don’t get too used to Demon Souls gameplay.

Anyway, thanks for this info, you literally eliminated the ONLY gripe I’ve seen/heard/read with this game, lmao!

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
So from everything I've seen from people playing the network test, enjoy this list of key gameplay items below. I'll be excluding the online stuff as Mr. Whale has explained that well already above.

Weapon arts are back, but are items instead. Generally only limited to specific weapon attack types (slashing, piercing, etc.), weapon art items can also grant separate scaling types to the weapon they’re tied to. Unsure if this means crafting weapons into specific damage / scaling options is gone, but it at least means builds wanting to utilize a specific weapon damage type / scaling are no longer inherently limited to a small pool of weapons. Weapon arts are either used sword + board (shield arts) or two-hander (weapon art).

The maiden grants access to the mount. Mount can double jump, speed up with a sprint via using stamina, allow attacking while riding (melee, ranged, AND magics), and can be resurrected with a life flask usage if killed. Mount feed can be crafted to heal it if need be. Mount is not available in online play, be it co-op or PvP. Mount’s double jump helps to avoid fall damage. Big wind pillar things are available in certain areas to launch you and your mount up to nearby clifftops. Getting knocked off the mount is effectively a death sentence as you have a solid 4-5s animation of writhing on the ground before getting up, all the while being susceptible to damage and enemies doing an execution attack on you.

Character now has a multi-foot-vertical jump. As part of the open world aspect, platforming is greatly encouraged and designed around. Jumping attacks are also present and appear to be fantastic at breaking enemy posture. The distance the player can fall before taking fall damage is WAY further now.

Dark Souls 1 style poise is back, though it appears to be balanced around having Dark Souls 3’s backstab specificity so no autopiloting through hits to cheese your way to a free backstab.

Crouch stealth is here from Sekiro instead of the usual Dark Souls “walk as slowly as possible towards the enemy” stealth. Will be a vitally important gameplay aspect considering large groups of enemies can be common.

Magic is split between miracles (faith) and spells (intelligence). There are pyromancy-esque magics reminiscent of past Dark Souls games, but pyromancy doesn’t appear to be a separate thing and instead is lumped in with miracles or spells (unsure which). Many magics can be charged just like attacks, resulting in things like bigger AoE, better damage, etc. at the cost of no additional FP.

Summon items are now available to bring in one or more monster enemies to fight by your side. Only 1 can be equipped at a time and they’re only usable in specific areas, such as boss fights, dungeons, and notable overworld encounters.

Life and mana flasks are back from DS3, and there’s also a third flask that can be found. It does nothing inherently, but there is a type of items that can be combined together to craft onto the empty flask for unique effects. One example noted in the network test was combining a heal and an explosion effect, resulting in healing yourself then immediately losing a bunch of life to the resulting explosion directly around yourself (does considerably more damage to enemies than to the player). Clearing large groups of enemies or large enemies (like giants) will replenish your flask charges so no worries on your exploration being constantly stunted by having to return to a Grace (definitely-not-bonfire).

Dual-wield power-stancing is back from DS2. Only limitation is that the two weapons need to be the same weapon class (assuming two swords, two axes, etc.?). Twin blade is also back from DS2.

There are various mini-dungeons strewn throughout the world, all having a miniboss and treasure reward at the end. These appear to be the most consistent source of weapon arts, magics, and unique flask crafts.

Successfully blocking an attack with a shield or while two-handing gives a short window for a counter-attack. These counters appear to do great damage, but have a bit of a windup so be careful on bosses and in PvP.

Combat is very much focused on posture breaking like Sekiro. Parries, breaking posture, stunning / knocking down, etc. all can result in guaranteed critical hits and are integrated with all enemies (bosses included).

Leveling can be done at any Grace instead of having to go to a hub to speak to the obligatory waifu. Equipment load is now tied to Strength instead of a separate stat. Stats are Vigor (HP, Fire Resistance, Poison Resistance); Mind (FP, Focus); Endurance (Stamina, Physical Defense, “Robustness” [Bleed / Cold resist]); Strength (Damage Scaling, Equipment Load); Dexterity (Damage Scaling, Cast Speed, Horse Poise, Fall Damage); Intelligence (Damage Scaling, Magic Resistance, Spell Damage); Faith (Damage Scaling, Miracle Damage); Arcane (Luck, Death Resistance, specific spell shenanigans).

There's a Day/Night cycle in the overworld. Some monsters (like giant bats) are active/inactive depending on the time.

