What's new

Match-up Discussion Doomsday MU groupings rough draft

I have been playing Doomsday since day 1. So I thought sitting down and writing a MU chart would be generally easy to do. All I learned however, is how little I still know about this game. This game still has DLC characters yet to be released, and with their release comes balance changes that greatly affect MUs. For instance the wakeup window being increased greatly affected the Doomsday vs. Shazam MU numbers, and that change wasn't even a character tweak.

So with who knows how many more DLC characters and balance changes coming, everything in here is completely just a rough guess. Also with me just going to Toryuken, UFGT, and EVO there are still many MUs and players I need to play against to get better ideas on many fights.

So take these guesses with a huge grain of salt.

Matchups I have no clue about:

Batgirl
Harley Quinn
Lobo
Martian Manhunter
Nightwing
Wonder Woman
Zod

Matchups with Doomsday advantage:

Bane
Cyborg
Joker
Lex Luthor
Raven 7-3
Scorpion
Sinestro

Matchups with Doomsday disadvantage:
Batman
Superman 4-6
Killer Frost 3-7
Flash

Even Matchups:
Deathstroke

Matchups I have played but are still too close to call who is at advantage:
Aquaman
Ares
Black Adam
Catwoman
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Hawkgirl
Shazam
Solomon Grundy

Perfect legend's win against Chris G notwithstanding, I believe that Green Arrow is at an advantage over Doomsday:
- DD trait can be timed out with repeated Savage blasts.
- wake up with Savage blast/stinger/hurricane bow, each requiring different answers means that DD needs to guess correctly for every Oki opportunity he gets.
- GA's strong offence means DD is in big trouble the moment he fails to stop a jump or dash in
- Sky alert> super nova.
- jump 3 from Max range beats all of DD's anti airs, even air snatch.
- d2 anti airs DD from all angles, with very lenient timing
- low recovery arrows that are + frames on block and savage blast as a spacing tool mean that GA controls the neutral game.

DD has to rely on 3 things that make the match winnable:
- arrows are single hit, so they don't stop mb venom
- d1 out footsies GA's buttons and interrupts d1, d arrow
- Corner wake up reversal.

Still an uphill battle if GA knows the match up.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
GGA Jeremiah, DD loses to NW, slightly wins versus Lobo, goes even with WW. Imo he does not lose to DS and no way in hell he loses to Shazam. Just because his wake up teleport was buffed doesnt give him any advantage at all. After all he is a rush down character and he ll have to come to DD again. I have played this MU a lot vs Hidan's Shazam.

Against AM is even, he wins against Ares and he loses against BA. CW, GL and GA are even MU's as well.

Against Grundy he might be winning cause he has strings that can make Grundy's WC whiff completely, if done correctly and can hit Grundy if he attempts a WCC. 33 and B13 are such examples. Against KF i believe its slightly in her favor.

MU's i am also clueless about:
Hawkgirl
Batgirl
Flash
Harley Quinn
Zod

I ll be glad to help you make an early MU chart for Doomsday if you like.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Perfect legend's win against Chris G notwithstanding, I believe that Green Arrow is at an advantage over Doomsday:
- DD trait can be timed out with repeated Savage blasts.
- wake up with Savage blast/stinger/hurricane bow, each requiring different answers means that DD needs to guess correctly for every Oki opportunity he gets.
- GA's strong offence means DD is in big trouble the moment he fails to stop a jump or dash in
- Sky alert> super nova.
- jump 3 from Max range beats all of DD's anti airs, even air snatch.
- d2 anti airs DD from all angles, with very lenient timing
- low recovery arrows that are + frames on block mean that GA controls the neutral game.

DD has to rely on 3 things that make the match winnable:
- arrows are single hit, so they don't stop mb venom
- d1 out footsies GA's buttons and interrupts d1, d arrow
- Corner wake up reversal.

