What's new

Elden Ring (DLC Announced!)

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Oh damn my bad didnt realize it was running at less than 60fps that is utter shite than and you have every reason to be super salty.

I would say you def should stop leveling and I know its hard when you literally are drowning in runes from side content. Don't worry about runes they are so easy to farm it makes them pretty much a non issue.

I did the same as you but I chose not to lvl up past 14 -15 before I fought margit. I did not want to waste points due to not knowing how many respec items you will get on a single play through. later I found they relatively plentiful not infinite though. I stayed at lvl 41 through ranni quest line which I believe 3 main bosses in to be able to fully complete.

I would say get to the point where you can respec and maybe rethink where you should allocate points if needed and go from there. Also depending on your build and items you can make them game drastically easier regardless of lvl to a point.

If you want a challenge try not to lvl until you feel like you have no other choice but at the same time no one wants to spend all day on a boss for internet clout except nerds.
Will do man, and I could care less about internet clout. Unless they wanna send me 60 bucks for my game I’m not using their made up rules lol.
I’m sure I’ll do a second playthrough, that will be when I do any weird stuff.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Will do man, and I could care less about internet clout. Unless they wanna send me 60 bucks for my game I’m not using their made up rules lol.
I’m sure I’ll do a second playthrough, that will be when I do any weird stuff.
I feel you man haha. You will have a blast once you beat margit and open up more of the world but be warned the amount of shit that will side track you will increase by 10 fold no joke.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Yeaahhhh I waited too long for Margit, he died from 15-20 ish hits, probably went a little overboard if Mad Pumpkin head has been my deadliest foe thus far lmao. Gonna do some main story till I hit a hard wall again

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Since everyone here plays fighting games, I definitely would recommend trying out PvP. Mainly duels, but invasions can be fun if you have a good invasion build and you’re decent at the game.

Anyway, there’s actually some FG fundamentals you can transfer over. Like footsies, whiff punishing, neutral, frame advantage/disadvantage, hit stun, etc etc. It might seem overwhelming at first, especially if you’ve never PvP’d in a Souls game before, but being a FG player definitely will give you at least a small a advantage.

Darth-Nero

Come Thunder! Come Lightning!
Been too busy to play this whole week, hope i'll be able to reach Melania before they nerf her too.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
What level do you guys recommend going to the academy in Lurnia? I was way over leveled for Godrick, absolutely spanked him and it was pretty anti climactic.

What level do you guys recommend going to the academy in Lurnia? I was way over leveled for Godrick, absolutely spanked him and it was pretty anti climactic.
I would just stop worrying about that entirely; the game is so large + the exploration factor you mentioned you're enjoying will inevitably result in your character being stronger than some of the game's content unless you hard throttle yourself on spending runes, which isn't fun imo.

Godrick is recommended at lv40 by FromSoft, but some players consider that over leveled still.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I would just stop worrying about that entirely; the game is so large + the exploration factor you mentioned you're enjoying will inevitably result in your character being stronger than some of the game's content unless you hard throttle yourself on spending runes, which isn't fun imo.

Godrick is recommended at lv40 by FromSoft, but some players consider that over leveled still.
Probably best to not worry about it, there is no wrong way to play a game I guess.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Played my first actual 1v1, no healing “duel”. My build still isn’t fully optimized for PvP, but just wanted to do a couple invasions before work. The crouch poke with Greatswords is insanely good. It’s fast, has good range, and doesn’t have long recovery. Plus it’s great for roll catching. That + Bloodhound Step makes the Greatsword really good in 1v1’s imo. Because you can do the crouch poke out of the Bloodhound Step as well. Oh, and that crouch poke also works REALLY well in PvE.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Probably best to not worry about it, there is no wrong way to play a game I guess.
Maybe to a point but you don't wanna play a game that is known for its rewarding difficulty and 2 shot every encounter with barely any risk of dying.

If your around 40 dont worry about it and only level up once you feel you got no choice. You can easily make it past 3-4 main bosses at that lvl if you invested your points correctly and have a decent weapon.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Maybe to a point but you don't wanna play a game that is known for its rewarding difficulty and 2 shot every encounter with barely any risk of dying.

If your around 40 dont worry about it and only level up once you feel you got no choice. You can easily make it past 3-4 main bosses at that lvl if you invested your points correctly and have a decent weapon.
Uh yeah I’m past lvl 40 too lol I’m just gonna go through the main story then for a bit. I think my weapon is pretty good, I’m using the bloodhound fang +5, I at least like it

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
Uh yeah I’m past lvl 40 too lol I’m just gonna go through the main story then for a bit. I think my weapon is pretty good, I’m using the bloodhound fang +5, I at least like it
All good as long as your not like 80 or something and only beat the first main boss you will even out once you get to the capital city.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Bloodhound Fang is sooo dope lol, I love its moveset.

