What's new

D'vorah General Discussion

So the combo i do from widows kiss is...

I use F22 as a neutral from a distance and when it hits I go F22 xx widows kiss Amp, J2, F13 xx DF2 Amp to give more damage over time.

BUT i had NO IDEA Amp BF4 puts all the bugs on the opponent. THATS A MAJOR GAME CHANGER! So now im ending my combos with that to get all them bugs!

So Deadly Swarm i think ur referring to DD2 that costs a bar of meter, basically has whatever bugs you have on your opponent to attack them causing quick DoT damage depending on how many bugs you have, then they come back to you. So that moves basically is a great way to checkmate your opponent OR I've seen it used in the middle of a combo while the opponent is in the cocoon of Amp Widows kiss.

I'm actually gonna try that in training mode when i get home because that looked swaggy as fuck! OOOOOO Thank you for that info!
You can use dd1 in combos but it's hard as hell. For example, for specific combos with dd1 and Krushing Blows:

df2 (KB) dash microdash 4 xx db3 amp dd1 j3 dash f13 df2 (574 dmg)
df2 (KB) dash microdash 4 xx db3 amp xx dd1 j3 dash f13 xx FB (724 dmg)

In theory, you can replace the double dash 4 with ji1 f13 but I need to get home to test it. I haven't messed around with Arachnophobia since I went on my crazy Buzzed journey. I originally saw these in Dark Lord's videos. You may not need to micro-dash between the jump-in kick and f13 but I like to.

As @Second Saint mentioned, you can also do db3 amp xx db1 ji1 f13 if you want to add some extras flavour. I don't have the damage numbers for those but the above is an alternative (with literally perfect time) that you can use to both do db3 amp and bring your bugs back for whacky damage in the right circumstance.

I will verify this once I get home.

Immortal Reaver

Team Sub-Zero
Anyone else think that Mother Bug needs a big change? It's not worth two slots at the moment. barely even worth one. I think Mother Bug should activate upon death every single time. Not when just near death.

freerf245

11 11 11 11
She definitely has some pretty strong tools. Df3 is one of the best oki tools in the game, and her j1 is also up there. Just needs her f22 krushing blows changed and maybe give her the ability to do 12 exdb1 and she’d be able to compete imo.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Meant to post this last week. Nothing crazy, but if you follow up a straight wasp with a jump interactable, you can combo into JI1 if the wasp should hit. Makes it a more attractive option in that spacing.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Anyone else think that Mother Bug needs a big change? It's not worth two slots at the moment. barely even worth one. I think Mother Bug should activate upon death every single time. Not when just near death.
Did you see that video on Reo's channel where the Scorpion player had trouble hitting her? Seems like it might be legitmately broken in some matchups though I can't say I've labbed it. But I do agree about it always activating in the final round, seems unreliable in the current form.

HapHaxion

"Knowledge" - Taio Cruz
Real talk to gauge opinion: which matchups do you think D'Vorah wins (if any), and if she doesn't win any, which are evens?

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
If she wins any matchups, I don't what they'd be. In my experience, winning a matchup means you tend to either firmly control the pace of the match, with space control or zoning, while going even or better up close, or having rushdown/neutral tools the other character doesn't have an adequate counter for.

The only character I've ever felt D'vorah controls the pace of the match against is Jacqui, and Jacqui is ridiculously better when she gets in. I don't think D'vorah's rushdown tools are particularly oppressive, and all her neutral buttons are just slow.

It's very hard to think of a matchup in d'vorah's favor with the age of the game, her lackluster startups and whiffing issues always hurting her.
But for losing matchups geras comes to mind immediately. On top of the constant threat of sand trap in neutral or blockstrings his 6f up2 can blow up your setups if you don't lab the routes (which are simple to be fair).

Second Saint

I mean she's meant to be a setup character though, right
I include setups as part of the umbrella of rushdown, seeing how it's just offensive oki for the most part. But actually analyze what she gets off these setups. With amp df3 she gets a strike/throw 50/50 for around 220 or 270 respectively, with the throw being neutral duck d2 punishable. The whole setup even goes away if they d2 KB you. Not bad, but certainly nothing spectacular or out of the question, despite the opinions some people have.

If you overhead, great you've done 70 damage and now have the opportunity to guess on their wakeup if they have enough bar to wakeup, roll, whatever. What people tend to do is delay wakeup so they have to deal with less of the strepsitera. You can no longer get a throw combo at this point, and comboing off the low is doable, but rather difficult.

Ok, so maybe don't go for the straight mix. Do what Sonic Fox does and d4~db1 to try and go for the htb. Definitely not a bad option. You get an entire what...13% off it, while you already had to leave about 7% damage on the table just for that opportunity? And you're -16 if they block it.

My point is that, while these setups are nice enough, you don't really just roflstomp anybody with them. The kind of damage D'vorah gets off her 2 bar setups, some characters like Baraka can just do at will in the corner.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
What is her best punish? I can't seem to get any damage off standing 1. Hell, doing 12~db4 does 3% less damage than just throwing. Even burning a bar on it does less than a throw. Nothing else seems to kombo, other than standing 4~amp.db1, but that's a risky 11-frame punish.

