Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I think she should look monstrous, but somewhere in the middle like MKX

Votes: 22 19.3%
  • I think she looks appropriately monstrous now

Votes: 86 75.4%

• Total voters

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Lots of ppl on Twitter, etc. saying she is too uggo this time around and that she like the worst character ever for some reason. I think we should take a step back and realize what her role and appearance was in MKX and why MK11 is a natural evolution and improvement on that front.

MKX - TREACHEROUS, VILE, SASSY

ROLE -

D'Vorah was originally chief diplomat/ambassador to the Outworld throne under Mileena. When Kotal and the rest of the Osh-Tek arrive to overthrow Mileena, D'Vorah seizes her chance and betrays Mileena, killing Baraka (her only remaining ally after Reptile and Ermac defected) in the process.

Later in the story, when the kombat kids come to warn Kotal about the dangers/powers of Shinnok's amulet, D'Vorah accompanies Cassie to infiltrate Mileena's camp. D'Vorah makes short work of the Edenians and captures Mileena.

Kotal decides to betray the Earthrealm kids and keeps the amulet for himself, and has D'Vorah execute Mileena. While the chest containing Shinnok's amulet is being transported, D'Vorah kills the gaurds and steals the amulet from Kotal, betraying him.

When Quan Chi is being apprehended by Scorpion, D'Vorah helps Quan Chi complete his incantation before he dies, bringing Shinnok back to life.

APPEARANCE -

It seems the whole theme of D'Vorah is danger concealed under a veil of secrecy. Her main colors are black and yellow. These colors are associated with bugs (particularly bees, wasps, and hornets) and potential danger (caution signs, etc.)

Her body is covered in some kind of chitinous exoskeleton, with tattoos on her head and bizarre patterns on her lower back. She contrasts this monstrous appearance with some kind of bra/wrap around her chest with a hooded cape partially concealing her back stingers and wings. She also wears jewelry, black lipstick, and high heels. I'm unsure if she is wearing underwear it looks like part of her body.

MK11 - JUST STRAIGHT UP VILE?

It appears that a couple of things are going on here, I'll try and do my best to rationalize these.

1.) Nothing Left to Hide -

I think one of the reasons she is wearing less clothes this time is that Shinnok has lost and she has been outed as a treacherous insect. She is clearly no longer on the Outworld court and has no need to dress up and play nice any longer (bye bye lipstick and heels). I think this is most likely what she would have looked like on her island of bug people.

2.) Better Rendering Tech

She now has these new Hive like growths on her body that weren't there before (notice her shoulders). Her chitinous eksoskeleton is now noticeably more jagged and rough, and the black breaks in the design aren't there to emulate clothing but are clearly pores for the insects to travel inside and out of. I think the increase in technology allows them to realize her design further than they could before.

It also seems that her muscular/vascular systems are more exposed. She had this odd green-blue blood, and you can see these along her hips, inner thighs, and chest region. Her stingers are also clearly green where they were black or flesh colored before.

--

All in all I really dig her design this time around. I don't like the hair very much and prefer her bald, but she seems very unnatural, hideous, and dangerous this time around. Before she seemed like a somewhat sexed up bug lady. Now she's just all bug.

How do you guys feel about it?

stokedAF

casual kahnage
I like everything but the hair. I think that looks terrible lol. Her face seems and plastic weird but I’m sure it will look better in motion. The best part of the new design is the nests, I hope they are more than just show.

I liked her in the middle but I’m cool with monstrous if they ditch the shitlocks or make them a gear piece.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
She looks like a monster from Elder Scrolls and I dig it.

I hope she keeps the extra limbs in neutral. Give her Brainiac's S3.

pure.Wasted

'ello baby, did you miss me?
I'm not a fan of the whole "all female characters have to look sexy", and I think D'vorah's new look fits her perfectly.
I’m not a fan of the whole “all female characters have to look sexy,” but unless we’re dealing with a D’Vorah who has canonically been forced to change/adapt/“revert to her true self” as a result of Shinnok’s defeat, I do think she in particular should have stayed sexy.

Basically I’m either super in favor of or super against the redesign depending on what happens in the story.

