What's new

D'Vorah Early Breakdown

Hello fellow D'Vorah users. I've been maining her since the beginning of the game and I honestly think she is being slept on just a bit. I also don't see much action in the D'Vorah tech department, so I thought I'd give a go at my first ever guide and dump all my D'Vorah Strats, knowledge and tech into it. Hopefully you guys can learn something new, lab the character and help me out with some stuff too :).

Character Pros/Cons

Pros:
-Strepsiptera (df+3, aka Pooping Bug) is the best pressure/trap move in the whole game.
-Far reaching normals
-Good Anti Airs
-Overheads and Lows
-Best Jumping 1 I've seen so far.
-3 different moves she can set up and pressure behind.
-Can zone some characters out with traps
-Quick Mid special (db+4) that's +13 on hit, can be made safe with Amplify. Very good chip out move

Cons:
-Slow Normals
-Her only mid (f+ 2,2) is i20 and -15 on block.
-Her f+1,3 also comes out at i15 and the first hit is a high
-Both these strings are the only way she can convert into a launch.
-8f d+1
-Gets Zoned Out (without Widows Kiss)
-Relies on Grabs to open opponent up, up close
-Poor Punishing Game on safer moves
-Has to get pressure going
-Only 1 reliable Krushing Blow
-Low combo damage, and low damage output over all
-Hard to win with

Tournament Variations

Buzzing Hive:
Strepsiptera (df+3 aka Pooping Bug)
Air Ticking Bug (air bf+1)
Parasite. Additional Normals: [1,2 1+3] [f+2,2,d+1+3] and [f+2,2,u+1+3]

Survivalist:
Widow's Kiss (db+3 teleport)
Swarm (dd+1, Bug passive with unavoidable damage)

Krushing Blows
Df+2 (Counter an Air attack, can combo into dash f+1, 3 mb db+1)
1,2 1+3 [Parasite Only] (Counter/Punish)
F+2,2,d+1+3 [Parasite Only] (Triggers if opponent “Blocks Late”)
F+2,2,u+1+3 [Parasite Only] (Triggers if Last hit is the first to hit opponent)
D+2 (Standard)
Throws (Standard)

Normals
Ok let's talk about her normals. We ALL know that there was a giant list of nerfs to D'Vorah's normals and I won't lie it sucks not having the amazing vanilla D'Vorah. We can still make this move list work with some practice.

Jumping 1
Lol, such a good jumping move. Honestly the best I've seen in the game so far. So much range and very abusable. If you have your opponent cornered and you're right next to them you can jump back with 1… and it'll reach. If they get hit it's a launch with F+1, 3.

1, 2, 1
Standard hard knockdown string. Flawless blockable. Its safe on block but I don't find much use for it because upclose there aren't many uses for highs for her.

1, 2, 1+3 [Parasite Only]
Same start up as the last string but instead you get an extension that hits mid and switches sides. There is also a crushing blow if this hits as a punish. This string is important because D’Vorah can't launch punish any move that's less than -15 on block thus not getting any damage or set up. This Krushing Blow allows her to get some solid damage on punishes between -8 to -15.

2, 1, 222
Starts off high. The second hit is -3 on hit :(. The last part of the string has to be rapid fired but is safe.
I really only use this string in combos

F+1, 3
Ok this move starts off high but it has some range. Can hit the opponent at the beginning of the match. It's also really good at catching jumpers though it's hard to convert off of. This is a crucial string for her because it's one of two that launches into her amplified puddle. I also stagger with it into throws, or cancel into ovipositor for respect. Main tool after Jumping 1.

F+2, 2, 4/F+2, 2, D+1+3/F+2, 2, U+1+3
Very long reaching i20 mid, mid, high. F2,2 itself can combo into amplified puddle for a launch. Risky on block, and whiff. This is her main baiting tool for launches in neutral. She has mixups to stop interruptions via up and down 1+3. D+1+3 being a safe, overhead (be careful, sometimes she will leap over the opponents head instead) option, but flawless blockable. U+1+3 is a grab extension that can be used to catch people trying to punish f2,2 with a krushing blow, but it is unsafe.

