What's new

Guide - Brood Mother D'Vorah Brood Mother Complete Guide + Set Ups, Combos, Tech and More

One of the issues I found at Combo Breaker was that everyone tech rolls, so my setups posted above are less effective. So, I went to the lab to find setups that leave the opponent closer, making my setup even if they tech roll. While looking for these, I also happened across a setup where dvorah actually throws the bug backwards, then he runs away and comes back, giving a completely different for when the bug comes in. It's not hard to do and it's really useful.

Setup that leaves them close even if they tech roll:

Setup that sends the krawler backwards then he runs back to catch up:

Both of these use crossunder in juggles by using f1, then krawler. The setup where the bug goes the wrong way is great for jump over attempts. You can send the bug away, then cross over jip, reversing their wakeups, while the bug prevents them from back dashing, and also the bug and your jip hit overhead low at almost the same time, making the setup beat armor too. So dirty.
Totally! Im in! :)

alkipot

Purse first, ass last.
I mainly use Venomous and sometimes Swarm Queen, but if this variation can counter Grandmaster Sub, then I'm gonna have to pick it up. Good Stuff Vak and johnny2d. I've been sleeping hard on this variation.

Seriously, fuck Grandmaster Sub-Zero.

I mainly use Venomous and sometimes Swarm Queen, but if this variation can counter Grandmaster Sub, then I'm gonna have to pick it up. Good Stuff Vak and johnny2d. I've been sleeping hard on this variation.

Seriously, fuck Grandmaster Sub-Zero.
you are welcome sir

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I found bnbs where krawler resets by the end of the combo, making the setup loopable. It's hitting twice so it beats 2 hit armor. Right now the setup is weak to back dash and tech roll, but in the last video you can see an early attempt at beating them (the setup leaves them right under you so your krawler and overhead will hit even if they roll or backdash)

This version uses a crossup variation on their wakeup.

This version uses my anti tech roll crossunder tech to start the loop, then uses the straight jump in and cross up jump in for the rest of their health bar.

I don't think any one setup will take whole lifebars in tournament, but my goal with this variation is to get a hard to blockable off any touch, that leads back to another hard to blockable that I can vary with options. If we can make these setups beat armor, beat tech rolls, beat back dashes, Dvorah could be top. Nasty setups plus her already godlike footsies? HELP ME TAKE THESE SETUP FARTHER GUYS!!!

Next step, and you guys can help me with this! Start using this against tech rolling wakeups and armor wakeups, find the variations that we need to beat opponents in all matchups. The goal is 1 touch gives us a hard to blockable that takes 30%, and leads back to the same situation without interruption. It's in here, just help me find it.

@Vak Phoenix @Under_The_Mayo @ChatterBox

Last edited:

Johnny2d

@ChatterBox I just realized after your Commando Kano post, that you are training partners with one of my teammates! lol ImBlackJames is your boy right? Every time I show him a vid he gets excited to show it to you haha. I'm in STB with him. Help me tech hunt this variation. With the right minds working we can break this variation and this game lol

oh wow amazing work man love what I've seen so far in your first post. I'm a Swarm Queen main and tbh I've been getting a bit bored with the same combos and setups with her, will definitely look into Broodmother now. another + is no hood looks badass

Johnny2d

oh wow amazing work man love what I've seen so far in your first post. I'm a Swarm Queen main and tbh I've been getting a bit bored with the same combos and setups with her, will definitely look into Broodmother now. another + is no hood looks badass
I hated no hood at first, but it's grown on me. Yeah this variation stood out to me immediately since I love labbing up tech. I try the others once in a while just to stay well rounded but I just feel Brood Mother has so much long term, and FUN, depth.