Ill be that guy - i liked the prettier dvorah look better. The uggo monster is ehhh. I dont plan to use her either way since i didnt in mkx, but thats just my 2c

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
she looks very good ! she has more monstrous traits, but, still has some body curves , showing she is a "femme fatale" from her species, so, she kinda looks much more dangerous look now than ever ! D'vorah is a treachious, violent and cunning character, I thought she was great in MKX, doing what she was supposed to do in that story, so, yeah, she is welcome in MK 11. She is a nasty girl indeed ! :cool: :D

ImperatrixSindel

Too bad YOU... will DIE!
She was never sexy lol. Hey baby, nice thorax.
She was definitely designed to be a 'sexy monster girl'. I mean, she had feet shaped like high heels. Her markings on her face coincidentally looked like eyeshadow and lipstick. She has breasts despite being an insect rather than a mammal.

Like, there are a lot of ways to do 'bee person' that aren't also a hot goth girl in a cape. I'm not being critical -- I think D'Vorah is a great design -- but she was pretty sexed up for an insect lol

Looking at this concept art and this concept art I think it'd be goofy to pretend she wasn't intended to be alluring/sexy.

xWildx

What a day. What a lovely day.
She reminds me of Rita Repulsa from the new Power Rangers movie.

You know, except, as a bug.

We've seen one costume...so two bets:

1. This i "young" dvorah before she was more integrated into outworld society
2. There's going to be a sexy costume

Edit- I mean for crying out loud even kabal gets a looker costume

Last edited:

stokedAF

casual kahnage
She was definitely designed to be a 'sexy monster girl'. I mean, she had feet shaped like high heels. Her markings on her face coincidentally looked like eyeshadow and lipstick. She has breasts despite being an insect rather than a mammal.

Like, there are a lot of ways to do 'bee person' that aren't also a hot goth girl in a cape. I'm not being critical -- I think D'Vorah is a great design -- but she was pretty sexed up for an insect lol

Looking at this concept art and this concept art I think it'd be goofy to pretend she wasn't intended to be alluring/sexy.
I don’t see it lol. I can see how you would take it like that though, the make up, high heels and whatnot.

I think you are looking at it like she is showing skin but she’s not, that’s an exoskeleton. She has no reason to wear any clothes at all lol. The breast shaped shell was used to emphasize that she was a female. It’s not DOA volleyball jiggle madness but subtle.

She has a female figure for sure. I consider the female figure sexy but I don’t think they were trying to make her sexy. They were just trying to make the monster look female. That’s just my opinion though, not facts.

xXRagingFlameXx

I'm a bad bitch, you can't kill me
If you have a problem with a monster who's supposed to be a monster not looking sexy and are complaining about her not being sexy...

You a freak.

:rolleyes:

They clearly tried to make her look 'sexier' in MKX and I'm glad they dropped that. She's evolving! If she's gonna be a terrifying, evil, treacherous monster, show it!

Nerds need to go find a new spank bank that doesn't consist of otherworldly monsters in a video game. Y'all neeeeeeeeeeed heeeeeelllllpppppppp.

Anyway, I hope she has the same voice as the last game cause she did a great job and I loved the buggy noises. I also want her animations to look jerkier. Not in a bad way, but twitchy and creepy. SHE NEEDS TO BEE SCARY!

:DOGE

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Mortal Kombat is known for the horror. It's appropriate to have a few hideous monsters.

Again though, this might just be her younger version. I would just wait and see her other outfits. I'm sure she has one that isn't going to gross everyone out lol. ;)

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
IDK about the new look, but I don't think a poll is all that useful here.

I'm betting I played her more than any other character by then end of playing MKX. I really liked the way she looked. I don't think I would have ever boxed her into "Sexy" so I don't really see how that turned into a cornerstone of any argument, but sounds like maybe it did.

I'm not sure I would have any trouble accepting the look if I'd never seen another look before. I do tend to attach my history with a character to the way they look. You can't radically change the look and feel of a character, slap the old name on it and expect my brain to be totally fine with it. I had long running characters in KOF that I never was able to see in their KOF14 iterations and I ended up having to play totally different characters because of it.

There are some pretty strong redesigns in the works around this game and some of it is feeling weird to me. At some point you have to be able to march on, and you can't leave Sonya in a unitard forever, but I really felt the MKX look and feel. I'm struggling a little to see some of the characters within themselves right now. If Cassie doesn't end up looking like Cassie, then I may just not get over it.