What's new

ECT 2019 Top 8 Results and Breakdown

ECT 2019, the second to last event in the MK Pro Kompetition just finished up, and here's what went down for those who couldn't catch it.

As usual, hit the spoiler down below for the results. The top 8 going into it was:

Winner's:

EchoFox Sonic Fox vs. illusion Splash
bc Dragon vs. 1L2P Burrito Voorhees

Loser's:
CGL NinjaKilla vs. Coach Steve
Noble Kombat vs. ISG HeeyGe0rge

Things kicked off with Sonic's D'vorah against Splash's Kung Lao. Sonic took game 1 with a clutch anti-air grab read that got him a KB and a win. Game 2 ended with a near round 2 perfect for Sonic. Game 3 was another win for Sonic, who took the set 3-0 and moved forward.

Up next, Dragon's Cetrion was against Burrito's Geras. Making read upon read, Dragon took game 1 with a time-out. Burrito was on the verge of making an insane comeback, but Dragon was able to close out game 2 with a well-timed fatal blow combo. Dragon kept on going, winning game 3 and taking the set 3-0.

Over in Loser's, Coach Steve's Jacqui and Ninjakilla's Liu Kang. Ninja won game 1 and 2, despite a great fight put up by Coach Steve. Coach Steve almost mounted an insane comeback, but a whiffed dash punch cost him game 3. Ninjakilla won the set 3-0.

Next up was Kombat's variation 3 Shang Tsung playing HeeyGe0rge's variation 3 Frost. Kombat Reptile slid his way to a game 1 victory. Ge0rge returned the favor with a fatal blow game 2 win. Kombat swapped over to Johnny Cage after the loss, but Ge0rge was able to win the next game. Facing the end of his ECT run, Kombat bet game 4 on Geras. Ge0rge closed things out, the character swap not phasing him in the slightest and won the set 3-2.

Next match was Ninjakilla's Liu Kang against Burrito's Geras. Burrito had an insanely good round 1, but Ninja made a magic pixel comeback and dropped all of his KBs in round 2 for the win. Ninja took game 2 rather quickly. Burrito got a round in game 3, but Ninja was not going down, winning the set 3-0 and moving on.

Following that up was HeeyGe0rge's Frost vs. Splash's Kung Lao. A whiffed grab in the final round of game 1 resulted in a victory for Ge0rge. Ge0rge took game 2, narrowly surviving a whiffed grab himself. Game 3 came down to a fatal blow trade in HeeyGe0rge's favor, who won the set 3-0.

Back to Winner's, we had a match-up no one has seen before: Dragon vs. Sonic - Cetrion vs. Jade. Dragon took 2 confident rounds in game 1, and won game 2 with a 450+ fatal blow combo. Down 2 games, Sonic switched to Johnny Cage and finally got a game on the board. Sonic almost mounted a full on comeback, but Dragon kept his cool and won the set 3-1.

Playing to see who would fight Sonic in Loser's finals was Ninjakilla's Liu Kang and HeeyGe0rge's Frost. Ge0rge brought it down to the wire, but Ninja came out the victor game 1. Ge0rge got a round in game 2, but Ninja, once again, came out the victor for game 2. Ninja kept that pace going and won game 3, taking the set 3-0.

Getting back into his seat, Ninjakilla's Liu Kang was against Sonic's Johnny Cage (which sent Ninja to Loser's in the first place). A close game 1 that went a round a piece came out to a victory for Ninja. Game 2 also went to Ninja, on the verge of sending Sonic home and redeeming his loss from earlier in the event. Ninja decimated Sonic's health bar in game 3, hitting them for 700 damage in 2 combos, but Sonic mounted an insane comeback to stay alive. In the last sequence of game 4, both players were at a round a piece. Sonic dropped the game winning combo, but Ninja's punish with a fatal blow was blocked and counter-punished for the loss. The final game, Sonic was looking like a full on machine, going blow for blow against Ninjakilla and coming out victorious, winning the set 3-2 and moving on to Grand Finals.