I hated no hood at first, but it's grown on me. Yeah this variation stood out to me immediately since I love labbing up tech. I try the others once in a while just to stay well rounded but I just feel Brood Mother has so much long term, and FUN, depth.
Aye I wanted to wait till tech was found never really thinking it would be as good as what's in this thread. How well does she deal with being zoned out/kept away? With swarm queen it would be quite tough to time a pool in between quick projectiles, was wondering if bug blast solves this

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
@ChatterBox I just realized after your Commando Kano post, that you are training partners with one of my teammates! lol ImBlackJames is your boy right? Every time I show him a vid he gets excited to show it to you haha. I'm in STB with him. Help me tech hunt this variation. With the right minds working we can break this variation and this game lol
Nice! I didn't notice the STB under your name. He's absolutely my boy, lives down the street from me too. We're road tripping eleven hours with some other locals to TCW this weekend. His Shinnok is gonna break some hearts.

I LOVE those krawler setup vids. You did the one thing I didn't think was possible any more, a krawler to krawler combo. I'm a huge fan of that crossunder f1 krawler setup, it always confuses people long enough to win a 2/3 set. I'm hoping she gets to Quan levels of hard-to-blockable status, except we already have to wait so long I honestly don't assume it would get nerfed.

Good stuff! Really good stuff!

Johnny2d

Aye I wanted to wait till tech was found never really thinking it would be as good as what's in this thread. How well does she deal with being zoned out/kept away? With swarm queen it would be quite tough to time a pool in between quick projectiles, was wondering if bug blast solves this
Actually, puddle seems better between fast projectiles than blast. I try to trade with a projectile, but my puddle knocks down. Then when I get up if im up first with enough time, either another puddle, or a blast, or if im up much earlier than them, i put a krawler down. She doesn't really zone in this variation, but she can use the 3 options, puddle, blast, and krawler, to create a situations where she can then run in. Sometimes you have to use all 3, get them to block a blast, then a puddle, then put krawler out, then run in behind it. Whatever you do though, when trying to get in, if you put a kralwer out, know that they want to avoid it, be ready to stuff their jump or catch their armor, or bait their teleport. You need a how are they going to escape this mentality, then start using that as your conditioning, 'I want you to jump at me', 'I want you to armor', 'I want you to block low' etc. But they will almost never just sit in optimal setup territory.

Johnny2d

I LOVE those krawler setup vids. You did the one thing I didn't think was possible any more
I literally shouted out when I confirmed it to be loopable. I didn't think it would be possible either. I thought maybe it was a hidden cooldown buff or something. But I think it's just the longer strings for the combos that allow the bug cooldown to be over.

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Thank you @Vakphoenix and @Johnny2d for your guides! I've played Brood Mother since launch, but I tried to just wing it and figure out setups on my own. These guides will help solidify my knowledge of the variation.

One thing I would advise other potential Brood Mother players is to not obsess over maximizing damage. For example, putting a Krawler down and keeping space with your mixup with f224 is a much better option than trying to do run-up f34 and risk eating a tech roll'd wakeup attack. IMO the safer, smaller damage more frequently gives you better returns than trying to play riskier.

@Johnny2d I've been working with b21 in my Krawler setups since it's a hard knockdown and looks swaggy. I *think* 212~mb puddle b21~krawler works but I have to double check (and yeah the bummer is that it costs a bar).

Also @Johnny2d in regards to conditioning low you left out f42 which IMO is not only a great low conditioner but also a great string to through out to stop run-ins and people who try to play footsies (footsies are forbidden in MKX and should be punished accordingly).

Johnny2d

Thank you @Vakphoenix and @Johnny2d for your guides! I've played Brood Mother since launch, but I tried to just wing it and figure out setups on my own. These guides will help solidify my knowledge of the variation.

One thing I would advise other potential Brood Mother players is to not obsess over maximizing damage. For example, putting a Krawler down and keeping space with your mixup with f224 is a much better option than trying to do run-up f34 and risk eating a tech roll'd wakeup attack. IMO the safer, smaller damage more frequently gives you better returns than trying to play riskier.

