What's new

D'Vorah Revealed for Mortal Kombat 11

Lun

proud TERF!
Eh, whatever her gameplay style will be, I'll have to adapt and play her regardless.

I mean, I hate grapplers but I mained Bane in Injustice 2 and Abigail in Street Fighter V, because I liked the characters....

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
It's really not fun to go from a character you love that has a playstyle you really enjoy to the same character being a chore to play is all.

Even if WW was effective in I2, going from a rushdown goddess to a passive but very strong neutral character in I2 was not enjoyable for me in the slightest.

If they decided to turn D'vorah into a disjointed hitbox neutral monster with no real pressure to speak of, I'd be very disappointed. Fortunately, variations make the likelihood of that happening much smaller.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Realistically what will they keep?

We know they'll want to emphasize her stingers in neutral and her bugs for setplay.

Will the Venomous DOT stacks come back?

Will the Swarm Queen cancels and launching puddle come back?

Or will we be forced to play an updated Brood Mother? Only time will tell.

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Judging by how crazy Baraka's Chop Chop is to punish because he could stop at 3 points, I'm willing to bet that D'Vorah will have something similar, kind of like she had in Venomous.

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
I can't stand D'Vorah's heel turn in MKX. That ruined the character for me. Her loyalty to Kotal was such a unique trait for an Outworlder in Mortal Kombat. Everybody who ever served Shao Kahn did it with an ulterior motive. They wanted something in return. D'Vorah just seemed like she was really down for the dude, even though they weren't even the same race. Then out of fucking nowhere it's revealed that she works for the Brotherhood of Shadow? That was lazy writing at it's finest. There was absolutely no hint of this.

At the end of the MKX comics it actually looked like they were going to try and explain it. Reiko seemingly kills D'Vorah by ripping her in half and at the time I thought "Oh okay, so she dies, Quan Chi probably offers her a deal and brings her back to life" but nah. D'Vorah brings herself back to life and ruined any hope of her being an interesting character. She's just another power hungry villain, like everyone else who came before her. She's this timeline's Tanya.

It seems like Baraka is allies with Kotal though. I really like the angle they're pushing of a unified Outworld. Reptile was a big supporter of that too.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
There’s three routes we’ve seen them take with X newbies so far:

Cassie: Compele reinvention, her gameplay is pretty much entirely divorced from the last iteration.

Kotal: very functionally faithful to his previous incarnation. A bit remixed and improved with new additions and functions but about half of him is essentially the same in spirit and design.

Jacqui: her moveset is almost entirely changed, but aesthetically she’s extremely faithful to her previous design and has been completely improved and furthered down her set design path.

How do you guys want to see her done?

I don’t think any of you want the Cassie treatment, but the choice between a Kotal or a Jacqui route is a strong crossroads.

You could either have what you had but more, or something new but potentially better.

Samsara

Resident Cynic
There’s three routes we’ve seen them take with X newbies so far:

Cassie: Compele reinvention, her gameplay is pretty much entirely divorced from the last iteration.

Kotal: very functionally faithful to his previous incarnation. A bit remixed and improved with new additions and functions but about half of him is essentially the same in spirit and design.

Jacqui: her moveset is almost entirely changed, but aesthetically she’s extremely faithful to her previous design and has been completely improved and furthered down her set design path.

How do you guys want to see her done?

I don’t think any of you want the Cassie treatment, but the choice between a Kotal or a Jacqui route is a strong crossroads.

You could either have what you had but more, or something new but potentially better.
I just want her to be high execution pressure character that she was. I remember how sore my fingers were learning her. It was rough but it was the most rewarding experience I've ever had in fighting games getting those cancels down.

Gimme the Kotal treatment with the high energy gameplay of Jacqui.

98Greener

Greenlord Memelord
D'Vorah's default design from now on i guess:

They removed that original design with "antennas" from the site.
That does feel odd, but I guess they preferred this newer look. The antenna is most likely just another customizable varation you can select.