What's new

Either modify Frost-Byte's Bomb range or modify Frost-Byte itself. I vote for the latter.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
I initially tried to make Frost-byte work but the shitty vertical and horizontal range of her bombs made setups near impossible to get consistently. As a result, her only combo extender rarely worked leaving Frost-Byte to suffer from weak damage compared to her Ice Machine counterpart.
A simple fix would be to buff their range but somehow I doubt NRS would do that since they really want the game to rely on footsies and avoid the never ending bomb setups we saw with Cyrax in the previous games (im guessing, who know what they were smoking when they made this character lets be honest).

My suggestion is to remove the Arctic Barrage and replace it with the Microburst.
After spending some time in the lab with this, I find that yes, she loses her ender, but what she gains might actually be better.
  • She wont be reliant on her bad ranged bombs to extend her combos anymore = more damage output
  • She can end her combos with BF2 instead of the Arctic Barrage.
  • "But Kindred, she loses a KB!" So what? It's not like the Auger Lunge KB ever occurs anyway so it's as though ice machine doesnt have a KB from a combo ender either and it's fine in that department. Not ideal but we all live with it and honestly, she has way more pressing issues than that anyway.
  • You can now end your more damaging combos with a perfectly placed bomb setup considering their shitty range. For example: B22~Microburst(amp) > J2 > B32D1 > 13~CloseBomb. In that scenario, if the opponent wakes up blocking, the bomb allows you to grab them so they get frozen (in many cases, the grab pulls them away from the bomb but not here). If they wake up with U3 or U2, they get frozen. Their only options if they know you are coming in for a grab is to (a) jump out or (b) wake up with a string that moves them forward and away from the bomb. Both options allow them to start their own pressure or combo. This means you both have to try and read what the opponent is going to do and respond with the correct option. If they mess up & you guess right, they eat a combo (how a setup should work) and if you mess up, you can get fucked too. Sounds pretty fair to me.
What do you you all think?

Last edited:
Bomb should not take 2 slots by any means, it's dogshit. Also, it should not replace db2 projectile. And of course, improved hitbox.

Then, my Frost-byte skillset would be:
  • Ice bomb
  • Artic barrage
  • Icequake

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
If we can make the bomb take 1 slot instead of 2, that would change completely the variation. It would realy be the ideal scenario

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
So Here are 2 matches where I tried out the variation. Must say I like it a lot. You get map control with the bomb and damage in case you dont freeze using it.
I realize it's like putting a band-aid on the severed leg that is this variation but here's hoping the patch brings some form of change

So Here are 2 matches where I tried out the variation. Must say I like it a lot. You get map control with the bomb and damage in case you dont freeze using it.
I realize it's like putting a band-aid on the severed leg that is this variation but here's hoping the patch brings some form of change

Try ending with b3d2, bomb instead of 13, bomb,

b3d2, bomb allows for unblockable setups:

-you can follow up d1 into throw for refreeze
-combo ender places opponent close enough that b3 catches those that know the unblockable setup can be beat by jumping out

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
If we can make the bomb take 1 slot instead of 2, that would change completely the variation. It would realy be the ideal scenario
you are on to something. if head bomb was 1 slot and arctic barrage was replaced with microburst and we had another move this variation could be something. i'd propose divekick be the third. i havent labbed it a lot but it would give some cyber sub zero mkx vibes, especially if the dive hit overhead from the air instead of mid. would give her a ice bomb mixup game and a launcher andwith ice bombs on the ground you wouldnt be able to neutral duck every time she'd mid or full screen away.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
you are on to something. if head bomb was 1 slot and arctic barrage was replaced with microburst and we had another move this variation could be something. i'd propose divekick be the third. i havent labbed it a lot but it would give some cyber sub zero mkx vibes, especially if the dive hit overhead from the air instead of mid. would give her a ice bomb mixup game and a launcher andwith ice bombs on the ground you wouldnt be able to neutral duck every time she'd mid or full screen away.
It would really feel like MKX CSZ if the bombs actually had better range. My initial main was going to be Frost with bomb and dive kick. Let me tell you, I abandoned that idea very quickly lol
The only way to make this work would be to have the bomb have more range and Dive kick be an OH. I doubt NRS would do this though. But if Bomb was one slot, we could have microburst as the second and something like Auger Lunge as a combo finisher. If they buff that move's KB so that it appears after you've enhanced it twice instead of 3 times, then we can have a very fun Frost on our hands :D
Of course this would go to the rest of her fixes from hitbox to a faster mid

Reactions: JSF

Jonovah

Noob
Hi y'all, new member, old lurker here. I've been playing almost nothing but frost-byte for over 2 months now. This is the best case scenario I got.

Kindred

Let Be Be Finale Of Seem
Hi y'all, new member, old lurker here. I've been playing almost nothing but frost-byte for over 2 months now. This is the best case scenario I got.
Sick, I like some of the setups you did.
Although, this NW player seemed to be new to the character and MU because he was constantly trying to press buttons out of turn