Still an uphill battle if GA knows the match up.
Agreed, but if DD corners GA he is fucked. And i m not saying that judging by PL's performance. Savage blast, if spammed, can be punished with a correct MB Nova.

DD can easily trait up and get in with Nova or MB Nova. Building meter for DD is nothing when he is in. 4 blocked ES's and he has his meter back.

GA's godlike j3 can be neutralized by DD's AS, even d2, if the GA player gets to be too jumpy.

2 MB Venoms on hit and GA is in the corner.

d1 to trait can help DD stay in while he is pressuring GA.

Imo its an even MU.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
I have been playing Doomsday since day 1. So I thought sitting down and writing a MU chart would be generally easy to do. All I learned however, is how little I still know about this game. This game still has DLC characters yet to be released, and with their release comes balance changes that greatly affect MUs. For instance the wakeup window being increased greatly affected the Doomsday vs. Shazam MU numbers, and that change wasn't even a character tweak.

So with who knows how many more DLC characters and balance changes coming, everything in here is completely just a rough guess. Also with me just going to Toryuken, UFGT, and EVO there are still many MUs and players I need to play against to get better ideas on many fights.

So take these guesses with a huge grain of salt.

Matchups I have no clue about:

Batgirl
Flash
Harley Quinn
Lobo
Martian Manhunter
Nightwing
Wonder Woman
Zod

Matchups with Doomsday advantage:

Bane
Cyborg
Joker
Lex Luthor
Raven
Scorpion
Sinestro

Matchups with Doomsday disadvantage:
Batman
Deathstroke
Shazam
Superman

Matchups I have played but are still too close to call who is at advantage:
Aquaman
Ares
Black Adam
Catwoman
Green Arrow
Green Lantern
Hawkgirl
Killer Frost
Solomon Grundy
Peckapowa.

Nice "grouping". I have started to play doomsday a little more and i like his playstyle. Quick question why is shazam disadvantage? Is it only cause of tele?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
There is no way in HELL DD loses to deathstroke and shazam.

shazam has nothing against doomsday, deathstrokes zoning is almost nullified by mb venom and his J3 no longer exists due to air snatch

cR_whiteboi

Jobbers are mouthpieces for gods.
I play the harley matchup a lot against Deg, and it feels even to a slight doomsday advantage. DS and shazam do not beat DD. With DS maybe a 5-5 if anything. The hawkgirl Mu is in DD favor. At least thats with my experience and when I asked trepound thoughts on it. Solomon I'm positive is in DD favor.

cR_whiteboi

Jobbers are mouthpieces for gods.
Green lantern I think is 5-5 to 6-4 GL. DD I also think goes 5-5 with batgirl. BA is in his favor 6-4 imo.

Surprised there isn't a consensus on the Black Adam vs Doomsday match up.
I remember Jeremiah saying it was DD's advantage when the game first came out.
I wish I knew who won the match up... :(

MastererBetty

Your Tears My Strength
From my experience Doomsday j.2 will beat BA dive kick clean and lead o a follow up juggle combo thus leading a honest way to get in on BA without traiting up and MB Chariot Tackle

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I don't really know the MU myself, but I'd guess DD has the advantage vs Harley Quinn.

She doesn't really have anything against his trait, and has mediocre zoning to begin with. She has a short ranged d1, so she can't really use it vs DD's long ranged normals, especially with DD's long ranged d1. NJ2 can be punished by his AA grab.

I dunno, it isn't horrible for Harley, but I feel DD doesn't have anything to fear.

Ok I play DD and my bro plays DD (and we both know him very well). His worst matchups are only 4 6. I believe he only loses to Superman, Batman, and Black adam. The rest of the cast, I believe he either goes 5-5 with or beats. I could possibly make a list if needed.

Ok I play DD and my bro plays DD (and we both know him very well). His worst matchups are only 4 6. I believe he only loses to Superman, Batman, and Black adam. The rest of the cast, I believe he either goes 5-5 with or beats. I could possibly make a list if needed.

Also, could you tell us why you think BA beats DD?