@Johnny2d I've been working with b21 in my Krawler setups since it's a hard knockdown and looks swaggy. I *think* 212~mb puddle b21~krawler works but I have to double check (and yeah the bummer is that it costs a bar).

Also @Johnny2d in regards to conditioning low you left out f42 which IMO is not only a great low conditioner but also a great string to through out to stop run-ins and people who try to play footsies (footsies are forbidden in MKX and should be punished accordingly).
Excellent! Thanks for the tips. All of my writing and setups are work in progress, I just wanted to share all thoughts to advance the character. I'll revise as we go.

For b21 setups, you can do 212, mb puddle, b21, then crawler. I think you can also use 212, mb puddle, njp, b21. Then without meter, you can use 212 df1 run xx b21 crawler. The last option is tough though cause its a forward run input followed by b2. I can't do it 9/10 times yet but I'll get there. With all that said I'm not a fan of the distance of it, the opponent is pretty far away and waking up into the bug at a time when overhead doesn't really connect at a similar time. I found it to be much hassle with little reward, however I want you or someone else to prove me wrong and make it viable because I love it! As is now, I'm most interested in finding setups that put them at my feet so I can beat armor and tech rolls, but I'm open to all ideas advancing this variation of course :)

Oh, and f42 is love and life <3

@Johnny2d thanks for the tips gonna try and use the Krawler to bait more like you said.

Bit of a tangent but has anyone messed about with big blast cancels after f112 ? Mainly as a block string I find its just fast enough to be a frame trap, could be good for pressure

Johnny2d

@Johnny2d thanks for the tips gonna try and use the Krawler to bait more like you said.

Bit of a tangent but has anyone messed about with big blast cancels after f112 ? Mainly as a block string I find its just fast enough to be a frame trap, could be good for pressure
I just realized i should write about how i use cancels in BM. I'll write more when i get home later, but for now, long story short, i like them them after f22 And b1, Mainly because in those strings the opponent is expecting a followup hit in the string. I mainly use them into tick throws. F22 blast cancel immediate throw is so good, and so is b1 blast cancel throw. It essentially turns those strings into throw setups or on hit you can do another 50/50

BillStickers

Do not touch me again.
Bug blast is also wonderfully + on hit, and if you like to play risky, you can condition your opponents to try to punish puddle after a block string and mix it up with bug blast for a guaranteed followup.

Johnny2d

I had a big weekend with Brood Mother!

I won 1st in Shujinkydink's online tournament with her Sunday.
I won 1st in my offline local in Minneapolis Saturday.
I got 17th in Esl, just one match away from top 16 wednesday, ahhhhhh so close. Maybe next week.

Match footage from dink's tournament should be archived, I'll share it here when I get it, all my matches were streamed so you guys can check it out. I don't play this game online very much so I went into the online competition with the idea that I'm going to abuse the cheapest tactics possible to win, like a total asshole, and ended up winning way more than I thought I would. Basically my check right now is to see how they handle f112 puddle, if they can't do anything about it I'll spam it till they are dead, I'm an a-hole, no honor ahaa. Then I use the krawler to help me get in if I need that, or use it in setups if I do land a bigger combo, but really I just kept it simple.

Last edited:

Johnny2d

Did you guys know that f11, df1 xx, 212 is a full combo? This, or f11, df1 xx, 11b2. I've been practicing it, it's very very hard, but might become a bnb if I can get it down. Was just curious if the Brood Mother community knew this or not.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Did you guys know that f11, df1 xx, 212 is a full combo? This, or f11, df1 xx, 11b2. I've been practicing it, it's very very hard, but might become a bnb if I can get it down. Was just curious if the Brood Mother community knew this or not.
Yes, I believe most of us knew that, glad to great you're working on it though. After a couple days I got it consistent in matches too. I think @Vak Phoenix has a whole list of what combos with bug cancels in brood mother.

Carmine

PSN: CaptCarmine
Can someone explain to me the differences between brood mother and swarm queen? and why swarm queen is so much more popular?