In Grand Finals, Sonic pulled out a surprise Jax pick against Dragon's Cetrion. Dragon kept it moving from their match earlier in the bracket and took a solid win game 1. Sonic went back to Johnny Cage after the loss, and the decision earned him a game 2 victory. Dragon opted not to character switch the next game and Sonic continued his streak with another win. The final game went to Sonic as well, closing things out with a well-timed punish into fatal blow and resetting the bracket 3-1.

Game 1 of the new set continued with no character swaps. Dragon regained some control for game 1, returning rounds against Sonic but ultimately losing the next game. After losing the next game as well, Dragon turned to Highborn Kitana to turn things around. Dragon finally looked dominant again, taking game 3 without much trouble and Sonic immediately made the switch to Jade. The switch decided the set, Sonic Fox won game 4, taking the set 4-1 and earning the title of ECT 2019 MK Champion.

Comments

is that intended? the wakeup is a mid, should therefore hit a crouch attacking opponent, or not?

i would be rly mad if i were ninjakilla. such a dishonest matchup with the (soap bar in my mouth) hitboxes. maybe a pocket female fighter (eg jacqui) for next time.
See this is the thing that gets me.
Such a dishonest matchup omg, let's pick a female hitbox next time. That is LITERALLY the same dishonesty.

Cage has 12 of these dishonest matchups where ALL his buttons whiff.

Kang mains should be outraged by this dishonest matchup. But heaven forbid the cage main to be upset about the 12 ones, FFS CAGE COMUNITY CANCER ETC.

Matchups based on hitbox BUGS should not happen. The only one at fault here is NRS.

If we would all get together and shout at NRS that this is unacceptable in a high quality fighting game and for them to fix ALL THE HITBOX BUGS in the game, then we could have proper matchups and balancing.

But noooo. just fix it for Liu Kang please, he needs it.

Someone with Dragon's playstyle is never going to beat sonic fox in these tournaments. I really wanted to see Dragon against NK to see they'd fare against each other.
I'm not even sure if Dragon consistently places if Cetrion isn't in this game. It's like a picture perfect match for how he wants to play. But it's also his downfall, you gotta be able to counter pick in this game.
People have said that for years Dragon is carried by the char... mkx ,injustice2 and mk11 he is always top 3

Such a dishonest matchup omg, let's pick a female hitbox next time. That is LITERALLY the same dishonesty.

Kang mains should be outraged by this dishonest matchup. But heaven forbid the cage main to be upset about the 12 ones, FFS CAGE COMUNITY CANCER ETC.

Matchups based on hitbox BUGS should not happen. The only one at fault here is NRS.

If we would all get together and shout at NRS that this is unacceptable in a high quality fighting game and for them to fix ALL THE HITBOX BUGS in the game, then we could have proper matchups and balancing.

Please take a Xanax

People have said that for years Dragon is carried by the char... mkx ,injustice2 and mk11 he is always top 3
I have a very tough time believing he'd be top 3 in this game without a character like Cetrion in it. He's not carried, that has a negative connotation. He'd still be playing very well prob with Kitana but would not have these consistent top 3 appearances.

The most used characters were Kang and geras this should say something considering they have both been nerfed more than once and still they wreak havoc as if it never happened. Kang players disgust me. I have some respect for eternal players but new era and infinite warden are just

Changing just 1 completely broken OP move from 9 frame to 11 frame is not a nerf. Kang is still at the top. Every third player was playing Liu Kang.
If it wasnt for Sonic, another Kang player would have won the tournament.
4 or 5 Liu Kang players land in top 16.
Last 3 big tournaments was won by Liu Kang players.

Changing just 1 completely broken OP move from 9 frame to 11 frame is not a nerf. Kang is still at the top. Every third player was playing Liu Kang.
Only one Liu Kang made Top 8 out of 8 players, and he happens to be a loyalist and one of the absolute best players in our scene. Calm down.

I have a very tough time believing he'd be top 3 in this game without a character like Cetrion in it. He's not carried, that has a negative connotation. He'd still be playing very well prob with Kitana but would not have these consistent top 3 appearances.
OUCH!
Dragon is really talented...
no knock on Big D(great player) but he played Cetrion also and didnt have the consistent level of success that Dragon has
also can the on stream players hear the stream commentators in the arena? if so i wonder how much it gets in Dragons head to hear constantly that he's always 2nd place to Sonic...

