What's new

Ed Boon teases "big surprise" for Mortal Kombat coming in 2020

Iustinus

Deus Fulminatus
I think the reason the Kombat Kids failed wasn't because of the characters. It was because NRS refused to drop the characters these ones were meant to "replace".

I mean, seriously, Cassie, Takeda, and Kung Jin are essentially fan favorites. Jacqui isn't quite there, but her MK11 iteration has boosted her popularity. You can't convince me the wider playerbase wouldn't support these new characters as much as the old. As much as I love Johnny, Sonya, Kung Lao, Kenshi, and Jax, none of them are as iconic as Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Raiden, or Liu Kang. The casual audience (the vast majority of MK's playerbase) would probably barely notice.
I don't completely disagree, but part of the problem is that the newer characters are just younger re-skins. Why do I want younger female Jax, when I can have OG Jax? Sure, I think Jacqui is better in this game, but I'd still much rather have Jax himself if I have the choice.

Instead of breaking the mold, they just tried to slap a fresh layer of paint on it.

On another note: Kung Jin? Fan favorite? Maybe I'm out of touch, but he was insufferable.

Last edited:

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Neither the question nor the answer refer to mk11. He keeps saying "Mortal Kombat". So I definitely think it's something else. Either an Mk9 remaster, a new adventure game (he said in many interviews that he wanted to do one) or even a crossover with other franchise. Those would qualify as big surprises, imo. An adventure game would be refreshing, since I think nrs is getting a bit burnt out with their usual cycle and exploring a new genre would be good.

Imagine Johnny Cage and Jax not being iconic lol.

Kung Lao is almost there, people almost always associate bladed hats with “that guy from mk.” But they can never remember his name or confuse him with Raiden.
Where did I say they weren't iconic? I said they weren't as iconic.

Right, but if we're being completely honest, the vast majority of MK's playerbase is super casual players who remember the dude who shoots lightning from his hands more than the man with the sharp hat.

I don't completely disagree, but part of the problem is that the newer characters are just younger re-skins. Why do I want younger female Jax, when I can have OG Jax? Sure, I think Jacqui is better in this game, but I'd still much rather have Jax himself if I have the choice.

Instead of breaking the mold, they just tried to slap a fresh layer of paint on it.

On another note: Kung Jin? Fan favorite? Maybe I'm out of touch, but he was insufferable.
Kung Jin was definitely loved in terms of the actual gameplay of the character iirc.

I'm honestly still stunned Jacqui made it in over Takeda.

Where did I say they weren't iconic? I said they weren't as iconic.

Right, but if we're being completely honest, the vast majority of MK's playerbase is super casual players who remember the dude who shoots lightning from his hands more than the man with the sharp hat.
A lot of people think they are one in the same though.

Why KP2 would be a surprise ? I mean, we buy it, so it's not really a surprise, right ? At least I see it that way.

A surprise to me would be like... Free characters ? A new game ? A new ending to MK11's terrible story ?

It's probably something everybody expects like the PS5 port or something.

Hopefully we get a drastic reboot if the series goes somewhere else, MKX was great, but MK11 is already yet another MK9, would be cool to have more fresh material, new characters and plots.

Pretty sure it's about DLC or an entirely new genre though, we probably have some KPs to go through yet.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
Considering the leaks, it's probably an XL style upgrade. Add the kp2 chars, the leaked stages, Friendships, leaked Krypt Mode etc.

I hope so at least. I adored when KP2 came out for MKX, it almost felt like a brand new game with the new characters, stages and costumes

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
if they are tired of making mortal kombat games, ok be done with the franchise. And please don't release New MK games anymore. i hate this logic; " we should make a New MK cos 4 years has passed " if you follow this idea the result will be a dissappointment again. Yes MK 11's story mode, Krypt and tot are absolutely dissappointments.. i don't even put the hitbox,hurtbox or balance issues to the table cos it is heartbreaking. Here is my offer to Nrs; remaster all the klassic MK games and be done with the MK. if you have no more love inside it will become an unnecassary effort to do New MK game.

xKMMx

Banned
I don't think MK11 is the actual last MK game, they sell too well and people love the series so they aren't going to stop. It's just going to be the last one for a while and the end of the current story. With the way MK11's story ended, I'm assuming that a lot of things will be different in the next MK game.

But yeah, Ed has made some comments that makes it sound like they are done doing MK/Injustice over and over again. I remember the GameInformer Q&A video with Ed that came out a few weeks before MK11, he said something like "On a 1-10 scale we want to make a NEW game 9-10" or something like that. Pretty sure he also said that the studio was now comfortable and experienced enough to do something new. There was some other things he (and maybe other devs) said leading up to release that made it sound like NRS was tired of MK, and I remember thinking that was a really weird vibe to give off when you are trying to hype people up for a new MK game. It's was like "Hey guys, we are super tired right now and wish we were making something new, but we have a new MK game coming out soon. Please buy. Oh yeah, don't forget to pre-order for Shao Kahn. Bye."

I thought of that too, but it's not really a surprise. It's already been announced and people know about it, I think Ed has even talked about it on his Twitter. We know the cast, when it started filming, when it's supposed to be out, that it will be Rated R most likely, etc.
LOl hence the reason this game is dry AF!!!

It's not the movie. The movie has a 2021 release date, and it has been announced already, so why would the trailers be a surprise?

I think its the "XL/Legendary Edition" upgrade + KP 2. Or maybe an unexpected guest.

A new game doesn't make any sense considering that Injustice 3 should be out in 2 years and after that, they said they would take a break from fighting stuff.

"John Tobias" joins NRS and will take over the story and art for future projects.
Best news in Mk history.

I heard this from a friend that is a friend of a friend of someone who works at NRS

smoke420

Noob
3 fatailties per character would be sick .... shang announcer, but i bet its sektor and cyrax... they are the only players in this game that have tag assists moves.

Shania Twain

That Don't Impress Me Much
the big surprise is after this kombat pack is over they will release Ultimate MK11 and pull EVERY character like Armageddon. OH. and I want Rainbow Kombat from MK9 added as an option like an announcer. Even if they have to use the same fatalities. I don't care. OH and I want both Khameleon and Chameleon. I want the guest characters too. Hopefully they got the announcer voices to say Alll the names or they pay them to come back. OH and OG Shao Kahn Steve Ritchie announcer. OH and classic stages from MK9 like the dead pool ETC. They can easily make the Warrior Shrine, the Pit, ETC. none of this will happen. I mean. they can make it work. like if they add Sheeva she can have Goro and kintaro skins. or just use the Goro render from MkX idc. i'm breezy. oh and I want classic mk2 outfits for the lady ninjas. even skarlett. and MK3 ones too. and all the men need shirtless skins. I will allow the women to have more revealing clothes. and since they are into reskinning the same outfits with dif colors then we need more rainbow colors. OH and we need Terminator with his Jacket on without the shit like the OG movies.