As far as overleveled vs underleveled goes, don't sweat it too much since you really don't know until you square up against a boss and by then it's too late anyway unless you switch to a weaker weapon or something.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Bloodhound Fang is sooo dope lol, I love its moveset.

As far as overleveled vs underleveled goes, don't sweat it too much since you really don't know until you square up against a boss and by then it's too late anyway unless you switch to a weaker weapon or something.
I also used the Bloodhound’s Fang for awhile. Used it as a power stance weapon with the Dismounter. Power stancing weapons is super good, because you can still use the Weapon Art/AoW of whichever weapon you have in your right hand, but do a lot more damage especially on the jumping L1 attacks. Wish I could get another default Greatsword. I can power stance with my Greatsword and another type of GS of course, but I wanna PS two regular GS’s. Absolutely love this weapon.

I’ll eventually respec into a dual PS Katana Bleed build, but for now, kinda got a Guts cosplay going, lol. Plus with Bloodhound Step, I’m destroying everything in the game, and as I posted earlier, it’s also really good in PvP.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I also used the Bloodhound’s Fang for awhile. Used it as a power stance weapon with the Dismounter. Power stancing weapons is super good, because you can still use the Weapon Art/AoW of whichever weapon you have in your right hand, but do a lot more damage especially on the jumping L1 attacks. Wish I could get another default Greatsword. I can power stance with my Greatsword and another type of GS of course, but I wanna PS two regular GS’s. Absolutely love this weapon.

I’ll eventually respec into a dual PS Katana Bleed build, but for now, kinda got a Guts cosplay going, lol. Plus with Bloodhound Step, I’m destroying everything in the game, and as I posted earlier, it’s also really good in PvP.
Iframes on Bloodhound Step is really fun in PvE. I haven't PvPd like at all.

Ive been rocking dual greatswords powerstance jump attack spamming thus far. Started with the Claymore and Lord's Greatsword. Just picked up the Blasphemous Blade and I'm swapping that into my off-hand.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
What are y’all builds looking like? I’m pretty sure I still have a lot of story AND optional stuff left, but I already hit my personal level cap (RL 135), and it just got me curious what other people’s builds look like. Anyway, here’s mine:
I use different weapons, but my favorite so far is the standard Greatsword. It with Bloodhound Step is just too much fun and I like how it looks. Also been messing around with different armors. Was using the Banished Knight chest, then switched to Radahns, then Blaidd’s, then got the Scaled set, and that chest piece & cape goes pretty well with my Banished Knight helm. I always go for a mixture of good fashion but also good stats depending on my build. 59 poise definitely comes in handy, but I haven’t learned or looked up any of the poise break stuff yet for this game. My Greatsword attack seems to stagger most enemies, as well as most actual players, so for sure need to figure out all the poise breaks at some point. Anyway, the amount of armor and weapon options in this game are awesome. Just another thing that makes this game godlike. I WILL say though, that I think they maybe missed an opportunity with the “Alter Garments” mechanic. It’s only for chest pieces with capes, and you can alter them to take the capes off, which lowers the stats but also the weight. I think it would have been cool if you along with that, you could alter just the aesthetics of most armor sets. Like slightly different colors, accessories, etc. Nothing crazy, I just think it woulda been a cool addition imo.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
What are y’all builds looking like? I’m pretty sure I still have a lot of story AND optional stuff left, but I already hit my personal level cap (RL 135), and it just got me curious what other people’s builds look like. Anyway, here’s mine:
I use different weapons, but my favorite so far is the standard Greatsword. It with Bloodhound Step is just too much fun and I like how it looks. Also been messing around with different armors. Was using the Banished Knight chest, then switched to Radahns, then Blaidd’s, then got the Scaled set, and that chest piece & cape goes pretty well with my Banished Knight helm. I always go for a mixture of good fashion but also good stats depending on my build. 59 poise definitely comes in handy, but I haven’t learned or looked up any of the poise break stuff yet for this game. My Greatsword attack seems to stagger most enemies, as well as most actual players, so for sure need to figure out all the poise breaks at some point. Anyway, the amount of armor and weapon options in this game are awesome. Just another thing that makes this game godlike. I WILL say though, that I think they maybe missed an opportunity with the “Alter Garments” mechanic. It’s only for chest pieces with capes, and you can alter them to take the capes off, which lowers the stats but also the weight. I think it would have been cool if you along with that, you could alter just the aesthetics of most armor sets. Like slightly different colors, accessories, etc. Nothing crazy, I just think it woulda been a cool addition imo.
Got done with character 1 a couple weeks ago. Somewhere in the 170s for SL in the end. Bulky melee mage utilizing the Dark Moon Greatsword and more melee oriented spells (with a couple long range options to cheese the cheesy garbage the game likes to throw out often). Absolute blast of a character to play that took down all major bosses, including side ones.