Last edited:
Who cares it was an awesome tournament get those tears out of this thread pls.

i´m totally with u. it´s been like >=6 months since release and they still didn´t fix the hitbox issues against females (johny cage is not the only one who suffers here).
u could think that balance breaking issues like that are top priority.

i don´t like the counter picking on basis of hitbox issues as well, but that´s clearly what sonicfox did against ninjakilla and
it´s clearly an unfair advantage, especially on their level.
so, why shouldn´t ninjakilla fight cheap with cheap?

jc loyalists should be able to relate to ninjakilla/lk players and vice versa in this regard.

Dragon has the 2nd most prize winnings in Nrs history and has the most 2nd place finishes because of sonic.. He used to play rush down with alien, tanya but prefers defence style. He has the nack of making a char his style.. I do agree tho that cetrion fits him, but he has been a top 1-3 player since early mkx days 4+ yrs ago. He won 2017 e-league and evo and came in 2nd this yr. Dragon can learn a new char at a high level very quickly, that is why at the start of mk11 sonic and dragon were way ahead. Its is very hard to stay at the top.. Ninja killer will find that out. Sonic Dragon and scar are a rare breed

Dragon has the 2nd most prize winnings in Nrs history and has the most 2nd place finishes because of sonic.. He used to play rush down with alien, tanya but prefers defence style. He has the nack of making a char his style.. I do agree tho that cetrion fits him, but he has been a top 1-3 player since early mkx days 4+ yrs ago. He won 2017 e-league and evo and came in 2nd this yr. Dragon can learn a new char at a high level very quickly, that is why at the start of mk11 sonic and dragon were way ahead. Its is very hard to stay at the top.. Ninja killer will find that out. Sonic Dragon and scar are a rare breed
Ninja is part of that rare breed. Can’t look at him flawless blocking every other jump-in/crossup and micro-ducking half the staggers on reads for full punish and think that’s normal. Then you add his neutral on top of that.

The kid has something special and he’s earning his place with the best to ever play in our scene. It’s really a treat to watch.

OUCH!
Dragon is really talented...
no knock on Big D(great player) but he played Cetrion also and didnt have the consistent level of success that Dragon has
also can the on stream players hear the stream commentators in the arena? if so i wonder how much it gets in Dragons head to hear constantly that he's always 2nd place to Sonic...
Of course they can...he did beat Sonic to get into Grand Finals, he just can't consistently win when it matters...no use getting upset about facts the casters are doling out...

Also, Jade just won a tourney guys!!

Man, poor Dragon. This must have destroyed his morale, i feared this outcome when Dragon beated him in winners finals. Dude deserves to win already, his mental block versus Fox is becoming quite big

Man, poor Dragon. This must have destroyed his morale, i feared this outcome when Dragon beated him in winners finals. Dude deserves to win already, his mental block versus Fox is becoming quite big
I don't honestly think it's a mental block -- I mean, he's playing against one of the best fighting game players, period, that we've seen in a generation. Fox casually won DBFZ on the same day.

I'm sure Dragon understands that, and I doubt he's letting himself get depressed over it. Plus he's making money.

Last edited:
Ninja is part of that rare breed. Can’t look at him flawless blocking every other jump-in/crossup and micro-ducking half the staggers on reads for full punish and think that’s normal. Then you add his neutral on top of that.

The kid has something special and he’s earning his place with the best to ever play in our scene. It’s really a treat to watch.
I agree, but the mental grind you go thru at the top. dragon took a break sonic gets bored easy,Scar has talked about it before . its hard to stay at the top week in and week out once it becomes a job.

Look another rando from outta nowhere with strong opinions about stuff he doesn’t understand!

dude...you don’t even know that highs don’t whiff if you crouch block. Crouch block would be way overpowered if highs whiffed on a crouch blocking opponent. Neutral crouch exists for a reason.

You’re sitting here saying that Dragon wouldn’t be top 3 or at the top if not for cetrion and that’s bullshit and hate. Dragon has successfully played different character archetypes, he just prefers Cetrion’s style. Dragon made his name playing Kobu Tonya and a pressure oriented Kitana. Dragon’s footsies and defense are unreal, he’s a top player, period.