What's new

Does Skarlet needs buffs?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I've seen this talk on discord often and how weak she is against scorpion, first weeks was about how Standing 2 should be a mid, and now some want a faster overhead and safer, a bf3 amp launching straight up, less recovery on b4 and a bunch of things in particular which imo would break the char.

I currently think she can manage with what she was given even now, on her current state she definitely feels well balanced, for this reason after been playing both variations for a while if i had to make skarlet according to what i think it would ne nice to have it wouldn't be on any of those tools which were referenced on above specially the bf3 amp vertical launch.

I would instead give Skarlet better reward by landing some of these hits differently by doing the following.

1. Float gravity decrease, which would make characters fall slower by 3 to 4 frames once in the air when the following moves hits
last hit of 212 on the ground as first launching hit
standing 1 if hits airbone
last hit of 1, 2 string when it hits opponents in the air
bf2 when it hits opponents in the air.
Last hit of B3, 4 on the ground as first launching hit
Bf3 amp slightly better recovery on hit instead of vertical launch so she can land some hits in the corner much easier

Result: This would give Skarlet different ways to convert air damage explore combo diversity without the need of recurring to the exact same combo every single time, allow her to burn some bar instead of saving constantly to regain health which would be a nice trade.

2. Reduce Dagger Dance startup frame by 1 or 2 frames
Result: This would actually help her use strings against 9f reversals which currently she can't do it and has 90% of her strings disabled, there is only one way to by pass this, but the alternative solution would be having all her gapped strings having the same cancel adv as standing 1, so her reversal would still be 9f but she would be able to parry 9f BAP as well.

3. B2 KB its the weakest KB she has its not even worth the effort when 124~tentacle does the exact same when the oppoent its a -8 on block and doesn't need requirements at all, so i would make B2 launch on KB no damage boost, but a vertical launching animation she can gain a combo from it would be much appreciated.

4. Blood Sacrifice, remove from the variation, put it on trash bin, replace with something more useful, maybe blood rain or blood aura, if you don't want to remove it, redesign it, instead of both characters taking health damage, make Skarlet steal 1.5% health each time. So far this its her worse special move i always forget its even on the viariation, considering how long it takes to drain health, and how slow it is to recovery no one dares to use this move at all.

Other than that, i don't think s2 needs to be mid, b2 doesn't need to be faster or a different KB requirement, certainly doesn't need to be safe, her strings don't need to be any faster, her pokes don't need to be less negative, her standing 1 already has a good hit box, bf3 amp doesn't need to vertical launch and have good recovery at same time.

With these changes Skarlet wouldn't really need anything else for the entire game imo.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
I feel like currently in the meta, she’s strong, but her strings are sooooo gappy (with the exception of the ever underrated 44) I feel like she will fall down the tier list soon when FB becomes more common :(

E

Eldriken

I feel she is completely fine as is. Your suggested changes to float gravity would be welcome for sure.

Faster b2? Nope. Safer b2? Nope. Better KB for b2? Yes.

S2 as a mid? Not necessary. Applying your tech with f43 pretty much makes it a mid anyway. It's just not one you have all the time.

I feel that people who understand Skarlet and how her tools flow together know she doesn't really need any changes. She sits rather well amongst the cast in the current meta, imo.

E

Eldriken

I feel like currently in the meta, she’s strong, but her strings are sooooo gappy (with the exception of the ever underrated 44) I feel like she will fall down the tier list soon when FB becomes more common :(
There are ways around this. Staggers, canceling into parry, etc. It all becomes a matter of conditioning and adaptation after a certain point if both players are skilled.

Elias6999

Mournful Master
There are ways around this. Staggers, canceling into parry, etc. It all becomes a matter of conditioning and adaptation after a certain point if both players are skilled.
What staggers do you use? Tbh i just use F4, the rest seem easy to blow up

Not a pro Skarlet but imo they should give her Boiling Point instead of the useless Blood Sacrifice (atleast this was the Loadout i was playing most in Beta) it greatly improves her combo damage and also is a useful low.