Character 2 is going along well. In the 70s IIRC and is powerstancing bleed spears. Focused on Arcane scaling for damage. Outside of bosses / enemies that are hemorrhage immune, the build does stupid damage for minimal effort. Toss in the long attack range of spears and I've got a very fun style going on. Am kinda speeding through things to focus on experiencing stuff I didnt on character 1 (Lady Tanith questline, Rya questline, 3 fingers, Haight / Houx quest, etc.). Despite only 12 or so hours in, she's already up to the Mountaintop of the Giants.

If you havent tried powerstancing, do it. It's stupidly stamina hungry to focus on those dual hits, but man is it powerful. Makes for an extra fun time if stacking 1 status ailment on both weapons cause it builds up super fast (aka exploding bosses with bleed).

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Got done with character 1 a couple weeks ago. Somewhere in the 170s for SL in the end. Bulky melee mage utilizing the Dark Moon Greatsword and more melee oriented spells (with a couple long range options to cheese the cheesy garbage the game likes to throw out often). Absolute blast of a character to play that took down all major bosses, including side ones.

Character 2 is going along well. In the 70s IIRC and is powerstancing bleed spears. Focused on Arcane scaling for damage. Outside of bosses / enemies that are hemorrhage immune, the build does stupid damage for minimal effort. Toss in the long attack range of spears and I've got a very fun style going on. Am kinda speeding through things to focus on experiencing stuff I didnt on character 1 (Lady Tanith questline, Rya questline, 3 fingers, Haight / Houx quest, etc.). Despite only 12 or so hours in, she's already up to the Mountaintop of the Giants.

If you havent tried powerstancing, do it. It's stupidly stamina hungry to focus on those dual hits, but man is it powerful. Makes for an extra fun time if stacking 1 status ailment on both weapons cause it builds up super fast (aka exploding bosses with bleed).
Nice! Yeah, I started using powerstance pretty early once I remembered it was a thing. Powerstanced the Bloodhound’s Fang and Dismounter. Did so much damage for the level and point in the game I was at. But also have tried the powerstance with most weapons. There’s actually a pretty nasty powerstance dagger bleed build I wanna try, it looks pretty insane DPS wise.

I have been playing this for about a week and im guessing that I am still in the early game but this is game is absorbing all my time just in exploring the areas on the maps I have opened up so far. (I have just beaten Knight Loretta) This game is awesome. The only thing that is bad is the bloody hand enemies, they are freaky as hell and I am not going back to that area.

I am using Lordsworn straight sword and medium shield just to get a feel for the game before I want to try another type of build. (I susually do this in all solus games)

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Finally got the Rivers of Blood Katana. Didn’t actually explore the Mountain of Giants area, just ran past everything on my horse, even a couple of field bosses and many many enemies, grabbing graces as I went. Glad you can do that without having to actually fight anything (except of course the enemy you have to fight to actually get the Katana). It’s awesome, obviously. I actually gave it to my new character so I can play through the game with my Arcane/Faith build. And so I can PvP at lower levels instead of trying to invade people at level 135. Also, even though I love my first playthrough character and build, it’s definitely overleveled or at least was. Was breezing through the game not having to really worry about anything. Especially with the “infinite” HP heal with the helmets/masks (and to a lesser extent with the hp healing talisman. Same concept just takes waaaay longer). Only have to use the Estus/Crimson Tear Flasks in hard fights & boss fights where you can’t run away to do it, so get to preserve them. Not that it matters TOO too much since most boss fights there’s a grace nearby.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Powerstanced Whips > god
I tried this as the starting idea on my second character and it felt atrocious early game. Is it really all that good?

Also, even though I love my first playthrough character and build, it’s definitely overleveled or at least was. Was breezing through the game not having to really worry about anything. Especially with the “infinite” HP heal with the helmets/masks (and to a lesser extent with the hp healing talisman. Same concept just takes waaaay longer). Only have to use the Estus/Crimson Tear Flasks in hard fights & boss fights where you can’t run away to do it, so get to preserve them. Not that it matters TOO too much since most boss fights there’s a grace nearby.
Have you fought the obligatory infamous side boss yet? I was in the same boat on character 1 for a long time as he was so bulky, and I promise you won't be feeling your HP is too high against that boss.

I tried this as the starting idea on my second character and it felt atrocious early game. Is it really all that good?
I'm kinda memeing via Castlevania character a little bit but I do really like the whips in this game, and power stancing them is really good imo, especially the jump attack which tends to be enough to cause enemies to flinch and I tend to stunlock many of them using just this move. Single jump attacks are still also very good too. (tbh every attack has its purpose)

It's also a weapon that benefits massively from crouch poking. The main thing is whips have very good range in exchange for its speed, but the aforementioned attacks help with the speed problem.
Can't be parried (although also can't crit), can clip through geo to hit enemies, is a strike weapon, and makes the infamously annoying enemy types like dogs, rats, and flying things your bitch.
(Those psycho birds at Stormveil were never an issue for me, for example)

Just gotta put up with dealing less damage until your weapons are upgraded, but imo their utility make up for it.