B+3, 4
A double low string thats long reaching. Its safe on block but there is a flawless blockable gap. Switches sides on hit. B+3 only combos into db+4 midscreen.

F+4
A sluggish overhead move that's unsafe on block. It's not too good in neutral but once she gets her pressure this move can really start to be annoying for the opponent.

Specials

BF+1
Her firefly projectile.. A slow moving high wavy projectile that can be amplified for two. Not really good in zoning battles.

DB+4
Formerly known as Ovipositor Rush. The regular version hits 3 times. It is a mid thats -14 on block but leaves you +13 on hit. The ex version is five hits, is -4 on block, and has great chip. Very good special over all for her.

BF+4
A high bug spray attack that restands your opponent on hit. Its supposedly +4, but hardly feels that way. Not really that useful because she should be setting up traps instead of restanding.

DB+1
Slow moving floor trap that has to be aimed. The amplified version is your main launching tool. F+1, 3 and F+2,2 into ex DB+1 has to be aimed close in the corner, but midscreen just use the regular one.

Buzzing Hive

DF+3

Strepsiptera/Pooping Bug/Chaos. For this move D’Vorah pops out a pregnant larva bug that hatches a bug that locks on the opponent. The amplified version releases 3 of the same bugs. When she first releases the bug, there is a small window before the bug is hatched where can get hit or block an attack causing the larva to not spawn any bugs. However, once the larva starts hatching, it won't stop for anything that's not a Krushing Blow or Fatal Blow. This move adds endless amounts of mix up and pressure opportunities because the opponent has to respect it or get hit. The bugs offer enough hit advantage to link into themselves and allow D’Vorah to combo into F+1, 3 or F+2, 2. She can also convert off of hits from the air. The bugs act as heat seeking missiles, no teleports or jumps will stop it. The moves only downside is the limited range on the spawned bugs.

The Amplified version is especially dirty because once the bugs start coming out you can mix in F+4 and B+3, 4. If she lands F+4 the same time as a bug hits the opponent will restand and if she lands B+3, 4 the opponent can flip over her head into a bug leading to a juggle chance.

Air BF1
D’Vorah shoots a projectile from the sky that hatches a slow moving bug from the ground that rises up. The amplified version shoots three out creating a tricky situation for the opponent to maneuver around. I like to set up a Df+3 while my opponent is dealing with this to get more pressure going.

GENERAL GAMEPLAN.
So generally for me, I do a lot of checking with jumping 1, d1, d3, d4, grabs. Jumping 1 on any hit can lead into f1,3 into amplified puddle. From the juggle I usually go for a two hit string into a Strepsiptera set up, followed by mix ups. Do not be afraid to amplify that move because the pressure is invaluable. If I get a favorable position with the pressure, I drop another bug. I use a lot of this until I can manage to push them into the corner. In the corner you'll want to keep your distance and look for jumping 1 or f22 openings. Otherwise, more bug traps. She's not very good at opening people up at all so if you're facing a turtle, don't be afraid to drop out DF+3 in neutral. Her DF+3 has very fast start up before it can be canceled so use that to your advantage. You can use it and have the mini bug back you up if your opponent catches you.

That's about it though. A lot of small hits to chip away at your opponents health, and a lot of pressure set ups with her bugs. She is definitely fun.

Xeteh

Noob
Thanks for doing this. D'vorah was the character I really wanted to get in to when the game launched but with everyone bailing after the nerfs there's been no information out there.

Xeteh

Noob
I wouldn't say he's skipped past D'vorah. He still plays her but he's using Noob for tournaments... because she's bad.

Ok. If you wanna talk about how bad you think DVorah is there is a seperate forum for that. im not interested in how unviable you guys think she is... im interested in making the current version of her work. So please, some info or tech.
Two things i learned yesterday: she doesnt actually have a krushing blow for her throws. & her ovipositors have a hurtbox on her jump 1 (not sure about other moves)

Last edited:

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Yeah they nerfed her way too much and you know it . I know we aren’t supposed to harass nrs about this stuff, but I seriously am disappointed with the way she as handled. Wether or not if she was not meant to be the way she way day 1, there’s no way absolutely no way she was meant to be like THIS. She feels completely useless unless you legit just whiff punish ALL game long with 24%. Not even asking for buffs I’m just confused as to why she got hit so damn hard.