4 4 + AMP Boiling Point is 286 as a 10f Punish would be a bit more reliable to punish a AMP Scorpion TP.

Then wait and see if this buff was enough.

Last edited:

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Since characters play two different games in MK11 I think it all depends on the route they take. If Geras/Sonya/Erron/etc is what they're looking for then yes give here the launcher blah blah. If they are toning down the top to be in line with the middle then she's pretty much an ideal candidate of how a character should be designed. I don't think her gaps should be fixed, I think other characters need more gaps (amirite Kabal and Cassie?).

Assuming they patch towards the middle, the only buff I'm sold on is more damage to B2 KB and two parries instead of three for the parry KB. If it's slow and punishable the way it is, and requires two in a row, I prefer it does 280 damage or something along those lines like other KBs that hit hard. It's rare I hit or see anyone hit 3 parries in games against good players, so I think it should be two.

Other than that again, I think she's one of the characters you build "towards" to make the game play perfect.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I feel she is completely fine as is. Your suggested changes to float gravity would be welcome for sure.

Faster b2? Nope. Safer b2? Nope. Better KB for b2? Yes.

S2 as a mid? Not necessary. Applying your tech with f43 pretty much makes it a mid anyway. It's just not one you have all the time.

I feel that people who understand Skarlet and how her tools flow together know she doesn't really need any changes. She sits rather well amongst the cast in the current meta, imo.
i'm still kinda divided either she needs anything neutral wise or not, ouside of juggle gravity relaxation there isn't really that much to change.

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
I feel like skarlet is fine for the most part. What I would really like to see her getting is:
-Faster b1 so you can use it more in the neutral
-More damage from her B2 KB
-Faster frame start up on her parry
-Rework some of her useless specials
I also wouldn't mind changing the way gravity works on 212 if it allowed for easier combos but if she gets that then more characters should too.

I can only think of two to three buffs she "needs"

1) increase the window to amplify bf2; like prolly the same window needed to amplify blood drive bf4.

2) does she have a "get off me" move? if no, I suggest buffing bf3 as a panic button (keep the on block frames tho; I was thinking this to be her "dp" move). if she already has, ignore.*

3) 6f d1. no other changes.

* I don't count teleport as a getoff me move because blood drive doesn't have it.

all in all; I'm quite happy with how skarlet is designed and I prolly still use her as my baraka alt even without significant changes.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
For me, I dunno. I do not think buffs would help my problem with her. I was stocked AF for her and she was right at the top of my dream list for MK11.. but I just can't get into her style. The entire move set just doesn't do it for me. Pretty disappointing : (.

Seeing Sonic user her in top 4 at CB was awesome though.

E

Eldriken

I can only think of two to three buffs she "needs"

1) increase the window to amplify bf2; like prolly the same window needed to amplify blood drive bf4.

2) does she have a "get off me" move? if no, I suggest buffing bf3 as a panic button (keep the on block frames tho; I was thinking this to be her "dp" move). if she already has, ignore.*

3) 6f d1. no other changes.

* I don't count teleport as a getoff me move because blood drive doesn't have it.

all in all; I'm quite happy with how skarlet is designed and I prolly still use her as my baraka alt even without significant changes.
I wouldn't want her d1 to be 6f if it causes her to lose hit advantage. That would ruin her current way of playing. I think it being 7f is fine.

More hit advantage on pokes.
That -10 11f +3 on hit d3 is not okay
Use d4 if you're gonna use a low poke. If you want good advantage off of a poke, use d1. It starts her whole f4(3)/stagger/throw/44 game.

E

Eldriken

+8 d1 into 13f buttons in the same game as Jax or Geras +13 d1s into 9f/11f mids

I just don't like it. It's way stricter than it needs to be
Fair enough. :) Thanks for being reasonable with your explanation and not blowing me up. =P

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
imo i think she's pretty solid as is. provided she doesn't get any changes in the patch she'll get better with all the idiotic top tier getting their adjustments.

E

Eldriken

His d1 is +13 on hit? Good grief. I never looked at its hit advantage, just its negative frames.