Second Saint

What is her best punish? I can't seem to get any damage off standing 1. Hell, doing 12~db4 does 3% less damage than just throwing. Even burning a bar on it does less than a throw. Nothing else seems to kombo, other than standing 4~amp.db1, but that's a risky 11-frame punish.
In Buzzed, there's 12 1+3, and that's about it. It's one of the most requested and necessary buffs that she needs. Just having 12~amp db1 link would be massive for D'vorah.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Would BF4 be considered Dvorah's restand?
That's a +4 restand, yeah. And it's a legit restand, as in it will put the opponent into a standing state from a juggle state. However, when referring to her restand, most of the time they are referring to her db4. This isn't a true restand, in that if the opponent is airborne then the db4 will knock them down. But as long as they are grounded, it won't launch them and will keep D'Vorah +13.

@Second Saint @Under_The_Mayo I just discovered a new Strepsiptera setup. If you drop down an amplified df3, you can immediately go into b34, which will juggle the opponent into the bugs and allow for a kombo. This even works mid-screen, though you seem to have to delay the b34 a little. Either way, it seems utterly safe.

Last edited:

Second Saint

That's a +4 restand, yeah. And it's a legit restand, as in it will put the opponent into a standing state from a juggle state. However, when referring to her restand, most of the time they are referring to her db4. This isn't a true restand, in that if the opponent is airborne then the db4 will knock them down. But as long as they are grounded, it won't launch them and will keep D'Vorah +13.

@Second Saint @Under_The_Mayo I just discovered a new Strepsiptera setup. If you drop down an amplified db3, you can immediately go into b34, which will juggle the opponent into the bugs and allow for a kombo. This even works mid-screen, though you seem to have to delay the b34 a little.
Sadly, that is known, but good job finding it independently. Here's a couple setups for you, not all of them viable, but they can be pretty swaggy.

Midscreen if you setup with [starter], amp db1, micro dash, 21~amp df3

Against large characters, you can combo off of f22u1+3, and it becomes safe because the strep bugs hit right after the u1+3. You can also throw from the same setup, making for some high damaging mix potential. Smaller hurtbox characters are sadly just out of range for this to work.

In the corner, if you read an u3 wakeup after an amp df3 setup, you can nj3, d2, 4~ender for another setup or over 300 damage. The strep keeps them from hitting the ground long enough to continue the combo. Typically, the setup I use to start this is amp db1, 1,1, 4~amp df3. How much hit advantage you have changes how this works.

Not super useful, but pretty cool is that you can combo off a raw d2 from the aforementioned setup, even with reg strep, for a good amount of damage.

If you do a raw db4 from a strep setup, it actually becomes plus on block. How plus depends on the size of the character, ranging from +3 to >+20, depending on if the bugs get time to orbit or explode on their feet.

The interesting part is what happens on hit, provided they don't jump. 2 things can happen, depending on hurtbox size. The strep bug hits right at the end of db4 hit advantage and links or does not. If it links, you're +30 something. Enough that they have to hold a neutral jump.

If it doesn't link, it is one of the few scenarios where they well and truly must block after db4 on hit. It hits before the end of the hit advantage and starts a combo clean. If you hit confirm it from amp df3, you can launch with nj3 or d2. If you just commit from a reg df3, you can launch with nj3.

Tanya-Fan-28

TanyaShouldBeInMK11
Sadly, that is known, but good job finding it independently. Here's a couple setups for you, not all of them viable, but they can be pretty swaggy.

Midscreen if you setup with [starter], amp db1, micro dash, 21~amp df3

Against large characters, you can combo off of f22u1+3, and it becomes safe because the strep bugs hit right after the u1+3. You can also throw from the same setup, making for some high damaging mix potential. Smaller hurtbox characters are sadly just out of range for this to work.

In the corner, if you read an u3 wakeup after an amp df3 setup, you can nj3, d2, 4~ender for another setup or over 300 damage. The strep keeps them from hitting the ground long enough to continue the combo. Typically, the setup I use to start this is amp db1, 1,1, 4~amp df3. How much hit advantage you have changes how this works.

Not super useful, but pretty cool is that you can combo off a raw d2 from the aforementioned setup, even with reg strep, for a good amount of damage.

If you do a raw db4 from a strep setup, it actually becomes plus on block. How plus depends on the size of the character, ranging from +3 to >+20, depending on if the bugs get time to orbit or explode on their feet.

The interesting part is what happens on hit, provided they don't jump. 2 things can happen, depending on hurtbox size. The strep bug hits right at the end of db4 hit advantage and links or does not. If it links, you're +30 something. Enough that they have to hold a neutral jump.

If it doesn't link, it is one of the few scenarios where they well and truly must block after db4 on hit. It hits before the end of the hit advantage and starts a combo clean. If you hit confirm it from amp df3, you can launch with nj3 or d2. If you just commit from a reg df3, you can launch with nj3.
I literary wrote all this down. Defo will try this in the lab. Dumb question but what does nj3 mean?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations

@Second Saint @Under_The_Mayo I just discovered a new Strepsiptera setup. If you drop down an amplified df3, you can immediately go into b34, which will juggle the opponent into the bugs and allow for a kombo. This even works mid-screen, though you seem to have to delay the b34 a little. Either way, it seems utterly safe.
Yes. I don't want to sound snarky but I'm pretty sure everyone has known that since launch. Just saying.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
The patch buff to D'vorah's ex bug is very significant. It now comes out on block, and if its very early, it reduces the bug count to 2.

This allows for way more gimmicks in pressure. Try experimenting with block strings into EX bug. 2 1 bug. F1 bug. 4 bug.