Rays of light will be present at Graces to guide the player towards the overarching main story path. This is definitely intended to help those who want to explore every inch of the world and completely forget what they were supposed to be doing after hours of exploring.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Okay, what system are y’all getting Elden Ring on? I’m trying just about everyday to get a PS5 (at retail price from a reputable source/company), and I’m confident I’ll have one before the end of the year. And at the very least I’ll have one before Elden Ring drops, so I’ll be getting it on PS5. I feel like the playerbase is gonna be the largest on PS5 as well.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Getting it on pc of course for best performance and cheaper price. plus the possibility of future mods.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Getting it on pc of course for best performance and cheaper price. plus the possibility of future mods.
Speaking of y’all getting it on PC, is the multiplayer for Elden Ring going to be cross plat? I haven’t really looked into it because it’s not that big of a deal to me, just curious if y’all know. @Trustful_Whale

I've heard nothing about cross plat for even PS4-5 let alone others, so it's highly doubtful.
Plus everyone is way too sensitive about us big scary PC cheaters that are 'literally' everywhere at all times for that to really fly imo.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
I've heard nothing about cross plat for even PS4-5 let alone others, so it's highly doubtful.
Plus everyone is way too sensitive about us big scary PC cheaters that are 'literally' everywhere at all times for that to really fly imo.
Well tbf, you never run into cheaters on console. Well, maybe once in a blue moon. And if you love PvP like me and quite a few Souls fans, it’s just not worth the headache tbh. Also, I know there isn’t “rampant cheating” on the PC, but if you run into lets say 1 cheater every month or even 1 every other month, compared to console, that will feel like A LOT at least comparatively speaking. But also, any streamer or content creator that is even remotely known, they will get stream snipe hacked in just about any genre of video games, so it appears like far more of an issue than it is. Regardless though, the last time I ran into a cheater on console was back in the xbox 360 days, lol.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Speaking of y’all getting it on PC, is the multiplayer for Elden Ring going to be cross plat? I haven’t really looked into it because it’s not that big of a deal to me, just curious if y’all know. @Trustful_Whale
I mean if BF2042 is launching with cross plat i don't see why Elden ring wont, it seems to be the general direction now is releasing every big title with cross plat.

Okay so quick heads up for everybody, an RCE exploit was found in Dark Souls 3 and identified to also be present in Dark Souls 1 Remastered, Dark Souls 2, and Elden Ring.
This allows any player with the knowhow to run code on your machine without permission. For PC this means sky is the limit. For those using Blue Sentinel/Acolyte on PC; it does not currently protect against this.
UPDATE: Blue Sentinel has now been patched to 1.30 to cover this vulnerability, so Dark Souls 3 should be safe on PC now.

Bandai Namco has been made aware of the issue.

If this does not get fixed by the release of Elden Ring I think everybody should probably stick to playing offline for the time being (this also includes any of the games aforementioned), and before anyone wants to say something smug about playing on PC vs Console, save it because it's exhausting to listen to and also this exploit can affect any machine, so nobody is technically safe from this.

Here's an example of it being used on a streamer; nothing malicious happened, but the context is this person has been targeting streamers in demonstration for Bandai Namco's attention, currently no malicious players are known to have this RCE:
STREAM LINK

Last edited:

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Okay so quick heads up for everybody, an RCE exploit was found in Dark Souls 3 and identified to also be present in Dark Souls 1 Remastered, Dark Souls 2, and Elden Ring.
This allows any player with the knowhow to run code on your machine without permission. For PC this means sky is the limit. For those using Blue Sentinel/Acolyte on PC; it does not currently protect against this.
UPDATE: Blue Sentinel has now been patched to 1.30 to cover this vulnerability, so Dark Souls 3 should be safe on PC now.

If this does not get fixed by the release of Elden Ring I think everybody should probably stick to playing offline for the time being (this also includes any of the games aforementioned), and before anyone wants to say something smug about playing on PC vs Console, save it because it's exhausting to listen to and also this exploit can affect any machine, so nobody is technically safe from this.

Here's an example of it being used on a streamer; nothing malicious happened, but the context is this person has been targeting streamers in demonstration for Bandai Namco's attention:
STREAM LINK

View attachment 18497
:laughing:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Updated the release date in the title/OP.

Here's an example of it being used on a streamer; nothing malicious happened, but the context is this person has been targeting streamers in demonstration for Bandai Namco's attention, currently no malicious players are known to have this RCE:
STREAM LINK

View attachment 18497
Yup, got a Discord alert in a couple of my PvP Souls channels mentioning this. Just another reason why I prefer console gaming. ¯\(ツ)

Maybe read more carefully. Not tryin to be rude but there's just so much humble bragging from console players everywhere so it was a simple ask.

Anyways, update: Bamco/From are aware and all Souls games are currently down on PC while they make their moves. This exploit is not public and the person who has it has been trying to get Bamco/From's attention and they finally are, so this is a good thing for everybody.

Last edited: