What's new

D'vorah General Discussion

Where she needs helps is in fast punishes (Buzzed gets a one-time KB, otherwise there is little to fear unless you're -12). So something that comes from 12...

Hitting with ovi rush builds up charges. Spend those charges on KB when you do a 12 xx ovi punish. I'm not going to get funky about the effect, just do more dmg per charge.

If we were just buffing D'vorah in general, yeah, expanding her core kit would be the first step (whether it's Parasite or Deadly Swarm or even Fly). Right now she feels stripped down in every variation, while there's other characters who are complete without any variation moves.

...that and maybe finally fix F22 and F13 whiffing...

i think her ground puddle should get a KB. like, if you land a raw amplified puddle from max distance, give us a bigger pop-up or leave them in a stunned standing state swatting bugs away from themselves to give us a free dash and jump in combo from full screen. i use raw AMP ground puddles as a fun little surprise anti-zoning tool but it's never that rewarding

I also think her buzzed f22 KBs should be inverted, so that her f223 vs f22 d1+3 becomes a scarier mix. its also not infrequent for me to whiff f22 and then catch them from nearly full screen with the d1+3 ender cuz she jumps so far. but firstly they need to make f22 d1+3 not jump over people anymore

but overall yeah, she is still very frustrating to play in the mk11 meta because:

1. shes highly susceptible to down-poke mash without a fast mid

1. zoners eat her alive unless you use arachnophobia

1. her damage is really low-she can't even link any of her variations' combo extenders to a standing 1 punish.

4. low amount of reliable crushing blows

5. a lot of slow clunky buttons

She seems like a very complicated character to balance fairly though because she also has a lot of unique privileges availed to her... strepsitera pressure is crazy good, her throw KB is crazy good, her jumping 1 is unbelievably good, she has the best anti-air in the game, katipo rush gives her tons of easy chip and safety off anything. I think I might have heard that her d1 also may have the longest range for a d1 in the game.

FreshFromTheDeli

FrostFromTheDeli
So my hive friends, if you could grant D'Vorah one more KB for her base kit, what would it be?
I would say make the last hit on it's own of B34 cause a popup krushing blow. It can be a bit like Fujin's F31 Krushing Blow in the way it works but allows for follow up. This way it works in all 3 variations and allows for more damage.

I can understand why they didn't want to make D'Vorah more human and ridiculously hot...

But the yellow version of this skin doesn't even go with any of Skarlet's moves! Plus, it's Skarlet. Feels like such a waste.

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Can anyone actually do D'vorah b34 corner combos consistently? It's easier when spaced out in theory, but it still doesn't work well, to the point where I think there's another variable.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
So with the custom variations becoming a thing, does anything even really change for D'Vorah? A LOT of her variation specials will need notable buffs / changes to be worth anything so Deadly Swarm, Strepsiptera, and Widow's Kiss are the only viable options right now.

And before anyone says it: I guarantee you now that Mother Bug WILL be one of the banned moves. There's absolutely no way it's going to be allowed in ranked / tournaments, mediocre as it may be.

EDIT: thinking about it, at least the Buzzed shell will become much better by not having to be crippled by that horrendous Air Ticking Time Bug that has no purpose. Easily replacing that with Deadly Swarm.

Second Saint

So with the custom variations becoming a thing, does anything even really change for D'Vorah? A LOT of her variation specials will need notable buffs / changes to be worth anything so Deadly Swarm, Strepsiptera, and Widow's Kiss are the only viable options right now.

And before anyone says it: I guarantee you now that Mother Bug WILL be one of the banned moves. There's absolutely no way it's going to be allowed in ranked / tournaments, mediocre as it may be.

EDIT: thinking about it, at least the Buzzed shell will become much better by not having to be crippled by that horrendous Air Ticking Time Bug that has no purpose. Easily replacing that with Deadly Swarm.
Strep + Widow's Kiss is also a pretty big deal with the setups and damage you gain. She gets extremely plus unbreakable restands into more pressure, midscreen or in the corner for 260 midscreen, 300 in the corner.

And she even has a slightly higher damage corner optimal with [starter]~amp db3, df3, j3, delayed b34, 4~df2, though it does switch sides.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Strep + Widow's Kiss is also a pretty big deal with the setups and damage you gain. She gets extremely plus unbreakable restands into more pressure, midscreen or in the corner for 260 midscreen, 300 in the corner.

And she even has a slightly higher damage corner optimal with [starter]~amp db3, df3, j3, delayed b34, 4~df2, though it does switch sides.
I am interested in doing that combo, but someone else raised a good point that's it's VERY meter hungry. I'm sure it'll need to be played differently from Buzzed in that all your meter won't be going to Strep, but instead be used for Kiss with Strep being a complementary item. I will definitely miss my 370 damage grabs if I do this combo, though.

Second Saint

I am interested in doing that combo, but someone else raised a good point that's it's VERY meter hungry. I'm sure it'll need to be played differently from Buzzed in that all your meter won't be going to Strep, but instead be used for Kiss with Strep being a complementary item. I will definitely miss my 370 damage grabs if I do this combo, though.
I don't really see it being any more meter hungry than Buzzed, tbh. It wouldn't be the launches that change that anyways, since you already needed to launch to get an effective setup. The difference is not having the f22 enders to keep it safe, but fuck man, those haven't worked in more than half the matchups anyway right now.

Raider

Noob
I honestly feel like D'Vorah will be one of the few characters that will not benefit from custom variations at all. I highly doubt that they are buffing her, they are ignoring her and few other characters for so long. And i just don't see custom variations having any impact on D'Vorah sadly.

I'm excited for custom D'Vorah, but it's basically for Arachno with Strep (trade throw KB for Strep-provided safety and setups).

You need to wiggle your way out of blocked F22 without the Parasite options, but, uh, Parasite hopped over / got flawless blocked anyway.

Raider

Noob
Any sugestions for custom variations? I am playing Arachnophobia since day one so i really got used to it but i was experimenting a little bit today and tried: Deadly Swarm, Flippin' Out and Parasite. And i can say that this is not bad at all. This way you get acces to (i think?) all of her available Krushing Blows so damage potential is really big. You also get more mix-ups and much better 50/50 with KB attached to it. I feel like it's really strong. Any sugestions?

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Any sugestions for custom variations? I am playing Arachnophobia since day one so i really got used to it but i was experimenting a little bit today and tried: Deadly Swarm, Flippin' Out and Parasite. And i can say that this is not bad at all. This way you get acces to (i think?) all of her available Krushing Blows so damage potential is really big. You also get more mix-ups and much better 50/50 with KB attached to it. I feel like it's really strong. Any sugestions?
Sacrificing the safety of Katipo Rush just for a 7% damage overhead gimmick with Flippin' Out just is not worth it in my opinion. A bug-happy variation I suggest is Deadly Swarm, Parasite, and Strepsiptera. You're all but guaranteed to stack bugs on people constantly for easy access to the throw KB and regular usage of unbreakable Deadly Swarm calls. You get to do some weird zoning shenanigans against rushdown characters (puddle, strep, regular projectile) or lock down zoner / midrange characters with the usual Strep setups.

There's an odd satisfaction going from locking down a Jax/Jacqui/whatever other rushdown character to stack bugs to sitting full screen locking them down with puddles, strep, bug projectiles, and eventual swarm calls to kill.

Second Saint

I stan Widow's Kiss + Strepsiptera as the best kustom, especially if we ever get some compensation buffs to strep for the knockdown advantage nerf since no setup works well anymore. Neutral and anti-zoning is there. Setups are weaker than they were, but they're still there, and they do real damage. +40 unbreakable restands. Can absolutely delete a life bar with fatal blow by setting up a guaranteed 50/50 strike throw reset where both options do 35% unbreakable and both are safe.

D'vorah's a mess right now, but next patch we could be in an amazing spot from something as simple as reducing Strep recovery by 4 frames and increasing hit advantage on back throw.

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Sacrificing the safety of Katipo Rush just for a 7% damage overhead gimmick with Flippin' Out just is not worth it in my opinion.
I stand corrected. Deadly Swarm + Strep + Flippin' Out is absolutely ridiculous. It greatly limits your pressure options when Strep isn't out; but once it gets going with Strep setups and B3xxFlippin Out / B34 / low poke / F4 / Flippin' Out / sweep / grab mixups, it's beyond stupid. It demands a LOT of respect because Flippin' Out is absolutely massive and Strep does its usual shit. Definitely the best variant of Buzzed imo.

Don't play it against zoners, though. You'll be fucked.

EDIT: also, Flippin Out does a splat knockdown with low enough recovery for D'Vorah to allow easy Strep setups midscreen and corner. It's not guaranteed Strep pressure at midscreen, but most people are back dashing to get out of Strep range which results in you easily being able to lock them down via B34, F1, F2, or Flippin' Out to chase them.

Last edited:

Malec

Noob
Strep + Windows Kiss is the way to go. As a buzzed main, the biggest issue was the zoning, D'vorah got zoned out so hard. Now you get the set play, increased damage and anti zoning.
Only thing D'vorah misses now is a real punish of her 1,2