Yeah they nerfed her way too much and you know it . I know we aren’t supposed to harass nrs about this stuff, but I seriously am disappointed with the way she as handled. Wether or not if she was not meant to be the way she way day 1, there’s no way absolutely no way she was meant to be like THIS. She feels completely useless unless you legit just whiff punish ALL game long with 24%. Not even asking for buffs I’m just confused as to why she got hit so damn hard.
I believe if she stayed the way she was before day 1 patch came out she would be a ridiculous top 3 character. Someone at nrs must have looked at her and said... hell no, nerf this character. Probably because she has two of the best specials in the game.
Im curious if anyone actually plays her or do people just make assumptions on others opinions?

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
Options for her Counterpoke Game:

D1, Throw

Sorry, but that's it...
Db4 is the best thing I've gotten to work. Takes a bar to stay safe though :( She needs meter for literally everything.

Also, this breakdown skips over her 44 string, which is an 11f high, staggerable, 0 on block, and links into puddle or widow's kiss. It's one of her better punishers for the -12 to -14 range.

Ok. If you wanna talk about how bad you think DVorah is there is a seperate forum for that. im not interested in how unviable you guys think she is... im interested in making the current version of her work. So please, some info or tech.
Two things i learned yesterday: she doesnt actually have a krushing blow for her throws. & her ovipositors have a hurtbox on her jump 1 (not sure about other moves)
That’s fair

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
I believe if she stayed the way she was before day 1 patch came out she would be a ridiculous top 3 character. Someone at nrs must have looked at her and said... hell no, nerf this character. Probably because she has two of the best specials in the game.
Im curious if anyone actually plays her or do people just make assumptions on others opinions?
Doesn’t seem like they played her either giving how over nerfed she was.

Almost everyone in here has more than likely tried to make this character work, but she just doesn’t anymore.

You said they nerfed her because she’d be a top three character but that’s a stupid reason. There will always be top tier characters, as long as they aren’t literally broken OP it doesn’t matter if they’re really good, a dev should want all character to be really good, bring up the weaker ones before going crazy with the nerfs on balanced top tiers. Turning a character from really good to almos entirely unviable is just shitty balancing and the changes they gave her don’t even really make much sense. Before she wasn’t even better than the current top tiers anyway, she was not on the level of Geras or Erron or Sonya at all and they got away with all their whacky bullshit making it into the game.

Db4 is the best thing I've gotten to work. Takes a bar to stay safe though :( She needs meter for literally everything.

Also, this breakdown skips over her 44 string, which is an 11f high, staggerable, 0 on block, and links into puddle or widow's kiss. It's one of her better punishers for the -12 to -14 range.
Thank you. i skipped that move on purpose because i wanted someone to help me find a use for it and that sounds like a good one.

Faust

Why you look like we?
Setups after DF3:

B3,4 (bug hits) F1,3xxDF2 - Low mixup, can beat most wake ups either through meaty hit or whiff punish. Mainly loses to back roll because B3,4 doesn't come out on whiff any more.

F4 - effective if opponent is expecting the low. The bug should keep it fairly safe on block.

After DF3AMP:

D1,Throw (bugs hit) F2,2 into whatever - combos out of throw, will even beat throw techs with the right timing. The D1 will stuff wakeup U2.

Pressure:

DF3 makes F2,2xxDB1B kinda safe. Following that you can do:
F4 for a tricky overhead low with the puddle
D1 throw
J.K for an overhead that can lead into F1,3xxDF2

Just watch out for invincible/armour moves.
There are gaps in the pressure, but it usually will only lead to a trade with a 1/D1 in your favour at worst. (To my knowledge anyway, but as no one plays her people won't know the setups and how to counter them )

Ive been looking at her knockdowns. 3, f223, 121.... A naked 3 punish allows for cross over attempt into pressure. i believe you can also get a bug out and block wake ups immediately (need to test more cast). Any knockdown over 35 frames allows bug. After F223 free crossover jump kick...

Not much but ever little bit helps. I for one been abusing D4 into bugant max distance and neutral jump 1...covers lot of ground and at right distance can jump 1, d4/f4..been an effect poke game