Also, could you tell us why you think DD beats BA?
It is definitely a matchup that DD can manage for sure but I can list things that play a big role in BA edging DD out:
*His trait, gives him free damage when DD goes in and since it cools down quickly, it'll be very useful in the matchup. Also if it gets close and BA holds a small life lead, he can use the trait to force DD to not be able to just rush him down because of the fear of taking the damage from his trait.
*Black adam's jump: Since he has such a floaty and big jump, he can actually jump over DD's shoulder charge and punish it as well when doing this. It is something a very few amount of characters can do, so it is very key in the matchup.
*His lightning (forgot what it is called lol): Since DD will be dashing a lot, his lighting can stop him in his tracks. Also meter burn lightning is great for his trait.
*Shock hands: great to use on DD when he is at the right spacing for it and it pushes him back some.
*Plus block strings: This allows black adam to pressure DD some (which most won't be caught doing) and it also builds him meter and etc.
There are lots of things but those are some of the main things for sure.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Agreed with those. But i believe he might also be losing against KF. She can shut down almost all of his options. Since her MB parry grants her a full combo which ends to a vortex makes it a bit hard for DD to compete against her.

Agreed with those. But i believe he might also be losing against KF. She can shut down almost all of his options. Since her MB parry grants her a full combo which ends to a vortex makes it a bit hard for DD to compete against her.
To beat KF, it is definitely going to take some patience and good reads, but I believe DD has what it takes. I haven't seen that matchup played that much, but i'll probably try to run that matchup with some solid KF players (online/offline). It definitely could be a bad matchup for him without a doubt tho.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
To beat KF, it is definitely going to take some patience and good reads, but I believe DD has what it takes. I haven't seen that matchup played that much, but i'll probably try to run that matchup with some solid KF players (online/offline). It definitely could be a bad matchup for him without a doubt tho.
You should. Its a really scary MU if the KF player knows what he/she is doing, because DD cannot play his usual game. Imo use of ES is highly required since it cannot be parried in general when up close.

You should. Its a really scary MU if the KF player knows what he/she is doing, because DD cannot play his usual game. Imo use of ES is highly required since it cannot be parried in general when up close.
definitely, i'll look into that matchup more for sure. Overall he only loses like 3 or 4 matchups (only 4 6s), so he is definitely a super legit character that ppl are finally realizing his real power and how dangerous he is.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
Nightwing is even. Arrow is even.
They can both neutralize his Trait when played right, but neither has a particularly strong way to avoid being run over.
Sky Alert beats Nova, but loses to Venom.
MB Venom beats Trait Arrow, but loses/gives a check to Savage Blast on block.
Doomsday has the mobility and the best D1 in the game. Yeah, I said it.
But Arrow has the meter-free special diversity.
And Nightwing has Ground Spark, the Spins, and speed.

Even. Both of them. Pretty sure.

deathstrokes zoning is almost nullified by mb venom and his J3 no longer exists due to air snatch

I play Slips Deathstroke a lot. MB Venom does not do what you think it does. The armor is not activated until you meter burn it. Even then when the armor is active you only get 1 hit of armor. Every time Deathstroke shoots he shoots 2 shots, therefore destroying the armor move.

As for J3, yes air snatch works if they jump in deep, but if they are far away there is a point where air snatch does not grab the sword, and DD gets hit by J3.

Also Deathstroke is no slouch up close no matter how much M2Dave downplays him.

Deathstroke also deals very nicely with DD's trait because his meterburn gun shots have so many hits and hold DD in place.

So all in all if the Deathstroke is good you cannot bully him at all, in fact Doomsday has to respect his zoning and get in just like everyone else.

At the very worst this MU is even. There is no way DD wins this MU against Deathstroke as the game stands now.

Can anyone elaborate on why the Lex matchup would be considered favorable to Doomsday?

Feels like it is Lex at advantage, or 5-5 at most, but a 6-4 for Doomsday?